Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Modding: Advice for Getting Started?

TyrianPrinceTyrianPrince Posts: 44 Member
So I'm going down the rabbit hole, my game is modded to a ridiculous extent, and I honestly want to start modding myself (maybe even fixing some dead mods I've had to relinquish to my 'waiting for update' folder). At this point, a lot of my questions are, where to start? I'm less interested in straight-up CC and moreso interested in learning how to create gameplay mods, tuning mods, overrides, add-ons and even some more complicated gameplay mods that may involve some level of CC (objects that can be interacted with) and animation. My understanding of script is somewhat dated (last time I really did any kind of major programming was...2009 I think?), limited mostly to web design. But I pick up on languages fairly quickly so I'm more than happy to jump into a new programming language and run with it, since I know a lot of what I'm wanting to do will involve learning Python, I've already found a few useful sites for familiarizing myself with the script, but getting familiar with s4pe is something else I really want to work on.

When it comes to modding specifically for the Sims, Google search is a bit overwhelming and some of the results, less than helpful for me. I'm very much a learn-by-doing person. I don't get much benefit from videos, audio, or the like, but rather prefer written instructions, like a how-to where I can easily approach each step at my own pace. I've found the sims wiki tutorials and I can see I've got my reading cut out for me, but where should I start? Is it okay to just jump into General Modding and go back to CAS, Patterns/Walls/Floors, Objects and Building if needed or should I go through it all? And what all do I need so I can make sure I've got it to practice with from the get-go (S4PE aside)? Are there any other more straightforward, better organized resources available for learning to mod? And before I get my hopes up and run into this like a cat on catnip, as someone who currently has little/no income going on disability, am I completely screwed if I can't pay for programs and don't have every EP/GP/SP going into this? I'm slightly overwhelmed, but excited to have found something I might really be able to get into during my good days that can help others since I've been unable to work, but I don't want to jump into it and get excited only to find that I have to pay to make a certain type of mod or people who have packs I don't own can't use or experience glitches I can't fix with a mod I make.

So, advice? Experience? Reassurance? Any help and even stories about how you got into modding, what your experience has been, would be greatly appreciated. Maybe even some input from others in a similar situation, just getting started or modding-curious individuals who can relate?
Post edited by TyrianPrince on

Comments

• darlin9999999999darlin9999999999 Posts: 2 New Member
    i used to have mods in my game but i got new computer and now my mods wont work at all
  • Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,777 Member
    You might want to check out Zerbu's Mod Constructor as a way to get your feet wet. https://zerbu.tumblr.com/
  • TyrianPrinceTyrianPrince Posts: 44 Member
    Bananas_45 wrote: »
    You might want to check out Zerbu's Mod Constructor as a way to get your feet wet. https://zerbu.tumblr.com/

I've heard good things about the constructor and it's definitely something I'm going to play with, but I'm wanting to get some advice on learning from the ground up as well. A lot of what I really want to do are things like glitch fixing and I'm wanting to learn python so I can explore some possibilities for adding additional gameplay features (things that EA is unlikely to add on their own). I've gotten a few resources for creating different animations from the friends over at the lovely 18+ forums but big thing for me is I can read other's package files in S4PE to some extent, but I'm still a little confused on how to use it myself and how to find what it is I'm wanting to modify in the original game. I'm assuming the source code is available somewhere?
  • Bananas_45Bananas_45 Posts: 6,777 Member
    Bananas_45 wrote: »

I've heard good things about the constructor and it's definitely something I'm going to play with, but I'm wanting to get some advice on learning from the ground up as well. A lot of what I really want to do are things like glitch fixing and I'm wanting to learn python so I can explore some possibilities for adding additional gameplay features (things that EA is unlikely to add on their own). I've gotten a few resources for creating different animations from the friends over at the lovely 18+ forums but big thing for me is I can read other's package files in S4PE to some extent, but I'm still a little confused on how to use it myself and how to find what it is I'm wanting to modify in the original game. I'm assuming the source code is available somewhere?

There is a technical discussion thread where you can find information on source codes: https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/technical-discussions
  • Laureno448Laureno448 Posts: 7 New Member
    This isn’t really a mod, but it’s really helpful. (With cheats on) If you press shift while clicking a sim or an object, you get a bunch of interactions like: reset object (great if your sim is stuck), increase/decrease fame, fill needs (this one is definitely my favourite cuz I’m lazy 😉), turn sim into plant sim, and a bunch more! I just wanted to put this “hack” out there cuz it’s really useful, and I wish when I started playing someone would’ve told me about it!
  • gothiclolitaplgothiclolitapl Posts: 94 Member
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfc7217q3Jg

this video by carl sims guide is a good way to get into thee basics. i was thinking of getting into modding myself as I have a couple of very specific mod ideas/gameplay wishes that I haven't seen being made
    Origin ID: blackrosespl
    My tumblr: https://blackrose-p-sims.tumblr.com/
  • BJPMBJPM Posts: 1 New Member
    I have a question, does anybody know if there is a documentation page where I can take a look at all the classes, functions, objects, etc that are at my disposition for scripting? Or do I have to analyze the python files myself? Cause I am too lazy to do that.
  • MizoreYukiiMizoreYukii Posts: 6,566 Member
    @BJPM There is none, sorry. You might be able find like....1/3rd of them by taking apart large scripting mods, some I can't mention by name for example, but that's unfortunately it.
  • mamacaronimamacaroni Posts: 6 New Member
    Hi guys. Can I save a lot or a sim in the gallery with mods? Will it still be downloaded by others? thanks. Im new here
  • MizoreYukiiMizoreYukii Posts: 6,566 Member
    @mamacaroni Yes and no. They can download it but without a link to download the CC/Mods the sims will lose all the CC/Mods and show up bald, etc.
    > @MizoreYukii said:
    > @mamacaroni Yes and no. They can download it but without a link to download the CC/Mods the sims will lose all the CC/Mods and show up bald, etc.

@MizoreYukii oh I see, Thank you for the answer. :)
  • MerlindosMerlindos Posts: 10 New Member
    You can use too the software Vortex from nexusmods.com, for instal mods.
    Please help! :( I am trying to make simple cc's but I am having transparency issues. I made a cereal box but it is see through, I can see everything on it's background. it's been a month and I can't find answers why. Someone please help. :(