Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sulani was wasted.

Sulani is a beautiful place but could have been more. It would have made a excellent vacation place and maybe buy a second home on the beach.

Comments

• bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    It was the most beautiful pack but also the most shallow. All beautiful graphics with no gameplay.
    My sims only visit there if they want a tan. I've never had my sims live there. I only use the tanning and pool toys that came with that pack. Thankfully I got it on sale at 50% off.

Like Sk8rblaze said, the Sims 3 Island Paradise makes Island Living look like swimming in a puddle. :D
  • Calico45Calico45 Posts: 2,038 Member
    Its main advertised feature felt like one of the most shallow of the packs (water/underwater activities), but I loved the world. Pretty well the exact reverse of Island Paradise to me, where I liked the features better than the world.

Anyway, I really enjoy Sulani. Had it been a vacation world it would have felt like a waste to me and had the expansion been vacation focused it would have been a whole other pack to judge.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 5,000 Member
    Make that a small puddle. Been there twice, once out of curiosity and once from an invite. Have gotten some use from b/b & CAS items work for hot weather outfits. Very glad I waited for a 50% sale.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    edited October 2020
    It's my favorite world and virtually every Sim I play start there or move there. One of my absolute essential packs.

I also loathe the vacation mechanic and never went on vacation in any Sims game.

Outdoor living is absolutely pointless and the only pack I truly regret buying.

So I guess we're all different :)
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Simsister2004Simsister2004 Posts: 3,536 Member
    No matter I respect your opinion, I think that Sims 4 Island Living is MUCH better working than Sims 3 Island Paradise ever was: Mermaids lost their tails when growing up, and sims were thrown upon ground when exploring the underwater caves. I have had very much fun already with normal sims "discovering" mermaids. It is just hilarious, when they do so, and walk around telling other sims about their discovery.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    Honestly I'm just thrilled it's not s vacation world like many wanted. Now my sims enjoy that beauty every single day.
    I wouldn't exactly say it was wasted. But definitely a missed opportunity for more.
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    Disagree with it being a vacation world, I like being able to live there but agree it could've been more. So many things about the pack just weren't built on enough, it needs some sort of backstory, mermaids need a purpose, there just needed to be something more to it.
  • MasonGamerMasonGamer Posts: 8,851 Member
    edited October 2020
    Honestly I don't let the world type to stop me from going on vacation there. Basically what I do know is have a member in the household like a Grand Parent, or some other relative Reside at the "Vacation home." and then I have a friend of the family swap into the Main Household, before I transfer everyone in the family to the vacation home with the grand parents.

I'm still on the fence about getting Island Living... I really want mermaids, but... I don't really care much for Sulani.

Post edited by MasonGamer on
    Realm of Magic:

My Mood:

tumblr_nlbf3b0Jyb1qkheaxo5_250.gif
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited October 2020
    I'm glad that it wasnt vacation world, but I also dissapointed of the idea that Resort System was absent in the pack.

Island Living made me realize that The Sims team should rethink what an Expansion Pack means, no feature of Island Living was usable in the base game, no water area in the base game is swimmable, all "unique culture" and "festival" is Sulani exclusive, Boat and Diving is Sulani exclusive again, a rabbit hole fisherman and lifeguard career, the only thing that can be used in other world is Mermaid, Outdoor Shower and that sulani cooking pit.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    Even though IP was bugged out, it still had more potential than IL, as said IL for me was mostly fluff and little substance as graphics I cannot play with it as it is for watching and I want more than an art show.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,876 Member
    edited October 2020
    I agree. I’m happy Sulani isn’t a vacation world, but rental lots or hotels would have been great.
    Also there isn’t much to do in Sulani, and most of it is rabbit holes (careers, scuba diving, exploring, etc). Even mermaid can’t swim underwater which is.....kind of the whole point of......mermaid ??

@izecson I agree with you on EPs. GPs almost expand the base game more than EPs.
    Post edited by Dianesims on
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,914 Member
    Sulani is one of those expansions which benefits those who have bought the most packs.

You can use the tents & equipment like the freezer boxes in Outdoor Retreat for a weekend stay, without paying rent, on one of the beaches or using one of the Spas to make somewhere to relax, have yoga classes, a sauna, a massage and by making a few changes, make a deck into the sea with a bar and have your Sims loaf there on their deckchairs and go for a swim. If you add a bedroom and extra kitchen you can even stay at the spa for days.

If you have StrangerVille you can add to the off the grid items in that off the grid lot.

And that sand that comes with Sulani you can use for the kids in the back garden in your own home Newcrest Villa and make them a sandpit to play in.

There's lots you can do if you use your imagination.

• Renato10Renato10 Posts: 472 Member
    In my opinion every expansion are weak! Even seasons... I love the calendar but I miss the festivals and that flat snow is so weird specially on the roofs. Cats and Dogs are the bggest disappointment to me. Island Living and City Living are shallow compared to packs from past games with the same theme.
    Goldmoldar wrote: »
    Even though IP was bugged out, it still had more potential than IL, as said IL for me was mostly fluff and little substance as graphics I cannot play with it as it is for watching and I want more than an art show.

I have seen this since the release of IL and I just can't relate. I have absolute no idea what you and others talk about.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    I am still not sure what makes Island Living an EP. Like everyone else, I was disappointed that there were no hotels included as I usually associate sand and sea with vacations, but I love the world and the opportunity for living the quiet life it offers. I have a sim there who writes novels and grows coconuts and pineapples. In my opinion Island Living should have been a game pack and priced accordingly.
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I am still not sure what makes Island Living an EP. Like everyone else, I was disappointed that there were no hotels included as I usually associate sand and sea with vacations, but I love the world and the opportunity for living the quiet life it offers. I have a sim there who writes novels and grows coconuts and pineapples. In my opinion Island Living should have been a game pack and priced accordingly.

What?

A full sized world, a several new careers, a HECK of a lot of CAS and build items and tons of new animations and interactions.
    There is absolutely to say this should be a game pack is just wrong.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,382 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

What?

A full sized world, a several new careers, a HECK of a lot of CAS and build items and tons of new animations and interactions.
    There is absolutely to say this should be a game pack is just wrong.

We got a lot of CAS and build items with stuff packs like Tiny Living and Knitting Stuff, so I don't think that makes it an EP. Even without the hotels and vacations, they could have added more stuff to make it feel like a whole experience. The furniture is all resort like and expensive looking, but there are no resorts and the area is quite poor. They didn't even include any hammocks and they are a staple of such regions. And Hula dance.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    Island Living was the one pack that I wanted more than practically anything else. I have so much fun with Island Paradise, I was hoping for something similar but updated. I was looking forward to trying out the activities and a new hotel/resort mechanics.

It was a shock when I saw the ocean of Sulani for the first time. "A bathtub" another forum member called it. What an appropriate description. No wonder there weren't many water activities such as surfing, windsurfing, water skiing, more types of boats, or actual scuba diving. They would have looked out of place. Plus, no hotels. Still no hotels.

The depth of water, the depth of snow, the depth of gameplay -- for some reason, TS4 has a serious problem with depth in general.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • SantiagoWittSantiagoWitt Posts: 40 Member
    I played TS4 for the first time in June, after never playing a previous Sims game. I started my first legacy challenge on Aug 4. I chose Sapphire Shores, the empty 50 x 50 lot in Sulani. It has been a blast playing there for six generations as I’ve learned the game. I also have City Living and Seasons, and let me tell you a Sulani monsoon is something. Sims die in those. My family sometimes visits the city, but mostly they stay at home. Until recently when they opened a retail store.

I understand the comments about the shallow gameplay, but it really suits my style. I like full households and playing 8 Sims at once. I dig raising kids, and Sulani is a GREAT place to do it. Whenever I play, it’s like I’m living on the beach. I built their house over the water. There’s tons of room for a garden. And my legacy challenge is a special Mermaid edition. Once my founder became a Mermaid, every child has been born a Mermaid, even those with one non-Mermaid father. Their house has direct access from their bedrooms to the water. It warms my heart to watch them all swim together, and then hang out in clusters and chat while bobbing in the water. It’s also really cool that they can call clear skies with the blow of a horn, or make it rain as a lazy way to water the garden.

Have you ever stuck around long enough to see the turtles’ march to the sea? It’s pretty cool. I took pictures.
  • SimalleyaileSimalleyaile Posts: 865 Member
    Sulani is a beautiful place but could have been more. It would have made a excellent vacation place and maybe buy a second home on the beach.

While I'm really glad Sulani is a residential world and not a vacation one, I agree that this would have been a perfect time to introduce the ability to buy a second home - a holiday home in Sulani and any of the existing residential worlds.

I'm disappointed that diving was not developed as a skill, and there is no underwater environment for both mermaids and regular sims to explore. That was a bizarre exclusion that still baffles and frustrates me every time I play in that world, though I think the world itself is beautiful and I love being there.

I would have loved sims to do the hula, walk on fire rocks, play ukulele and sit cross-legged! I'm still hoping they will add a Tourist Accommodation System we can use in all the worlds.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited October 2020

I have seen this since the release of IL and I just can't relate. I have absolute no idea what you and others talk about.
    You never played IP?
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen

You never played IP?

No. I quit Sims 3 after Supernatural. I was just tired with it and it's limitations.

• Louise_G0325Louise_G0325 Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited October 2020
    TS3 IP was my favourite EP, and I had been looking forward to TS4's version since launch. IL was the biggest betrayal to me that TS4 had ever committed, and there have been many of those. I refuse to buy IL unless it's 75% off, and even then I wouldn't buy it if I didn't plan to make a little YouTube channel.

I typed a very long rant about everything I hate about this pack, but I was rambling. I basically wish this pack didn't exist. I would rather not have gotten a tropical pack for TS4 than have gotten this disgrace. With everything that's going on with TS4's lacklusterness six years since its launch, I wish I never purchased TS4. I wish I could get a refund. I was an unwavering optimist about TS4, always seeing its potential and defending it. This optimism died the moment it was made clear that IL was a disgrace, and JTB was the nail in the coffin. The developers have turned me to loathing TS4 after all my loyalty. That says A LOT.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    edited October 2020
    izecson wrote: »
    I'm glad that it wasnt vacation world, but I also dissapointed of the idea that Resort System was absent in the pack.

Island Living made me realize that The Sims team should rethink what an Expansion Pack means, no feature of Island Living was usable in the base game, no water area in the base game is swimmable, all "unique culture" and "festival" is Sulani exclusive, Boat and Diving is Sulani exclusive again, a rabbit hole fisherman and lifeguard career, the only thing that can be used in other world is Mermaid, Outdoor Shower and that sulani cooking pit.

That is still an expansion though. There's two types of expansions: one that enhances and adds to what's already there, and one that adds something completely new to the game. Island Living is in the second category.

The focus of the pack is living in an island, so the stuff that comes with it is centered around living on an island. The stuff that comes with it isn't for a blue suburban in Willow Creek it's for living on an island. Thats kind of the whole point. It'd sort of defeat the point of the pack if it was full of stuff for suburban houses as that has zero relevance to island living and there is many other packs that are for that.

I don't like Discover University for the same reasons, but it's a university pack so obviously all the stuff is gonna be primarily for university gameplay as that's the core theme of the pack and not suburban family life.