Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I'm tired of the "go there, eat this, drink this, explore this" packs (Snowy Escape)

Comments

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,708 Member
    somewhsome wrote: »
    I think there's good amount of gameplay, but again, one world only gameplay. Like Island Living.
    Personality overhaul is good, but if it's the only new thing that will impact all sims, that's a bit sad.

But with all the worlds interconnected, you can get to that world anytime you want. You don't even have to take vacation time -- just go for a day trip from your home in (WorldName) to Mt. Komorebi (I think I got the name right) for a hike or a day on the slopes. And if you have Parenthood you can even pack a sack lunch. B)

This is exactly how I approach Island Living. I don't have any playable sims there and mainly use it for day trips.
  • ListentoToppDoggListentoToppDogg Posts: 2,103 Member
    That seems to be the majority of packs these days. :/ It's like most of TS4 is just going on vacation (ironically with NO HOTELS). I'd really love to see a pack that expands the existing content of normal daily sim lives. Snowy escape looks like another pack that'll be "fun" for the first few days, then get boring once you've done all the snow activities and tried out the "new" features that are limited to the new world.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    That seems to be the majority of packs these days. :/ It's like most of TS4 is just going on vacation (ironically with NO HOTELS). I'd really love to see a pack that expands the existing content of normal daily sim lives. Snowy escape looks like another pack that'll be "fun" for the first few days, then get boring once you've done all the snow activities and tried out the "new" features that are limited to the new world.

Same here. I don't mind vacations but I always want an expansion pack that has more to do outside of vacationing. I will buy the pack on sale, but I'll probably only use the snow features a few times and will probably never use most of the build items as I'm not into Japanese architecture or decor. To me at least this pack will have a few useful items unlike the last one, which had absolutely nothing I would ever use.

But, I also don't think it's "expansion pack" worthy. It's very much more like a game pack to me.

And what exactly does "UNLOCK new personality and relationship effects"? So, does that mean it's goal oriented? Our sims will have to accomplish something in order to have these effects in the game?

• izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    @AncientMuse In 10 years you have visited this website 185 times. I just don’t understand how you can even be mad about “6 years of complaining” when you clearly don’t even come here that much.

@bellagoth_ has just over a year on their account and they have exceeded 500 visits. Seems fishy to be throwing around that hateful attitude with so little visits under your belt.

I have the "Ancient Membership: Nobody remembers a time when this person wasn’t a member here" achievement, but it says I've only visited the forums 302 times... which is complete BS. I generally don't shut down my computer, and there's almost always a tab open to the forums, so I highly doubt that number is accurate at all.

Just saying ;)

I always thought the visit was actually the number of times people visited your profile, because I have seen it increased in number to specific person profile when I open theirs.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • SageRainWillowSageRainWillow Posts: 2,221 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    @AncientMuse In 10 years you have visited this website 185 times. I just don’t understand how you can even be mad about “6 years of complaining” when you clearly don’t even come here that much.

@bellagoth_ has just over a year on their account and they have exceeded 500 visits. Seems fishy to be throwing around that hateful attitude with so little visits under your belt.

I have the "Ancient Membership: Nobody remembers a time when this person wasn’t a member here" achievement, but it says I've only visited the forums 302 times... which is complete BS. I generally don't shut down my computer, and there's almost always a tab open to the forums, so I highly doubt that number is accurate at all.

Just saying ;)

I always thought the visit was actually the number of times people visited your profile, because I have seen it increased in number to specific person profile when I open theirs.

Actually, I think that's probably more accurate.
    42959178421_482f6f6a5c_o.png

• somewhsomesomewhsome Posts: 910 Member
    somewhsome wrote: »
    I think there's good amount of gameplay, but again, one world only gameplay. Like Island Living.
    Personality overhaul is good, but if it's the only new thing that will impact all sims, that's a bit sad.

But with all the worlds interconnected, you can get to that world anytime you want. You don't even have to take vacation time -- just go for a day trip from your home in (WorldName) to Mt. Komorebi (I think I got the name right) for a hike or a day on the slopes. And if you have Parenthood you can even pack a sack lunch. B)

Yes, I know, but still it's a more a game pack thing, certain activities that I can do only at Mount Komorebi. I doubt we'll be able to snowboard anywhere else. I like when EPs brings systems that can be applied anywhere, like weather in Seasons or eco footprint in EL. We can even attend University from any neighborhood, first time in all Sims games, and I love it.
    Lifestyles and Sentiments, yes, they're kind of that thing... But they seem so random in this pack.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Daephene wrote: »
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    The entire Sims franchise is based on a POINT AND CLICK style of game play. From the very first Sims game, you choose a sim and pointed and clicked to move here, sit here, watch TV, read a book, cook a meal, eat that meal, clean up that meal, poo here, pee here, shower here, sleep here, etc. etc. etc.

The entire game is built on you commanding your sims via pointing and clicking. After twenty years of playing the same game the same way and now, wanting it to suddenly be different....well, good luck.

Where’s the linear non-changing checklists in Sims 1-3? In 4 that’s aspirations, whims, careers, parties, festivals, etc. Like they are always the same, no matter what save/Sim you play with .. always the same. People who can’t see the difference don’t need to be making arguments about them.

I mean, I didn't play Sims 3, but every single romance sim in Sims2 had the exact same series of wants. And every single family sim. The only thing that was ever different was the lifetime want. There are more aspirations in Sims 4 than there were lifetime wants in Sims2, so on the aspiration level I don't get this argument at all.

I like the parties and dates better in Sims4 also. Instead of requiring me to force a specific mood onto every sim present I can complete a number of steps to make the party successful and it isn't all trashed in five minutes because one member of the household decided to take a nap. And the dates do vary depending on venue and randomness. Now, there should be more negative outcomes, like an actual consequence for getting only a bronze or less. Then you could choose not to take the steps necessary and let your sims have the negative result. It's the memories that made sims different in Sims2, not the mechanics of the events.

We should also be able to encourage negative behaviors in children and pets, rather than only being able to discipline bad in both and reward good in children. It's obnoxious trying to raise a sim with their character values in the red and it should not be any harder than raising one with all in the green, and the parents should actually be able to cause it. I liked having the ability to make dysfunctional households in Sims 2.

The preferred hobby from Sims2 added an extra layer, which I would love to see again only if I can control it. I hate randomly generated stuff because I want to decide who my sims are. But if I can influence these new Lifestyles based on how I play the sim, then it would be a welcome addition.

Anyway, I like more activities for my sims to do. I don't want to just watch them go to work and come home and do chores and pay bills... I can do that in my own life. I want them to do things I'm never going to do, like become a famous actor or climb the highest mountain in the world. I can choose to have different households participate in different pack content, different hobbies, different decorations, different clothing styles, and they feel different enough for me. The additional of Lifestyles might mean that some of my gameplay choices make a difference to their autonomous behavior... that would be awesome but we'll see.

But I also agree with the original post that we should have player owned hotels. And I wish all of the business owning aspects of Open for Business were available, like hair salons and owned bars. It has been a while since we had a new mechanic by which we can set the tone in the vein of clubs or holidays, that isn't on a set path like the eco states of EL.

I think hotels will be there own pack
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I get where your coming from op this new pack was not on my list of wants but it looks nice
    and we don't know how much it will affect our sims every day life yet because we don't know what all of it does
    I still want more romance more danger and a family pack and many other things but I think this pack is coming out at the right time
    people need a little escape right now there is still hope for things we want
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • troshalomtroshalom Posts: 1,095 Member
    Hey @SimmerGeorge I purchased Cities Skylines, their EPs are $15 and I get them for around $5 so way cheaper than the Sims. But it scratches my build itch. I can build nature preserves and amusement parks and city parks.
    CS-Park03.png

If I want to get granular I can manage the supply chain of an industry (I don't so I didn't buy that pack). But I enjoy creating green cities - next city will be one full of pollution, because why not. And you can follow their Cims (not Sims, because it is spelled with a C) around. - Just throwing that out there as another game you can play to scratch that build itch. And they have an asset maker so you can create your own custom assets and plop them in the game.
    wocka wocka wockaWho gave that puppy asparagus?please do not send me private messages - they creep me out 🤢🤮😱
  • ChampandGirlieChampandGirlie Posts: 2,482 Member
    I actually really like cultural gameplay. This pack fits my playstyle pretty well. Of course I want more hobbies and activities. I'd also like more new animations, but there is gameplay in this pack for me. I was getting a little bored of just going to Selvadorada. I actually like Sulani though I'd like more flexibility to add to the world.

I want hotels but I don't think I'd want them to just be Japanese. I do like having the new Japanese world combining activities and culture.
    Champ and Girlie are dogs.
  • filipomelfilipomel Posts: 1,693 Member
    The only pack that I think lacked any form of creative tools is Island Living. Every other pack added some creative tool/feature that expanded my game, retail, clubs, lot traits, pets, holidays, fame/reputation, DU gave us options to create campus areas in other worlds, NAP’s/Eco Footprint.

Besides the new personality system this pack has (something that should really be in the base game), I agree it doesn’t look like there is any creative tools that allow me to mold my game in a way I would like. This is how I first felt about Eco Lifestyle but after learning more I fell in love with EL, the same might happen with this pack too, but I’m not holding my breath.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    filipomel wrote: »
    The only pack that I think lacked any form of creative tools is Island Living. Every other pack added some creative tool/feature that expanded my game, retail, clubs, lot traits, pets, holidays, fame/reputation, DU gave us options to create campus areas in other worlds, NAP’s/Eco Footprint.

@filipomel I do agree with several of those like retail, clubs, create a holiday. I just think that by 2020 we could be getting more especially when we had expansion packs in previous games that allowed for much more creativity, like the vacation packs from the last games.
    Same with Discover University. I wished it would have come with even more tools because creating a campus in other worlds is nice but to me it isn't very game chaning.
    The Eco Footprint was the one thing I was excited about yet it ended up being so limited when it came to industrial areas turning green all the time and also the things that had the most impact on the footprint were build and buy items which didn't necessaruly enhance gameplay much since Sims' actions didn't really impact the gameplay.

And then there are packs like City Living and Island Living which are so much about going to a place, exploring it, talking to locals, eating new foods. Those packs lacked tools to make a difference in gameplay and let us be more creative and I believe the new pack will be just like that. I will watch the livestream to confirm this but reading the description of the pack says it all to me.

Also the Lifestyles and Sentiment should either be strongly dependent on the pack or else I see that as an incerdibly greedy move from EA.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • PHOEBESMOM601PHOEBESMOM601 Posts: 14,595 Member
    The things said in this thread are the reason why when I want to play with a absolutely brilliant CAS I open TS4. (even though I still miss CAST) When I want to play and get lost in the game I open TS3.
    "People really love to explore 'failure states. In fact, the failure states are really much more interesting than the success states." ~ Will Wright
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    OP I think this is such an interesting thread in a good way. It highlights to me how we are all different in what we want in the game, as what you say in your post about the game and creativity is completely opposite to me. I actually like the go to places, eat new food, do new things, learn new skills etc. I am rubbish with creativity and always have been in previous sims games. I’ve always found it too much hassle in my game owing hotels, restaurants, shops etc and much prefer the mundane aspects of the game. However saying that I do think the game is lacking for those of you who are more the creative players and also those who like the drama and surprises in the game.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    I love his enthusiasm and his minute inspection of the trailer.....SimGuruNinja liked on Twitter
    It cheered me up a lot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHHq47UPkeM&feature=youtu.be
  • bevillebeville Posts: 1,151 Member
    I like when they add more variety of food and drinks to the game it's realistic to have more to choose from.
  • HayleeSimsHayleeSims Posts: 124 Member
    edited October 2020
    Your post reminds me on this vid from Carl's Sims Guide. I agree with your post OP, not everyone can take crumbs and turn it into a cake. I need more actual gameplay and interactions I want to see my sims do and feel more things and not just imagine it all in my head. Its wrong to blame people and say its their fault when it its actual the fault of the game for not being a true sandbox.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7WDDnET2Sh8
  • EA_JozEA_Joz Posts: 3,164 EA Staff (retired)
    Hey everyone! Remember to keep things friendly and constructive. There is no need to argue back and forth to the point that is starts to get personal. Please review our Posting Rules & Guidelines here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/forum-rules

~EA_Joz
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    Okay so the Snowy Escape part of this pack looks like a "go there, explore this, eat this, learn this skill" type of pack and I am really missing the sandbox element.
    The only kind of more creative thing we got has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the pack and if really is a bummer.
    Also hiking, snowboarding etc. are reserved for this specific world so I really don't see any freedom for creativity in other worlds.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Okay so the Snowy Escape part of this pack looks like a "go there, explore this, eat this, learn this skill" type of pack and I am really missing the sandbox element.
    The only kind of more creative thing we got has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the pack and if really is a bummer.
    Also hiking, snowboarding etc. are reserved for this specific world so I really don't see any freedom for creativity in other worlds.

I think it would have been nice if sims could pull other sims on a sled during normal winter season in other worlds. Same with hiking, especially since it involves also sightseeing, would should be able to place the hiking trail boards in Windeburg for example and have sims sightseeing there as well. Granite Falls could benefit from some mountain climbing too.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

I think it would have been nice if sims could pull other sims on a sled during normal winter season in other worlds. Same with hiking, especially since it involves also sightseeing, would should be able to place the hiking trail boards in Windeburg for example and have sims sightseeing there as well. Granite Falls could benefit from some mountain climbing too.

I agree. That's the first thing I'm counting on modders to do is liberate that trail sign so I can use in granite falls or other worlds when the visit as tourists.
    I'm not sure how they would add the snow activities to other worlds when we don't even have snow depth.
    Only thing I can think is if they tied it to a specific moutain as an object?
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I can only play vanilla so I'm very excited with the new Patch & Snowy Escape.
    But you can just play your mods & not update your game.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member

I agree. That's the first thing I'm counting on modders to do is liberate that trail sign so I can use in granite falls or other worlds when the visit as tourists.
    I'm not sure how they would add the snow activities to other worlds when we don't even have snow depth.

You don't need snow depth to pull a sled on flat terrain, just enough snow that the sled can slide on. I live in a city and in winter time it's usual for parents to pull their children, toddlers especially on a sled as a fun activity in a park, or even when they go shopping at the shop down the street.
    edited October 2020

You don't need snow depth to pull a sled on flat terrain, just enough snow that the sled can slide on. I live in a city and in winter time it's usual for parents to pull their children, toddlers especially on a sled as a fun activity in a park, or even when they go shopping at the shop down the street.

They seem to have added a bit of snow depth in the new pack, seeing the Sims trudging through the snow in the climbing of the mountain. I wish they could add it to the rest of the worlds we have already in the winter months. I also live in a city and have a huge park nearby with steep slopes and parents and kids use the same type of toboggan as the ones shown in the video. They get pulled there if the snow is deep enough.

More realism, as happens in our park, is when snowmen are built and dogs take their revenge on them! Now..... that could be put in if one has Cats and Dogs expansion as well!
    Has anybody been out in a snowy park at around midnight as I have when having to take the dog out for their last walk of the day? No houses in the way with lights on, hills some way away in front of you. You can see for miles as the snow makes everything visable and you feel very safe as you can see people at a great distance away. It's a magical sight and I wish the new pack could give the same feeling. We have victorian type lights on a path under the trees on the way back that make it look like Narnia. <3

(Just been told we have all got to go into a long lockdown again and trying to cheer myself up). :/