The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

If we do have a Sims 5, should they add a height adjuster in the base game (or in a pack)?

LeanneStrong57LeanneStrong57 Posts: 66 Member
I mean, we already have special adjusters for skin tone and color, muscle mass and tone, facial features, weight, and other physical features. The only thing we do not have is a height adjuster. I might want to make some of my sims short and petite, while I might want to make other sims tall and heavily set.
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,435 Member
    I would love a height slider! But, the issue would be with animations (kissing, hugging, etc). Animations are created using a specific sized sim when they are animating it. If there were height sliders and your sim's head was only to the shoulders of another sim and they would try to embrace or kiss it would be totally off.

The sims uses pre-defined animations, they do not use procedural animations unfortunately. All sims in their age category are the same height, so like when sitting, there are butt and foot targets on each sitting surface for each lifestage ..... toddlers, kids, and adults.
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited November 2020
    I would love a height slider! But, the issue would be with animations (kissing, hugging, etc). Animations are created using a specific sized sim when they are animating it. If there were height sliders and your sim's head was only to the shoulders of another sim and they would try to embrace or kiss it would be totally off.

The sims uses pre-defined animations, they do not use procedural animations unfortunately. All sims in their age category are the same height, so like when sitting, there are butt and foot targets on each sitting surface for each lifestage ..... toddlers, kids, and adults.

well that's on sims 4, but sims 5 could very well be coded differently, they could rig the animations in another way to match any height or add height presets. a lot of people has been looking for a height slider in previous sims games, it would be great if devs consider adding it to ts5

edit: if it's added i think it should come into the base game, be available for all the players.
    if there's something sims 5 needs to change is separating features into many packs like in ts4.
    yes, it's profitable for ea but it's annoying for pretty much everyone else.
    Post edited by bella_goth on
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,353 Member
    The other thing that could be needed is procedural rigging, depending on how they structure the clothing and how they handle scaling propegation. The technology has been out in the CG art world for a while now, but I don't know if it's "worth" the trouble to include it in a game.
  • KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,066 Member
    If they try to make us pay for height sliders, I’m rooting.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    If the tech is possible, then it should be in the base game. Something like that should never be in a pack. I doubt it could work in a pack anyways, then you'd have 2 different sets of coding for literally everything ever again since not everyone would buy the pack.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I want height sliders. Not many of my Sims go around hugging and kissing. Not unless it's part of a story in my head. I use the cheat in TS2 all the time to make some males a lot taller than the females. It does just fine if you don't go overboard. It looks just fine if you don't go over board. The hair for females always makes male Sims look shorter than females. I have noticed even in TS2 that males seem to be looking up at some females just slightly, but it may be the way the animations make Sims stand or hunch or bend when they tell a joke or talk to each other while standing etc. Females sitting beside a male on the couch in all these games seem to me to look taller. I think someone made a graph one time of TS2 and TS3 and females were very slightly taller than males. There are many things they could do to give the illusion some Sims are taller than others.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    I think height presets would be the way to go. Making different animations for interactions between Sims of different heights could be time-consuming, but it would look better than, for example, having Sim A’s lips clip through Sim B’s nose when they try to kiss. (They’ll have to make sure that all height options are compatible with all kinds of furniture too. I have screenshots of some of my shorter Sims sitting in the couch. XD)
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,716 Member
    I think the sims5 should have height slider support, they make sims so much more unique.

It will require a bit more work when it comes to animations but a lot of animations should still work fine, I use a rather simple height slider mod which scales sims down in the sims4 and it works pretty well, I have very few clipping issues.

• Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    I absolutely want a height slider. If the animations are too bad for it to work, at the very least make it a selectable preset (like short, medium, tall), anything to adjust height at all would be welcomed. Some animations are easily adjustable, such as sitting, while others can be a bit more annoying such as hugging or punching someone; typically any animations that involve another Sim is going to be very tricky to animate because it's also wholly dependent on their size as well.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • pinneduphairpinneduphair Posts: 918 Member
    edited October 2020
    I'd certainly find it cool if TS5 has a height slider, but I also can't say I'd be overly disappointed if it wasn't included. Not that I have anything against the idea of a height slider, it's just not going to be a make-or-break thing for me, personally. I definitely don't think height sliders should ever be part of a pack. It would need to be a base game feature.
  • alyssasim87alyssasim87 Posts: 1,277 Member
    i think it would be cool, but it would be so much time consuming. so i could live without height sliders so they could focus on making deeper personality for sims instead of a 1000 different kissing and hugging animations. but if both could be done i wouldnt be oposed. but im ok if they dont add it and add something else more important to me in the game.
    my origin id is simkitten87

Im a simmer forever <3
  • Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    Holly yes! That would be an improvement. The Sims 5 should improve the sims experience, unlike a certain game...
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2020
    In the back of my mind I think about how they tried to improve CAS creation for TS4. We all know that must have taken a lot of time, I lot of tweaking, a lot more money for CAS to be able to push and pull body parts. Even calves and ankles etc. Ok, with that in mind let's think about an overly thin Sim built in TS4 CAS and a extremely large/heavy Sim. Animations don't seem to be any different for them as for any other Sim or look any weirder do they? Is it any different to hug a thin Sim over a large Sim? (Do the arms of the Sim hugging go around both the same?)

Let's say you have a tight fit between a couch and a chair or even a counter, why does it never bother anyone that any Sim may clip through those to get between them and cross a room etc.
    But if we were going to stick with exact animations (and no cliping) then a thin Sim could slide sideways through a tough spot and or a large/heavy Sim would get stuck....or couldn't get through easily. So, I don't understand Maxis excuses when it comes to height because they don't seem to think about the stuff I do. And we know it would be expensive but so was a new, improved CAS.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ClousinatorsClousinators Posts: 586 Member
    I would love a height adjuster! Didn't one of the older Sims games have one? I could be wrong. But I feel like that would add so much more depth to CAS and of course its more realistic.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    A height slider sounds nice on paper, but I just think it's probably more hassle than it's worth. Every single animation would have to work with different height levels, objects would have to be made around it, etc etc. There'd be so many bugs with it aswell. It'd just be a lot of work all round and it'd probably mean packs have even less content as animations would take twice as long so it's a no for me.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,121 Member
    When Sims 5 is made, it will probable be only an Online VR game.
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    A height slider sounds nice on paper, but I just think it's probably more hassle than it's worth. Every single animation would have to work with different height levels, objects would have to be made around it, etc etc. There'd be so many bugs with it aswell. It'd just be a lot of work all round and it'd probably mean packs have even less content as animations would take twice as long so it's a no for me.

Thats the way I see it too.
    Too few people understand the extra work the variations are likely to add to the production of the game.

For those who don't get it, here's a simplification of what we're talking about.
    With adults (teens and elders) having just one height, the interaction for something as simple as a hug will have, just for the adults:

Adult - Adult
    Adult - Child
    Adult - Toddler

With short, medium and tall height variations just for adults that becomes:

S Adult - S Adult
    S Adult - M Adult
    S Adult - T Adult
    S Adult - Child
    S Adult - Toddler

M Adult - S Adult
    M Adult - M Adult
    M Adult - T Adult
    M Adult - Child
    M Adult - Toddler

T Adult - S Adult
    T Adult - M Adult
    T Adult - T Adult
    T Adult - Child
    T Adult - Toddler

It's pretty clear why TS4 has the teens the same height as the adults and elders.
    Some people might think it's because the developers are lazy, but others can see it's because repeats of the animations for different heights would come at the cost of other content.
    AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    Movotti wrote: »
    Onverser wrote: »

Thats the way I see it too.
    Too few people understand the extra work the variations are likely to add to the production of the game.

For those who don't get it, here's a simplification of what we're talking about.
    With adults (teens and elders) having just one height, the interaction for something as simple as a hug will have, just for the adults:

Adult - Adult
    Adult - Child
    Adult - Toddler

With short, medium and tall height variations just for adults that becomes:

S Adult - S Adult
    S Adult - M Adult
    S Adult - T Adult
    S Adult - Child
    S Adult - Toddler

M Adult - S Adult
    M Adult - M Adult
    M Adult - T Adult
    M Adult - Child
    M Adult - Toddler

T Adult - S Adult
    T Adult - M Adult
    T Adult - T Adult
    T Adult - Child
    T Adult - Toddler

It's pretty clear why TS4 has the teens the same height as the adults and elders.
    Some people might think it's because the developers are lazy, but others can see it's because repeats of the animations for different heights would come at the cost of other content.

This. I definitely want height differences but the adjustments the devs would have to make with the interactive animations is too much. Instead of sliders, I propose three height presets from teen to elder. It's still more work than they do now with heights, but having 3 set heights limited to the older life stages would be more beneficial to the devs than sliders.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,425 Member
    Solution to the problem. Unity 5 engine has character scaling...supposedly where you can tailor the bone-structure of the sims to the animation allowing the animation to be used on characters of different heights.

Sims 5 needs to push the envelope...and not stick to the "lowest common denominator" for programming. It's time to see just how good Sims 5 can get in terms of gameplay as well as graphics.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • valkyrieplaysvalkyrieplays Posts: 22 Member
    i would definitely like more height variety. i could imagine them maybe having some preset heights (rather than on a slider), so it's easier to figure out animations?
    my simblr
    cc finds
    tumblr challenge directory - can submit challenges, posts of your challenge progress, and promo yourself as long as you participate in challenges!
  • StrawberryYogurtStrawberryYogurt Posts: 2,799 Member
    Its not necessary for me and seems like itd be buggy.
    The Sims has currently lost its identity. Bring it back for TS5

FixedCoarseFawn-max-1mb.gif

Personality,depth,humor,consequences,lore,customization.
  • KatAnubisKatAnubis Posts: 3,241 Member

I agree that it would be problematic, especially for "clothing" the Sims. People don't realize that so many of the things like "height sliders" have far more implication for how their computers run than something like sliders for colors. And even those can really add to the computer's work load, which is part of why they left out the Create a Style that many of us adored from TS3.

As it is, there are a number of people I've seen posting in the help section complaining about the lag in *this* game since they added platforms. For some it has become unplayable. And to anyone who would say "we shouldn't be held up by those who have older machines", EA *can't* think like that or they can't expand the business to give us more of the other things that we all want.
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    I'd rather see development time be spent on Sims' personalities and interactions than a height slider.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,425 Member
    KatAnubis wrote: »
    And to anyone who would say "we shouldn't be held up by those who have older machines", EA *can't* think like that or they can't expand the business to give us more of the other things that we all want.

We're not getting any of the stuff that we want now... case in point, Journey to Achoo. ~gesundheit~ What makes it any different now instead of "pushing the envelope" in development.

I don't agree with dumbing down games to cater to market share. Pushing the envelope in game development is what gets people to jump on the gaming bandwagon.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • teamjenteamjen Posts: 50 Member

I think I literally agree with most of your opinions on this game 😆

Definitely don’t think height sliders are necessary... at all but if we do get them someday cool.
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top