Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why Doesn't Maxis Care About the Baby Sims?

Comments

• Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    From Carl's Guide:

Caring for the Baby
    Baby's Needs
    The baby cannot be the active Sim and the player cannot see his/her needs. You have to judge the situation from visual and audio clues. but they have a hidden hunger, fun and hygiene need that must be met. The baby will sleep automatically when well cared for. You can develop the relationship by using the limited socials that are available, while also satisfying the baby's needs for entertainment and socialization. A green cloud means a dirty diaper and crying means the baby needs to be fed and/or you should played with the baby. My Sims were fairly attentive to the baby without being told, but this might not always be the case. All interactions are found by clicking on the bassinet and the baby never leaves that immediate area.

When feeding, the mother has the option to bottle feed or breast feed. Everyone else can only bottle feed. Males pregnant with an alien baby can breast feed, however. The other interactions besides changing the dirty diaper are: Bounce, Coo At, Make Silly Face, Rock, Talk, Shoosh, Show Off To, and Age Up. Children will be able to Coo At and Talk to the baby. To use the Show Off To interaction, make sure the bassinet is not up against a wall. The person looking at the baby will stand at the head of the bassinet.

• Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    From Carl's Guide:

Caring for the Baby
    Baby's Needs
    The baby cannot be the active Sim and the player cannot see his/her needs. You have to judge the situation from visual and audio clues. but they have a hidden hunger, fun and hygiene need that must be met. The baby will sleep automatically when well cared for. You can develop the relationship by using the limited socials that are available, while also satisfying the baby's needs for entertainment and socialization. A green cloud means a dirty diaper and crying means the baby needs to be fed and/or you should played with the baby. My Sims were fairly attentive to the baby without being told, but this might not always be the case. All interactions are found by clicking on the bassinet and the baby never leaves that immediate area.

When feeding, the mother has the option to bottle feed or breast feed. Everyone else can only bottle feed. Males pregnant with an alien baby can breast feed, however. The other interactions besides changing the dirty diaper are: Bounce, Coo At, Make Silly Face, Rock, Talk, Shoosh, Show Off To, and Age Up. Children will be able to Coo At and Talk to the baby. To use the Show Off To interaction, make sure the bassinet is not up against a wall. The person looking at the baby will stand at the head of the bassinet.

Thanks, no more than usual it seems than in TS1.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    I have never found babies interesting, in any Sims game. The fact that I don't have to go hunting for them in 4 is a bonus to me.
  • Options
    simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,866 Member
    edited October 2020
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Thanks, no more than usual it seems than in TS1.

It's a bit different in Sims 4.

TS Babies
    A baby arrives immediately in a shower of flowers, at which point all other Sims gather to applaud the newborn. The shower of flowers will resolve into a green crib with white bedding. The baby will arrive near the Sims. It is suggested that the interaction that leads to the "Should we have a baby?" question be performed away from the lot's borders, as it is possible for the crib to appear on the sidewalk or in the street, in which case the player will be unable to move it in buy or build mode unless the move_objects cheat is used.

Babies awaken approximately once every 6 hours and require feeding (although strangely enough they never require diaper changes) and to be sung to sleep. They have no other needs. Playing with the baby is an option, but is not required.

The baby is visible while a Sim is interacting with it, but it will be placed back into the crib once the interaction is finished. While in its crib, the baby is merely a lump covered in its bedding. Once the baby has gone back to sleep, Sims will be unable to interact with it until the next time it awakens for feeding, though Bonehilda, if available, will be able to feed the baby. As long as the baby is in the crib, the crib can be moved in buy mode or build mode.

If the baby is not tended to after several hours of crying, a social worker will call to reprimand the household and warn them that, if the child is not taken care of, the social worker will come to take the baby away. If the baby is left unattended for a second time, the baby will be taken by the social worker.
  • Options
    Nekia33painterNekia33painter Posts: 336 Member
    Worst case scenario, if they were to free babies I can see them getting stuck behind walls or on their parents until they are taken away. My best case scenario is that they don't crawl around, instead we get different cribs, more onesies to change the babies and a pouch to put baby in to take them out and about. Kinda wish the babies had hair.
  • Options
    I have never found babies interesting, in any Sims game. The fact that I don't have to go hunting for them in 4 is a bonus to me.

When they said they were going back to their roots, I never expected they would go all the way back to a crib baby like in TS1. lol Especially since TS3 had even more interactions and objects for the babies. I thought since we had come that far they would have been even better with each iteration as an advancement. It's like going back to TS1 and kids not aging after seeing how advanced the game became over the years. :(
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Personally I don't think it's so much as they don't care about them. I think it's more so they just haven't gotten to it yet 😉
    I truly believe they are in the works and will be amazing like toddlers in this series.

@Babykittyjade A billion dollar franchise team needing 6 years to improve a life-state? I don't think they just haven't gotten to it yet.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    AmTk86AmTk86 Posts: 80 Member
    I feel like such an EASY solution to this is to give us more ”stations,” the baby is tied to. Instead of just a crib, we could have
    A changing station: not required to change the diaper (obviously, you can change one anywhere), but it makes the interaction more dynamic
    A play area: consisting of multiple baby items like a swing or a bouncer. Placing them there, they will perform simple animations of playing by themselves like with blocks or whatever, but a sim can go over and play with them there. These can be placed on community lots for your babies to have something to do there
    Strollers/Carrier: needed in inventory if you want to take babies off the lot. Strollers have a special interaction similar to the go jogging interaction where you can take the baby around the block
    A high chair: you can feed babies soft food here. Not required to feed them, but it could add gameplay such as making your own baby food
    Special interactions on the rocking chair to read/sing/rock the baby to make them sleep and on the sink to bath babies.
    They wouldn’t necessarily need to free the babies to do something like this because they could make it so the baby is tied to these stations. Also stops the baby from being left in weird places
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited October 2020
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    It's because they goofed.
    Sims 4 wasn't supposed to be Sims 4 back when they were making it in 2013.
    Sims 4 was supposed to be an Online only game called Olympus. But EA scratched that idea, and because the devs were on a deadline they reused the same Online engine for Sims 4, oops.
    So, the devs have been trying for 6 years to fix the screwups caused by EA every since.
    If they can create pets that can be carried in the hands of Sims, why should it stop them to simply upgraded the life stage??? I mean let's be real(istic) and rational here!

What was in the past happened in the past! If they can add features on top of existing lifestages (via Parenthood) and let alone add a new lifestage entirely (toddler) in a PATCH UPDATE, what should be stopping to devoting time to create another one that would store data of the baby object and simply replace the object by moving in that life stage in every household??? Let's not excuse why they weren't done, let's DEMAND that they should make it!

"They can't be done cause of the Olympus" makes no sense because of the reasons I explained. Toddlers were patched in — why should we let developers slack off?! It's doable! The title is in present tense, not past.
    And I more so blame simguru grant for bad priorities.When he was there it seemed he had stuck in his head that players didn't care that much about family play so they didn't make it a priority.
    Maybe they thought player wouldn't even care that much because babies are a quick lifestate most people want to breeze through.
    And Lindsay wanted babies and she, according to the rank, should been done one to choose what decisions are made. Grant is gone for over quite some time - so where are these babies??? Also, why should Grant only be accountable if other gurus couldn't bother to research that better babiez be ideal change to the game? Is that hard for any one of them to take a look at the forum or the comment section under their official youtube channel to notice there's a screaming herd of "WHERE ARE THE FREE BABIES????". Yeah, no. Someone being louder doesn't mean they're the only ones making such irrational decisions.

If the issue of babies being on the floor is that irksome to yall, then why not have them CRAWL ON ALL-FOUR ON THE FLOOR WITH THEIR LIMBS?? Or allow the older sims to put them down on the bed and other soft surface where they can't leave? Don't you guys have imagination and creativity?
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    I thought it was funny when my Sims would put the baby on the floor. Like oops someone left the baby next to the electrodance sphere again.
  • Options
    Yeah, putting the baby on the floor may be a bad thing to some but when you have a house full of kids, toddlers and a few babies, no teens to help out in TS2 it's a way for the parent or care giver to eat before they die. I can see where this would look ridiculous in TS4 because they never starve, but it sure comes in handy for the mom to grab that last piece of pizza before the Grim Reaper arrives. Or hand off the baby so she could eat before dying. Or if late to work again if she took the time to go all the way upstairs to put the baby in the babybed. Someone in the home can pick up the baby and they usually do if the player hasn't given them a bunch of commands. Goopy came into my Sim's house the other day to pick up the baby, cuddle it, and put it back in bed so it would go back to sleep. lol The parents were passed out and too tired to get back up. :D
  • Options
    drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member

In the other games all you had to do was click on the crib and select to put the baby or toddler in there. In Sims 3 you can literally right click on their portrait and it will move the camera right to them. All of these complaints from people who clearly didn’t bother learning how to play the game.
  • Options
    OceanbornAngel13OceanbornAngel13 Posts: 104 Member
    edited October 2020
    I just wanted to make my opinion known here but I hate the baby and Toddler Stages. I'm not a huge fan of Kid or teen either. I like to go straight to young Adult (making my legit legacy Neighborhood playthrough quite tedious because i have to naturally let them age.) because I am mostly interested in mixing genetics and seeing what kind of adults I can produce, what they look like, etc. etc. any stage where there's no ability for reproduction is pretty useless to me.
    You know, I don't just play The Sims 4. ^_^
  • Options
    Cemason001Cemason001 Posts: 6 New Member
    If I remember right, they posted something about how it would break the game to change them. Changing a baby from an object to a baby would break many legacy save files and have to start the game over. Pregnant sims would be an issue during the update, and same thing with hospital births in the get to work pack. It would break more things than it would fix, leaving more players unhappy than happy. Probably won't be a thing for a while because of this.
  • Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Cemason001 wrote: »
    If I remember right, they posted something about how it would break the game to change them. Changing a baby from an object to a baby would break many legacy save files and have to start the game over. Pregnant sims would be an issue during the update, and same thing with hospital births in the get to work pack. It would break more things than it would fix, leaving more players unhappy than happy. Probably won't be a thing for a while because of this.

They can try to repair the broken features before releasing the baby update, just saying.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I'm gonna give this thread a boost #freethebabies
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • Options
    AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    edited October 2020
    The current babies can stay as they are, except for separating them from their bassinets. Adding another stage between them and toddlers shouldn’t break anything, though.

As for the leaving-them-on-the-ground problem, if you tell a Sim who is holding a baby to do something else (with a few exceptions, e.g. talking to another Sim or watching TV), they should automatically place the baby in the nearest available cot/pram/bouncer/whatever, or give them to another Sim who has their hands free. If that’s not possible (e.g. if they’re locked out of the nursery), then and only then will they put it on the floor. (And you can still manually tell the Sim where to put the baby before giving them another instruction.)

Maybe they should be movable in live mode too - I’ve had a couple of close calls with families living in larger houses, where the baby nearly got taken away because the parents only just reached the nursery in time to feed it.
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    I just wanted to make my opinion known here but I hate the baby and Toddler Stages. I'm not a huge fan of Kid or teen either. I like to go straight to young Adult (making my legit legacy Neighborhood playthrough quite tedious because i have to naturally let them age.) because I am mostly interested in mixing genetics and seeing what kind of adults I can produce, what they look like, etc. etc. any stage where there's no ability for reproduction is pretty useless to me.

Well, in TS2 you take two Sims in CAS and hit the make baby/toddler button and the genes are mixed then you can hit the age button and see what they would look like as an adult. I don't really have to fly through the age stages to know before I play. :p
  • Options

How did adding toddlers not break legacy saves? I wonder.
  • Options
    SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member

Well, in TS2 you take two Sims in CAS and hit the make baby/toddler button and the genes are mixed then you can hit the age button and see what they would look like as an adult. I don't really have to fly through the age stages to know before I play. :p

You can do exactly the same in Sims 4.

I don't know much about Patches and Toddlers breaking games but after one I found several of my Sims had changed sex and still had their original names. I've forgotten which one now!
  • Options
    knuckledusterknuckleduster Posts: 1,268 Member
    Personally I don't think it's so much as they don't care about them. I think it's more so they just haven't gotten to it yet 😉
    I truly believe they are in the works and will be amazing like toddlers in this series.

We all know the story of how this was a scrapped online game so of course it was missing all of these things. And since the company didn't want to wait and spend more time on the game before releasing this is what we got, and the gurus had to make it work.

And I more so blame simguru grant for bad priorities.When he was there it seemed he had stuck in his head that players didn't care that much about family play so they didn't make it a priority.
    Maybe they thought player wouldn't even care that much because babies are a quick lifestate most people want to breeze through.

I'm not a baby player myself I would barely use them but I'm always rooting for more family play 🙂

You know why so many love the older games? Because even if they don't play something a family player or rotational player might do, the option is there. That's why people are still playing older games because there is so much in them that they haven't actually done it all even now.

Thanks for the support. I don't think six years later Maxis can claim they care. It's not like Lyndsay didn't know this back when Rachel was the overseer and or when Lucy Bradshaw was running things and or when Grant went rogue. She has been the overseer for many years now, it seems it was more important do things like SW, IL, and EL more than make a life stage for the game rather than leave it as an object.

I can't agree they care at all. What they do is what they like, ignoring what people have told them they want to see. It's the same difference to some as skin types, gender neutral clothes, or environment challenges. They knew all this at the time the players told them they would like to see improvements with the life stages in a life simulator, like on day one and even before that during the four year development of the base. They knew all this during the years of TS3 when people asked for a baby stage that wasn't a bundle.

They can't claim they care when it takes years and years to do something about something. They choose what is to be done, not us. So, no they don't actually 'care' about any life stage in this game. They care about what they care about and that has nothing to do with what players want to play.

Exactly.

• Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    Worst case scenario, if they were to free babies I can see them getting stuck behind walls or on their parents until they are taken away. My best case scenario is that they don't crawl around, instead we get different cribs, more onesies to change the babies and a pouch to put baby in to take them out and about. Kinda wish the babies had hair.

This seems to be more of a better argument besides clipping issues. It's bad enough our pets get stuck in places like under the stairs blocked by walls or sometimes stuck in between them with no routing to leave. So this I can understand.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Options
    BMSO wrote: »

This seems to be more of a better argument besides clipping issues. It's bad enough our pets get stuck in places like under the stairs blocked by walls or sometimes stuck in between them with no routing to leave. So this I can understand.

But TS4 was sold to us as the game that had come up with an amazing removal of markers where Sims would never get stuck again like in older games...we sacrificed so much to get that game didn't we? Such as open world, memories, etc. So, now you guys are telling me pets get stuck when TS4 was sold as the game (one of the three things that made it so amazing according to Maxis) where this wouldn't happen. :/
  • Options
    nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    I personally don't think that they don't care about them, considering they did get a small update in Nifty Knitting, it's just that they're focusing on other stuff. Since it'll definitely have to be in the Base Game if they don't want MAJOR backlash (possibly worse than Star Wars), they're going to need budget approval, and since this would change the core of an entire life stage it would cost a lot of money, and they're focusing on fixing skin tones right now, and who knows how many other packs.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• Options
    I personally don't think that they don't care about them, considering they did get a small update in Nifty Knitting, it's just that they're focusing on other stuff. Since it'll definitely have to be in the Base Game if they don't want MAJOR backlash (possibly worse than Star Wars), they're going to need budget approval, and since this would change the core of an entire life stage it would cost a lot of money, and they're focusing on fixing skin tones right now, and who knows how many other packs.

Why are they focusing on skin tones? think real hard about it, because the reputaion of EA is on the line, the cancel culture could cause people to boycott EA games. The skin tone issue has been there for over six years. It's a new political climate these past few years. People boycott companies these days when they want to draw attention to something they think is not inclusive. Maxis is focusing on this because they know this could hurt their reputation, a baby stuck in a crib won't hurt their reputation, so they do what is politically expedient for them to make money. It has nothing to do with 'caring' at all.