The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Would you like 64-bit for the Sims 3 on Windows?

As the title says...

I wouldn't mind 64-bit for Windows. o:)
Your Justine Keaton Enthusiast and the Voice of the Sims Community.

Would you like 64-bit for the Sims 3 on Windows? 50 votes

Yes
80%
winkeljohn78Emily4331gettpsSuperkam64CororonJeansooalanmichael1HozrienSk8rblazeSimLibbysmurf45bluesikasika18PhenomIIFXTeeSeaxitneverendssDevalaousTrashmagicmariajane216adamzaidCAPTAIN_NXR7 40 votes
Yes
4%
lisasc360mw1525 2 votes
Justine Keaton
16%
ArchivistGabbyGirlJstarguruigazorColton147147logionAuroraskiesfiggy 8 votes

Comments

• AstroAstro Posts: 6,651 Member
    Yes
    Sure, why not.

Of course, after all these years I've pretty much 'fixed' my game with mods and the like so my game runs perfectly fine. But it would be nice to see how much better it could be with 64-bit.
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    Yes
    Yes, that would be great!

I love playing large worlds that grow both in lots, items and population, and it would be so nice not having to monitor the RAM usage to avoid problems like Error 12.

I wish that the 64-bit version could be installed as a separate game, so the old 32-bit one would still be there. I am very attached to my sims and would like to get used to the 64-bit version and wait for the bugs to be fixed until I move to it completely. I have the old version installed from discs, so it would be very cumbersome to have to re-install them if, for some reason, the downloaded 64-bit version doesn't work properly.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    Yes
    It would be awesome, but I don't know how much effort EA is going to dedicate to it, since Sims4 is their game now.

I hope Sims5 is Sims4 characters but with Sims3 gameplay and worlds.
    I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    Justine Keaton
    I would like it, but I would probably test it on a computer I don't already play on just to be safe. Reading the macOS threads is giving me flashbacks to every time EA broke something in the past.
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    Yes
    Archivist wrote: »
    I would like it, but I would probably test it on a computer I don't already play on just to be safe. Reading the macOS threads is giving me flashbacks to every time EA broke something in the past.

Yeah, I would worry about that too. I think it would be better, as I wrote earlier, if the 64-bit version could be installed as a standalone game, separate from the 32-bit one. They could call it "The Sims 3 64". EA wouldn't lose any money if we had both installed.
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • RsandaRsanda Posts: 257 Member
    edited October 2020
    I am playing since 2012 and I have never ever, not even once, had TS3 use more than 3 GBs of RAM, or had error 12. For those that have these issues, sure update the game to be x64 compatible. But the game has much more important issues in my opinion that comes way before an x64 update.

Routing system would be one of them. Almost every lag this game has happens because of routing issues. Even if the world is garbage, why is this system so hard on the game? At this point, I think routing system needs an overhaul that somehow makes it work ok even in a poorly made world.

Why does the game spawns like 30000 limos that Overwatch needs to clean every night? Why does this game has a clean up system written in it (Source: Twallan's State of the Mod) instead of fixing it in a way that no longer requires a clean up? Why does the pregnant premades in Isla Paradiso cause lag because they constantly try to change to their work clothes but can't because of them being pregnant? (Scott family)

I will obviously still welcome if such an update comes to the game. Upgrading the amount of RAM the game can use can be pretty good. But it won't magically make the game work great in my opinion. There are a lot of issues like those above that needs to be fixed.

Not a native English speaker. Sorry for any mistakes
  • enterprise1927enterprise1927 Posts: 32 Member
    edited October 2020
    Yes
    Just watching this. The game run very smooth.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZgiXXjkHr8

Please don't argue that this is just base game with single sim. I tried this before with single sim and only base game with 1.67 patch applied and no mods/CC. Game stutter very frequent on i9-9900K / GTX 1080 Ti unlike in the video.
    i9-9900K @ 5Ghz core / 4.7Ghz uncore
    16GB Dual Ranks Hynix AFR @ 3500Mhz 16-18-18-36-2T
    ASRock Z370 Taichi
    EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 @ 2126Mhz core / 12600Mhz mem
    Transcend 220S 1TB NVME SSD / 4TB Seagate HDD
    Corsair HX 750W
    Custom water cooling
    NZXT H440
    Acer XR341CK 3440x1440 75Hz G-Sync compatible

• puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Not if it looked anything like the 64-bit Mac version. And EA would make it.
  • OmairaOmaira Posts: 666 Member
    The Sims 3 runs good in my Laptop but I think 64 bit will update the game for the better, and a few players will benefit from it, but, tread with caution, this is EA, they have a knack for messing up things and as another poster said, they are loads of things wrong with the game that should be fixed first. That in itself would be a great improvement.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Yes
    I'm sure the 64 bit update will come to windows eventually
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,425 Member
    Yes
    Watching the video that @enterprise1927 put up the link to...hell that thing runs as smooth as butter.

Even more now that I've seen the video, I want Sims 3 in 64bit on PC. It's needed. 32bit is a buggy mess.

But of course, that's going to majorly take away sales from TS4 and that's probably why they're NOT going to do it...for as long as they can put it off.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    Watching the video that @enterprise1927 put up the link to...hell that thing runs as smooth as butter.

Even more now that I've seen the video, I want Sims 3 in 64bit on PC. It's needed. 32bit is a buggy mess.

But of course, that's going to majorly take away sales from TS4 and that's probably why they're NOT going to do it...for as long as they can put it off.

Where is the video ? I wanna watch !
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,425 Member
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    Yes
    Just watching this. The game run very smooth.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZgiXXjkHr8

Please don't argue that this is just base game with single sim. I tried this before with single sim and only base game with 1.67 patch applied and no mods/CC. Game stutter very frequent on i9-9900K / GTX 1080 Ti unlike in the video.

This is happening in my game on windows 10 now. I'm playing in Bridgeport with All Eps and All Sps. puzzleaddict explained it's not from mac upgrade to catalina and could be more from graphics driver update. It's really weird that it takes only 20 secs to load whole Bridgeport, takes only 20-30 secs for saving game.. I feel very light with my mouse moving as well.

• logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    edited October 2020
    Justine Keaton
    Sure, but I'm not sure how much it will improve the game, it will maybe help with all those things that the game needs to load but it will not remove all things that the game needs to load, so they will still be there, the game will just get more resources to deal with it.

I would rather that they remaster the game like they did with Command % Conquer, but maybe that will not work will all the packs and items that people have bought.
  • jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    Thanks for sharing the video. I am curious if the performance will still be good with all EPs!
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member

From the number of players who started with Sims 4 and have been switching to Sims 3 and joining us here, I would guess they're already losing sales because of the disasters their recent packs have been. I have a friend who plays it because her computer doesn't handle Sims 3 well and she can't afford a new one, and she's been telling me all about it.
  • bekkasanbekkasan Posts: 10,171 Member
    No, not if it requires me to be tied to origin or the internet.
  • GonderGonder Posts: 2 New Member
    Yes
    Yes! I can't believe they have no plans for this, I can't express my disappointment. This game was really ambitious for its time and never truly fit within the 32-bit restrictions. Like, I get it, EA doesn't want to incentivize people to go back to TS3 over TS4 and don't think the resources are worth it, but this is just plain unfair. While Mac users get to enjoy their shiny new 64-bit version, Windows players have to continue fearing RAM issues like error 12, and the idea of travelling to all the destination worlds is a pipe dream considering how much it bloats your game and leads you closer to the inevitable RAM issues.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited November 2020
    Justine Keaton
    Some of us are reserving judgment.

We aren't all enjoying our shiny new 64-bit version on the macOS, this thing had a flawed launch that just shoulnd't have happened where it didn't work for anyone and once we got beyond that there are plenty of mysterious in-game issues showing up. For just one example, if the game files and worlds themselves haven't changed, then why is it that our sims cannot be ordered to interact with open water in any world, with any combination of EPs - no player directed swimming, fishing, or boating on the oceans except for water taxis, and just going into the water or swimming by the beach shouldn't require any expansions.

But more importantly than boring life on a beach where there isn't much chance of getting wet unless it rains, one thing we confirmed very quickly is that by lifting the 4 GB RAM restriction, what 64-bit does is allow the game to reach for as much RAM as it thinks it wants. So, as we are seeing, some process or other in the game starts looping or running wild that on 32-bit would probably have been reeled in or cause the game to crash pretty early on. But on 64-bit, with no gating on the call for resources, the next thing the player knows is that their operating system is getting requests for 62 GB of RAM where they only have something like 8 or 16 installed, the macOS at least says err no, you must be drunk, and eventually tells the user that they are out of memory.

This isn't what players need, they need a properly implemented 64-bit game if there is to be one that reacts to unexpected calls for system resources in a more reasonable manner. If EA can fix these issues, and to be optimistic for a moment it certainly seems like they should be able to, then we may have something here. If not, the game is going to be more of a mess than it already was. And there may actually not be a way to fix these things entirely unless the game engine is redone from the ground up to behave itself and intentionally take advantage of 64-bit better than it currently can. :/
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • KevinL5275KevinL5275 Posts: 2,489 Member
    Yes
    berginon wrote: »
    I am playing since 2012 and I have never ever, not even once, had TS3 use more than 3 GBs of RAM, or had error 12. For those that have these issues, sure update the game to be x64 compatible. But the game has much more important issues in my opinion that comes way before an x64 update.

You are one of the very few lucky ones then, because anyone like me who runs large worlds and lots of commercials lots and sims has run into the Error 12 problem. :(

I'm a 48 year old married man, with a beautiful wife, a cat, and a simverted personality.My Sims 3 Pictures
  • RsandaRsanda Posts: 257 Member
    edited November 2020
    KevinL5275 wrote: »
    You are one of the very few lucky ones then, because anyone like me who runs large worlds and lots of commercials lots and sims has run into the Error 12 problem. :(

I have never played with extremely large worlds made with CAW for a long time. I tried it of course but the thing is, large worlds means more sims which means more potential routing issues and more potential simulation lag before I even hit the RAM limit. Which is why I personally think routing issues should be number one priority. It lags the game so much you would think the game runs Crysis in the background or something. Like just the things I experienced from the top of my head:

In Bridgeport, it's suddenly the closing time of some random bar and 10 sims suddenly try rush to elevator at the same time: routing lag. After they successfully entered the elevator, everyone tries to exit the lot from that one door which only has space for one sim: routing lag.

Some random sim decides to walk in the air for some reason and the game tries to calculate a way out of this mess: routing lag. (I have had this happen with random townies on both Bridgeport and Sunlit Tides and I am pretty sure there could be others I haven't noticed before Overwatch reset them out of their misery.)

Again random sim decides swimming in the land is an excellent idea and the game again tries to get out of it but can't: routing lag.

Sims love to leave their boats around for reasons beyond me, and when they do, they close all the possible ways a sim can get out of the water while using a boat. The sim that tries to get out gets stuck in a loop left and right trying to get out but can never do so because of those boats until Overwatch decides to clean them at 3 A.M. : routing lag.

All of those above glitches can happen in a perfectly painted world with both Overwatch and ErrorTrap installed. Imagine playing this without NRaas mods and the pain it can cause to the game. Which is why I think that just increasing the amount of RAM the game can use won't magically fix the underlying problems. Routing system of this game is in need of a great overhaul before we can even start to look at other broken stuff. And I am not even talking about other non-routing related reasons that can also cause lag, memory leak issues players have been experiencing on x64 version of the game, and other game breaking stuff that does not cause lag at all (e.g: Travelling system) If a 64-bit version comes, it also needs to fix those issues I mentioned above and many more, otherwise I don't think it will be worth it. I mean it can improve the game in some situations, but you would eventually hit another "obstacle" which would prevent you from enjoying the game properly, in my opinion.
    Not a native English speaker. Sorry for any mistakes
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Yes
    Absolutely yes. I'm obsessed with this game still and anything that will help it run more smooth is a good thing.
  • adamzaidadamzaid Posts: 1,999 Member
    Yes
    defintely. although i got used to all my mods fixing this 🐸🐸🐸🐸 game (thanks nrass mods ur a godsend) a 64bit version of this would be a dream come true
  • JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    Yes
    Have a question here. If the game supports 64 bits, will the screen tearing be fixed while moving camera? I tried the 64 bit metal version today. It doesn’t seem to be improved. The camera works better on windows, bootcamp. I tried again after disabling origin in game but still laggy and I feel the game is heavy.