Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Anyone know anything about roommates?

Minx11Minx11 Posts: 1,386 Member
So, I have a 5 floor house for 8 Sims and 2 pets, and I felt like adding roommates, but I didn't know how, so I looked it up, and it said about having enough beds for all the Sims in the house plus extra, but I think that's not working (see attached photo), and the option on the phone to postand ad was greyed out. My game is very heavily modded, so it's probably an issue with that, but I just wanted to see if anyone had any input? Thanks in advance
zNyoePS.jpg
Post edited by Minx11 on

Comments

• BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    Actually you should be able to put out an add for roommates either through your Sim's phone or go to the household option on the computer and select roommates. Also if you are having an issue with the game it maybe due to a conflicting mod or an outdated one that needs to be updated but otherwise the roommate option should be found on the sim phone or household option on the pc.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Minx11Minx11 Posts: 1,386 Member
    BMSO wrote: »
    Actually you should be able to put out an add for roommates either through your Sim's phone or go to the household option on the computer and select roommates. Also if you are having an issue with the game it maybe due to a conflicting mod or an outdated one that needs to be updated but otherwise the roommate option should be found on the sim phone or household option on the pc.
    I added the beds and the option on the phone was greyed out, I should have mentioned that, I apologise :) The only mod that I can think of that might be causing it is MC Command Centre. I recently purged through my mod folder to find the cause of an ongoing last exception error, so old mods and useless mods were taken out and my main ones updated. I tried reducing my househols member limit and it still stayed greyed out :/

• ModifienModifien Posts: 363 Member
    They need to be able to get to the beds. There needs to be a full block on at least one side (not including a nightstand). Your roommates will also move out if they don't have the things they need to 'enjoy' their life with you. That means they count the number of sims per toilet/shower, etc. There will come a pop up warning you that they are unhappy with the living arrangement to give you a chance to fix it. Unfortunately, they won't tell you what's wrong, so you'll have to guess from what you know of them/the situation.
    Modifien wrote: »
    They need to be able to get to the beds. There needs to be a full block on at least one side (not including a nightstand). Your roommates will also move out if they don't have the things they need to 'enjoy' their life with you. That means they count the number of sims per toilet/shower, etc. There will come a pop up warning you that they are unhappy with the living arrangement to give you a chance to fix it. Unfortunately, they won't tell you what's wrong, so you'll have to guess from what you know of them/the situation.
    I originally had the 4 beds in the rooms and it didn't like that, so I added the extra beds.
    I've just gone in and taken out a few of the beds, but that still leaves 11 extra beds (you can easily get to them all). I even added an extra bathroom, and added a shower to the small downstairs bathroom, which is still 4 bathrooms.
    edited October 2020
    Minx11 wrote: »
    I originally had the 4 beds in the rooms and it didn't like that, so I added the extra beds.
    I've just gone in and taken out a few of the beds, but that still leaves 11 extra beds (you can easily get to them all). I even added an extra bathroom, and added a shower to the small downstairs bathroom, which is still 4 bathrooms.

I just grabbed some screenshots too:
    JsSCC98.png
    The current lower basement arrangement

fSJhrmV.png
    This is a spare room I already had, nobody was here anyway

7b1lxDc.png
    The downstairs bathroom. I just added the shower, but the toilet and sink were already there

RFLbJT3.png
    The two upstairs bathrooms

d1KbxJL.png
    I added this bathroom on the top floor. There is an occupied bedroom up here, but I have space to make another. Since taking this screenshot, I have also added another laundry hamper to the bathroom.

*EDIT*

oehV4kM.png
    I also have this room here, it's not being used either, but it's still an extra bed.
    Post edited by Minx11 on
  • Evee95Evee95 Posts: 66 Member
    Maybe its because they're in the basement try putting a bed on normal floor I bet its a bug!!
    Evee95 wrote: »
    Maybe its because they're in the basement try putting a bed on normal floor I bet its a bug!!

I ran another experiment :D I filled my house with beds. On the above floors, wherever I found a space, I threw a bed down. I now have a total of 46 beds in my house on all floors.

I know believe I am destined to never have roommates.
  • AprilDawnAprilDawn Posts: 795 Member
    It is probably because you have 10 sims living in the house already.
    AprilDawn wrote: »
    It is probably because you have 10 sims living in the house already.

Yeah, after I ran my two experiments, I did think the game just was not going to allow it. If anything. It's revenge for all the trauma the game's been put through :D
  • K_PlaysK_Plays Posts: 102 Member
    Have you changed the Lot Traits in build mode to reflect the number of beds? I think that may be more important that actually having beds when it comes to getting roommates.
    Have you changed the Lot Traits in build mode to reflect the number of beds? I think that may be more important that actually having beds when it comes to getting roommates.

Ah, I forgot about that :D I will try that next time I'm on
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    If it helps I use this mod for roommates, it basically just means you can ask anyone to be your roommate and they won't reject which makes it a lot easier to get who you want as a roommate:
    https://www.kawaiistaciemods.com/post/ask-to-be-roommates-less-restrictions

Also another tip I've found from playing with roommates is that if they complain, just right click on them and cheat needs and you'll get a message saying they're happier now and won't move out

I think with your bug it's most likely due to the amount of people in the household, try playing with a smaller household and then seeing if it lets you add roommates and if it does that's the issue :)
    Onverser wrote: »
    If it helps I use this mod for roommates, it basically just means you can ask anyone to be your roommate and they won't reject which makes it a lot easier to get who you want as a roommate:
    https://www.kawaiistaciemods.com/post/ask-to-be-roommates-less-restrictions

Also another tip I've found from playing with roommates is that if they complain, just right click on them and cheat needs and you'll get a message saying they're happier now and won't move out

I think with your bug it's most likely due to the amount of people in the household, try playing with a smaller household and then seeing if it lets you add roommates and if it does that's the issue :)

I didn't really want them for any reason other than something new to try out, but if I feel like trying it on one of my other saves, I'll defo keep those in mind :smile:

Just for a quick update, I decided to use the bedrooms I made in lower basement for the group of triplets I have who just aged up to children. Keeps them out the way :smiley:
    Out of curiosity - would you try adding some nightstands/dressers? If you're still interested in the experiment. xD
  • PinkPaws66PinkPaws66 Posts: 755 Member
    I think you can only have 8 sims/pets on a lot. Maybe that's what's going on?
  • PeralPeral Posts: 873 Member
    It can be a simple bug that makes the bedroom not function
    PinkPaws66 wrote: »
    I think you can only have 8 sims/pets on a lot. Maybe that's what's going on?

They have a mod that removes the limit. However, it might be interfering with the roommate check, which sees that there are 8 sims and says no, despite the fact that they already have more than 8 in the household and can have more if they want.

Out of curiosity - would you try adding some nightstands/dressers? If you're still interested in the experiment. xD

If I decide to try it on a smaller save, I'll keep it in mind :) As mentioned, I threw the children down there. It's a lot more peaceful upstairs :D
  • ShachaaiShachaai Posts: 55 Member
    Maybe try testing in a smaller household to see if it is the '8 PCs only' check is what's causing the issue, but other than that, my top advice for roommates is this: don't ask the Flower Bunny to be your roommate. For someone with less needs than your average sim, Bro is SUPER passive-aggressive. (Though he did decorate his room with a cute little robot toy, which made me go aww.)
  • BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    Minx11 wrote: »
    BMSO wrote: »
    I added the beds and the option on the phone was greyed out, I should have mentioned that, I apologise :) The only mod that I can think of that might be causing it is MC Command Centre. I recently purged through my mod folder to find the cause of an ongoing last exception error, so old mods and useless mods were taken out and my main ones updated. I tried reducing my househols member limit and it still stayed greyed out :/

I don't think MCC would effect that unless it hasn't been updated.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    You have to many Sims. You said you have 8 Sims and 2 pets. You can only have 10 occupants total. I actually don't know how you did that. It's 8 occupants (pets included) plus 2 roommates. Any combination of Sims/pets/roommates that equals10 or less.
    AnnLee87 wrote: »
    You have to many Sims. You said you have 8 Sims and 2 pets. You can only have 10 occupants total. I actually don't know how you did that. It's 8 occupants (pets included) plus 2 roommates. Any combination of Sims/pets/roommates that equals10 or less.

The issue has been sorted out, but thank you for your input.