Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Snowy Escape - Cool little details ^^

Comments

• BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    LiELF wrote: »
    LiELF wrote: »
    I always feel a bit uncomfortable using the clothing that is from a culture other than my own. I don't want to appropriate and I don't feel I know enough about a lot of cultures to play a realistic family without that feeling of playing to a stereotype. I'd be curious to know how others feel about this.

I definitely understand and respect that. I just think that if things are done in a respectful way, there's no problem. I would feel ok about using japanese-inspired items in The Sims first of all, because I have a great respect and admiration for their culture and second, because considering The Sims is a game (and not a very detailed one), no culture could be 100% portrayed, so the gameplay can never be perfectly accurate, even for a Japanese.

But I am indeed againts stereotypes and I understand that is a risk. I've never even touched the Islamic and Hanukkah items, because I know absolutely nothing about these religions/cultures. But with Japan, I feel like I can play a reasonably accurate family with the knowledge I have from watching lots of japanese movies and animes.

But that's great that you brought that up. I would love to hear how a Japanese feels about it.

I wont speak for Japanese as I am not one but just from my experience interacting with a lot of east asians in real life (my best friends are from Vietnam and China) and in regarding sims, I interacted with many in the sims community though often times we had to use translators.

From my experience they are so "chill" cannot think of a more fitting word because that describes it exactly. I notice it's mainly americans more than others who seem to get so bent out of shape over culture, race and representation.
    The chill asians are literally in their own world. I've been to their asian exclusive site where I got all my Chinese cc from and they make their own authentic asian cc they share with eachother and just have fun with the game. They don't rage and roar over every little thing. And we have had some nice discussions.

They make the coolest stuff btw I even have a aquazip that looks like a 3 headed dragon from them lol.

And to be honest I don't think this is a big deal for them. I think most of them will absolutely love it, some may not and some would be neutral.

You're so right, Americans are always crazy outraged on behalf of other cultures, lol. It's so embarrassing. I'm from the Northeast U.S. and I see it every day. People need to learn to listen more, get a grip, shut their traps, and mind their own backyard. That's right, I said it. Other Americans can fight me. :p

But that Chinese CC sounds awesome! I've gotten content from a couple of Asian sites and it's always really detailed and creative. <3

I have said it before when talking about European cultures; my experience is that most Americans see everything in black and white. They don't get that Polish, Estonian and Albanian cultures are different despite being "white" while at the same time get super annoyed when New Zeeland natives actually aren't "black enough" yet identify as "black" (confusing "black" with African American). And so on (actual twitter convo I've had a few times when someone attacks a person from NZ with "black" in their twitter bio) or attacking the Harry Potter movies for not being racially diverse enough (despite having a rather fair amount of POC compared to what Britain actually has which is NOT the same percentages as America).

It's mostly ignorance (and some arrogance). We don't even make it mandatory to learn a second language. I think the US could use some brushing up in the education system. The U.S. is like the youngest sibling who thinks it knows everything but in truth knows very little about hardly anything but likes to scream about it anyway. :D

Not derailing completely but part of it is I think that back in the day (19th century or earlier) the "melting pot" mostly worked. At least outside the very large cities on the coasts. In the "heartland", the west, the south and the north all Europeans melted together and the other large group... well, it is kind of self explanatory if you know history. Basically it literally became a black and white world view, let's leave it at that.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • DannydanboDannydanbo Posts: 18,057 Member
    lexus20 wrote: »
    There's a new wall shower (at 0:45) that looks more modern than the DU one and also a new modern fireplace (at 1:07).

EDIT: Also I just noticed there is something that seems to be a heater at 1:07 as well.

There are two new fireplaces that I saw in the trailer. The one in the bathhouse where the kids is warming himself and one in the house near the new dining table.

I do wonder why you need a heater near a fireplace though, but I'm still glad to have it, if it is a working heater.

I like the new shower. It will be added to many builds. I like the wall bottle holder too and the new mural shower tiles. I can't tel if that sink in the bathroom is new or not and they don't show a toilet. With the Japanese theme, I would think that the toilet would be another talking toilet.

There are so many things I liked in the trailer that I hope the live up to my expectation or at least close to it.
    Dannydanbo wrote: »
    There's a new wall shower (at 0:45) that looks more modern than the DU one and also a new modern fireplace (at 1:07).

EDIT: Also I just noticed there is something that seems to be a heater at 1:07 as well.

There are two new fireplaces that I saw in the trailer. The one in the bathhouse where the kids is warming himself and one in the house near the new dining table.

I do wonder why you need a heater near a fireplace though, but I'm still glad to have it, if it is a working heater.

I like the new shower. It will be added to many builds. I like the wall bottle holder too and the new mural shower tiles. I can't tel if that sink in the bathroom is new or not and they don't show a toilet. With the Japanese theme, I would think that the toilet would be another talking toilet.

There are so many things I liked in the trailer that I hope the live up to my expectation or at least close to it.

Unfortunately you can't use fireplaces if you have EL...
  • rinre33rinre33 Posts: 697 Member
    One of the new little details which I am very excited about is the ability to take off shoes when entering a house! It's a small detail that makes me happy
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,552 Member
    > @WallSims4ever said:
    > Gimme kimonos and getas please! And lots of japanese recipes!

I always feel a bit uncomfortable using the clothing that is from a culture other than my own. I don't want to appropriate and I don't feel I know enough about a lot of cultures to play a realistic family without that feeling of playing to a stereotype. I'd be curious to know how others feel about this.

First off, I'm not P.C. I abhor the notion of it. It's not appropriating a culture, I see it more as honoring a culture. If you are going to have your Sims live in that world, they may choose to dress like their new neighbors to better fit in. What's to know about a culture? Most humans are more alike than we realize. Families are families, the parents are generally in charge of the children. Just play your Sims the way you want. Don't put such onerous sentiments upon yourself. You can always do a quick search to learn more about the culture if that would make you feel better. Gosh when I was a kid we dressed up in whatever costume we fancied for Halloween. There was no such chatter about appropriating a culture.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member
    I'm actually really glad that the idea of "cultural appropriation" was brought up, because I too often worry about that. And big time at that. As much as I would love to include more diverse Sims, since the real world is so diverse, I often find myself not going through with it, due to not wanting to portray a certain culture "wrong" or being accused of being an "ignorant white girl"

And well, I never wanted to bring this up, because I didn't want to be accused of being a racist. Especially since my intention not going through with creating the diverse Sims was out of respect and not wanting to make a parody of a certain culture by accident.
  • TamakiSakura84TamakiSakura84 Posts: 543 Member
    edited October 2020
    And well, I never wanted to bring this up, because I didn't want to be accused of being a racist. Especially since my intention not going through with creating the diverse Sims was out of respect and not wanting to make a parody of a certain culture by accident.

I think the important thing is that you try not to stereotype, and adjust if you accidentally do something offensive. Don't feel limited to making Sims who are exactly like you.
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    edited October 2020

I definitely understand and respect that. I just think that if things are done in a respectful way, there's no problem. I would feel ok about using japanese-inspired items in The Sims first of all, because I have a great respect and admiration for their culture and second, because considering The Sims is a game (and not a very detailed one), no culture could be 100% portrayed, so the gameplay can never be perfectly accurate, even for a Japanese.

But I am indeed againts stereotypes and I understand that is a risk. I've never even touched the Islamic and Hanukkah items, because I know absolutely nothing about these religions/cultures. But with Japan, I feel like I can play a reasonably accurate family with the knowledge I have from watching lots of japanese movies and animes.

But that's great that you brought that up. I would love to hear how a Japanese feels about it.

I wont speak for Japanese as I am not one but just from my experience interacting with a lot of east asians in real life (my best friends are from Vietnam and China) and in regarding sims, I interacted with many in the sims community though often times we had to use translators.

From my experience they are so "chill" cannot think of a more fitting word because that describes it exactly. I notice it's mainly americans more than others who seem to get so bent out of shape over culture, race and representation.
    The chill asians are literally in their own world. I've been to their asian exclusive site where I got all my Chinese cc from and they make their own authentic asian cc they share with eachother and just have fun with the game. They don't rage and roar over every little thing. And we have had some nice discussions.

They make the coolest stuff btw I even have a aquazip that looks like a 3 headed dragon from them lol.

And to be honest I don't think this is a big deal for them. I think most of them will absolutely love it, some may not and some would be neutral.

My aunt is from Japan and she always would bring back kimonos for my siblings and me when we were little to dress up in. She loved seeing us in their traditional clothes and taking pictures. She was never offended by anyone taking an interest in her culture and actually loved it when people would ask her questions or want to dress up like her. I remember when I was little and looking through her family photo album and loving all their pretty kimonos. I obviously can't speak for everyone but my aunt and the friends she had here in America always loved bringing us back gifts from Japan.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
    Cultural Appropriation is too precious to even care about. It's your game. Who else will see it? Do whatever you want to do with your sims and any of the cultures. You're allowed. You paid good money to play your way. I don't care if someone who's Spanish or Asian or whatever makes all white people in their game look silly or disturbing. It's not my business how they play. Go for it. I'm not going to NOT create Asians because I might get their eyes wrong. Their my sims. As long as I am happy with how they turned out, then it's all good. I'm looking forward to creating a few Asians for this pack. How else will I learn what works and what doesn't if I don't at least try. IMO, being too afraid to try would be more of an insult than trying and getting it wrong. But that's just me. You all might feel differently.
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,395 Member
    The blog mentions this pack is adding koi and ponds.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    The blog mentions this pack is adding koi and ponds.

I don't have any hope that we will get real ponds, maybe another pond like we got with Get famous. Would be nice if the koi fish were like collectibles so we get different colours and sizes in the pond.
  • j1z1j1z1 Posts: 311 Member
    edited October 2020
    > @WallSims4ever said:

That's cool that you want to be respectful. You can always do some research before sharing in the gallery anything you might not be that familiar with. But don't worry so much about messing up when creating the world for your own game. It's not like you're making money off of it or ridiculing anyone or feeding into harmful stereotypes like a bad TV producer or a clueless fashion brand. You'll be hardly perpetuating this kind of thing by not being super accurate in your saves. And you can also download sims made by players with those actual backgrounds. It's what I do because I like my saves multicultural but ofc I'm never going to get most cultures even remotely right lol. I'm actually itching to tour the gallery after this pack comes out and then try my hand at building with it, see how I do.

Edit: I almost forgot what I was going to post lol I'm super excited for the tables.
  • amber_ilumireamber_ilumire Posts: 1,714 Member
    I’m in love with the little daruma doll you can see in the background in the bar/izakaya scene of the trailer.
  • ValeahValeah Posts: 98 Member
    I noticed that, in the background of several shots, there were teens (both male and female) in school uniforms.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    > @WallSims4ever said:

I feel that it's a game.
  • MeowchaFrappeMeowchaFrappe Posts: 840 Member

I think the important thing is that you try not to stereotype, and adjust if you accidentally do something offensive. Don't feel limited to making Sims who are exactly like you.

Thank you so much for saying this. It honestly really helps.

I think a lot of my problem is, I'm so used to the American mindset and people getting mad and going off on someone when they get just even one little thing wrong about a certain race or culture, or include one minor personality trait or a quirk to a character that fits a stereotype that I often forget other cultures are a little more lax when it comes to portrayals of their culture.

My dad has visited Japan, so he knows a little bit about the culture, but not really enough to really be an expert or anything.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    In the shower room in the trailer next to the new showers are new soap dispensers which look very nice. Such a tiny detail I know.
    I don't think, considering how PC Maxis/EA is, that they would put anything into the game that we could even use to be disrespectful with. A very few facial features and hair styles and outfits are hardly appropriating an entire culture. People need to chill out and just enjoy the game and stop trying to make issues where none exist.
  • Hearts4uHearts4u Posts: 1,775 Member
    edited October 2020
    I hope this is a backpack on this little cute girl. I would love for my toddlers to have little packs on there backs.
    Possible-backpack.jpg

Nice that we are getting fannie backpacks.
    fannie-pack.jpg

Origin ID: littlebonnieblue
    There are waterfalls coming off the rocks in the Hot Springs. It's hard to tell by looking at this picture but I saw them.
  • CelSimsCelSims Posts: 2,270 Member

News to me, Im using sometimes multiple in every house. What's the issue?
    CelSims wrote: »

Probably a bug or prehaps an issue caused by mods.
    My fireplaces work just fine. And my sims love to light them so I always have the fire alarm near each one and a water tank outside. Those little pyromaniacs. >:)
  • MoonSimmer1MoonSimmer1 Posts: 24 Member
    I really really hope that we will be able to use the cable cars and the train. That would be amazing! Also I really like how the house indoor looks like. It seems pretty cozy. The japanese food looks delicious too. 😇💙
    CelSims wrote: »

They WORK, but they really quickly make the lot Industrial.