Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

An announcement for The Sims 3 players on Mac

EA_DavidEA_David Posts: 282 EA Community Manager
edited October 2019 in The Sims 3 Mac Discussion
Dear Simmers,

If you currently play The Sims™ 3 on Mac, pay close attention to this announcement!

Earlier this year, Apple announced plans to phase out support for 32-bit applications with their new macOS, Catalina. Due to this change, we will be releasing an updated version of The Sims 3 that will be compatible with the new macOS, The Sims 3 (64-Bit & Metal). We will also be making all DLC content available in this new format, as well.

The Sims 3 (64-Bit & Metal) will be available for download via Origin. We don’t have a release date for when Apple will release Catalina. However, if it occurs before The Sims 3 (64-Bit & Metal) is out and you decide to update your Mac to macOS Catalina, you will not be able to continue playing The Sims 3 until after we release The Sims 3 (64-Bit & Metal). Once The Sims 3 (64-Bit & Metal) is released, you will have to uninstall your current version of The Sims 3 and packs before re-installing, and you will not be able to patch your existing installation. We will post more detailed instructions when we make this update available. You will not lose your progress in the game and you will keep all the extra content you have acquired over time.

The Sims 3 (64-Bit & Metal) FAQ

Where can I get The Sims 3 (64-Bit & Metal) Edition?
If you are an existing The Sims 3 owner, we will have instructions on this page which will walk you through the steps to get your copy of The Sims 3 (64-Bit & Metal) Edition when it is released.

When will 64-Bit & Metal Edition be available?
This change is planned for early 2020. We will update you once we have a confirmed date.

Will I be able to get the 64-Bit & Metal Edition through a patch to my current game?
No. The Sims 3 (64-Bit & Metal) Edition will be its own version of The Sims 3 and carries significant changes from the currently available version. This means that the game will not be patched and will require the The Sims 3 (64-Bit & Metal) Edition and the packs to be installed like a new release through Origin.

Will the minimum specifications be the same as The Sims 3?
No. The Sims 3 (64-Bit & Metal) Edition will require the latest version of Origin which requires OSX 10.9 or later. Also, since the The Sims 3 (64-Bit & Metal) Edition adds 64-bit and Metal support, the minimum specifications will be adjusted accordingly.

What if I can’t update my Mac?
The Sims 3 and all the packs will be available in their current form for those players who choose not to or cannot update their Mac to Catalina.

Will I need to buy The Sims 3 or my packs again?

No. All The Sims 3 players who have registered their game and packs with Origin will have access to The Sims 3 (64-Bit & Metal) Edition when it releases. If you have the disc version of The Sims 3, you will need to redeem your code in Origin to access The Sims 3 (64-Bit & Metal) Edition in Origin.

Will The Sims 3 (64-Bit & Metal) Edition release for Windows PC?
There are no current plans to update the Windows PC version of The Sims 3. Version 1.6.9 is available to The Sims 3 players via Origin.

What do I need to do to make sure my game is saved before I update to macOS Catalina?
While updating macOS to a newer version should be straight forward, we recommend you backup your saves before updating to macOS Catalina. You can find The Sims 3 save files in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3. Simply copy the entire The Sims 3 directory somewhere safe like your cloud storage of choice (eg. iCloud, Google Drive, OneDrive, Dropbox, etc.) or a USB flash drive. This will backup your downloaded content and your save files among other things.

Comments

• EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    edited October 2020
    Sul sul Simmers!

As you will have heard by now, we will get the 64-bit & Metal version of The Sims 3 very soon - on Wednesday, October 28th, 2020, to be precise.

Those are great news - but you might also have some questions. That is why we have put together some FAQs that will hopefully help you.
    Should you still have questions, you can drop them in @puzzlezaddict's thread here. :)

And now, with no further ado, let's get to it!

The Sims 3 (64-Bit & Metal) FAQ

I already own The Sims 3 on Mac, how do I get the new 64-bit version?
    The Sims 3 for macOS, 64-bit will automatically be applied to your EA Account and available to install from My Library at no additional cost.

I plan to purchase The Sims 3, which versions will I get?
    Purchasing The Sims 3 through Origin will provide you access to previously existing versions on Windows PC and Mac as well as the new version for macOS.

I own The Sims 3 on disc, how do I get the new version?
    To get the new version of The Sims 3 for macOS, 64-bit, you will need to register your game with EA and download the 64-bit version of The Sims 3 from Origin. You can register your game and packs at www.thesims3.com by logging in with the same account you use with Origin (EA Help). For any registration or account related issues, please contact EA Support by visiting https://help.ea.com/contact-us

I already registered The Sims 3 on the website but I don’t see it in Origin, what do I do?
    If you have already registered The Sims 3 and any packs on www.thesims3.com but do not see it in My Library in Origin, ensure you log in to Origin using the same email and password you use on www.thesims3.com. The same applies for using The Sims 3 website, login using the same details you use in Origin to see all of your owned content. Do not try to re-register your code in Origin or on the website as it will inform you that the code has already been redeemed since it is already applied to your EA Account. For any registration or account related issues, please contact EA Support by visiting https://help.ea.com/contact-us

Is this a Remaster or Remake of The Sims 3?
    This new version is a compatibility release which adds support for 64-bit, Apple’s Metal graphics API, and makes the application a fully native macOS app. It is not a Remaster or Remake of The Sims 3.

Is changing from 32-bit to 64-bit the only thing that has changed?
    No. This update of The Sims 3 also switches from OpenGL to Apple’s Metal graphics API, changes significantly how data is managed with the game service, where files are stored within the macOS file system, and has been updated to be a native macOS application.

Will the new version of The Sims 3 on Mac be delivered as an update?
    No, due to the changes, The Sims 3 for macOS, 64-bit is seen as a different game by Origin. That means you will need to install rather than update.

I have Save Game files, can I continue my progress in the new version?
    Your Save Game files are compatible with the new version of The Sims 3 and you will be able to continue where you left off. Before uninstalling any version of The Sims 3, we always recommend backing up your Save Game files.

Can I go back to the old version of The Sims 3?
    Yes, if your macOS supports 32-bit applications (support for 32-bit was dropped by macOS in the Catalina release in 2019, but earlier versions of macOS that still support 32-bit applications might still run on your Macintosh), you can install either release of The Sims 3 from My Game Library in Origin. However, if you have macOS Catalina (10.15.x, released in 2019) or later, which only supports 64-bit applications, you will only be able to use the new release of the game.

Can I install the older macOS version and the new macOS version together?
    No, you will only be able to have one version of The Sims 3 installed at a time.

I own both a new and an old Mac, can I still play on both?
    Yes, in My Library you will see both the older and newer versions of The Sims 3. Simply install the version of the game which suits the Mac you are using.

I have The Sims 3 DLC and/or content from The Sims 3 Store. Do I need to re-purchase them if I use the new version?
    No, all of your existing packs, Worlds and purchases from The Sims 3 Store stay with you. To install your Packs, you will need to download them once you have installed the new version of The Sims 3. You can do this by selecting The Sims 3 (64-bit & Metal) from My Game Library in Origin and selecting each Pack type and clicking the Download button. For content purchased from The Sims 3 Store, login at TheSims3.com and go to Store > My Store Account > Purchase History and you will see your purchases ready for download.

I want to use the new version of The Sims 3 on my Mac. What specs do I need?
    You will need a Mac which has support for Apple’s Metal graphics API and be on macOS High Sierra (10.13.x, released in 2017) or later. For Minimum and Recommended specs, you can find them listed below and on The Sims 3 (64-bit & Metal) page on Origin.com.

MAC SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

MINIMUM SPECS:
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz Processor or better
    RAM: At least 4 GB RAM
    HARD DRIVE: At least 15 GB of free space with at least 1 GB additional space for custom content and saved games
    VIDEO: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680, AMD Radeon RX 560, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 or better
    INPUT: Keyboard and Mouse
    ONLINE REQUIREMENTS: Internet connection required for product activation.

RECOMMENDED SPECS:
    PROCESSOR: Intel Core i5 or better
    VIDEO CARD: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680, AMD Radeon RX 560, Intel Iris Plus Graphics 640 or better
    MEMORY: 8GB RAM
    HARD DRIVE: 18 GB of Hard Drive space

Apple has recently announced that the Mac platform is moving to ARM based CPUs. Is this release of The Sims 3 for macOS, 64-bit optimized for this new architecture?
    This release of The Sims 3 for macOS, 64-bit is optimized for macOS running on Intel x86 CPUs. It is not optimized for the Apple ARM CPU architecture.

I don’t want to see two versions of The Sims 3 in My Game Library, what can I do?
    If you want to keep your My Game Library tidy, you can hide the version of The Sims 3 which you do not use by highlighting The Sims 3 and right click and select Hide. You can view your hidden games at any time and unhide them where necessary by using the Hidden Games filter in My Game Library.

When will The Sims 3 for Windows be updated to 64-bit?
    The Sims 3 for Windows PC works on both 32-bit and 64-bit versions of Windows. We do recommend players on The Sims 3 version 1.67 or earlier update to version 1.69, which is available to download through Origin if you have registered your game and packs against your EA Account.
    Post edited by EA_Leeloo on
  • SimGuruFrostSimGuruFrost Posts: 55 SimGuru (retired)
    edited October 2020
    Oct 28/2020 Update: Today we released an update for The Sims 3 with 64-bit and metal support for macOS. It got off to a rocky start! We are currently working hard to resolve the issues. You can stay informed by watching the following thread (the most current status will always be the pinned message): https://answers.ea.com/t5/Technical-Issues-Mac/the-sims-3-64-bit-amp-metal-release/td-p/8631090
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top