Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Are they really listening to us? Watch this!

DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
edited October 2020 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umg8h1UOoFM
Thoughts? Agree or disagree? Why?
NNpYlHF.jpg

Comments

• ChazzzyChazzzy Posts: 7,166 Member
    Watch what?
  • DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    @Chazzzy I'd fixed it now.
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited October 2020
    Well, I agree with her about the flaws in telemetry. I think using telementry and focus groups to determine what simmers want is too narrow and leads to some bad decisions. Regarding telemetry, data interpretation is a bit of an art. There's a reason why statistics has advanced degrees -- just because someone reads a bunch of data doesn't mean they know what that data are actually saying.
    Post edited by Felicity on
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    edited October 2020
    Obviously their telemetry is flawed when you make 90% of the game play probably much more only for adult Sims people will play that more because there is actually something to do pack after pack the younger life stages are excluded such as kids cant be Vampires. I'm truly surprised kids can ski that to me is the only true way to test something will people who play children take them skiing and use the other content actually available to them or will more people create children and toddlers to experience the new game play with them.
    Post edited by ChadSims2 on
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    Perhaps they underestimate the huge number of family players and legacy challenge players. You would think they would have realized it by now given the outcry on toddlers.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    Perhaps they underestimate the huge number of family players and legacy challenge players. You would think they would have realized it by now given the outcry on toddlers.

@SimsILikeSims thats what angers me... they pretend to listen/learn, but they never do. Lack of family gameplay was a problem back in SIms 3 to the point where they released Generations, stating that this was their way to let us know they learned what we wanted and bla bla blah. And here we are, all over again with the same stuff lacking.
    Yeah, we got "Parenthood", but... just that after 5 years?
    edited October 2020
    Karon wrote: »

@SimsILikeSims thats what angers me... they pretend to listen/learn, but they never do. Lack of family gameplay was a problem back in SIms 3 to the point where they released Generations, stating that this was their way to let us
    know they learned what we wanted and bla bla blah. And here we are, all over again with the same stuff lacking.

They can say “we hear you” but what some don’t understand is that hearing and listening, and hearing and understanding are NOT the same thing. My husband can hear me mumble in my sleep, but he doesn’t listen because he is trying to sleep. I hear Spanish at work all the time, but because I do not speak Spanish, I do not understand.

What makes me sad and angry is their apparent lack of effort to understand, not just hear. Nobody who is wise waits for a crisis situation before reacting: it is called being proactive.

That said, they are likely misinterpreting what they hear us saying. We say we miss winter activities, they give us a snow activity pack. We say we want something new, they give us a Star Wars pack. We say we miss the basketball hoop, they return it in City Living. We said we wanted dishwashers back, we got them as a patch a year later. We said we wanted toddlers back, we got them back in a patch THREE years later. This last one illustrates my next point best: PRIORITIES.

I think this area, priorities, is where they understand us least. But as much of our Simmer community as possible needs to agree on the priorities for them to be actionable: otherwise they get written off as a squabble between factions of players.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    edited October 2020

I think they underestimate the amount of supernatural players too, given how long it's taken for us to get what we want and how they've nerfed what we have.

I think they underestimate the amount of supernatural players too, given how long it's taken for us to get what we want and how they've nerfed what we have.

One thing I notice once a pack comes out is how it doesn’t have certain features players want. What if they used polls when in development to determine desired features? Then again, they have done that a few times with community stuff packs, including the very theme of the pack. I think the most controversy I have seen is regarding choice of theme. However, I am pretty sure they are working on several projects behind the scenes, so they could get input on several at the same time.

edited October 2020
    Also, regarding their focus groups, why not have a focus group with established Simmers, like their influencers, well known Sim bloggers, established modders and the like? You should never abandon your old friends to get new ones. In past years this may have been unheard of because people assumed it required airfare. But in these times, everything can and is done remotely.
  • sketchessketches Posts: 274 Member
    edited October 2020
    Karon wrote: »

@SimsILikeSims thats what angers me... they pretend to listen/learn, but they never do. Lack of family gameplay was a problem back in SIms 3 to the point where they released Generations, stating that this was their way to let us
    know they learned what we wanted and bla bla blah. And here we are, all over again with the same stuff lacking.

They can say “we hear you” but what some don’t understand is that hearing and listening, and hearing and understanding are NOT the same thing. My husband can hear me mumble in my sleep, but he doesn’t listen because he is trying to sleep. I hear Spanish at work all the time, but because I do not speak Spanish, I do not understand.

What makes me sad and angry is their apparent lack of effort to understand, not just hear. Nobody who is wise waits for a crisis situation before reacting: it is called being proactive.

That said, they are likely misinterpreting what they hear us saying. We say we miss winter activities, they give us a snow activity pack. We say we want something new, they give us a Star Wars pack. We say we miss the basketball hoop, they return it in City Living. We said we wanted dishwashers back, we got them as a patch a year later. We said we wanted toddlers back, we got them back in a patch THREE years later. This last one illustrates my next point best: PRIORITIES.

[...]

Something that would fix all of these one-off object requests would be having a Sims 4 store. They might be avoiding it because it's probably resource-intensive to code. But... gosh is it CONVENIENT for the players to have it in The Sims 3. I love picking and choosing my Sims content. And I am just plain not a fan of mods. It is so nice in The Sims 3 to have a store for individual items and packs.

Packs should be for gameplay enhancements. They should not be FOCUSED on build/buy/CAS content. No offense to the builders. I just don't want a lot of the clothes and hair that comes with the packs. I don't like the system where we have to pay $40 (or $25 or $15 or even $5 whatever) to just get that one sweet hairstyle or to get the University shower (I really want that shower, but don't want a bunch of the content from University).

Heck, even worlds. I wish I could buy the worlds individually (even if they come empty without build/buy items), like you can buy just worlds in The Sims 3 store. :angry:

Edit: The Sims Mobile is kind of heavily based on The Sims 4 desktop, isn't it? I don't know, which is why I'm asking. If so, well, newsflash: you can buy individual items without needing to buy entire expansion packs. The Sims Mobile doesn't have expansion packs. But they offer the same items from The Sims 4 desktop, individually available. I love being able to mix and match that way (side note: you don't have to spend any money in The Sims Mobile to get this content, but that's not my point at all).

(Huffs out to cool down.)
    Origin ID: sketchur
    Sims 3 MyPage: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/sketches

#FixThePersonalities
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    So basically the whole team have a comprehensive problem. Very sad.
    I'm all for mentally slow people being allowed to work, however there still needs mentally fast people to work with them.