Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Do you enjoy clutter?

Comments

• Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    Yes; it makes building and live mode better.
    I love clutter, give me all the clutter!!!
    it makes building and live mode more fun for me, I wouldn't want to live in a stale house and I don't like to play in one either...
    but I always make sure that things are useable, only minor things or stuff that the build has multible of are sometimes blocked by clutter but that is done intentionally (it's usually standing mirrors, as I like using them for decor and since there are more mirrors in the house it is fine if one is not interactable....same goes for counters, if there are enough left free than others can be cluttered).

Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    Frn0731Frn0731 Posts: 7,180 Member
    I love it, bring it on. I love how it sets the mood.
    Laugh out loud. Often
  • Options
    AyeffenAyeffen Posts: 258 Member
    It is an interesting point. As someone that really enjoys building I tend to lean quite heavily on the decorative and clutter items to create the home or space that I envisage. I also use a number of objects at a smaller or giant-size to fill in for content that I'd otherwise like to see available.

This does obviously create a lot of non-functional/redundant objects and I can see why that would frustrate a lot of other players. When I watch the "speed-builds" on YT I do get a bit frustrated with how much decorative content they include especially when it involves painstakingly encasing objects with panels and such to completely disguise them but leave them usable.

There tends to be a lot comments saying that the lot is unusable when downloaded and I know that there are sometimes innocent reasons for that but oftentimes it's just too busy and things break.

I've only recently begun using cheats to place objects where they don't snap or otherwise belong and I'm yet to have an issue to do with routing or generally using functional objects. Everything in moderation I guess.
    1NraNSJ.png
    My Gallery 🏠 | Gamer 🎮 | Husband 👬
  • Options
    nahnahtodeinahnahtodei Posts: 58 Member
    I love, love, love clutter. Maybe an unreasonable amount. It's the first thing I save up for once my Sims can survive in their home. :D
  • Options
    DevilNDisguiseDevilNDisguise Posts: 2,225 Member
    For me, clutter makes households feel more lived in. I have some "neater" houses too, just depends on the type of Sims I play.

Clutter definitely improves building for me, as I love to decorate. While it doesn't add much to actual gameplay, and I'm okay with that, it at least makes my houses look not so boring.
  • Options
    Evilyn_1007Evilyn_1007 Posts: 762 Member
    A bit of both. I don't like too much clutter or over using MOO. I don't build and download most of my lots. I find myself gravitating towards simple builds or deleting some of the clutter. I really hate when things just float in the air.

But I think we don't have enough small clutter items that slot into shelves. why don't we have more decorative framed small pictures. It's why every build has those framed apple/pear and the tissue box.
  • Options
    sarabeth2984sarabeth2984 Posts: 849 Member
    edited October 2020
    I like "clutter" because it makes the room look more lived in and realistic. Although I try not to overdo it because of lag issue. And its really important to playtest a build to make sure your sims can use the objects you need them too. Sometimes clutter can come in handy! My sims LOVE to do all their meal prep on the counter in the bathroom next to the dirty toilet and wash dishes there too. I found adding clutter on bathroom counters prevents that. Also if your sims like to wash dishes there too, add a mirror or even better, the medicine cabinet over the sink. They will tend to reroute and use the kitchen instead. Just make sure to keep at least one kitchen counter free of clutter and the sink accessible.
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    edited October 2020
    I can take it or leave it, but we have a good amount.
    Used in moderation it adds some character to a build and makes it feel lived in.

The problem is that many of the popular builders use so much of it all over the place it makes their builds unusable. I'm not sure who all the people who download their stuff on the gallery are, but they obviously don't use it in their games.

Also there is a curious lack of some clutter items, for example why is there only toilet roll holder?
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    No; it makes building and live mode worse.
    I can not stand major clutter in live or build modes, this game already has bugs and issues as it is and the ton of clutter just causes too many time lag and graphic lag glitches. However, when it comes to collectables I like to keep them in moderation.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Options
    IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    As I said earlier in this thread, I love clutter. The more the better, actually. :D But I am very glad I have read all the comments in this thread. I am just starting to upload my builds, (1 so far) and in future I will try to remove any excess clutter or decorations (which should be hard since I loves my clutter so much my precious). Since I play Vanilla I don't use MOO, so that will be no problem for anyone who uses my builds. I also playtest everything, because I am building these houses for myself to use.
  • Options
    SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Dislike it in the game and in real life.
  • Options
    SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I like it because it makes the rooms feel like their lived in.
    I wouldn't complain if Sims could actually use some of the clutter but I like its mere existence in the game to make some rooms feel more real.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • Options
    dogzdinnerdogzdinner Posts: 422 Member
    Yes; it makes building better.
    I love clutter. My preferred method of 'playing' is mostly building and set dressing rooms and landscaping is my favourite part. I dont like a clutter free build as it looks like a show home (and yet ironically Im a minimalist at home!).
    Gotta have MOO though. Not necessarily because I overload builds with clutter its just placing everything in set squares looks weirdly uniform and you wouldnt see that generally in a home.
  • Options
    SablesashaSablesasha Posts: 417 Member
    No; it makes live mode worse.
    I like the look of it, but i hate it in any house i have playing sims in
    If I download a house, almost half the cost of the house is clutter! And I end up taking nearly all of it out.
  • Options
    CheekyimpCheekyimp Posts: 124 Member
    I like a light scattering of things, a pile of books here, a knife block there, a plant in the corner, nothing excessive, but just enough to make the house look like a lived in home, rather than a show home. I hate gallery builds that have so much clutter in them my sims can't move, they are stripped out straight away! There is such a thing as too much, and using MOO is too much! But a little bit in the right places can make all the difference.
  • Options
    jimbbqjimbbq Posts: 2,734 Member
    I can take it or leave it, but we probably have too much.
    Hate them. We have way too many!
  • Options
    RadioAChickenRadioAChicken Posts: 163 Member
    I like using "clutter" to add personality to a place and make it look lived in but I do not feel the need to put it everywhere. I've seen builds with kitchen counters with so much stuff that in reality would be a nightmare to clean. You just need a couple of pieces for some extra colour in my opinion
    iscQh5U.png
  • Options
    ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    Minimal clutter is fine and can make Sims rooms or houses fit better with their personality. But like real life I don't like it to cluttered keep things looking neat hate when people are trash collectors and got stuff everywhere.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • Options
    ShachaaiShachaai Posts: 55 Member
    I love clutter, and most of the CC I use in game are clutter objects. It helps my builds feel a little more lived-in, and adds some personality to each sim's space. As a rotational player, it really helps to individualise the different households: I want all (okay, most) of my sims to succeed in life, but eventually that means they're all going to eventually end up with almost the exact same top-range furniture in their homes in a very small range of colours. At least I can distinguish between them by having a range of fruit bowls, books in questionable places, and some other weird assortment cluttering up the dining table and mantelpiece.
  • Options
    KDC9KDC9 Posts: 3 New Member
    Clutter is okay when the rooms are spacious. Minimalism is nice too but I find most my characters dislike my minimal decor.
  • Options
    Simtown15Simtown15 Posts: 3,952 Member
    Onverser wrote: »
    I hate clutter. I don't understand why the majority of popular builders feel the need to clutter every inch of space with stuff, it makes a build completely unplayable to me. Just feels like very much a style > functionality thing and I'd rather have houses that play well then houses that look pretty in screenshots.

Whenever I download a gallery build nowadays I have to delete like half of the stuff, all the columns, replace the giant lights with tiny ones, get rid of any giant mirrors or bookcases obstructing the build, get rid of the 50 items that are just levitating in thin air from most rotations as they've been alt placed on shelves, etc etc. Very few popular builders focus on functionality and it's a shame.

This is exactly how I feel! I started building my own houses specifically for this reason. It takes less time to build a functional house than to find one on the gallery.
  • Options
    thatpinkcoconutthatpinkcoconut Posts: 187 Member
    As a low end player, I need to stick to houses with few to no clutter. But as somebody who loves realism and is artistic, I prefer those with clutter. I'm caught in the middle but most of the time, I'm function > form. There's good amount of clutter then there's too much clutter.
  • Options
    JemmaTheSimmerJemmaTheSimmer Posts: 387 Member
    I like it, mostly for building but it does help in live mode too.

Most peoples houses I go to have stuff around on kitchen counters, shelves, tables, chests of drawers, etc. so it seems more realistic to have stuff on them rather than empty shelves. That's only for residential, I'm much more minimal for community lots as in real life that seems to be the case. Obviously exceptions exist, but that generally is the case I've found.

I do use move objects, though mostly for plants, wall decor and stuff on surfaces where I dislike where the slots are (desk lights and centering objects where there is no centered spot are my biggest issues). I try not to use it too much though, especially for actual usable objects, most just making things slightly closer together (like putting the fridge next to the counter or an accent table next to a chair). I playtest any build that uses it a lot or in ways that I don't usually use it though. I do put everything on the gallery but I'm not a popular builder or anything so I don't worry too much about it tbh.
  • Options
    NiaraTiaraNiaraTiara Posts: 120 Member
    Clutter is fine as long as it's not excessive. I don't want my sims lagging around and failing to get places because of a random laundry pile on the floor.
    Let there be Fairies! o:)
  • Options
    NikkihNikkih Posts: 1,758 Member
    Yes; it makes live mode better.
    It's kind of a yes and no for me, theres clutter and theres clutter, a little bit clutter is nice, like others say, it makes sims houses look lived in however there is a such thing is too much lol