Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

It looks like Snowy Escapes is bringing a personality overhaul!

Comments

• bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    bellagoth_ wrote: »
    musteni wrote: »
    izecson wrote: »
    I guess that will come in a free update
    CK213 wrote: »
    I am very intrigued by this bit of the blog posting because it looks like we’re getting an overhaul to the personalities, finally!
    lpHXCxk.jpg

This would make me reinstall TS4.
    I am very intrigued by this.

you and me both

you two & me as well, but those changes better come in the pre patch.

"Define your lifestyle" is listed as one of the key features, so I seriously doubt that it would be patched in free. Personally I'm just really happy they're doing some personality improvements, will take these over hotels any day!

we don't know yet what it's about but if it's a personality overhaul it can very well be in the pre patch, as it should be. then if they want to adapt it to the ep go ahead. we shouldn't get used to devs hiding essential features under paywalls, or you rather wait till the day you have to pay to get pools in your game?

Unfortunately, if they're listing it as a feature of the pack, it is probably exclusive to that pack.
    Similar to how the Reputation feature in Get Famous and the Family Values in Parenthood were advertised.
    Patched in items are not advertised with the pack. Ladders were not advertised with Eco Lifestyle.
    Which is really *plum* :(
  • EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    The sticking point for stuff like this is the big picture of how it's handled, not just that they give it to us.

With some of the design logic and implementation decisions we see come to this game, the kind of logic they attach to these decisions will have significant impact upon our game. Couple that with the fact that the game is most often unsupported - what if it's really bad? What if it misfires? Would it ever get fixed or just ignored? Would it end up like NAPs, and turning off rain in Seasons, and so many things before?

It sounds like great news, but it's probably best to wait and see how it actually works out before getting too excited about it.
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    musteni wrote: »
    izecson wrote: »
    I guess that will come in a free update
    CK213 wrote: »
    I am very intrigued by this bit of the blog posting because it looks like we’re getting an overhaul to the personalities, finally!
    lpHXCxk.jpg

This would make me reinstall TS4.
    I am very intrigued by this.

you and me both

you two & me as well, but those changes better come in the pre patch.

"Define your lifestyle" is listed as one of the key features, so I seriously doubt that it would be patched in free. Personally I'm just really happy they're doing some personality improvements, will take these over hotels any day!

we don't know yet what it's about but if it's a personality overhaul it can very well be in the pre patch, as it should be. then if they want to adapt it to the ep go ahead. we shouldn't get used to devs hiding essential features under paywalls, or you rather wait till the day you have to pay to get pools in your game?

Unfortunately, if they're listing it as a feature of the pack, it is probably exclusive to that pack.
    Similar to how the Reputation feature in Get Famous and the Family Values in Parenthood were advertised.
    Patched in items are not advertised with the pack. Ladders were not advertised with Eco Lifestyle.
    Which is really *plum* :(

if it's something like the features in packs like parenthood or get famous then i won't care. they have no real impact on the gameplay
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    dude i'm getting confused with all the threads talking about the same
  • Wintermist_SWEWintermist_SWE Posts: 342 Member
    It has to be something deeper.

If it's just "If player pets dog then +1 to personality_doglover" it's not really a personality system, but more... pardon the pun, a dog training system. They will always become what we want them to become. So no, I reckon it has to be deeper than that and people innately get some kind of personality. (though probably can be turned off as an option and selected manually)
    You're Breathtaking!
  • JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    edited October 2020
    This is the first pack I’m excited about & I’ll be buying it so wether personality overhaul is tied to the EP or not doesn’t really matter to me. But I’m sure they will introduce something similar as pre patch.
  • Aquarius94Aquarius94 Posts: 505 Member
    Whelp, I guess I might have found my one thing to complain about with this pack.

While that is an awesome feature (even if it is very similar to a really good mod that already exists) It's kind of a **** move to put something like that behind a $40 pack, that not everyone might want, when better personalities are something simmers have been asking for from the start. So hopefully they're not completely tone deaf and this is a free update like ladders were for Eco Lifestyle.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    I suspect they may have been working with certain modders. Earlier this year, they talked about doing partnerships with the community that will influence packs, and someone in another thread pointed out Kawaii Stacie's 16 Personalities mod in Slice of Life that a lot of people praise. I think they might have utilized her system into the game because it's one of the more popular mods.

If this is the case, I have a very optimistic outlook for the game's future.
    #Team Occult
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    dude i'm getting confused with all the threads talking about the same

They should combine them, someone requested they do earlier in the thread.
  • LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    I’m just so thoroughly confused by this feature.

Why a personality update in a pack about a snowy Japanese mountain?

And to those arguing that the Sims 2 had personality updates in their expansions need to understand that personalities in that game were already well developed and that the Sims behaviors and relationships with other sims were better expressed than how they are in the Sims 4.

And now we might finally be getting what we’ve been asking for in the Sims 4 after 6 years in a snow resort pack...

I simply don’t understand.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • DrakosDrakos Posts: 451 Member
    edited October 2020
    I'd be surprised if it is base game since it's listed as part of the pack's features.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited October 2020
    I honestly hope this doesn't mean that if you want your mean Sims to actually be mean, and if you want your sims who are enemies not to have friendly chats after a fight, you have to pay $40. That should be base game. That should be a basic fix.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    This is actually the part of the pack that has me the most excited. I hope it will be as good as it sounds.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I REALLY hope they don't put an essential base game fix behind a $49 paywall.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    This is actually the part of the pack that has me the most excited. I hope it will be as good as it sounds.

The personality system does need vast improvements, but I'm hoping the basic framework is base game, with the ability to incorporate new things from EPs. Mean sims remaining in character should not be behind a paywall, in my opinion. If they have that fixed, then adding to it would be great.
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    edited October 2020
    I agree, if this new feature means what we are all hoping it means, than it should've been a free patch...

but Idk if such a thing as a "personality overhaul" can even happen, like a complete overhaul? I doubt it, that would mean a ton of work from the ground up I guess...so best scenario imho: these new features will improve/add personality in terms of autonomous behaviour but it won't be really big/deep and will mostly result in moodlets or/and slightly better/worse relationships.
    Maybe a few "new" interactions (will have different names but the same old animations).

I would love to be more exited about this, but my hopes are pretty low regarding improvement of personality at this point...
    doesn't mean I am not interested though.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• EnkiSchmidtEnkiSchmidt Posts: 5,334 Member
    Sounds good in theory, but if lifestyles manifest in response to ingame actions, in practise they might work like Get Famous' quirk system (aka too random). I never managed to legally get Juice Addiction for a sim for whom it would be in character and in the end resorted to cheats.
    Great for those players who want to get surprised, but if one goes in with an already defined personality for their sim, Lifestyles & Sentiments might end up as a mixed blessing. I'll give it a try, but hope for cheats for fine-tuning.
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    edited October 2020
    I'm very excited for this, as I've been suggesting on the forums over and over that the actions we choose for our Sims should reflect and cultivate in their personalities, interests, and habits. I wish I could say it were more often, but the developers do listen. I really hope they'll continue to do so in a greater capacity. Some fans really do have amazing ideas for this game, and honestly, Maxis is not Apple and the smartphone. Maxis' track record has shown they are not particularly good at telling fans what they want before they realize they want something.

And I'm still in no hurry to reinstall the game, purchase this pack, and play again. 2020 was an awful year for The Sims. A trainwreck, IMHO. I held little trust in Maxis before this year, and after things like Eco-Living, a mammoth-sized list of universal bugs impacting daily gameplay, and Journey to Batuu, there is even less trust I hold in Maxis. And, so far, I am not convinced this pack is $40 good. Maybe $20, at best.
  • Bearpal64Bearpal64 Posts: 1,117 Member
    My guess is it will be added into base game like other side features.

Get to Work - Photography
    Get Together - Groups
    Seasons - Gardening Overhaul
    Island Living - Swimming Overhaul, Float on back and lounge chairs
    Eco Lifestyle - Ladders.

It seems rather interesting that this expanding feature would be solely tired to the EP. I hope I'm wrong.
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    Sounds good in theory, but if lifestyles manifest in response to ingame actions, in practise they might work like Get Famous' quirk system (aka too random). I never managed to legally get Juice Addiction for a sim for whom it would be in character and in the end resorted to cheats.
    Great for those players who want to get surprised, but if one goes in with an already defined personality for their sim, Lifestyles & Sentiments might end up as a mixed blessing. I'll give it a try, but hope for cheats for fine-tuning.

I hope it doesn't work like the GF quirks, but it might be a similar mechanic?
    guess I gotta try this out with a sim I do not care about before my important sims get ruined by it...you never know...
    pretty sure cheats will be available though, that's one thing you can pretty much count on.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited October 2020

Yeah the quirks are awful. Look in the mirror twice in a week or take a selfie once: "Self absorbed mirror addict!". Hugs your will be girlfriend twice in a week: "No touching!". Drinks 100000000000 drinks in two hours: "Nah, not juice addicted... you get Mirror Addict again!".
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Aeroprincess87Aeroprincess87 Posts: 6,414 Member
    The system itself will probably be patched into the base game with the sentiments thing and like 1 or 2 different "lifestyles". I'm gonna guess all 16 will not be available right away. Or it could just be in the pack the same way the extra traits based on how a sim is raised by their caregivers is only in Parenthood.
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    It sounds super exciting, but at the same time the description was so shallow that I feel its misleading us to believe this is something that its not what we're thinking.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    edited October 2020
    What exactly does "UNLOCK new personality and relationship effects" mean? So, does that mean it's goal oriented? Our sims will have to accomplish something in order to have these effects in the game? (I know I've asked this in each thread regarding the Lifestyles and Sentiments threads, inquiring minds wanna know :P)