Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Negative Traits

KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,066 Member
edited October 2020 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
The Sims 4 seriously lacks in traits that makes Sims unique, but more so in negative traits. In fact, with negative traits, we've got about four total- evil, mean-spirited, dislikes children (if that even counts) and maybe jealous. Still, most of these traits... don’t really do anything. Jealous makes your Sims insecure, at best. Evil and mean spirited sims will be unpleasant at times, but they’ll quickly go to having a friendly conversation with Sims.

I’ve always enjoyed having downright mean Sims, or Sims that have a fair mix of pleasant and unpleasant traits, and I think The Sims 3 did this well. Mean spirited sims went out of their way to be rude to anyone and hotheaded Sims had random explosions of anger. Evil sims took downright pleasure from other Sims suffering. Loser sims struggled in everything and cried about everything. Personally, I think even neurotic was a well done trait that resembled OCD pretty well, although downplayed in a silly, harmless way that the Sims always does things.

Still, I’d like to see traits that make your Sims a little different or a little more difficult to play with. The Sims 4 feels like it’s all rainbows and sunshine in a lot of aspects, but especially this. I want Sims who are just unlucky and struggle with everything in love. I want evil Sims who take sadistic enjoyment from stealing candy from toddlers and making everyone around them miserable. I want Sims who feel like they have to double, triple check stoves and sinks to make sure they’re still off. Grumpy sims who just can’t see the pleasure or light in anything or hot headed Sims who can’t control their temper. I want traits that make things unique, different or harder in The Sims 4. What do you guys think?
Post edited by EA_Joz on

Comments

• simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,865 Member
    Check out TS4 Feedback section. :) Traits that have little or no consequences is probably the number one complaint for the game.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited October 2020
    My fave traits in the sims 4 used to be slob and gluttony, and i personally think that these were the only two traits that matter than the rest. all traits works the same way (it gives you random moodlet and emotion, you're not doing genius stuff? you're gonna be tense, you havent exercise in a while? you're gonna be tense)

And yes The Sims 3 really nailed it with Traits system, just recently finished my gaming session and in that last lession as soon as my sims get out of the class, the mean spirited sims out of nowhere slapped my sims and then continue to pick a fight.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    in ts4 the traits are like everything else, just set dressing. ts4 is the game of playing pretend, pretend your sims is this, pretend your sims is that, it gets boring. and the problem is not only on the evil traits, it's on all of them. the fault for this are both the AI and the emotions. they're poorly worked and don't seem to mix well with the traits system. emotions were one of the biggest features in ts4 according to devs, it was gonna make them smarter or something but i'm seriously questioning the level of judgement they have. the system is too oversimplified and easily manipulable, now sims are ruled by them. no matter what kind of sim you create, if it's angry it will be mean to everyone, if it's flirty it will flirt with everyone and their mom, if it's happy it will be kind even with their enemy, if it's sad it will go cry under the bed regarding the traits you give them. and don't get me started on animations, they're all the same for every sim! how are the sims going to be unique if they all act the same? i've been playing ts2 & ts3 these days and the gameplay difference is huge. they're far from being perfect games, but if you make a lazy sim you get a lazy sim guaranteed.
  • KatNipKatNip Posts: 1,066 Member
    @simgirl1010 I don't tend to hang out on The Sims 4 side of the forums and had no idea there was a discussion side, but I will consider stopping there for future reference. I mainly wanted to start a healthy discussion regarding negative traits instead of complain to see how other people felt, hence the what do you think? :)
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,865 Member
    KatNip wrote: »
    @simgirl1010 I don't tend to hang out on The Sims 4 side of the forums and had no idea there was a discussion side, but I will consider stopping there for future reference. I mainly wanted to start a healthy discussion regarding negative traits instead of complain to see how other people felt, hence the what do you think? :)

Understood. Are you playing Sims 3? When I was actively playing 3 I actually stayed away from most of the 'negative' traits so I do hope I get a chance to revisit it at some point.
    @simgirl1010 I haven't played much recently, but I do play the Sims 3! You should check out some of the negative traits if you ever choose to revisit it; I think it adds a fun sort of challenge and experience to the game. It took me years to touch them, though, so I don't blame you! :lol:
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    There's also Glutton, Slob, Lazy, Clumsy, Jealous, and some other negative ones. They dont' do much but I only enjoy using good traits anyways.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    KatNip wrote: »

Understood. Are you playing Sims 3? When I was actively playing 3 I actually stayed away from most of the 'negative' traits so I do hope I get a chance to revisit it at some point.

Negative is one of the fun trait to have in TS3, especially Neurotic and Inappropriate(this one is my fave, when other sims is having a birthday, instead of cheering for them, they point and laugh to the birthday sim)
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • PotsaePotsae Posts: 79 Member
    I hadn't used any negative traits for the longest time after TS3 came out, but later I discovered that they're really quite fun. My faves are The Medieval ones, they're the reason that makes me stick to this game despite limited number of quests. I also enjoy that there's a chance to fight sims negative sides and obtain legendary traits.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I LOVE negative traits. I always say there are no positives without negatives. We don't have nearly enough and the ones we do have are too weak. There are a few funny threads around documenting the funny (non) reactions of mean sims and how they start washing your dishes after a fight.

They really don't do much but still about 70% of my seams are mean evil and hot headed.
    I would love to see all of the ones you named come and more!
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Negative traits and consequences are the best part of gameplay in The Sims series to me. How can you have good without evil? How can you have success without failure. How can you have a sweet Sim without a mean one? :D

Mortimer Goth in TS1 is one of the most hateful Sims ever created in the entire seires. It's clear when you try to build a relationship with that Sim so your Sim can get a promotion because they will literally starve if they don't have enough money for food. Or you have to resort to selling off the furniture to buy food if they aren't making enough money. Mortimer doesn't help that situation at all when it comes to gaining a friend so your Sim can have a few more dollars if he is the one you need to cultivate a relationship with so you can get the promotion.

It's not only his personality but his interests and he never seemed to be compatible with any of my Sims I created.

It's so easy to see how easy the game has become when you look back at TS1 and compare it to the rest of them. TS4 being right on the level of MySims for tiny kids.

I was somewhat relieved TS2 wasn't that hard and I was happy to see TS3 added even more traits and experiences but they too seemed not as important than TS or TS2 with sometimes just giving a buff rather than a life changing experience and or break down or anything that wasn't just easily ignored just like in TS4. Negativity could affect other Sims in the older games. Such as a Sim stealing the paper everyday dang day before your Sim had a chance to find a job. Or causing fights out in the public leading to other things happening if your Sim somewho got involved. I have seen Sims autonomously come to the aid of another Sim and or get involved with some arguments and or fights and wind up in one themselves. lol TS4 has no such blowback.

The good, the bad and the ugly is why I love the older games, because it's not about what level my Sim has reached to get that aspiration or whatever TS4 has to offer but the journey. I'm sorry to say TS4 has forgotten all about the journey.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    Oh yes. I would like negative personalities traits to be much more meaningful and have consequences. Big thing lacking in TS4 in my opinion. Don’t get me started.

I’m quite happy that my slob can use the bathroom in the shower though. Kill two birds with the one stone. 😬
    bump !
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    sorry op but i have to disagree with you i think the sims4 needs more positive traits in game
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    I feel like there are enough negative traits, but agree that traits hardly matter to the game, are easily overwhelmed and made irrelevant by moods and moodlets. It's a game of moodswings, rather than personalities.

But let's see...off the top of my head, in addition to jealous (or more aptly..'tense' from a pathetic degree of clinginess), hot-headed, evil, and hates children, there's also slob, glutton, kleptomaniac, green fiend (I don't see it as a positive going around being a sanctimonious sack)
    and a few others that are not necessarily supposed to be bad, but aren't so great in practice, either.

It is true that a lot of traits just amount to your Sim being Tense if this or that condition isn't met periodically. Blah.
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
    @friendlysimmers If it's okay that I ask, do you care to elaborate why?
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,546 Member
    as a player i just prefer seeing sims more happy and not much into negativity or drama in the game
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • pepperjax1230pepperjax1230 Posts: 7,953 Member
    I think it would be fun instead of being negative to your sim that we had flaw traits like Sims Medieval and have to work on fixing them during your sims life.
    tenor.gif?itemid=5228641
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    I am so tired of negativity, and definitely do not want it in my game. I really like the idea of the erreneous trait, but even that had mean autonomous social interactions.

Please, no more relation disturbing actions, it is too simple and crude.

The inspiration from Sims Medieval is so much better; flaws are interesting and can be worked with and played with.
  • HannaZojaHannaZoja Posts: 93 Member
    Well, at least the negative traits could be more realistic. An evil Sim will play tricks on people? Seriously? And in real live an evil person would still not enjoy the fact, that their loved ones are unhappy. Evil Sims however, cannot distinguish between family, friends or random people or enemies....
    TS3 was great. I agree that the Sims Medieval also had a good traits system.
    Favourite Game: Sims 3 <3
    Favourite Worlds Sims 3: Hidden Springs, Barnacle Bay, Riverview, Isla Paradiso, Sunlit Tides, Monte Vista, Dragon Valley, Al Simhara, Shang Simla, Roaring Heights, Lunar Lakes

Favourite Worlds Sims 4: Britechester, Windenburg, Sulani - possibly Mt. Komorebi
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    edited October 2020
    Could defintely go for more negative traits. Or at least the ones we have to be a bit more effective. I mean honestly, what's the difference between an "evil" sim and a "mean" sim? Not much if you ask me. Doesnt help when there's barely anything "evil" to do in the game unless mods are thrown in. Give me sims that enjoy starting fires in other people's houses. :D
  • Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    Well, we had unflirty Sims, if that counts as negative, especially if you want them to get a partner.
    A1hnP0t.png
    I am so tired of negativity, and definitely do not want it in my game. I really like the idea of the erreneous trait, but even that had mean autonomous social interactions.

Please, no more relation disturbing actions, it is too simple and crude.

The inspiration from Sims Medieval is so much better; flaws are interesting and can be worked with and played with.

@Auroraskies The fun thing as that you don’t have to play with negative or game altering traits if they were added. Those who do want to, however, have to rely on mods and 3rd party creations, when it shouldn’t be like that.
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    I would not say anyone has to rely on mods; that is an individual choice and not a direct outcome of features lacking.

I also have a right to express my opinion on this forum, whether it is the same as yours or not, without having to be quoted, tagged or dragged into what I suspect is nothing else than a reason to try to bait me into a silly, negative argument.

This section is called Feedback, and it is feedback on the game, meant for the SimGurus. My opinion is about the suggestion of mean traits; and not directed to players posting in this thread.
    @Auroraskies I made this thread for discussion and it’s directly implied in my original post that that’s what it was made for. If you don’t want to indulge in a discussion, you are free to leave replies unanswered and have no obligation to reply to me. ❤️