Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What are your thoughts on the complaining?

Comments

• SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    I remember the beautiful British Columbia Mountains when my parents & I had a road trip back in the 1980's.
  • kristenleighwhitekristenleighwhite Posts: 226 Member
    I think it's a bit much for people to make threads about complaining. I think people should be able to come to the forums and share their enjoyment or displeasure, whatever side they may fall. I do not agree with people going into a positive only thread to complain, the same way I do not think it is okay for people to go into the negative only threads, telling people to move on or find a different game. I also dislike when people say, "well x side does it more!"...to me, that is the equivalent to when my children tell on eachother for hitting, only for the other child to say, "well, he hit me first!"
    For myself having been a simmer since Sims 1, I immediately bought Sims 4 at its release. I played about 5 hours, realized it wasn't for me, and didn't even touch the game until it was updated around the time of Cats and Dogs. In the time I did not play, I did not come to the forums for Sims 4, because I didn't play the game. I casually kept an eye on it, but that was it. Now that play it regularly, I have criticisms and praises. If I still hated it, I would not invest anymore money into it. I still play Sims 3 the most, then 4, then 2. If there were some updates done to 2, I might play it more. I definitely change my playstyle for 4, and I will never get over that kids can't ride a bike without a mod.
    Personally, I just think a lot of these things aren't huge issues, but when I did have "huge issues", I didn't play 4, but kept back with Sims 3...though if someone does want to keep investing money, that is their decision, and as someone who pays money or who possibly did pay a lot of money for a game, I do not care if they complain all day long. I have the right to not respond or ignore those threads. (Though honestly, I read all kinds of threads on here, and even when I don't agree, it doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game.)
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    To answer the question in the first post: this forum and AHQ gives such a silly negative toxic appaearance. I don’t think those posting negatively realise how they are interpreted and the impression they give; also to those who reads the forum but posts their opinion on it elsewhere.

Criticism is not what this forum does; it’s complaining and whining; aggressively, hateful, rude, ignorant and boring.

The sims games is the best selling game in all game history, and an original idea of a discussion forum is to sell even more, because that is what happens when players talk about a game; yet the account names using this forum are very few. Where are all the other players, and why don’t they post here? Why are so few of actual members posting regularly?

And I'll flag any post or thread I feel to be 'inappropriate' by my own standards of behaviour and disinterest of engagement with trolls; but also for the proper way according to the rules of this forum: to not engage, but report and let the, very very few, CM's here deal with it. I don’t think they read all the threads and rely both here and on AHQ, on players reporting. I would prefer for EA to actively managing their forums instead of letting players do it for them; but I prefer more not having trolls unchecked everywhere.

And to answer the question posed, my definition of a troll, that is a person who only posts to create negativity, is one to be applied on every post made on this forum that breathes badly about the game.

Criticism, towards a profit mongering game production that is unchecked by laws is not something done efficiently by raging in a social forum; and I do not want to have to see it coming here for entertainment. I ignore players, skip threads and don’t read certain sections of the forums but it makes me full of contempt towards EA's idea of what is allowed in a forum, that I have to actively avoid features because there is no management to make sure that everyone feel welcome everywhere.

I think more threads like this is needed, perhaps posted in Forum Feedback section, to perhaps make EA aware of how bad the situation is.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    I sometimes think that this forum could do with a Twitter-like maximum length on posts. It would do wonders for having to pack your ideas into succinct, shorter, more readable length.

It's the massive length of some of the complaints that turns me off. No paragraphs either. They might be completely reasonable complaints, but lost in the wordage.

That's my only complaint. Carry on. :)
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    I used to be bothered by the constant complaining, but now I’m realizing I shouldn’t be bothered by it because most things people complain about are valid things to complain about.

The only time complaining ‘bothers me’ is when people are complaining just to be negative instead of constructive.
  • MissyHissyMissyHissy Posts: 2,022 Member
    edited October 2020
    There is a certain group of simmers whom you never see on the S4 forums or Twitter until there is a dlc release. Then they flood on and do nothing but complain and spread negativity. They make complaint threads and chastise anyone who defends S4, but happily enter obviously positive threads to drag them down. It’s incredibly obvious too that no matter what the devs do it will never ever be enough. Even if a feature is added that they say they’re wanting they complain “it’s watered down”, “it’s not meaningful enough”, it’s not deep enough”. Some have said many times they haven’t played for years, which means they just lay in wait for an excuse to crawl out of the woodwork and rain on the parade of those who do enjoy this iteration. The thing I really can’t abide though, is when they attack the gurus/devs on a personal level calling them lazy, or money grabbers etc, and other simmers by saying that by enjoying this game and purchasing dlc they’re sellouts or destroying the franchise.

Like seriously, it just so old and tired.

And sheep. I've been called a sheep many times because I'm enjoying myself with the game :D
    *All my mods can be found on The Daily Plumbob*MiAqoAE.png
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,828 Member
    I don't blame them. They have every right to.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • MovottiMovotti Posts: 7,774 Member
    I see forums as a place for discussion, so I'm one of those weirdos who likes to go for a whine in a positive thread, to stimulate more discussion. Even the good things about the game have issues.

As others have said, complaints are feedback. When you're eating out, and your glass and fork are dirty, do you just ignore them, because everything else is fine? Most people would complain. Complaints bring change.

AmusingExhaustedArchaeopteryx-max-1mb.gif
  • gnelso1239gnelso1239 Posts: 190 Member
    edited October 2020
    It might just be me, but is anyone just sick of the complaining that comes out of this forum? Seriously, are you guys actually shocked when we get minuscule gameplay features? I have my own problems with the game (Selling out to Disney? Why!?) but, I'm honestly just grateful we have decent parts of the game. The six different complaint threads for every released pack to date (as well as the base-game) popping up in my feed is exhausting. Maxis is probably trying to please us as best they can, and it's most likely really discouraging to have such vocal negativity around projects they've worked on. Where is the positivity on the main level of the forum?

Feel free to add your piece, or get into a light hearted debate with me on the issue of complaining.

EDIT: Oof. This is difficult to look at. I don't want to bruise my reputation on this forum and don't want others to get into meaningless fights about something that I posted. This was never the intention. All I wanted to do was share my own opinion, and hear others' opinions as well. It seems as though this has become Facebook in a way. A user ((I forget who) said that I should add a question to hopefully make this less of a vent, and more of a public discussion. I think that's a good idea.

So: What do you think of the complaining, negativity, and personal threats to Maxis on the forum?

A complaint about complaining.

• SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    Not really. A forum is a place to discuss and options differ from one person to another. I think people should be free to post whatever they want as long as it’s respectful.

If only it were, but that is not the case.

People say shockingly rude things about the studio and the developers who work there, their competence, their investment in their work, their motives, etc. on a regular basis. Things which, if you said them about any other community member, would earn an account suspension.

I am appalled by it. I get angry at it. I get angry at Simmers who defend it. Don't.
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    A lot of complaints about the game stem from a love and passion of the series. If you don't like a game, it's so much easier to put it down and play something else instead and just go on with your life, other than the fact you played a game you didn't like. When you have words to say about a game, go into detail on how it can be improved, I think that can only stem from the biggest fans.

I do think civility can be an issue at points. People need to understand that we all have different opinions and most of the time, none of the hostility is warranted.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • ironknight35ironknight35 Posts: 3,751 Member
    gnelso1239 wrote: »
    It might just be me, but is anyone just sick of the complaining that comes out of this forum? Seriously, are you guys actually shocked when we get minuscule gameplay features? I have my own problems with the game (Selling out to Disney? Why!?) but, I'm honestly just grateful we have decent parts of the game. The six different complaint threads for every released pack to date (as well as the base-game) popping up in my feed is exhausting. Maxis is probably trying to please us as best they can, and it's most likely really discouraging to have such vocal negativity around projects they've worked on. Where is the positivity on the main level of the forum?

Feel free to add your piece, or get into a light hearted debate with me on the issue of complaining.

EDIT: Oof. This is difficult to look at. I don't want to bruise my reputation on this forum and don't want others to get into meaningless fights about something that I posted. This was never the intention. All I wanted to do was share my own opinion, and hear others' opinions as well. It seems as though this has become Facebook in a way. A user ((I forget who) said that I should add a question to hopefully make this less of a vent, and more of a public discussion. I think that's a good idea.

So: What do you think of the complaining, negativity, and personal threats to Maxis on the forum?

A complaint about complaining.

Yep... Always makes me laugh 😂
    He/Him
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    devs are the face of the game. if something goes wrong with the game then guess who's gonna get all the blame? doesn't mean it's personal, it's about their job. the fact that they're active on social media makes them even more vulnerable to criticism and stuff. we really don't know who is behind all the bad decisions of the game, but devs keep saying it's all them so it's what we got. it doesn't help their image either the fact that they make a lot of excuses, victimize themselves and mock their players every now and then.
    but if we could directly complain to the ea ceo or the maxis head i assure you we would lmao.
  • Nekia33painterNekia33painter Posts: 336 Member
    edited October 2020
    People complain and it's up to the reader what they want to do with it. Don't go into a complaining thread and act surprise when people don't appreciate you singing the game high praises. Same as how you wouldn't appreciate someone going into a positive forum and being negative. You're not going to stop people from saying what they want. You're well in your right to say your piece in any thread. But to turn around and complain about people complain seems like unnecessary stress honestly.
  • wickichickwickichick Posts: 11,130 Member
    I have played the sims since one year after the first version was released. I didn't come to the forums however until The sims 2. People were really unhappy with lots of stuff. I was really surprised. Some of the complaints have merit. I think most recently those who brought the concern of the Korean players was constructive and warranted. A cultural learning experience. There is some bugs that do need to be addressed. One of the biggest issues with that is how folks never know how/when such bugs will be addressed. We would just like to know most of the time. Crin who doesn't work for EA is more caring addressing bugs then anyone on the EA team. These are reasonable concerns to me and I like reading the stuff that is mildly to insanely ridiculous. Boy do folks threaten and huff and they puff. It sets my own life realities in a better light. I would be asleep super early if I put that much energy into getting that worked up. This was a great idea for a thread discussion.
  • taydevtaydev Posts: 912 Member
    A thread dedicated to complaining about complaints. Haven’t seen one of these in a while.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Honestly at this point I prefer complain threads than the positive one any day. I like reading some of the complain from community and some of the feedbacks are actually eye opening.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • sims2freak737sims2freak737 Posts: 2,543 Member
    I think it's all valid. The Sims isn't just some game that popped up out of nowhere in the last couple years. It's been around for about 2 decades. The Sims 4 costs upwards of $700+ for all the content and I think fans are justified in their criticisms. I don't see it as complaining so much as people wanting a game they've poured hundreds of dollars and hours into playing to be better than what it is. The Sims 4 has been notorious for lacking basic gameplay features that made The Sims - The Sims 3 so fantastic. Each of those generations of the game brought something totally new to the franchise and The Sims 4 in many ways has taken steps back time and time again. They've also taken previous Expansion Packs and broken them down into multiple packs.

The Sims 3 Ambitions = The Sims 4 Get to Work/Laundry Day Stuff
    The Sims 3 University Life = The Sims 4 Discover University/Bowling Night Stuff
    The Sims 3 Supernatural = The Sims 4 Vampires/Realm of Magic
    The Sims 3 Pets = The Sims 4 Cats And Dogs (just cats and dogs...)
    The Sims 3 Late Night/Showtime = The Sims 4 City Living/Get Famous

I think this thread contributes to the complaining you're talking about but that doesn't mean that you're feelings/points aren't any less valid.
  • shokoroseshokorose Posts: 66 Member
    This is a quote from Lily Thomlin in her character as the bag lady. “Man invented the spoken word because of his basic inner need to complain.” Even valid complaints can get tiresome, even when I am the one complaining. However I think that people have a right to do it if they so choose. If I’m not in the mood to listen or read it I just don’t. Easy peasy.
  • BrittanyChick22BrittanyChick22 Posts: 2,130 Member
    edited October 2020
    No, complaints makes change. If you never challenge a company/someone about their services then they will never improve for the better. Why would they if they only want to hear positive feedback? The reason we have the technology we have today isn't because someone just invented it, but because someone saw flaws, critiqued it, then improved on them.

I do think it's a bit ironic that people complain about the claiming threads, I have not once step into a positive thread to complain but I have seen many people do it when it comes to complaint thread to complain about those being dissatisfied. I also see people telling us what is and what isn't criticizing, when the truth is if your feedback isn't positive about sims 4 90%of the time, then you're pushed to the side by Ea and other simmers on this site for not giving "real criticizing".
    giphy.gif

• ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    Consumers have paid for the product and thus have every right to complain and demand and suggest. The REAL problem is lack of CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. "Wah, this/that/third is bad!" Bad HOW?
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • yoshi_dragur2012yoshi_dragur2012 Posts: 1,670 Member
    edited November 2020
    Another complaining about the complainers thread. Well, I'll take the bait and bite. Seems EA may have lost a significant number of potential TS4 customers with this latest fiasco going down on Steam.

1st, they insult Steam

players by requiring pervasive online access to play any of their games. Are you currently lacking internet access? And/or have the additional misfortune of living in a state which is still enforcing quarantine lockdown due to Covid? Well forget about trying to play any of their games using Steam's offline feature for now and in the future.

2nd, they rake salt & pepper into the wound by mandating Steam players install their crappy, invasive Origin client. Which btw, requires mandatory account linking to Steam to validate online game access.

3rd, they pour boiling hot iodine & hydrogen peroxide into a now festering wound. Origin is still BLOCKING prospective Steam players access to playing TS4 unless they first provide a legit CD key...right in the middle of a Free Play weekend....

So EA continues to literally shoot itself in the foot with this latest TS4 promotion. Potential customers still can't access the game on a free play week. Because Origin is asking for a CD key that doesn't exist!

You simply CANNOT. Make. This. Up.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/1222670/eventcomments/3001046778344782809?ctp=2

To buy ALL the GP/SP/EPs for this gen of The Sims, you have to shell out a whopping $482.13 USD. This cost is the DISCOUNTED PRICE for all DLC content for the game. And that's NOT factoring the cost of the base game at $39.99. Which has been steeply discounted 75% to $9.99 USD by Steam during this promotion...

https://imgur.com/a/yuX75Yx

Outstanding job EA. You never cease to disappoint where lowering the bar on future potential fan base expectations are concerned :D

[swearing/cursing removed - EA_Leeloo
    Post edited by EA_Leeloo on
  • IcewolfIcewolf Posts: 709 Member
    While I don't mind that people critique certain things, this constant complaining that The Sims 4 sucks and nothing is never good enough is really annoying. It's not as bad on this forum, but on Reddit and other sites people just constantly make comments like "The Sims 4 BAD" on every single thing. What I don't understand is why people like that keep playing if they hate the game so much. I would have ditched the game long ago if I were them.

People have the right to say their opinions. But just reading all these complaints are tiring. Like, okay you hate The Sims 4. Ok, why bother then? Go play another Sims game in the meantime then.
  • Meela_PashtMeela_Pasht Posts: 704 Member
    What bothers me is the "click bait" type of thread. The title says one thing and when you start reading, it's full of negative comments and something entirely different
    If you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all. Live in your Truth.
  • LeaselmaryLeaselmary Posts: 108 Member
    They've also taken previous Expansion Packs and broken them down into multiple packs.
    Which is completely reasonable. Sims 3 packs were a mess.
    None of the Supernatural occults were intresting to play. Shouldn't have crammed them all in one Expansion.
    Celebrities in the NL were a nuisance. I much prefer Get Famous system.
    And Get to Work open careers are so much better than the Ambitions ones. + GtW introduced busyness which none of Sims 3 expansion did.

I have my complaints about the Sims 4, but packs is not one of them, sims 4 packs are the best.