Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

What am I doing wrong?? Washing machine!

Comments

• pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    My sims just drop the laundry like they do plates and then I have to tell them many times to pick it up before they actually do as I say.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • catloverplayercatloverplayer Posts: 93,362 Member
    My sims just drop the laundry like they do plates and then I have to tell them many times to pick it up before they actually do as I say.

Do they have the sloppy trait?
  • MegamiNyxMegamiNyx Posts: 24 Member
    The same just started happening to me. I moved my Laundry room to the basement and just used a premade room from the community. After I did that when I click on the washer and dryer I can only upgrade it. No opinion to add clothes. I deleted the machine and brought new. I also moved the laundry baskets. T_T
  • MegamiNyxMegamiNyx Posts: 24 Member
    I actually just figured my issue. The machines are not usable when next to a counter for whatever reason. They should fix this issue.
  • lele62lele62 Posts: 157 Member
    boopish wrote: »
    Hey guys, I had a shelf above my washing machine and removing that shelf somehow allowed me to use the washing machine.

I had that problem too. You can have it above the washing machine, but it has to be kind of high up. You need LOTS of space above the washer. (Shrugs)
  • SimLarkSimLark Posts: 143 Member
    Had the same issue.
    I am not an English native speaker, so excuse my French :)
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    happyopi wrote: »
    Another fix is simple enough, place the washer/dryer with alt further from the wall so that the back of it is not inside the wall.

This still works though you have to move it further since a previous patch (before the jungle one).
  • VenessaVeeVenessaVee Posts: 187 Member
    Would anyone be able to help my issue? I have no mods, just bought the add on pack and can't use the washer. I've tried placing it outdoors, away from shelves from what I read in the past comments however nothing works. When I click the washer it just gives me the option to upgrade.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    VenessaVee wrote: »
    Would anyone be able to help my issue? I have no mods, just bought the add on pack and can't use the washer. I've tried placing it outdoors, away from shelves from what I read in the past comments however nothing works. When I click the washer it just gives me the option to upgrade.

Hello @VenessaVee
    Try selling the washer and buying a new one and see if that helps
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Towers work for me 100% of the time.
    If I have machines standing side by side, sooner or later the washer glitches out and you can't use it anymore.
    My suspicion is that having the dryer on top "clears the area".

Also, I find it very irritating that whoever designed the machines did them too big. There is ZERO reason why they clip an "sim inch" into the wall when standing next to a wall. That's just lazy design.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • SimGuruGrahamSimGuruGraham Posts: 1,188 SimGuru

Hi - maybe a silly question, but do you actually have dirty laundry on your lot? You click on the dirty laundry to wash it, not on the washing machine.
    Also, I find it very irritating that whoever designed the machines did them too big. There is ZERO reason why they clip an "sim inch" into the wall when standing next to a wall. That's just lazy design.

This is actually intentional, in fact it occurs with a bunch of objects in-game. If we want an object to seamlessly tile with another object placed adjacent to it (aka, no gap or space between the two objects), then that object has to be built to go all the way to the edge of the tile that it's placed on. Because our walls have a thickness to them, when you place objects that function this way next to a wall, they slightly clip into the wall. We tend to ensure that nothing important is hidden inside the wall when this occurs. (The light panel on the washer/dryer for example are positioned just right so that no part of them will clip into a wall, keeping them fully visible.)

• BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member

Hi - maybe a silly question, but do you actually have dirty laundry on your lot? You click on the dirty laundry to wash it, not on the washing machine.

This is actually intentional, in fact it occurs with a bunch of objects in-game. If we want an object to seamlessly tile with another object placed adjacent to it (aka, no gap or space between the two objects), then that object has to be built to go all the way to the edge of the tile that it's placed on. Because our walls have a thickness to them, when you place objects that function this way next to a wall, they slightly clip into the wall. We tend to ensure that nothing important is hidden inside the wall when this occurs. (The light panel on the washer/dryer for example are positioned just right so that no part of them will clip into a wall, keeping them fully visible.)

Point taken. It still irritating when the control panel disappears into the wall (And yes, I know no "used" controls are hidden, but the fact that I can see parts of the control area disappar bugs me). It's not a big thing and thanks for telling me the reason. I can just ALT-it out of the wall.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • VenessaVeeVenessaVee Posts: 187 Member
    > @SimGuruGraham said:
    > VenessaVee wrote: »
    >
    > Would anyone be able to help my issue? I have no mods, just bought the add on pack and can't use the washer. I've tried placing it outdoors, away from shelves from what I read in the past comments however nothing works. When I click the washer it just gives me the option to upgrade.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hi - maybe a silly question, but do you actually have dirty laundry on your lot? You click on the dirty laundry to wash it, not on the washing machine.

Thanks for responding. I finally got it to work and found out what I was doing wrong! :smile:
  • abs8872abs8872 Posts: 7 New Member
    TBH I am not pleased with the devs or TS4 in general. First of all, they can't even correctly identify well-known architectural styles (Brook Bungalow was not built in the bungalow style, FYI!), and then this bug with the shelves over the washer (not to mention the many other things that are just plain wrong with this game). I am still a fan, of course, just a very disappointed one. I mean, in this day and age, how could a dev NOT KNOW what a bungalow looks like? And who would think that shelves not being able to be above a washing machine was OK? These are just a couple of the issues I have with TS4, but there is a laundry list of them (no pun intended, even though I like puns). And don't even get me started on the building limitations in TS4 (not being able to manipulate the landscape so you can have different levels of stairs throughout a build, not being able to customize which parts of a build get a foundation, etc.). Every time I play TS4 I discover something else to be disappointed about, and I always end up closing it and going back to TS3. Now they are releasing a 'Seasons' expansion? Pfft. Count me out. All this company cares about is turning a profit--if they cared about making buyers/players happy, then they would! They have enough money and enough people to make things happen, they just aren't doing it. They like keeping people on the edges of their seats wondering when such-and-such is going to be fixed in a patch, when such-and-such expansion is going to be released. I'm over it.
  • oviovi Posts: 5 New Member
    I also have a problem with the washing machine, it's blocked. I can put my clothes in it, but I don't have the option to laundry (wash). I only have the option to take them out or move them to the dryer unwashed. I can upgrade my washing machine, I can add it additive, but I can't wash with her. And some blue light stays on in the washing machine.
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member
    ovi wrote: »
    I also have a problem with the washing machine, it's blocked. I can put my clothes in it, but I don't have the option to laundry (wash). I only have the option to take them out or move them to the dryer unwashed. I can upgrade my washing machine, I can add it additive, but I can't wash with her. And some blue light stays on in the washing machine.

Replace the washing machine.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
    > @GalacticGal said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Replace the washing machine.

I tried. Not working. I changed the lot and house. It still not work. There was some blue light left on the washing machine.
    [img]https://imgur.com/CDCiwO6[/img]
    [img]imgur.com/CDCiwO6[/img]
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member
    @rosemow please come help with this issue, if you would be so kind. Thanks.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    Do you have Eco Living? If so, check to see if the Water Conservation NAP is in effect for your neighborhood. It will only let you use the washer during certain hours of the day which are 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. I think.
  • rosemowrosemow Posts: 163,519 Member
    edited October 2020
    ovi wrote: »

Hello @ovi It may be what Pamtastastic wrote. Try checking to see if it is NAP plan that prevents you from doing the washing through the daytime,
    > @Pamtastic72 said:
    > Do you have Eco Living? If so, check to see if the Water Conservation NAP is in effect for your neighborhood. It will only let you use the washer during certain hours of the day which are 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. I think.

no, unfortunately it is not the NAP.
    > @rosemow said:
    > (Quote)
    >
    > Hello @ovi It may be what Pamtastastic wrote. Try checking to see if it is NAP plan that prevents you from doing the washing through the daytime,

no, unfortunately it is not the NAP. he simply no longer has the option of laundry. If you click on the laundry basket you have the option to put them in the washing machine, but in the washing machine you only have the option to take them out and put them in the dryer or put them down.
  • ScalesssScalesss Posts: 10 New Member
    I have the same issue in my save. I put laundry in as dirty, then once it it immediately says clean, move to dryer. When I move it to the dryer, it says it’s dirty again 🙄
  • rudolpharudolpha Posts: 995 Member
    The breakdowns are constant - suppose upgrading would help but no time! Then there's those times when it just won't work right.