Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

New Variant Form Of Sofi

I was thinking of creating a new female sim, and naming her Sofi. But I don't want to spell her name with the usual variant forms. So I came with Sohfi of Sofhi. But I can't decided which variant is more appealing the H before the F or the F before the H.

Comments

• KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    Sophi looks nicer, I think.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,371 Member
    I really like Sophie.
  • OmairaOmaira Posts: 666 Member
    I like Sofhi, Great idea by the way, have you chosen a surname for her? I find surnames a bit of a challenge for me, I don't know why.
    Omaira wrote: »
    I like Sofhi, Great idea by the way, have you chosen a surname for her? I find surnames a bit of a challenge for me, I don't know why.

Berry something always works for me. :)
  • sunman502sunman502 Posts: 18,325 Member
    edited October 2020
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I really like Sophie.
    Sophie is a pretty variant, but it's a commonly used variant. And I'm trying to stay away from the commonly used variants of the name. Which is why I came up with the H before the F or the F before the H.
    I have seen an interesting and pretty female form of Berry. I don't know who had come up with this form of Berry, but they had spelled it Beri for a female.
    sunman502 wrote: »
    I really like Sophie.
    Sophie is a pretty variant, but it's a commonly used variant. And I'm trying to stay away from the commonly used variants of the name. Which is why I came up with the H before the F or the F before the H.

Sophie is not a variant but the proper spelling. You can't change letters in a word or name and then pretend you can pronounce them the same. I've heard of Fifi as a short name for Sophie.
  • ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    The only Sophie I know is spelled this way. So Sofi would be a new variant for me.
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    I really like Sophie.

Sophie is not a variant but the proper spelling. You can't change letters in a word or name and then pretend you can pronounce them the same. I've heard of Fifi as a short name for Sophie.

It's Greek. Sophie is a variant. The original form, which literally means "wisdom", is Sophia, with an A (in Greek, an Alpha).

I have never seen the spelling "Sofi". Surely that is unusual enough?
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    I like the unusual spellings you’ve come up with. My favorite is Sofhi. My least favorite is Sofi, because I keep thinking of sofa, lol.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
    @crocobaura Berry with something else added on? like Berrymore or Berrydale? Great idea, I'll try something like that next time.
    I just made a new sim and after spending quite some time creating, choosing traits and clothes I could just not come up with a surname, I ended up with Frost because my brain was frozen ;)
    Now I am having fun with the Berry.. Berryfruity Berrymerry...Berryold
  • chons95chons95 Posts: 51 Member
    edited October 2020
    Lol, Sofi is normal. In Spanish, Sofi is to Sofía what Sophie is to Sophia although I think in English people tend to use Sophie as the original name and not so much of a nickname.

Based on the name Sofia, I've heard and seen Sof/Soff and So also been used, people have also changed the S to a Ch which changes the pronunciation like: Chofi, Chofa, Chof, Cho.

Source: my name is Sofia and have shared instances where the majority of women in a group are called the same and we have to somehow identify each
    Sindocat wrote: »
    I really like Sophie.

It's Greek. Sophie is a variant. The original form, which literally means "wisdom", is Sophia, with an A (in Greek, an Alpha).

I have never seen the spelling "Sofi". Surely that is unusual enough?

Sophie is the French spelling. In my country we spell it as Sofia. Wikipedia has more spelling variants if OP is still looking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophia_(given_name)

Now I am having fun with the Berry.. Berryfruity Berrymerry...Berryold

Glad you like it. Something blossom also works well. :)
    I really like Sophie.

Proper spelling of names differ by countries. In France, as you said, the proper spelling of Sofi is Sophie. Where as in countries like Austria, the proper spelling of Sofi is spelled Sofi. These are all common variants of Sophie or Sofi. If you need further proof on variants of Sofi. Look up baby names, and look up Sofi. And you'll see what I mean.
  • ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    Sofy. Zofy. Zofie.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited October 2020
    Sofeigh!
    I really like Sophie.

Proper spelling of names differ by countries. In France, as you said, the proper spelling of Sofi is Sophie. Where as in countries like Austria, the proper spelling of Sofi is spelled Sofi. These are all common variants of Sophie or Sofi. If you need further proof on variants of Sofi. Look up baby names, and look up Sofi. And you'll see what I mean.

Yes, but the OP thought it funny to switch p with h in the spelling because it's less common. :lol: Sofi must not be a very popular female name in Austria or anywhere else as google images returns only about 5 pictures of females named Sofi.
  • SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,934 Member
    edited October 2020
    Sofianera
    Sophiana
    Sufiyana (okay thats probably whole another name already but it sounds kinda similar)
    Sofine (if she fine af)

just add letters until it sounds like a name :joy:
    then again maybe thats why all my sims have ridiculously long names o_o
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
    edited October 2020
    I really like Sophie.

Yes, but the OP thought it funny to switch p with h in the spelling because it's less common. :lol: Sofi must not be a very popular female name in Austria or anywhere else as google images returns only about 5 pictures of females named Sofi.
    I know Sofi or Sophie, how ever one wants to spell the name, it's not one of the top popular names for females these days. Here in the States, and I think in the UK too, Emma was the number one name for girls last year and the year before too. I haven't check to see what was the top name for girls in 2020. So I don't know what it is now.
    I haven't chosen her surname yet. And yes you are correct, surnames are a bit more challenging. Here's a little exercise that I like to do sometime when I'm having problems with picking out surnames for characters. This helps me out from time to time when I get stuck like that. I say the first name first, and then start raddling off surnames. And I keep repeating this over an over again with different surnames until I find one that rhymes or flows beautifully with the first name.