Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

CC Troubles 😔

My game is still not working right even after i took all CC out. So I am just going to delete it all & download all fresh content from my sites. So without uninstalling my game what folders do I need to delete content out of? I'm beginning to think maybe I didn't get it all deleted the first time?!

Comments

• Options
    puzzlezaddictpuzzlezaddict Posts: 1,877 Member
    Custom content is installed into .dbc files in DCCache. (The .ebc files are bundled store content.) It's also a good idea to clear everything out of DCBackup except for ccmerged.package, which is necessary for your premium store content to work. The other files in DCBackup are either useless or redundant though.

If you've downloaded households or lots, those are stored in Library, but so are households and lots you've created in-game. So if you don't know which is which, you're better off deleting those from within the game. Sims saved as CAS templates are in SavedSims, and the same concept applies. And downloaded worlds have files in the InstalledWorlds folder.

If this is more than you want to deal with, you could start with a clean Sims 3 folder and just move over your saves. It's often easier to build your content from scratch, especially if the first attempt at cleaning out the folder didn't help.
  • Options
    monjr8302monjr8302 Posts: 256 Member
    I never thought of that!!! Since I'm going to be downloading & installing brand new content, then I'll just make a brand new folder!! So, since I'll be doing that, how do I start that process?
  • Options
    All you need to do is move the Sims 3 folder in Documents\Electronic Arts to your desktop, and a new folder will be created the next time the launcher opens. You can move whatever you want from the old folder to the new one—these files were made to be swapped back and forth. It's good to test your existing content, or what you want to keep of it anyway, just in case something else is corrupted. Here's a description of everything in that folder:

https://sims3.crinrict.com/en/2011/01/faq-user-files.html
  • Options
    Also. Do you recommend CCMagic to install or the launcher? Is it possible that my game may have borked because of TOO much CC?
  • Options
    I've never used CCMagic, so I can't speak from firsthand experience. Some people swear by it; others who have it can get caught in a long cycle of testing and retesting their cc without figuring out what's wrong. Personally, I'd say if you don't already use it, you probably don't need it at this point, although you might decide one day that its features are convenient. If you do try it, make sure to back up all your cc, or your entire Sims 3 folder in Documents\Electronic Arts, so you can uninstall CCMagic and put your old content back if necessary.

There's no hard limit to custom content in Sims 3, although the game starts to bog down with too much. That limit seems to be around 10 GB on newer computers, maybe less on older ones or on slower hard drives, but there's a lot of variation in performance and in what people will put up with to use their cc.

More importantly, even one bad cc item can cause crashing, lagging, graphics weirdness, etc., so it's much more important to test your cc and make sure it's working before adding it to your main saves. One strategy is to install any new items into a clean Sims 3 folder (moving your regular one somewhere else first), use the items in-game in a new save, and look for problems. If there's a problem, you'll have found out before your existing saves are affected.
  • Options
    Good advice. I had installed some recent CC that must have been bad. I even deleted it but still no such luck. I can open and play the game but when it comes time to save, it just goes on an endless loop and then I have to manually close the game out. I was using CC Magic, but I'm not even sure if it did anything. I used package viewer to enable or disable and i liked that a lot better. But when I tried to use the launcher to add in the Sims 3 pack files that CC Magic wouldn't open, some of the items wouldn't install. It said make sure you have the latest software update for your game. I refuse to patch to 1.69 and I've never had problems with any of this before. So I don't know what happened in my game or where it went wrong, so I feel like if I start from scratch and just download & install new content it may work better.
  • Options
    So I got bored of looking at CC 🙄 I just found an old save file from 2017 & used that. Wish me luck!!! 🤞
  • Options
    AnnaKAnnaK Posts: 1 New Member
    I'm new on the forums and don't exactly know how it works yet, but can someone please help me, my cc is not showing up in CAS at all, neither is my costum towns. It's the zipped cc that I have a problem with, the .package and script mods works.
    It's just the zipped ones. I do unzip them and put them in the right locations (towns goes to library and other cc goes to packages in mods, some .packages goes to the downloads folder). I'm really confused. I searched almost all sites on this problem and none of them works. I have done a deep clean on my Sims 3 multiple times (took all the necessary folders and placed them on my desktop then deleted the Sims 3 folder and started the launcher to get a new one, then placed the necessary folders back). Can someone pls help, I'm getting so frustrated with this problem now🙈