Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Applying Windowed Borderless Gaming to the sims 3

JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
Hi, I'm so happy to apply this to the sims 3. I prefer to play the sims 3 on windowed mode but it didn't fill my whole screen. I have been playing on 1920x1200 resolution but I'm able to play on 2560x1440 with this program. But I have only ONE problem with this. Is there anyone use this while playing the sims3? The fonts are a bit broken.

Untitled-8.jpg

Dose Anyone know how to make the fonts clearer? Is there only one way to fix this to back to the previous 1920x1200 windowed mode? Then, the fonts will get smaller and hard to recognize them with my poor vision.

The reason I prefer the windowed mode is because it's easy to take screenshots including ui menus and interaction menus without using other capture program. Also I can do many things while saving my game often such as searching internet, reading posts etc.. The screenshots from full screen mode turn out very dark using keyboard capture key. Or is there any other way to capture in the full screen mode without using capture program or C key?

3.jpg
This is my game screen with the borderless windowed gaming program. I captured this using my keyboard capture key. I like this feature supported by Maxis in the sims 4.

Comments

• izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    If you're using steam version you can use f12 to capture the whole screen including UI, and you will also have overlay to browse website. If you bought from origin, origin has the equivalent overlay feature but I have since disabled it since it crashes often and it make the game I run on it crash to desktop as well.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    edited October 2020
    izecson wrote: »
    If you're using steam version you can use f12 to capture the whole screen including UI, and you will also have overlay to browse website. If you bought from origin, origin has the equivalent overlay feature but I have since disabled it since it crashes often and it make the game I run on it crash to desktop as well.

Unfortunately, i don't have account on steam. My game patch version is 1.67, so I don't log into origin either. I installed all Eps and Sps via discs. By the way, I heard the game crashes very often on steam version, is it true? I'd like to try the steam version after purchasing the sims 3 on sale.

Jeansoo wrote: »

Unfortunately, i don't have account on steam. My game patch version is 1.67, so I don't log into origin either. I installed all Eps and Sps via discs. By the way, I heard the game crashes very often on steam version, is it true? I'd like to try the steam version after purchasing the sims 3 on sale.

If you're using disc version you can add ts3w.exe to steam library, that way the game will run while having steam overlay function as well.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2020
    I have been running the Steam version of my game for years and it's fine. I've never heard anyone, who wasn't suffering from some other problem like a broken computer or had some other issue happening at the same time, claim that Steam is not a stable platform. I don't need to have Steam or the Launcher running to start the game, the Launcher bypass by way of a shortcut right to the exe file for TS3w works just fine. Once the game is up and running, it's Patch 1.67 just like any other on that patch level. It's possible that TS3 doesn't like some of the Steam overlays very much but since I rarely start up Steam in the first place in order to play TS3, I'm not seeing those issues.

The cut off and funny looking "fonts" you are experiencing is usually due to a slight mismatch between the resolutions of your game and your overall computer. I get these too on various resolution combinations and usually trying different ones helps to solve it.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net

If you're using disc version you can add ts3w.exe to steam library, that way the game will run while having steam overlay function as well.

OMG..that's new to me. Thank you! :D
    edited October 2020
    igazor wrote: »
    I have been running the Steam version of my game for years and it's fine. I've never heard anyone, who wasn't suffering from some other problem like a broken computer or had some other issue happening at the same time, claim that Steam is not a stable platform. I don't need to have Steam or the Launcher running to start the game, the Launcher bypass by way of a shortcut right the exe file for TS3w works just fine. Once the game is up and running, it's Patch 1.67 just like any other on that patch level. It's possible that TS3 doesn't like some of the Steam overlays very much but since I rarely start up Steam in the first place in order to play TS3, I'm not seeing those issues.

The cut off and funny looking "fonts" you are experiencing is usually due to a slight mismatch between the resolutions of your game and your overall computer. I get these too on various resolution combinations and usually trying different ones helps to solve it.

Thank you. Then,it could be from other broken mod issue. I have one more question. There's an easy way to change the language on origin on patch 1.69. Is there any easy way to change to other language in steam version? Sometimes, I enjoy playing in English version but sometimes, I miss my language too. :D
    Also which mode is better for running game between full screen mode and windowed mode? Which one causes less crashing?
    edited October 2020
    Afraid I don't have an answer for the language question, perhaps others here do. I suspect it would be the same as a 1.67/Disc install though.

Whether full screen or windowed (with or without Windowed Borderless) performs better, is less prone to crashing and screen tears, looks better, is easier to play on are all really going to be dependent on the player as experiences will vary widely. All we can say for sure is that vertical sync doesn't work in either form of windowed mode, so the player does need to be sure that their frame rates (fps) are staying capped if they choose to play that way and are using a strong enough graphics card to require the capping.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    igazor wrote: »
    I have been running the Steam version of my game for years and it's fine. I've never heard anyone, who wasn't suffering from some other problem like a broken computer or had some other issue happening at the same time, claim that Steam is not a stable platform. I don't need to have Steam or the Launcher running to start the game, the Launcher bypass by way of a shortcut right the exe file for TS3w works just fine. Once the game is up and running, it's Patch 1.67 just like any other on that patch level. It's possible that TS3 doesn't like some of the Steam overlays very much but since I rarely start up Steam in the first place in order to play TS3, I'm not seeing those issues.

Thank you. Then,it could be from other broken mod issue. I have one more question. There's an easy way to change the language on origin on patch 1.69. Is there any easy way to change to other language in steam version? Sometimes, I enjoy playing in English version but sometimes, I miss my language too. :D
    Also which mode is better for running game between full screen mode and windowed mode? Which one causes less crashing?

You can change it in steam library

h207vq2819givddzg.jpg
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    @igzor, Ahh thanks. I better choose the full screen mode and fix the frame rate.
    @izecson wow! that's perfect. I can move onto the steam straightaway!!

Sorry but how do I add 'ts3w' into library? I"m in steam library now. There are Home, Collections and downloads.
    edited October 2020

Sorry but how do I add 'ts3w' into library? I"m in steam library now. There are Home, Collections and downloads.

I believe there is plus button in the bottom to add non steam game to library, I'm not at the computer atm so I can't check.

Anyway the option to Change language I gave in my earlier post is only if you have steam version of Sims 3, not a disc version added in a steam library
    ihavemultiplegamertags

I believe there is plus button in the bottom to add non steam game to library, I'm not at the computer atm so I can't check.

Anyway the option to Change language I gave in my earlier post is only if you have steam version of Sims 3, not a disc version added in a steam library

Thank you! I found it and running the game now. :D

edited October 2020
    @igazor

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/940931/sims-3-dark-screen-while-in-full-screen

Hi I'm having this same issue on bootcamp windows 10 on imac at the moment. The reason I switched to steam from origin is because of the slightly broken fonts in borderless gaming. But if I use this program in steam, then the fonts still will be broken as this issue is from the wrong ratio and resolution setting in the game option. My computer display resolution is 2560x1440. I'd like to set this in the game option, not the lower 1920x1080. Is there a way to make the main menu screen brighter in full screen mode? I tried the full screen mode without steam and the graphics is bright. I added ts3w to steam library. Should I get a new sims 3 base game to run this brighter on steam?

edited October 2020
    Afraid I really don't know, this is going to take some trial and error. I take it that your video card drivers (on Windows) are up to date with the appropriate ones for Bootcamp?

I think I would be back to Windowed Borderless though and trying different combinations of computer vs. game resolutions unless you have done that and by now run through every possible combination that makes sense and doesn't make the game look ridiculous or stretched out.

Edit: @puzzlezaddict also plays by way of Bootcamp and is on a Steam install, maybe she has some suggestions to share.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • ArchivistArchivist Posts: 4,375 Member
    I just downloaded Windowed Borderless Gaming and am playing around with it right now. Very cool!

I also see the issue with the choppy fonts. This is happening because the software is only filling the desktop space above your Windows taskbar. Since the taskbar is about 60-80 pixels tall, the game is only displaying at about 2480x1440, which is making the UI squish in funky ways.

If you still decide to use WBG but want to fix the fonts, you'll have to set the taskbar to auto-hide so that the game fills to the bottom edge of the screen, and also set WBG to always display the game at 2560x1440. Quick steps below:

1) Right-click the Windowed Borderless Gaming icon in your system tray, then click Game Settings. From the "Game" dropdown menu, make sure The Sims 3 is selected. Under Size & Offset, type in the resolution 2560x1440.

2) Right-click the taskbar, then click Taskbar settings, and turn on "Automatically hide the taskbar in desktop mode."

The downside is that your Windows taskbar will be in auto-hide mode, which not everyone likes. But the plus side is, the game and fonts should display properly. :)
    9d9hOnJ.png
    edited October 2020
    Archivist wrote: »
    I just downloaded Windowed Borderless Gaming and am playing around with it right now. Very cool!

I also see the issue with the choppy fonts. This is happening because the software is only filling the desktop space above your Windows taskbar. Since the taskbar is about 60-80 pixels tall, the game is only displaying at about 2480x1440, which is making the UI squish in funky ways.

If you still decide to use WBG but want to fix the fonts, you'll have to set the taskbar to auto-hide so that the game fills to the bottom edge of the screen, and also set WBG to always display the game at 2560x1440. Quick steps below:

1) Right-click the Windowed Borderless Gaming icon in your system tray, then click Game Settings. From the "Game" dropdown menu, make sure The Sims 3 is selected. Under Size & Offset, type in the resolution 2560x1440.

2) Right-click the taskbar, then click Taskbar settings, and turn on "Automatically hide the taskbar in desktop mode."

The downside is that your Windows taskbar will be in auto-hide mode, which not everyone likes. But the plus side is, the game and fonts should display properly. :)

10.jpg

Sorry but unable to insert TS3 here. How do I do this? I tried to fill this while game is running but no luck.

@igazor Thanks for caring. :blush:

Post edited by Jeansoo on
    edited October 2020
    @Jeansoo Hmmm, you may have to delete that settings profile and start a new one. Try these steps:

1) Make sure The Sims 3 is closed

2) In WBG's Game Settings, select The Sims 3 from the menu, click Delete at the bottom, then close the window by pressing Ok

3) Boot up The Sims 3 in windowed mode and let it load to the main menu screen

4) Right-click the WBG system tray icon and click "Add Window (F3)". If nothing happens right away, press F3 in The Sims 3 window. You should see the window border disappear and a notification in the bottom right of the screen saying the game was added to WBG.

5) When you go to WBG's Game Settings now, it should hopefully look like below. If so, you should be able to enter the resolution, then click Apply:

ltZvLZm.jpg
    9d9hOnJ.png
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited October 2020
    I agree that the messy text is the result of trying to squish 1440 pixels worth of resolution into a smaller window height, in order to be able to fit the Taskbar along the bottom of the screen. Instead of some more subtle scaling effect, the game basically deletes certain lines of pixels, and when one of those lines crosses some text, the result is what's in your screenshot. I see the same thing when I switch to windowed mode without changing the resolution first, on a Steam install.

If Windowed Borderless Gaming doesn't work for you, try editing options.ini to have the screen height you want. The file is in Documents\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3, and you're looking for a line that probably reads like this:

resolution = 2560 1440 0

If you change the 1440 to something like 1360, the height of the window will be shorter while the width stays the same, so you should be able to have a normally scaled game while still leaving room for the Taskbar. (It's a good idea to make a backup copy of this file before editing it, just in case the game doesn't react well to the change.)

I don't get dark screenshots in Bootcamp, although my Windows install is not exactly up to date. I've been meaning to take care of that for other reasons (maybe this weekend), so I can experiment a bit if it would help. What graphics card do you have? Mine is a Pro 560; I might have a different driver than you do, in which case the effects of fiddling with the options in the Radeon software might not be the same.
    edited October 2020
    @Archivist wow! Thanks I will follow your steps! :D
    @puzzlezaddict Ah...I read your posting on AHQ page first, so I got your idea just now. That's the best idea! thank you. I will try this first, the if it still doesn't work, then I can get the bigger display resolution on my computer. :) By the way, my graphics card is the exact same as yours. Radeon Pro 560. i7 7700 3.6Ghz, 16GB rams
    edited October 2020
    @Archivist

7.jpg

Is that normal that nothing happens when I click that check? I always had to type the sims 3 manually to add it.

@puzzlezaddict I tried your suggestion just now, and it got back to 1024 768 game resolution. The loading screen was quite small and cute. :smiley: I felt I was seeing the sims 1 loading size. :D
    Post edited by Jeansoo on
    Is that normal that nothing happens when I click that check? I always had to type the sims 3 manually to add it.
    Hmmm, no, you shouldn't have to type in the game name manually on that screen. If you click "Add window" in WBG and then press F3 in the TS3 window, WBG should automatically create a selection in Game Settings with the correct game name and other info (process/style/identifier).

I noticed the "Add window" feature of WBG is kind of wonky and doesn't always happen reliably. I had to try it several times before it did anything for me.
    9d9hOnJ.png
    edited October 2020
    Archivist wrote: »
    Hmmm, no, you shouldn't have to type in the game name manually on that screen. If you click "Add window" in WBG and then press F3 in the TS3 window, WBG should automatically create a selection in Game Settings with the correct game name and other info (process/style/identifier).

I noticed the "Add window" feature of WBG is kind of wonky and doesn't always happen reliably. I had to try it several times before it did anything for me.

It doesn't seem to work on my computer. I tried it over 10 times but it still doesn't recognize my sims 3 game. :( Should I delete the program and re install it again?

14.jpg

15.jpg

• KarritzKarritz Posts: 21,908 Member
    edited October 2020
    I play with full screen - if I want a screen shot without using the built in C key I do Alt Tab and it goes into Windows mode for the screen shot or most likely I just want to get a copy of a small part of the screen. I have Windows 10. I think it also works for Windows 7 and other versions between 7 and 10. After I've got the screen shot I revert to Full Screen again with another Alt Tab.