Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why so much hate for the star wars game pack

Comments

• GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    ZhakiraP wrote: »
    There is an update planned for the Sims 3 to make it 64-Bit (like the one for the Sims 4 we got recently). It was meant to come out early this year but it was probably delayed due to the pandemic.
    If the team is planning updates like these then I guess the game isn't really dead.

Are you talking about the update for Sims 3 on Mac? I was not aware that extended to the PC game. I’ve only read it’s for macOS since the latest OS doesn’t support 32bit apps.

ETA: After some googling and a brief skim of AHQ I’m unable to find anything that says the PC game is getting a 64bit update. The macOS version of Sims 3 is getting an update so it’s compatible with macOS Catalina and metal. So aside from this compatibility update (exclusive to Mac afaik) the game is still dead.

What exactly is your definition of a dead game?
    Is it dead when there are no more updates, no matter if it´s still out there frying graphic cards?

Dead to whom? :|

(And no I am not trying to be confrontational, I am simply curious).

A game that’s no longer receiving updates or development of any kind. People here LOVE to get super emotional when they hear something they don’t like. Sims 3 IS “dead” and that has absolutely nothing to do with someone’s ability to buy or play it. It’s not getting anymore content, it’s not getting any bug fixes, EA is making it compatible with the newest Apple OS so it doesn’t have to delist it and that’s all. Don’t expect them to go and fix any of the issues with the game, or even any of the issues exclusive to the Mac port.

So while the community might be very much alive and enjoying the game they are NEVER getting any other official content for it. Development is dead on it. For everyone who was crying about what I said here’s some more.

If it makes you happy, keep on saying it.

It isn´t dead to me ;)

Congrats I guess? I’m just pointing out the obvious. Sims 3 is my favorite game of them all but even I can separate my enjoyment of the game from the fact it hasn’t been touched in over 4 years. For some reason you keep trying to make it out like I’m speaking for you when all I’ve said is that development on the game is dead. Which is 100% factual.

I agree with you Just because an game may still make an company money from an retail view, it is dead on the development side as the game is not being expanded on and Sims 4 will go through the same thing when its time comes to cease production. Now being dead as far as the developmental side is concerned is not necessarily an bad thing as one can still acquire the program and one thing about Sims 3 it has not been archived yet like Sims1and 2 was. Other games outside of the Sims series and from other gaming companies even those from now defunct companies are still being sold on plenty of sites. So for me the point should be about on level is the game dead and again on the development side the game is dead unless EA/Maxis say we will make an EP or SP for Sims 3 and then that version will be risen from the dead and I seen that on other games where an game has risen from the dead. (That will not happen and making an update or patching does not count). But you are right from an developmental point the game is dead.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited September 2020
    There is an update planned for the Sims 3 to make it 64-Bit (like the one for the Sims 4 we got recently). It was meant to come out early this year but it was probably delayed due to the pandemic.
    If the team is planning updates like these then I guess the game isn't really dead.

Are you talking about the update for Sims 3 on Mac? I was not aware that extended to the PC game. I’ve only read it’s for macOS since the latest OS doesn’t support 32bit apps.

ETA: After some googling and a brief skim of AHQ I’m unable to find anything that says the PC game is getting a 64bit update. The macOS version of Sims 3 is getting an update so it’s compatible with macOS Catalina and metal. So aside from this compatibility update (exclusive to Mac afaik) the game is still dead.

Is it dead when there are no more updates, no matter if it´s still out there frying graphic cards?

A game that’s no longer receiving updates or development of any kind. People here LOVE to get super emotional when they hear something they don’t like. Sims 3 IS “dead” and that has absolutely nothing to do with someone’s ability to buy or play it. It’s not getting anymore content, it’s not getting any bug fixes, EA is making it compatible with the newest Apple OS so it doesn’t have to delist it and that’s all. Don’t expect them to go and fix any of the issues with the game, or even any of the issues exclusive to the Mac port.

So while the community might be very much alive and enjoying the game they are NEVER getting any other official content for it. Development is dead on it. For everyone who was crying about what I said here’s some more.

It isn´t dead to me ;)

The game developmental side is dead and updates or even patches does not affect that status as it does not expand the game beyond what is in the game. The game is not dead on the retail side and most games regardless of age or when it ceased production and still selling today is not dead from an retail side so there is an difference. However for me which version has more options belong to Sims 3, Sims is too gimped and more about art than anything else. One can say Sims 4 runs but it runs at an heavy cost to creativity and lack of editing tools which was free and available to players up to now. Expanding availability of neighborhoods is now an paid option which was free and available for players in previous versions.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • ZhakiraPZhakiraP Posts: 1,439 Member

It isn´t dead to me ;)

Congrats I guess? I’m just pointing out the obvious. Sims 3 is my favorite game of them all but even I can separate my enjoyment of the game from the fact it hasn’t been touched in over 4 years. For some reason you keep trying to make it out like I’m speaking for you when all I’ve said is that development on the game is dead. Which is 100% factual.

I was curious about your statement that the sims 3 is dead, since, for a lot of people still playing it, it isn´t.

I am not trying to make anything out.

This really isn´t something worth getting into an argument over.
    53218870167_a5d450f1db_h.jpg
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,779 Member
    ON topic: I do not hate the star wars pack.

Currently this thread is way too off topic, it is comparison of the sims games. So here is mine:

I love my TS2, yes I use default replacements for hair, genetics, and clothing, also for terrains and water texture. I still love it and play daily and as UC is working like a charm now for me (thanks to a friend), I will play as long I can.

After I had a hiatus of simming, I heard TS3 had horses. I was so exited , I have horses IRL.

BUT, I cannot, not even for horses. because of the sims, the jello, budding.. and it needs mods to even run.

I know, "use CC and sliders" .. and "use this and that mod"...
    And the above is said by same people who say: "Game should not relate to mods" when talking at TS4.

I love my TS2, and everyone who says it is perfect at vanilla is wrong or nostalgia speaking.

You can use different default skins for TS3 just as with TS2 and TS4 too. How come people who don't like TS3 never mention that?

Snipped the ON topic part :D

I did not meant that, of course there is default replacements (personal irk, I hate when people keep saying there is "default" this and this available, when the real DEFAULT is the thing what game offers, rest are "default replacements" ) .. Okay, that was enough about personal rant :D .

I have considered to buy TS3 basegame , just to try it out, I have The sims, TS2 UC, Castaway Stories and TS4 installed.

But to go all the way to find the mods what makes it even to run? Naah.. no.

My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    ON topic: I do not hate the star wars pack.

Currently this thread is way too off topic, it is comparison of the sims games. So here is mine:

I love my TS2, yes I use default replacements for hair, genetics, and clothing, also for terrains and water texture. I still love it and play daily and as UC is working like a charm now for me (thanks to a friend), I will play as long I can.

After I had a hiatus of simming, I heard TS3 had horses. I was so exited , I have horses IRL.

BUT, I cannot, not even for horses. because of the sims, the jello, budding.. and it needs mods to even run.

I know, "use CC and sliders" .. and "use this and that mod"...
    And the above is said by same people who say: "Game should not relate to mods" when talking at TS4.

I love my TS2, and everyone who says it is perfect at vanilla is wrong or nostalgia speaking.

You can use different default skins for TS3 just as with TS2 and TS4 too. How come people who don't like TS3 never mention that?

Snipped the ON topic part :D

I did not meant that, of course there is default replacements (personal irk, I hate when people keep saying there is "default" this and this available, when the real DEFAULT is the thing what game offers, rest are "default replacements" ) .. Okay, that was enough about personal rant :D .

I have considered to buy TS3 basegame , just to try it out, I have The sims, TS2 UC, Castaway Stories and TS4 installed.

I adore Castaway Stories. My favorite side game. I think I remember it having some mods too for the PC version.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • Felicia_QueensFelicia_Queens Posts: 69 Member
    While I don't hate the new Star Wars pack, I also won't be buying it. It's yet another thing I never wanted for my sims. From what I've seen, it doesn't really add anything to the game, aside from a few cosmetic things. It didn't even add any actual new alien races to play as, or act as PTs for abducted sims! In a world/setting known for its wide array of interesting aliens, we don't actually get any new ones. The Force is a joke, you can't become a Jedi, or join the dark side.
    Nothing affects anything. To me, it just feels like a shameless kiss Disney's mouse ears cash grab. An in-depth sci-fi pack, that adds new gameplay, new alien races, new skills, traits, etc. would have been amazing. But we didn't get that. We got a branded, patronizing, hot mess of a pack instead.

Meanwhile we have had very little to any family-based packs and gameplay added. No prom for teens, no true vacations, no honeymoons for newlyweds. All elders can do is sit around and complain about the modern world, or look back fondly on the past with rose-tinted glasses. Teens are just skinny adults. Babies are boring, basically furniture that sometimes cries. But we can darn sure own a restaurant, or run a business that requires your sim to be on-site and constantly micro-manage! And oh yeah our sims can live in a tiny home (stupidest trend EVER) and buy all manner of fancy gadgets and clothes. But those are just things, and do not do enough to enhance the game to justify their price points. Frankly, the modders out there could probably do all of that, just as well as EA if not better.

I guess the sims is just going to turn into a game that satisfies the fantasy lives of all those teens/YAs who want to be "the beautiful people" and have lavish homes with no kids, who either turn aging off or ship all their elders off to the retirement farm. That just isn't the kind of game I want to play. If I could get my sims 3 to play properly, I wouldn't even bother. And the worst part is that EA clearly isn't hearing the many fans who feel this way. They'd rather cater to a specific subset of fans than offer things everyone can enjoy. We can have these silly cosmetics-only packs, and we can have the gameplay enriching packs, too, but they're only making the former.
  • Felicia_QueensFelicia_Queens Posts: 69 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    crocobaura wrote: »
    I’m not talking about Sims 3 that game has been dead for 6 years.

Except that this game seems to be more alive than ever...

I‘ve seen a growth in sims 3 threads in the past couple of months, including some in which folks are asking which expansions they should consider buying, because they’re fed up with TS4. Newer machines can run the game better now, so there are fewer reasons not to start expanding again.
    Perhaps it’s not a significant number, but I believe sales for TS3 may have gone up a wee bit this year. Maybe just enough not to call it ‘dead’.

People want to buy TS3 because it's cheaper than TS4 and it's still available.
    It wasn't cheaper because of the Sims 3 Store. That alone was over $1,000. Actually will be interesting to see when the Sims 4 does exceed the Sims 3 base game and DLC and store. I've been keeping track, whole franchise is well over $4K, so I wouldn't call that a cheap hobby. Also I would recommend waiting for the $5 sales on Steam for the Sims 3.

Yeah, someone already did that math. The total cost of ALL of the items from the sims 3 store (without any discounts or deals) is $74,486.50. Feel free to Google that if you don't believe me; I know I'd question that if someone told me it was that much. I HATED the sims 3 store. Only time I ever considered alternate methods of acquisition.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member

I‘ve seen a growth in sims 3 threads in the past couple of months, including some in which folks are asking which expansions they should consider buying, because they’re fed up with TS4. Newer machines can run the game better now, so there are fewer reasons not to start expanding again.
    Perhaps it’s not a significant number, but I believe sales for TS3 may have gone up a wee bit this year. Maybe just enough not to call it ‘dead’.

It wasn't cheaper because of the Sims 3 Store. That alone was over $1,000. Actually will be interesting to see when the Sims 4 does exceed the Sims 3 base game and DLC and store. I've been keeping track, whole franchise is well over $4K, so I wouldn't call that a cheap hobby. Also I would recommend waiting for the $5 sales on Steam for the Sims 3.

Yeah, someone already did that math. The total cost of ALL of the items from the sims 3 store (without any discounts or deals) is $74,486.50. Feel free to Google that if you don't believe me; I know I'd question that if someone told me it was that much. I HATED the sims 3 store. Only time I ever considered alternate methods of acquisition.

wow I wish sims 4 had that much stuff sadly I can't shop in the sims 3 store because mines on steam :(
    and to bring it back on topic the star wars pack is getting hate because all brand deals with the sims get hate
    except for that one stuff pack in sims 2 that I cant recall the name of that people really want to see again in the sims
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

But that's what people have to do for TS4 even more so - add tons of mods: to fix the sims so they do what they're suppose to do, to fix broken game play, to add missing game play. Everybody knows that, but this is the only place on the internet that pretends that it doesn't happen, lol! 😄

I have nearly everything from the Sims 3 Store for $500-$600 total, all with discounts. TS3 simmers are smart - very few buy anything there full price.

• haneulhaneul Posts: 1,952 Member

I googled it and the $74k figure is completely wrong. The person who did the math made a lot of mistakes and the mistakes are discussed in the forum where that person posted the figure. It also just doesn't make sense from a common sense perspective. There are fewer than 5000 items in the store and most of them are simple objects. 74000 gives an average price of $15 for 5000 objects which is very wrong.
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,779 Member
    I am not even trying to quote, but..

@Scobre , about CS, yes, from CC hairs (with a mesh) , skintones and makeup, and certain outfit recolors work :) About mods, there is a list at MTS what mods work for it, as I continued playing it after I finished the story, I was happy to find so many so called "essential mods" what worked for it. :)

@ClarionOfJoy , oh yes I know, lol, I have over 6000 files at my TS2 mods folder in Downloads folder :D Add all the default replacements and CC to it, nearly 12 GB :D
    Why I said I am too lazy to dig yet again all the mods and CC :)
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member

But that's what people have to do for TS4 even more so - add tons of mods: to fix the sims so they do what they're suppose to do, to fix broken game play, to add missing game play. Everybody knows that, but this is the only place on the internet that pretends that it doesn't happen, lol! 😄

I have nearly everything from the Sims 3 Store for $500-$600 total, all with discounts. TS3 simmers are smart - very few buy anything there full price.

Thanks for sharing your figure too. Sales are wonderful no matter which iteration. I had fun doing the math figuring you can save from a quarter to a half on any of the four games just from waiting on sales. Interesting it is getting near that figure. Sims 3 packs cost $439.81, so about $939.81-$1,039.81 if just getting sales on just the store not bad. Sims 4 is over $800 full price now. Worries me if Sims 5 becomes a subscription MMO how much it will cost. I know I am a bit odd liking math. I never was good at art.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • kellivan68kellivan68 Posts: 34 Member
    Simple ... the look like aliens but its a hat. Even in gameplay they say only "humans" for certain things ... but everyone is human ... some people just have hats ... boring after 15 min.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    Sims 3 is a great game and is not dead. I like it. (Mixed feelings about it, but it’s still a great Sims game.)

I still love Sims 4. However, I do understand some folks’ frustrations with it. (I am going to keep enjoying it while I wait for Sims 5 and/or Paralives.)

With Star Wars, it’s more of the pent up frustration coming to a head, and the straw that broke the camel’s back for many folks.

Several years later, and many folks are still waiting for many features and fleshed out gameplay, improvements and bug fixes.

The appearance of a branded pack that does not contain all of the stuff of a brand (for example, some folks may want Jedi powers or epic battles, etc), and is a niche pack, feels like the company is not listening to the community for many players.

It’s several years later, and many folks are still waiting for features or more fleshing out of features after getting limited versions compared to past Sims versions of the similarly themed packs and such.

So it’s understandable why many folks would be angry about the Star Wars pack enough to hate it.

(Luckily, I love Star Wars and want this pack, so this doesn’t apply to me. I am ready for a new Sims game, though, since I got a lot of good stuff and feel satisfied enough to move on.)
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • SofieSimsxSofieSimsx Posts: 38 Member
    I mean, if I wanted to play Star Wars I would literally just buy a Star Wars game...not Sims.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    SofieSimsx wrote: »
    I mean, if I wanted to play Star Wars I would literally just buy a Star Wars game...not Sims.

Exactly. It is an awful Star Wars game and an awful Sims game.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • marcel21marcel21 Posts: 12,341 Member

I like it a lot.
    So don't buy it. wait for them to release a pack you like ;)
    Origin ID MichaelUKingdon

marcel21 wrote: »

I like it a lot.
    So don't buy it. wait for them to release a pack you like ;)

It is the first pack I have not bought, so ahead of you. It peaks my interest far less than My First Pet stuff after all.
  • TheRealTacomamaTheRealTacomama Posts: 109 Member
    I know this is old but can we PLEASE retire the "if one person likes this pack, I'm happy."

FUDGE THAT. Who the flying fudge makes products for one single person? That's not how you run a business and as consumers you shouldn't take that ship!
    Simming for twenty years...
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    Are we still at it over here? :D
  • TheRealTacomamaTheRealTacomama Posts: 109 Member
    TBH I think it's gonna take years to live down this clusterfudge @CAPTAIN_NXR7
    Simming for twenty years...
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    I think people need to just get over the idea that every single pack is for everyone. There are a bazillion players now and a large variety of preferences. It's time for the older iteration players to learn how to share their toys. Sometimes a pack just isn't for you. Or me. That's life.
    #Team Occult
    LiELF wrote: »
    I think people need to just get over the idea that every single pack is for everyone. There are a bazillion players now and a large variety of preferences. It's time for the older iteration players to learn how to share their toys. Sometimes a pack just isn't for you. Or me. That's life.

But the criticism isn't about that. The criticism is about product placement (for a PARK even) and priorities clearly dictated by money and not consumer care.
    Yes, a lot of people like this pack I am sure, but the reason we have so much disappointment is that this is basically a big big BIG billboard with the devs holding bags of Disney Dollars (tm) and laughing at the community wanting "bug fixes" and "babies" and other stupid stuff we obviously will never get because this was more important.

OR if we believe the other side of the story Simguru Lindsey missed going to the amusement park with her kid, so she pushed this thru instead. The end result is still the same; the dev team saying quite openly "haha they want stuff fixed that has been broken for years but nah, let's do DISNEY STAR WARS instead!!"
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2020

:o Considering the older iteration players had to beg for swimming pools, movie stars, toddlers, ghosts, maids, butlers, burglars, stop the culling of Sim friends, karaoke, pets, weather, terraforming, half walls, vampires, mermaids, aliens, running a business, stay at home jobs, self employment, generational play (Parenthood), and a dozen other things, I think they have the right to speak up and say no, we don't want linear, scripted play considering how much they had to beg (for years) for things they/we do like. Origin's ad in one place, says sculpt the landscape of your dream home...something 'older iteration players' had to beg and beg to get someone to do over at Maxis. I think the older iteration players have earned their merrit badges, and a big thankyou should be given to them. :p
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »

:o Considering the older iteration players had to beg for swimming pools, movie stars, toddlers, ghosts, maids, butlers, burglars, stop the culling of Sim friends, karaoke, pets, weather, terraforming, half walls, vampires, mermaids, aliens, running a business, stay at home jobs, self employment, generational play (Parenthood), and a dozen other things, I think they have the right to speak up and say no, we don't want linear, scripted play considering how much they had to beg (for years) for things they/we do like. Origin's ad in one place, says sculpt the landscape of your dream home...something 'older iteration players' had to beg and beg to get someone to do over at Maxis. I think the older iteration players have earned their merrit badges, and a big thankyou should be given to them. :p

Well, it's like this. The older sibling tends to have a hard time getting used to sharing their space and toys and learning that it's not all about them anymore when younger siblings come along, right?

Many of those things you mentioned were already planned for development somewhere down the line so for those things, no begging was needed. That's the nature of the Sims games. They are developed over time during their run. And Sims 4 still continues to be developed. The same will happen with Sims 5 when it releases another barebones base game, and then everyone will be rioting all over again for what's "missing" and what changed, except that the Sims 4 player voices will be added to the mix, looking for an emotion system, multitasking, art style, world aesthetics, representation, etc etc. So there's going to be the same push and pull and fighting between players and anger at the devs. Also, let's not pretend it's only the older iteration players who make requests, or that older players aren't also asking for new things never seen before, because they are.

There are no merit badges. Old players and new are considered equal and on even ground. Family players and fantastical are the same. That's what players don't realize and it took me a while to figure it out myself. Playing past games doesn't give one player an upper hand or more validity for their personal preferences. Not in an ever - evolving game like The Sims. What it does give, are more solid examples for making requests or constructive criticisms.

The Sims franchise is now much bigger than its early player base. Hard to swallow, yes, but true. Hence why every pack or piece of gameplay is not going to be liked by every player. Sometimes it's not about your preferences but someone else's. Everyone wants a lot. Everyone gets a little here and there. Nobody gets everything at once. The game continues development.
    #Team Occult