Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

criticisms of the sims 4 year 2020

Comments

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited October 2020
    I thought I'd share this, I am very happy about this update:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTA129KhWw4

I do like having inclusive life simulation like this in the game. I think what I like is that this year has gotten a lot better at simulating life rather than rpg shows. For awhile it felt very 1950s sitcom with the first few years. So nice to see the franchise branch out from that RPGing in the past three years into what made the Sims well the Sims from the beginning bringing back the dark humor and quirkiness and different themes. I can finally represent my family now which means a lot even though it still could use some help still in some areas.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Scobre wrote: »
    I thought I'd share this, I am very happy about this update:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTA129KhWw4

I do like having inclusive life simulation like this in the game. I think what I like is that this year has gotten a lot better at simulating life rather than rpg shows. For awhile it felt very 1950s sitcom with the first few years. So nice to see the franchise branch out from that RPGing in the past three years into what made the Sims well the Sims from the beginning bringing back the dark humor and quirkiness and different themes. I can finally represent my family now which means a lot even though it still could use some help still in some areas.

yes the update looks great and I do like that there not happy all the time now
    more for sim kids and more drama please
    I've had a great ts4 year so far. I have lots of plans and not really enough time to do everything I'd like to.

I have plenty of packs and don't think I will need to be restrictive when adding more. That's why I don't mind if they make a few packs that are a bit experimental and perhaps with a narrow theme. So, I'm quite happy with this year's packs, actually Star Wars is the only one I skipped. ECO had lots of content and good BB stuff, a bit too focused on ECO but that's easy to adjust to my liking. Not impressed with the NAPs, but at least they were only one of several new features. Love the Knitting pack. Also added another pack early this year...must have been StrangerVille, that I also like for the world and weird settings.

There are a few bugs that ought to be addressed, but as long as the game is playable and there are mods on offer, I'll survive.

So, all in all a happy simmer here.

I really enjoyed the star wars pack
  • ehud8651ehud8651 Posts: 62 Member
    I have to say that sims 4 journey to batuu was a bad move. I really wish we got happy haunts. I don't understand cars and the game can't support open world. I really say that the gallery and emotions is something the fandom should appreciate more. The eco lifestyle pack actually had cas I really like. sims 3 used store as cash grabs. Also it shouldn't take 2-3 months to fix skintones.
  • ehud8651ehud8651 Posts: 62 Member
    To add on to what I said, sims 4 should have an option to have sims automatically do their whims. They would be able to act if you wanted according to not only emotions, but traits and ambitions
    ehud8651 wrote: »
    I have to say that sims 4 journey to batuu was a bad move. I really wish we got happy haunts. I don't understand cars and the game can't support open world. I really say that the gallery and emotions is something the fandom should appreciate more. The eco lifestyle pack actually thcas I really like. sims 3 used store as cash grabs. Also it shouldn't take 2-3 months to fix skintones.

its been longer then 3 months people have been wanting it fixed for years now
    I didn't mind how the skin tones were it was more then we had in sims 2 and 3
    but I'm glad we are getting more :)
    Sims 2 actually had my favorite cars. I don't want gameplay and animation skimped with cars and since Sims 4 base game was advertised to have cars, it would be the ethically thing to have them patched in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDrFf4D1KOg

Things like building cars I wouldn't mind in a DLC with an RV style pack:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqrAu_PZNro

Also I don't buy the excuse cars can't be done with the world. When I started the Sims 4, there weren't even street lights or cross walks and there were issues with the roads. So roads in general have been upgraded since and could using some fixing anyways. Neighborhood editing would be the most ideal even if it was Sims 2 style.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    I really like your ideas @Scobre I think they should be in base game because they will be able to make packs for them but if we get them in a pack its unlikely we get anymore for them sims 2 was my favorite cars as well
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    The main reason why I've lost interest in the Sims 4 besides the bugs never being fixed is that I just don't enjoy the lack of functionality in the Sims 4 or the lack or social interactions. Details that makes the sims seem more human are severely lacking. Little things like Sims cuddling while sitting on a couch, cuddling while in bed, slow dancing, the way they interact with each other in general it's all wrong or lacking feeling in the Sims 4.

I don't like that Sims won't sit down to watch TV or eat without being instructed to. They have full autonomy they shouldn't need telling to do these things. I don't enjoy that all the life stages that are not young adult/adult are left out of everything and never get anything new. I'm a family player and all my sims no matter what life stage are important to me.

I've reached a point now where I've realized that even if they do ever fix the bugs the game will still never be what I want it to be because I don't think they will ever fix the bad autonomy, the idle chatting or any of the other things that the game is severely lacking like personalities or the lack of a fear emotion. I don't even think they will do real babies that well if they ever do make them real sims. The developers have shown over this last year that anything they do will be done with minimal effort and quality and it's a shame really because the Sims 4 could actually be a really great game if it was just given the effort it deserves.

The few things that I do love about the Sims 4 are the graphics for obvious reasons, they're beautiful and I love how expressive the sims are. I very much enjoy watching their facial expressions as they go about their lives. The amount of choice we have in CAS is also wonderful. There are so many hair styles and clothes to choose from that I could happily play the game without adding any extra from custom content.
    edited October 2020
    Sharonia wrote: »
    The main reason why I've lost interest in the Sims 4 besides the bugs never being fixed is that I just don't enjoy the lack of functionality in the Sims 4 or the lack or social interactions. Details that makes the sims seem more human are severely lacking. Little things like Sims cuddling while sitting on a couch, cuddling while in bed, slow dancing, the way they interact with each other in general it's all wrong or lacking feeling in the Sims 4.

I don't like that Sims won't sit down to watch TV or eat without being instructed to. They have full autonomy they shouldn't need telling to do these things. I don't enjoy that all the life stages that are not young adult/adult are left out of everything and never get anything new. I'm a family player and all my sims no matter what life stage are important to me.

I've reached a point now where I've realized that even if they do ever fix the bugs the game will still never be what I want it to be because I don't think they will ever fix the bad autonomy, the idle chatting or any of the other things that the game is severely lacking like personalities or the lack of a fear emotion. I don't even think they will do real babies that well if they ever do make them real sims. The developers have shown over this last year that anything they do will be done with minimal effort and quality and it's a shame really because the Sims 4 could actually be a really great game if it was just given the effort it deserves.

The few things that I do love about the Sims 4 are the graphics for obvious reasons, they're beautiful and I love how expressive the sims are. I very much enjoy watching their facial expressions as they go about their lives. The amount of choice we have in CAS is also wonderful. There are so many hair styles and clothes to choose from that I could happily play the game without adding any extra from custom content.

yes its true sims 4 isn't for everybody thats why its great have other sims games I wouldn't count out hope for more family play though
    the developers know its needed and being asked for as far as the bugs go I'm sure some of them will go unfixed just like in other sims games
    hopfuly they wont be big ones though here is hoping sims 5 will be more to your liking :)
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Slow bug fixes is probably a result of the coronavirus and working at home situation.

There are things never fixed way before the virus. They cant use that as an excuse when there are bugs way older
    edited October 2020
    @Sharonia Totally agree with that. I'm a family player as well. The multitasking is very borked in the game and the lingering idle animations causes a lot of resetting. I have MCCC so it alerts every time the Sims reset and it has gotten to a point where it is 10+ times a play session. That is really good feedback. That is the detail of feedback I hope the Gurus are reading. It explains what is going on and what parts of the game are not working as intended. I am a modthesims2 oldbie, so a lot of the members' feedback got into that level of detail and helps that a lot of them are tech savvy too, which I am not. My dad is so it helps since he used to fix tvs, computers, and radios for a living.
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,995 Member
    smurfy77 wrote: »
    Slow bug fixes is probably a result of the coronavirus and working at home situation.

There are things never fixed way before the virus. They cant use that as an excuse when there are bugs way older

And the virus hasn't slowed them down in cranking out mediocre packs.
    edited October 2020

yes it did we usually get a game pack in February
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member

Still mediocre packs nonetheless
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    izecson wrote: »

fine if you think so it doesn't change that they came out slower this year and I think gps are better then eps
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited October 2020

fine if you think so it doesn't change that they came out slower this year and I think gps are better then eps

Gamepacks are always better than EP, idk why.

I feel that The Sims 4 EPs aren't expansive enough as the name suggests.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    edited October 2020
    My main criticism for 2020: SSBF. (super slow bug fixes).
    I don't use 'fix' mods, however. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Some game play mods that I do use handle a variety of bugs or systems that seem off.
    Other than that I expect things to work in updates and yes, those fixes have been exceptionally slow this year.

I'm OK with the packs that have been released so far, although nothing to write home about.
    I've been enjoying JtB the most, with the scoundrel interactions and cheating at gambling being my favorite game play elements. Who knew?

Gamepacks are always better than EP, idk why.

I feel that The Sims 4 EPs aren't expansive enough as the name suggests.

I agree with you I also feel that way about the eps most of the time though I do have my favorites
    I don't use 'fix' mods, however. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. Some game play mods that I do use handle a variety of bugs or systems that seem off.
    Other than that I expect things to work in updates and yes, those fixes have been exceptionally slow this year.

I'm OK with the packs that have been released so far, although nothing to write home about.
    I've been enjoying JtB the most, with the scoundrel interactions and cheating at gambling being my favorite game play elements. Who knew?

yes I enjoyed that to and yes slow bug fixes are the biggest issue this year for sure

I like the GPs better too. I feel like they focus on gameplay more than expansion packs do.
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member

I like the GPs better too. I feel like they focus on gameplay more than expansion packs do.

Totally agree. The Game Packs in general are so much more worth the money and the themes are great too.
    #Team Occult
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    LiELF wrote: »

Totally agree. The Game Packs in general are so much more worth the money and the themes are great too.

I still prefer the idea of having expansions as opposed to a billion different little packs, covering every tiny niche idea thought to man. There just gets a point where having so many expansion, game, and stuff packs gets overwhelming, redundant, and tiring.

I'd like to see expansions improved with more solid themes/ideas with more content and for game packs to replace stuff packs entirely.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    edited October 2020

I was enjoying JtB as well.
    It was when I decided to age up my sims and send them off to Uni that I got fed up with the state of the game and uninstalled.
    It was lots of little reasons.

I have almost all the parts for a new PC build, so this is a good time to cut ties.
    The thought of installing TS3 and all my content might make me cut ties with it as well.
    I really should focus on playing all the unplayed games in my Steam Library now, as well as Crusader Kings 3 and the upcoming Cyberpunk2077.

I hope EA gets back on track with The Sims 5, but with the CEO going on about social and competitive play, my hopes are very low.
    I don't think they want to put much money in deep personality and social A.I. and Simulation tech. They would rather get that for free from gamers being social.
    Post edited by CK213 on
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • Sk8rblazeSk8rblaze Posts: 7,570 Member
    CK213 wrote: »

I was enjoying JtB as well.
    It was when I decided to age up my sims and send them off to Uni that I got fed up with the state of the game and uninstalled.
    It was lots of little reasons.

I have almost all the parts for a new PC build, so this is a good time to cut ties.
    The thought of installing TS3 and all my content might make me cut ties with it as well.
    I really should focus on playing all the unplayed games in my Steam Library now, as well Crusader Kings 3 and the upcoming Cyberpunk2077.

I hope EA gets back on track with The Sims 5, but with the CEO going on about social and competitive play, my hopes are very low.
    I don't think they want to put much money in deep personality and social A.I. and Simulation tech. They would rather get that for free from gamers being social.

I personally reinstalled TS3 around the JtB announcement, and binged it non-stop. It was just like it was 2009 again. So much fun. I'm taking a break and intend to return to it, but it's just so irksome that we are stuck playing the predecessors for such a long time now. The Sims 2 and The Sims 3 are awesome games, but I'm just so sick of each entry having a major caveat. The Sims 2 is old. The Sims 3 is poorly programmed and aging. The Sims 4, well, you know the rest. The series is in such a need of a successor that completely knocks it out of the park.

With that said though, I don't have a lot of faith in The Sims 5, admittedly. I don't think a number change is going to instantly fix the poor decisions and poor development quality that Maxis has unfortunately become synonymous with over these past years with The Sims 4. I'd love to be proven wrong, and I'd love to be excited to purchase $40 expansion packs every 6 months again. I have zero qualms with paying for good content.

Luckily, I have a backlog of games to play in my Steam library as well. There are really so many other great games right now that put Maxis entirely to shame.