Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 3 Things you didn't know!

Comments

• izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited October 2020
    It still amazes me how much detail they put into this game and I still find a new thing!
    • I only recently aware that you can learn a song from egyptian, chinese or french sims, and your sims will autonomously sing the song when they are playing with toys, taking a bath or shower and even fishing and they also use a singing animation when doing those interactions
    • I also happen to notice that cowards sim have different reaction and animation when using specific object compared to non coward sims, like waterslide they would freakout and rethink about their decision before decided to slide into the pool while screaming.
    • Coward sims tend to also take pillow fighting into a serious issue.
    • When sims making stupid decisions(eg blowing multiple junkpiles causing a mini nuke that also singed them) they would scream in anger with their portrait crossed in their speech bubbles.
    • Adult sims would also react (either cheering, following the kids voice, or bowing) when seeing kids presiding over royal court
    • Over emotional sims would sobs when they scoop out dead fish.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited October 2020
    I didn't know until recently that an elder sim with a cane could "harass world," which is kind of perfect.

I mentioned this to my dad, who uses a cane, and he thought it was hilarious, and also wondered if that meant he was allowed to do it too.

My real life nephew is 20 now (man, I feel old) and has been doing that and shaking his fist at those rotten kids to get off his lawn ever since he was 12. He thinks it's hilarious too. :)

You can also "give a sim what for," as opposed to fighting with them, but that requires the Proper trait and not age. (from Supernatural, I think)
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,404 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    It still amazes me how much detail they put into this game and I still find a new thing!
    • I only recently aware that you can learn a song from egyptian, chinese or french sims, and your sims will autonomously sing the song when they are playing with toys, taking a bath or shower and even fishing and they also use a singing animation when doing those interactions

If you're not careful, the sim will also sing while cooking dinner...which can lead to some very interesting situations...if he's an absent-minded sim...involving the local fire department.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • IreneSwiftIreneSwift Posts: 6,247 Member
    igazor wrote: »
    I didn't know until recently that an elder sim with a cane could "harass world," which is kind of perfect.

I mentioned this to my dad, who uses a cane, and he thought it was hilarious, and also wondered if that meant he was allowed to do it too.

My real life nephew is 20 now (man, I feel old) and has been doing that and shaking his fist at those rotten kids to get off his lawn ever since he was 12. He thinks it's hilarious too. :)

You can also "give a sim what for," as opposed to fighting with them, but that requires the Proper trait and not age. (from Supernatural, I think)

You feel old because you have a nephew who is 20?! I have a granddaughter who is 20! But I don't feel old because of her. I feel old for totally unrelated reasons.
  • puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    edited October 2020
    I don't have any nieces or nephews (yet), and I've felt old for at least a decade.

I hope at least once, you pinched his cheek and told him how adorable he was, just to drive home the point. A grumpy preteen muttering about those darn kids is wonderful, like a kitten puffing up and hissing in response to being scolded.

I didn't know that either, but now I'm definitely trying it. The little details in this game are so great.
  • JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    I discovered the snake in Egypt might be created by teddy bear, not sure..LOL I was taking a video to introduce the snake charming skill in the sims 3 last night and the teddy came up instead of .. I thought I saw a hallucination.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6nTTA0lkHMw

edited October 2020
    IreneSwift wrote: »

You feel old because you have a nephew who is 20?! I have a granddaughter who is 20! But I don't feel old because of her. I feel old for totally unrelated reasons.
    Ha, no! I feel old because that nephew and his twin sister are 20, it seems like they were 7 or 8 only just a short while ago and now they are the ones picking me up at the airport when I come for a visit, etc. (when it was safer to travel)
    ...I hope at least once, you pinched his cheek and told him how adorable he was, just to drive home the point. A grumpy preteen muttering about those darn kids is wonderful, like a kitten puffing up and hissing in response to being scolded.
    You're not helping. :angry::p

And no, I didn't feel old enough to be doing that even in jest back then. And I don't now, but since he's 20 it might have some redeeming comedic effect now that I think about it. Patting him on the head (does that animation exist in the game?) might be a safer way to go, though.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • TinySpaceFoxTinySpaceFox Posts: 1,110 Member
    If your Sim has just received a promotion, and they meet their boss outside of work, there is an interaction called "Thank for Promotion". It raises your Sim's relationship with their boss.
    02Inhxg.jpg
    And no, I didn't feel old enough to be doing that even in jest back then. And I don't now, but since he's 20 it might have some redeeming comedic effect now that I think about it. Patting him on the head (does that animation exist in the game?) might be a safer way to go, though.

Sims pat toddlers on the head when teaching them to walk, but somehow I don't think that's what you're going for. Maybe your nephew would appreciate the claw instead? Although it might be difficult to hold him in the crook of your arm.

Back on topic, and speaking of antiquated behavior, I happened to see a friendly interaction for my sim to ask his future father-in-law for his daughter's hand in marriage, so I had to try it to see. Dad approved and was delighted to be asked, even though the "kids" were already engaged, and now they both have a positive moodlet for receiving the blessing (I think +20), one that's apparently going to last 10 days.

It makes me wonder though what happens if Dad says no.
  • emorrillemorrill Posts: 8,110 Member
    @TinySpaceFox Oh yeah, I'd forgotten about that! :grin:

Adorable thankful look on Martin's face there. <3
    52607642900_bbbac3a314_c.jpg
    edited October 2020
    ...I happened to see a friendly interaction for my sim to ask his future father-in-law for his daughter's hand in marriage, so I had to try it to see. Dad approved and was delighted to be asked, even though the "kids" were already engaged, and now they both have a positive moodlet for receiving the blessing (I think +20), one that's apparently going to last 10 days.

It makes me wonder though what happens if Dad says no.

It's pretty rare for that ask for blessing interaction to show up if the social relationship between sim and future parent-in-law isn't high enough already for it to be accepted. Or maybe it's just the way I play as usually my sims get to know and like their future in-laws, given the chance, and if they really dislike each other they aren't going to ask anyway. But here are what I imagine the negative reactions might be (with apologies to those who have read this before):

1 - You want my son/daughter's what?! What's the matter, isn't the rest of them good enough for you? :rage:

2 - Sure you can, when unicorns fly, Al Simhara freezes over, and EA makes a game that has no bugs in it. Run along now. :p

3 - I have a son/daughter? :o
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • JeansooJeansoo Posts: 3,606 Member
    edited October 2020
    If your Sim has just received a promotion, and they meet their boss outside of work, there is an interaction called "Thank for Promotion". It raises your Sim's relationship with their boss.
    02Inhxg.jpg

In my game, I was playing Bianca Monty in Monte Vista. Her father is a doctor, and she got medicine career too. Her father became her boss at work. :D I've experienced very easy career life with her. No vaccination event, No free clinic event, No emergency event either. Only visiting other lots for medical job, then the job performance bar was fully filled until she promoted up to trauma surgeon. She got promoted once a day. It was the easiest medical job I've ever had. And she said to her father,'thanks for the promotion' LOL

Never thought it was possible to have fish in a player created pond without using buydebug cheats, but it's possible to stock the pond with fish if I have at least 10 of the same type of fish in my inventory.

Gonna catch 10 deathfish so i can have unlimited supply in my backyard pond.

Also putting the same type of fish in aquarium will allow them to reproduce.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    edited October 2020
    Never thought it was possible to have fish in a player created pond without using buydebug cheats, but it's possible to stock the pond with fish if I have at least 10 of the same type of fish in my inventory.

My current sim has seahorses in her aquarium, and she's raising them to sell. I am giving them all names so when the tank gets full, I will know which ones are the oldest and can sell them before they die. It's a good way to make some extra money with very little effort, and seahorses are very valuable. They sell for more than $1000 each. You could raise deathfish in the aquarium to sell too, though you can't get as many or as often as fishing for them. But my sim can't fish for seahorses, and no longer lives in IP where she worked as a professional scuba diver.
    Post edited by IreneSwift on
    IreneSwift wrote: »

My current sim has seahorses in her aquarium, and she's raising them to sell. I am giving them all names so when the tank gets full, I will know which ones are the oldest and can sell them before they die. It's a good way to make some extra money with very little effort, and seahorses are very valuable. They sell for more than $1000 each. You could raise deathfish in the aquarium to sell too, though you can't get as many or as often as fishing for them. But my sim can' fish for seahorses, and no longer lives in IP where she worked as a professional scuba diver.

Good to know! I may have to plan a trip to Isla Paradiso again to get the seahorse and it's been 140 sim days since the last time my sim went there, if it really help me get some easy cash because atm my household is struggling with bills, it's a whopping 15.000 simoleons a week due to tax, child support and higher bill mod i have installed.

I used to have tank full of anemones and other IP sea creatures but they died after I forgot to feed them once.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • MamaSimTeeMamaSimTee Posts: 963 Member
    @TinySpaceFox and @IreneSwift Thanks for those tips! I never knew that about the seahorses or the boss!

<insert inspiring comment here> :)
  • rubyskywalkerrubyskywalker Posts: 1,174 Member
    Anyone know what spawner spawns seahorses? I have sims in beach city and one wno scuba dives (soon going to become a mermaid once she has enough LHP to get the kelp.) and would like to try the seahorse raising.
    Origin ID and TS3 Username: DollyGizzy
    Hoping to complete the Brunch at the Old Mill set for CYS. 16 items left.
    My Sims 3 Store Wishlist: https://store.thesims3.com/myWishlist.html?persona=DollyGizzy
    My TS3 Blog: https://rubysasimslife.blogspot.com
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I didn’t know that sims could pass out from boring conversations. I was laughing so much when it just happened in my game. :D
  • muckleberrimuckleberri Posts: 65 Member
    > @rubyskywalker said:
    > Anyone know what spawner spawns seahorses? I have sims in beach city and one wno scuba dives (soon going to become a mermaid once she has enough LHP to get the kelp.) and would like to try the seahorse raising.

@rubyskywalker The seahorse is one of the rarest spawns from the undersea fish spawners that came with IP, so you'd probably just have to keep checking back to see if it's there. It took me several sim-days of diving before I got one.

For me, one of my favorite small interactions in TS3 that I hadn't noticed before is when the toddler is riding the spring-rider and the parent tries to pick them up to go home, sometimes the toddler will cross their arms and make a cute little grumpy face, like they don't want to stop playing at the playground. I don't know why it took me so many years to catch it!
    dyWDPqV.png
    now playing: the early legacy (ts3 alphabetacy)
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I didn’t know that sims could pass out from boring conversations. I was laughing so much when it just happened in my game. :D

Lol i remember back then I was playing sims with no sense of humor trait, when some sims behaviours annoys me or guest acting rudes, i use funny/joke interaction on them and they will pass out.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    > @rubyskywalker said:
    @rubyskywalker The seahorse is one of the rarest spawns from the undersea fish spawners that came with IP, so you'd probably just have to keep checking back to see if it's there. It took me several sim-days of diving before I got one.

This is so true. My sim dived daily at Pearl's Deep, the only dive lot that has seahorses, for at least 2 sim weeks before she got her first seahorse. It was probably another week or more before she got her second one.
  • RedDestiny92RedDestiny92 Posts: 7,819 Member
    Don't know why I never tried it but I didn't know I could just reset a sim out of being accused of cheating, now I rescue my "friendly" sims from the family friendly sims lol.
    Reddestiny921 on the gallery...still not sure if I capitalized the second d..lol
    All the sims err'day
    PmyCqgA.png
    It's pretty rare for that ask for blessing interaction to show up if the social relationship between sim and future parent-in-law isn't high enough already for it to be accepted. Or maybe it's just the way I play as usually my sims get to know and like their future in-laws, given the chance, and if they really dislike each other they aren't going to ask anyway. But here are what I imagine the negative reactions might be (with apologies to those who have read this before):

1 - You want my son/daughter's what?! What's the matter, isn't the rest of them good enough for you? :rage:

2 - Sure you can, when unicorns fly, Al Simhara freezes over, and EA makes a game that has no bugs in it. Run along now. :p

All of those would be great, but to be honest, I was hoping for something more like a combination of the inappropriate guest reaction and the option to "give a sim the what for" you described earlier. I can almost see the dad brandishing his cane at the would-be suitor and chasing the poor kid off his property. And if Dad got a "kids these days" moodlet, it would be just about perfect.
    edited October 2020

All of those would be great, but to be honest, I was hoping for something more like a combination of the inappropriate guest reaction and the option to "give a sim the what for" you described earlier. I can almost see the dad brandishing his cane at the would-be suitor and chasing the poor kid off his property. And if Dad got a "kids these days" moodlet, it would be just about perfect.

Fair enough, but then we would need a balanced reaction from the son/daughter.

"Dad, I did choose to keep living here (if this is the case) after becoming a YA, and do agree to abide by the house rules while doing so. But it's important for you to know that I am indeed an adult now, in charge of my own life, and you have prepared me well to make my own life decisions. My soon to be fiance wasn't really asking for permission, they were honoring a centuries old tradition by appearing to do so as a means of paying you respect based on...wait. Is that a chocolate fountain on the counter?!" (runs over to it and completely forgets what just happened and what the conversation was supposed to be about) :)
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    LOL! And yeah, chocolate does seem to reset a lot of negative feelings, both for pixel people and the rest of us.

I wonder if a bottle or two of expensive nectar from the hopeful fiance would improve the chances of getting Dad's approval. I mean, getting the dad to drink it before asking. It's probably not as effective as in real life though.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file
Return to top