The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If You've Actually Played the Star Wars pk Personally...

2...Next

Comments

• stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Catzilla wrote: »
    NOTE: If you have not played the Star Wars Pack first hand and have no intention of getting it ever, this is not the right thread to post your displeasure or troll teh comments. This is also why this is not a poll.

Since the other poll had a lot of input from players who have not played and do not ever intend on playing the Star Wars pack I thought I'd be a little more specific in requesting player impressions of the new pack only from player's who've actually played it.

If you've played the Star Wars pack personally, how do you like it? (It is ok to say if you didn't care for it and why after playing it).

How are you playing this pack? Are you doing straight-up Star Wars gameplay? Going for a post-apocalyptic style? Having a good time with the build and or cas items? Expanding your alien gameplay? Or are you still exploring it? ETA: As per player feedback and what I forgot to add in here: Or maybe playing a steampunk theme, industrial theme or using it as a theme park/amusement park?

Are you finding it or do you think it will be versatile play wise?

What are the coolest things from this pack so far?

If you could tweak just ONE thing, what would you adjust? Just one, please.

It's okay -- I haven't played all the way through it yet, but I know it's not going to be for all my Sims. For my Geeks though it will be a nice diversion; I'll probably make it something they do between University graduation and going out to find a real job. Some I might not play through the entire goals, but just go to get a droid and lightsaber to bring home, especially if I've had them study Robotics. I guess it's more of an amusement park type pack for me, but for specialized Sims; I wouldn't mind having an actual amusement park with roller coasters and carousels and the like.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Simyim wrote: »
    I’m not a Star Wars fan, yet I’m enjoying the pack a lot!

Strengths:

- Build and buy: very versatile for desert towns like Strangerville or Oasis Springs, Steampunk magic and Postapocalyptic worlds. Even for modern industrial apartments or comic shops in Windenburg! The Porg toys are so fun for that. Best use: with debug cheats you can even have functional droids and light sabers for decoration!
    - CAS mode: outfits are amazing, and you can even combine some pieces with normal outfits. For instance Rey’s suit goes great for forest elves! Spell casters can also benefit from it, and your local geek club too. Best use:write cas.unlockbytag GP09 to unlock all suits!

Weaknesses

- Travelling between quarters on missions. If you have an old computer (mine is 2012), expect some lag on loading screens (1-2 minutes, thankfully, not as heavy as in other larger worlds)
    - Batuu outfits imposed: your sim will be dressed with a random batuu outift. You can pick the combination, but sometimes you may want to use items outside the allowed ones (alien clothes from Get to Work for instance). I believe there is a mod to fix it :)
    - Kylo and Rey not prepared to work as normal sims. They don’t have recorded voices for normal interactions outside Batuu commands, they cannot be flirted with by default nor visit you outside Batuu... And if you add them to your family, you will lose them as special NPC characters in Batuu. Workaround: there is a mod available to make them “romance-friendly”. And it is better to save them to your gallery and download them into your normal family. They can be very fun to play! They have special interactions like “Inspire to Join Resistance” or “Enthuse about Crushing the Resistance” and many more, they are always ready to pull their weapons out when they are tense and can spar with lightsabers in the middle of Chic Street. Remember to change their voices though so they don’t sound mute when asking other sims about their day.
    - Alien masks not making sims real aliens like Sixam’s. Workaround: create real aliens and use Batuu’s masks on their alien form. For those with a more human appearance, like Vi, Argon, Rey or Kylo, you can add the “fake alien” trait. It will give them alien powers like erasing memories, and they will be recognized as aliens in the game! :)

Thank you for sharing this. I had no interest in playing these characters but now I'm going to get them!! 😃
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    If you've played the Star Wars pack personally, how do you like it? I like it a lot, it is very engrossing. While I had really hoped for a world we could live in, I was not truly surprised by the limits it has, which I am sure were imposed by Disney. The Mouse does not like to share, and when you play in the Mouse House you do it by their rules, knowing they will keep the coolest toys to themselves (such as locking us out of living in the world, building without cheats, romancing Rey or Kylo, or giving us a playable Jedi state). “Real” aliens would have been nice, too.

How are you playing this pack? Are you doing straight-up Star Wars gameplay? Going for a post-apocalyptic style? Having a good time with the build and or cas items? Expanding your alien gameplay? Or are you still exploring it? Still exploring. I’m enjoying building and will be downloading other player builds too. I have one game save especially for Star Wars and plan to put SW builds all over the place. This save represents a universe in which Batuu is real and I’m still working out the logistics of what my various characters will be doing. It is just barely possible I might use it as an amusement park for my “normal” game saves (but more likely, they’ll all get Science-Fictioned and will turn into who knows what).

Are you finding it or do you think it will be versatile play wise? Some might not find it versatile, but since I like to tell stories (even if only to myself) I think it will be very versatile. I like that in Batuu we have 3 different routes to take, as well as the “just wander around and have fun” route. My sims can go back and forth from Simworld to Batuu (through a wormhole, naturally) whenever I want.

What are the coolest things from this pack so far? Lightsabers! Droids! The world itself is stunningly detailed. I love the CAS and BB items, it is absolutely full of great stuff. When I saw how great the CAS and BB stuff was I knew I had to have it immediately. I can use this for any kind of gritty, real-type of SF world, including post-apocalyptic. Some of the clothing options could also be used in gritty fantasy worlds.

If you could tweak just ONE thing, what would you adjust? Just one, please. Oh, man, just one? That’s cruel. ;) As much as I wanted to be a “real” Jedi, I think my tweak would be the droids. I really wish they kept their personalities back in the regular sim worlds. Right now my droid mainly sits in the street right outside the house. I miss him rolling around my sim twittering and chirping and occasionally zapping passersby.
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    I bought it because it went on sale, I played it... and I got bored.

It's essentially another "do this list of tasks" pack. That's it.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member
    edited November 2020
    If you've played the Star Wars pack personally, how do you like it? I’m really enjoying it a lot.

How are you playing this pack? Are you doing straight-up Star Wars gameplay? My Sim has a life that she lives. So, I will go to Batuu and spend a day or two and then back to her life for many weeks.

Having a good time with the build and or CAS items? Building is something I enjoy doing--so, yes. In Oasis Springs I’ve decided to make a Star Wars strip. So, far I have my restaurant where the servers are Twi’lek and the host is wearing a Rebel Flight Suit and the hostess dresses as Princess Leia. I also have a Star Wars nightclub. Still working and thinking on two more different builds to complete my Star Wars strip.

Or are you still exploring it? I play at a balanced slow place. I’m in no rush. So yes, this will continue to be apart of my gameplay.

Or maybe playing a steampunk theme, industrial theme or using it as a theme park/amusement park? I play it as an adventure theme park world. A wealthy entrepreneur named Walt Batuu created this adventure theme park world with all the frills and thrills.

Are you finding it or do you think it will be versatile play wise? It is for me because my Sim goes home to her life; plus, my imagination plays an important part. Sometimes, I’ll just go to Batuu to eat, visit the Cantina, build stronger relationships, play Sabacc, work on my BB-8 unit, buy toys for my little brother or take him for a visit. Plus, I’m only playing with one Sim who joined the Resistance, so it has been very challenging. Having something new and relatable in the game is a plus imo.

• The World
    • Lightsabers
    • Sounds – One being hearing the doors open and close.
    • Cantina bar
    • Sabacc
    • CAS
    • Build items
    • Droids
    • New toys
    • Food and drinks

They did a really good job with the mask and hand items; the mouth and eye movement give it more depth, expression and life—visually stunning.

If you could tweak just ONE thing, what would you adjust? For my BB-8 droid to have the same interactions when we go home. I would have the little fellow be the entertainment at some of my parties.
    Post edited by Hearts4u on
    Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited November 2020
    I bought the pack during the sale.

How are you playing this pack? Are you doing straight-up Star Wars gameplay?
    So far I have played the pack with three sims at the same time, one joined the scoundrels, one joined the rebels and one joined the first order, that made the pack a little bit more fun to play.

Going for a post-apocalyptic style?
    No, but I would like to make my worlds more sci-fi if possible. Star Wars has a lot of sci-fi assets that I could maybe use.

Having a good time with the build and or cas items?
    I don't tend to build much but from what I have seen the build items look really good actually. CAS is a very mixed bag. Some clothes look great and I can combine them with cc to create some cool looking outfits. Some other clothes look absolutely awful, they remind me of old alpha cc or imported textures from other games where the clothes don't match with the body at all.

Expanding your alien gameplay? Or are you still exploring it?
    No, I'm not playing with aliens much, I played a lot with them when Get Together released but I have not played much with them after that.

I am not a star wars fan and I don't build much, so I'm not finding much else.

The spaceships, I wish we could place them in other worlds and they would work like the rocket ship.

If you could tweak just ONE thing, what would you adjust? Just one, please.
    More lots added to the world where different missions could take place and where you could live, traveling back and forth between three lots during missions is becoming incredibly tedious.
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    edited November 2020
    I did buy it to see exactly how the droids were, on sale of course. Used various cheats and mods to bring what I wanted into the game; while ignoring the rest. The droids are really watered down in their function, to the point they are just basically an RC toy with no personality. And no Protocol Droids? When you've got several Astromechs (including such obscure droids as R2-KT), you've gotta have C-3PO.

I also retooled Rey into a regular Sim; using MCCC to bring her into my game without having to actually visit Batuu (which I'll never do--as it will unleash the various aliens into the regular worlds). Not crazy how they didn't even bother to finish her voice.

I recently found a mod that allowed me to edit the lab in Strangerville to my liking; making it a generic research facility, removing all the Mother Plant-related objects and heavily modifying several floors. And even that is buggy, since it allows one to modify the lot by forcing the game to think it's residential--but, stairs are bugged, and you can't change lot types--also you cannot modify it with a household moved in; and you can't modify prior changes you made. It's a real bummer to not be able to change it without mods, which should be what's allowed. Same goes with Batuu as a world, as a whole.
    Post edited by cody6268 on
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    edited November 2020
    I was downloading the pack when I originally posted this and have played with it a bit now.

If you've played the Star Wars pack personally, how do you like it?
    I haven't finished playing through the missions yet but I find they are interesting and I like how far they've gone with them. Overall, I think this pack isn't bad but it doesn't sing for me either (there's a reason for this, I'll explain below).

How are you playing this pack?
    I'm still exploring it and I'm still running it as straight-up Star Wars, I am a Star Wars fan. When I've completed that I'll def look at playing a post-apocalyptic type of game.

I don't think it will be very versatile for a lot of players including myself, I think it will be difficult to make it a more replayable generic scifi theme what with it not being a livable world.

The light saber fights are the coolest thing. I like the sabacc table gameplay too. I also appreciate the new setting and scenery to look at and play with.

If you could tweak just ONE thing, what would you adjust?
    The one thing I most want to adjust is the vacation world thing, I would so much rather have had this as a livable world. I am not a big fan of the vacation type worlds, I want to have full access to all the worlds all the time and be allowed to live in them permanently if I choose.

I think the vacation world idea was great for adding a theme park kind of vacation destination to the game for those who love the vacation worlds. The scripted story is really well done and has some length to it plus you have the three factions POVs to run through. The cantina is nicely done, there are new music and food items as well. While I would have liked a generic Scifi theme over the very specific Star Wars brand I'm ok with it. This was the Brand name that was voted on and chosen to partner with The Sims 4, like Katy Perry and Mochino and etc, and, luckily, I like Star Wars.

For anyone still undecided about it? It's definitely worth getting especially if you're a Star Wars fan and like the build items. TBH, I think it would be a good pack to get on sale unless you love most of the things about it. I bought it full price mainly because I'm a Scifi and Star Wars fan but also because the reactions to this pack were so appalling and over the top it made me feel contrary, I have no regrets buying it at full price. :)
    Post edited by Catzilla on
  • rhaliusrhalius Posts: 453 Member
    I got the pack yesterday and played it quite a few hours.

I'm enjoying it a lot, I like the varied missions. I just made some star wars sims and put them in a household and send them there. First mistake was sending six sims there and running the missions with them so rather quickly I send them home, gave five a job and returned with one sim while the others made money.

Lightsabers are fun, the animations are good. Costumes are mostly alright, some don't quite look like star wars, especially pants look rather bad.
    And they should have added recolours to all outfits. Also for Rey, Kylo Ren and that red resistance jacket.

But the main problem with all of it is that it's too little. EA seems to put all the best ideas into game packs, things that should have been expansions and puts stuff that should be game packs like recycling into big expansions.
    They did it with magic, jungle adventures and vampires. And now with star wars. So we just get like a small sample that will never be followed up on with more material. This should have been a full expansion. Heck it could have been a spin off game series even. Reception would have been amazing if they made it a spin off sims series.

If I could tweak only one thing, it would be less rabbit holes and more buildings to enter.
    The world is not interactive enough. Give us an actual base camp for sims to sleep in. A cool academy or other specific location to take on lightsaber challengers. an actual droid shop to visit like in sims 3 into the future.

But as I said, this should have been a full expansion, and I think there's 10 things they should have added or done differently to make it a full experience:

1. Proper aliens. (I'd add like 3 new aliens fully, mainly acting like humans with minor differences like being recognized as alien and each having one unique ability. And of course them not being a cheap costume. I'd rather have less aliens done right than many done poorly.)
    2. Force sensitive trait. (this could allow the force skill to be learned and only these sims could use lightsabers.)
    3. A region that can be conquered for either the resistance or first order. (missions could work to either protect or conquer it, which could happen through a brief cutscene in which your sim takes on a role you choose for it. Firing a blaster at fleeing people, flying over in an aircraft or fighting either Rey or Kylo Ren with a lightsaber. And then banners change, NPC's in the area change and most importantly, a vendor changes what's in stock, selling unlocks for unique outfits, lightsabers and other items.)
    4. More clothing from the movies. (Proper jedi robes, bounty hunter armours, Finn/Poe's jacket, clothing worn by nobles in the prequels or by Jabba's henchmen, etc.)
    5. Star wars droid customisation options for the university droid type. (would require university and can give insentive to buy that one too.)
    6. A star wars neighbourhood to live in. (Seriously, just have a desert neighbourhood with some star wars themed houses.)
    7. Star wars objects in all categories to fill a house with. (Beds, kitchen electronics, toilets, baths, etc should all be there.)
    8. Star wars versions of various skill objects. (We don't even get a star wars themed space ship for the rocketbuilding skill. Could also be new computers, star wars versions of instruments, a star wars themed meditation chair for wellness, a hologram to talk to to improve charisma, etc.)
    9. Lightsaber being used to prevent brawls. (If you carry a lightsaber you should be able to ignite it to end a brawl when someone tries to attack you. Lightsabers need to serve more purpose either way.)
    10. New star wars related skills. (Lightsaber should be a skill. Also blaster firing which could be done at a shooting range where you can learn trick shots and all that. The force should also be a skill, bit similar to magic. Could be ways to improve it and learn new force powers.)