Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

We don't need Sims 5

Comments

• bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    bellagoth_ wrote: »
    you say we don't need ts5 because ts4 is perfectly fine. i beg to differ. the game was coded in a wrong way and basically all the flaws you see and the things you say are missing in ts4 won't be fixed because the game was never coded for such changes, and ea is not going to do it, because all of these changes would suppose a high cost that they won't spend for some free updates. adding more packs to a flawed product will never satisfy people, if anything it will keep boring the fandom who will end up abandoning the game.
    but a sims 5 is only necessary it it'll be better than ts4. otherwise the franchise should end with the current iteration.
    i'm hopeful it will be better because i believe all the mistakes done in ts4 won't carry to ts5

...you hope... ;)

I, on the other hand, am not so positive that they've learned their lesson.

understandable, that's why i would prefer if ts5 doesn't have the same devs as ts4.
    i'm kinda skeptical as well but i'm going to keep my expectations high for this franchise. it doesn't deserve any less..
  • dreamyaridreamyari Posts: 41 Member
    I can easily see both sides of this discussion, especially now that my branding is "We get it Ari, you've gone back to TS3 and don't want to play TS4 again". I personally think that at this point TS4 is a lost cause, like other people have said, due to the amount that would need fixing to have it up to par as part of the franchise. On the other hand, I don't think it's realistic to say we will see TS5 any time soon anyway with everything going on with TS4, and if we *were* to see it soon, it wouldn't necessarily be a good thing.
    I used to feel like we as a community were listened to when it came to what we wanted/needed in TS, maybe that used to be the case or maybe it was my naivety at the time but either that's definitely not the case anymore, and I'm tired of EA consistently showing us and reminding us that at the end of the day it's about $$$.
    Basically, I would love to see what TS5 would have in store for us, but I also have incredibly low expectations and am more than ready to be continue to be disappointed, either by the current game, or the future game.
    ☆ it is only with the heart that one can see rightly ★
    ❀ advocate + founder of TS3 Renaissance
    - they/them -
    TS3 username; britishpinkkitty
    ʜᴀʀᴘᴇʀ ʟᴇɢᴀᴄʏ; https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/981894/harper-legacy#latest
  • playermarko456playermarko456 Posts: 4,972 Member
    When I first responded to this thread, I originally said that TS4 overstayed its welcome and it is time for TS5, but now I just don't think EA has the ability to deliver a quality product. When I read that TS5 was going to be online and that it will be targeting the current generation, I'm sitting here shaking my head and wondering have they not learned anything from last time?
    When I see returning families in TS4, I have to ask myself whoever was on the Sims Team, have they ever in their life time played a Sims game? Premades showing up with no rhyme or reason, inaccurate traits, white washed, I have to ask if they've every played a Sims game their entire life? The Sims has an established lore, so when you tell me that TS4 takes place in an alternate timeline, I feel like that is an excuse; it is lazy and have no regard for the lore.
    My other issue is content being chopped up in the format of Expansion, Game, and Stuff Packs. Here is an example: Sims 3 Late Night. In order to have a similar experience in the Sims 4, you need to buy City Living, Get Together, Vampires, Perfect Patio, and Get Famous; that is a value of about $150 - $160 if you don't include the base game. Like the poster above me has stated, I'm tired of EA showing that the end of the day, it is about $$$. My other complaint is content being ripped from previous packs and later made free via patches. When TS4 decided to rebrand, they ripped content from City Living (clothing) and made it free because they were too lazy to create new assets. Any paying customer has the right to be upset. We payed 40 - 50, maybe even 60 depending where you live for an asset, and it is just given away for free. To me, that is disrespectful to your paying customers.
    Lastly, if EA is saying oh we can't do x or y because of engine capabilities, then maybe not use that engine? I understand how long it takes to create a new engine from scratch and yes it is long, but seeing how advanced TS3's engine was, I don't see why they couldn't have continued to use the same engine or work from a modified version of that engine for TS4. Reusing animations or having lack thereof, is not ok. The letter was the icing on the cake for me, basically, EA hears what we want, but don't care.
    P.S - they need to get rid of the Game Changers program. If you can't handle the negativity from fans and are putting out false reviews so that you can continue to get free packs, free trips, and free goodies from EA, then you are doing a disservice to the game and you need to step down.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    When I first responded to this thread, I originally said that TS4 overstayed its welcome and it is time for TS5, but now I just don't think EA has the ability to deliver a quality product. When I read that TS5 was going to be online and that it will be targeting the current generation, I'm sitting here shaking my head and wondering have they not learned anything from last time?
    When I see returning families in TS4, I have to ask myself whoever was on the Sims Team, have they ever in their life time played a Sims game? Premades showing up with no rhyme or reason, inaccurate traits, white washed, I have to ask if they've every played a Sims game their entire life? The Sims has an established lore, so when you tell me that TS4 takes place in an alternate timeline, I feel like that is an excuse; it is lazy and have no regard for the lore.
    My other issue is content being chopped up in the format of Expansion, Game, and Stuff Packs. Here is an example: Sims 3 Late Night. In order to have a similar experience in the Sims 4, you need to buy City Living, Get Together, Vampires, Perfect Patio, and Get Famous; that is a value of about $150 - $160 if you don't include the base game. Like the poster above me has stated, I'm tired of EA showing that the end of the day, it is about $$$. My other complaint is content being ripped from previous packs and later made free via patches. When TS4 decided to rebrand, they ripped content from City Living (clothing) and made it free because they were too lazy to create new assets. Any paying customer has the right to be upset. We payed 40 - 50, maybe even 60 depending where you live for an asset, and it is just given away for free. To me, that is disrespectful to your paying customers.
    Lastly, if EA is saying oh we can't do x or y because of engine capabilities, then maybe not use that engine? I understand how long it takes to create a new engine from scratch and yes it is long, but seeing how advanced TS3's engine was, I don't see why they couldn't have continued to use the same engine or work from a modified version of that engine for TS4. Reusing animations or having lack thereof, is not ok. The letter was the icing on the cake for me, basically, EA hears what we want, but don't care.
    P.S - they need to get rid of the Game Changers program. If you can't handle the negativity from fans and are putting out false reviews so that you can continue to get free packs, free trips, and free goodies from EA, then you are doing a disservice to the game and you need to step down.

No, I don't think EA does realizes that an online sims game is NOT what a good portion of the current fanbase wants, They are only thinking with their bank accounts. While an online game might bring in a new generation of young players who are into the whole socializing thing, it will also turn away a large chunk of veteran fans. Not saying they will completely jump the EA Ship, but won't move on to TS5 and will stay with older versions.

EA tried the always online game with SimCity and it backfired and they pulled the plug. TS4 was supposed to be online multiplayer and after SimsCity was a flop, they scrapped the online play and made TS4 what it is today. Evidently EA must think that in 6 years the fanbase has changed their mind and will embrace an online, multiplayer iteration now.

So yeah, I was super excited thinking about TS5 and all of the possibilities it could bring, but after reading many interviews with current Gurus and EA's Corporate people over the last few years and hearing the direction of where they want The Sims to go, it will never be the game it used to be. They are way too into chasing trends .... and that's the thing. Trends change from day to day, what might be crazily popular at this moment could change tomorrow when something else sparks the attention of the trend chasers. If they would just stick to what worked instead of trying to be this hip and trendy game, the game would last forever regardless of what trends may come and go.

And as far as the packs for TS4, because of the way they have decided to piecemeal each pack, it has caused discontent and a big division among players. In other games, occults were introduced into regular play packs. So, each type of player got something out of each pack even if theme wasn't their thing.

Sims 2

Aliens - Base Game
    Zombies - University, Free Time and Apartment Life
    Vampires - Nightlife
    Servo - Open for Business
    Werewolf - Pets
    Plant Sim - Seasons
    Bigfoot - Bon Voyage
    Witches - Apartment Life

Sims 3

Ghost - Base Game
    Mummy - World Adventures
    Simbot - Ambitions
    Imaginary Friend - Generations
    Unicorn - Pets
    Genie - Showtime
    Fairy, Werewolf, Witch, Zombie - Supernatural
    Alien - Seasons
    Plant Sim - University Life
    Mermaid - Island Paradise
    Plumbots - Into the Future

In Sims 4 there are 2 packs devoted to 2 life states (vampires and spellcasters, and then you have Star Wars with fake aliens) and a good majority of the build/buy and alot of the CAS in those packs are pretty niched to those themes. Plus the gameplay is more focused on those occults. Where in the other games you had "normal" realistic packs that also included occults, so each pack had something for everyone with the exception of Supernatural from TS3 because obviously that entire pack revolved around, well ..... supernatural beings.

Now, I'm not saying that the other games had as fleshed out occults as TS4 since obviously they devoted an entire pack around them, but from a "normal" player's point of view, when they release packs that don't cohesively fit in with normal, boring everyday realistic gameplay, people get upset.

The same thing happens for occult players, in the past each pack introduced some form of occult play, so even tho they may not have liked many aspects of the packs, they did include something they could get enjoyment out of. With TS4 for the most part it's either one or the other. So Occults lovers get a pack, it upsets Realistic Players. Realistic Players get a pack it upsets occult players. So EA has brought that on themselves because of how they have chopped the packs up versus how they were done previously.

• DanmanNefariusDanmanNefarius Posts: 947 Member
    edited October 2020
    Rflong7 wrote: »
    You all may not but I am waiting for a new Sims game. This one is not doing it. So, while your "We" don't need it, means nothing to the "We" who are waiting for it.

Thanks. I waited through TS2 for a "Finished" game. They left a lot out and broke more.
    I waited through TS3 for a "Finished" game. They left a lot out and broke more.
    It seems to me it's time to leave this "broke" game un"finished" and move on.

You all who are enjoying this game, keep playing it. I still enjoy TS2/3, even if I never got everything or most of the stuff we asked/expected/wanted/dreamed/hoped/begged/etc.

yep and with ts 5 they will just continue the circle of delivering buggy unfinished product. this exactly is why i keep an eye on that sims-like game (forgot the name but it is basically going to be an alternative to the sims: i am too fed up with EA ripping me of charging a fortune for a poor product full of bugs and half finished, and the sims is not the only EA series suffering from this: pretty much ALL EA games are buggy and infested with MTX and/or chopped up in heavily overpriced DLC: it is not a mere oversight or any orther pitiful excuse, it is their business model: they only care about emptying your wallet, and they couldn't care less about wether you are satisfied or not. just look at how they cross moral boundries to line their pockets, down to exploiting children and gambling addicts with their FIFA UT "surprise mechanics"! it is pretty distasteful to put it mildly
    When I read that TS5 was going to be online and that it will be targeting the current generation, I'm sitting here shaking my head and wondering have they not learned anything from last time?

online sims?? ohh god....i smell a microtransactions shop in the air additional to the usual load of content they chopped up for expansions ergo more $$$... so the MTX business model is gonna find it's way into the sims as well....greaaaaat.... god i pray that sims alternative will be good... because i am even less enthousiastic right now if they do add microtransactions to the game...and knowing EA they deffo will!

• CoryMachCoryMach Posts: 1,122 Member
    edited October 2020
    I beg to differ...I personally think TS4 has run it's course.

Me too. In fact, we need The Sims 5.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    It's way past time for a new game engine when players are dreading a patch and or a new pack. EA doesn't mind the type of player who can't wait to buy the next new shiny when they play through once and throw it down and want a new pack, EA loves them, like a parent with a spoiled child who has a toy throws it down and asked what's next, Christmas every day, but I just spent $40 on that a few months ago....EA loves that type of splurging, but players who sit here and are dreading a patch and or the next pack and what bugs it will bring, what will be unfinished or implemented in a way to mess up their saves, and or feel it could have been part of something they just bought (MFP is a good example) then it's time to move on. TS4 has run it's course as far as excitement when it's all about the dread.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited October 2020
    Cinebar wrote: »
    TS4 has run it's course as far as excitement when it's all about the dread.

just TS 4?? make that pretty much every EA game ;) i think it is time for greedy cashhungry EA to get some serious competition and a hefty drop in their share value due to their habit of giving their customers the finger when they ask for a proper working game! it is the only way to force them to quit delivering half-finished games for absurd prices.

for all i care they can have their sims 5 but i certainly am not gonna buy it, especially if my fears are real and they do find a way to put "surprise mechanics" into the sims on top of all the bugs and lackluster content for full game price (and usually more! God of War is cheaper than base sims 4 and lemme tell you...GoW is a true masterpiece!! a well made full experience with no bugs and no MTX or DLC nonsense! just a full and very good game for a reasonable price considering it's great quality!)
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    We need more than a new engine, though that's a good place to start. We need a dev & management team we can trust to actually put out a quality product at a fair price, with none of the cash grabbing shenanigans we've suffered of late.
  • SimsILikeSimsSimsILikeSims Posts: 1,634 Member
    i would like to add this

the sims 1 (first game) introduce us to the sims franchise as well as challanges

the sims 2 sequel added to the challanges of the first game plus introduce toddlers and aging as well as supernatural

the sims3 sequel added more deep as it introduce us to open worlds and challanges

the sims4 sequel introduce us to emotions but lacks the challanges sims1 sims2 and sims3 brough exemple dealing with buglars repoman seem everything is like everything is done like magic (*i apolige for sharing my tough as a player)

now its time for the sims5 new storys better emotions and challanges for players that went some challange in there game and i apoligise for the french article here but its proof sims5 is in the work https://jesuisungameur.com/2019/11/20/les-sims-5-date-de-sortie/

Sims 1 will always have a special place in my heart because it was the first game of its kind that I had ever played. The extent to which items and skins, ie CAS, could be customized was amazing. Then custom content came along, and this made the game even more impressive. Until livin large, there was only one neighborhood with 9 lots and no more. Livin large added the capacity for the player to create and add cloned neighborhoods to the game. Each expansion pack added new amazing features that had never been seen before, hot date destinations, reputations, pets, vacation destinations, fame, magic. Unleashed expanded each neighborhood to include far more lots, called “old town”, and introduced true community lots. Vacation introduced snow activities and beach activities, though none of the regular residential lots would ever see any kind of weather.

But Sims 1 graphics were dated, and the only way for kids to grow to adults without mods was to use a magic spell. Branded content was available as optional free download dlc content, but was never part of a paid pack. Alien head skins were also offered as optional downloads.

Then Sims 2 came along with major graphics improvements. Aging and community lots and aspirations were included in base game. Basements were included in base game. Stuff packs were introduced for the first time, including 2 stuff packs with branded content. More amazing new features were added in EP packs that had never been seen before: young adults, an attraction system, cars, weather, university, pranks, cow plants, hidden lots, hidden skills, and new types of Sims like werewolves, vampires and plant sims. EA acquired the franchise during the development period of Sims 2, which I think helps explain a lot. Near the end of Sims 2 development, an online Sims 2 store was set up with things like a toddler swing and castle build items. However, not only were they still releasing quality content until the torch was passed to Sims 3, but they also regularly put out freebies like a Christmas carol from the Sims music team, and some desktop wallpapers.

Sims 3 came out with open world, create a style/pattern, aging, and drivable vehicles with base game. An online store also was opened at the release date of the new game with new worlds, exclusive premium objects with brand new interactions and animations, and so on. EP packs reintroduced pets, weather, university, fame, vacations, and introduced mermaids, ocean swimming, diving, working boats, time travel, futuristic robot building, and item collecting. Horses were a brand new addition to the pets pack. Unfortunately, each Sim was stuck with a permanent cell phone in their inventory, which naturally broke during time travel to the future.

Sims 4 went back to the basics. The only new features included with base game were walk styles and emotions, travel between worlds, and multitasking. New features never seen before included with EP packs so far are the clubs and festivals, and the Strangerville story.
    I have been playing The Sims since 2001, when Livin Large came out. My avatar deliberately looks like Chris Roomies from TS1.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited October 2020

Sims 4 went back to the basics. The only new features included with base game were walk styles and emotions, travel between worlds, and multitasking. New features never seen before included with EP packs so far are the clubs and festivals, and the Strangerville story.

(TS3:Uni) Social Group (Nerd, Rebel and Jock) was like a predecessor of the Club System in TS4 and more fluid in term of how the sim on those groups behave(not robotic), and TS4 somewhat improve upon it make it much more customizable but outside of the club gathering, sims in the club dont do the interaction.

Festival is one of the main feature in TS3 Seasons, mind you.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    We need more than a new engine, though that's a good place to start. We need a dev & management team we can trust to actually put out a quality product at a fair price, with none of the cash grabbing shenanigans we've suffered of late.

Yes, I have to agree with this. Many of the names that built TS1 and TS2 are long gone. TS3 is a huge game but still held a lot of the values of what made the others good games, but TS4, I don't know it's been a sore spot for many for so long. It could have been so much more than it is right now.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    edited October 2020

That's the entire crux of the whole fiasco. We need a dev and management team that is willing to put in the effort to make TS5 a game that is worthy of carrying the torch that Sims 1-3 lit; not be satisfied with a half-way job which leaves a large number of Simmers unsatisfied.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Nekia33painterNekia33painter Posts: 336 Member
    All I'll say, if they repeat the same thing in sims 5 it sure will be entertaining.
  • DrbigtDrbigt Posts: 222 Member
    We do need Sims 5, Sims 4 has problems on base fundamental levels (Whims, Emotions) that can't be fixed unless the whole game is tweaked from its very core and we know that ain't going to happen.
  • DanielroxheapsDanielroxheaps Posts: 33 Member
    I think EA just needs to be shown that they’re not indestructible, and hopefully they will learn this through Paralives. The game has a considerably smaller dev team yet still has features that The Sims 4 should have had, but doesn’t. Hopefully if it becomes a massive success, it’ll scare EA into making The Sims 5 into a game that tries to impress fans.
  • EveryDaySimEveryDaySim Posts: 193 Member
    If you gave the current team the TS2 engine to work with and told them to make a completely new game experience from the ground up, could they match what the TS2 team did?

They do seem intent lately on a cycle of discarding players who are no longer profitable, and searching for a new, more usable batch every time their product fails to enrapture the masses enough.

Even P.T. Barnum ran out of them eventually.
  • FRENE7ICFRENE7IC Posts: 38 Member
    The thing that Sims 2 and Sims 3 had were very proficient base games. Someone truly underestimated the importance of having a strong base game, built on a performant engine at the time of development for Sims 4 and the price paid has been astronomical.

Sims 5 is the last chance to redeem the franchise. It is with great fortune that innovations are imminent that’ll enable Sims 5 to be a substantial technological achievement, hence all of the discussions about Unreal Engine 5.

On a side note: when the trailer for Senua's Saga: Hellblade II debuted late last year, it wasn’t disclosed to be using UE5, due to the embargo. Which meant the developers had access to the engine for a while in 2019. Anything can be going on behind the scenes at Maxis/EA.

Crucially, the development of the base game is no time/opportunity to gamble with addressable market segments. There is more than enough time to explore that using expansions and other DLC at a later date. If they mess this one up…
  • AthenaOnyxAthenaOnyx Posts: 3,921 Member
    I probably wouldn't even had bought sims4 if my good computer hadn't been stolen. The craptastic one I use right now doesn't play sims3 very well so I decided to buy sims4 while it was on sale. I'm sure that once I'm able to replace my awesome computer I'll go back to sims3 because I'm not impressed. I like the animations and how interactive sims are especially toddlers and pets, but it's missing so much from sims3 and even sims2.

I want EA to make sims5 with an open world, lively animations, brilliant interactive sims, and want all the details of the sims1 and sims2 to go into the Expansion Packs. I want retail stores that function exactly how they did in Open for Business. I want to see a return of recessive genes. Farming from 3. Combine the best things about Supernatural and Realm of Magic, Vampires from Vampires, Farming equipment from the sims3 store, HORSES, a color wheel...

I want a game that does make me feel like I trading off one thing for another. I want a game that makes feel confident that I've gained gameplay not lost it.
  • GuillaumeSnowGuillaumeSnow Posts: 87 Member
    @SimsILikeSims said:

Sorry but not true.
    Get to Work introduced active careers, Cats & Dogs vet clinics, EL eco footprints. If these features are good or inovative is debatable, but they are definitely firsts. But again, you can't expect this dance not to get repetitive, some things such as seasons, there are only 4, it's not likely they can be inovative with these packs.

I honestly don't see the point of a Sims 5 if things that are already well established within the franchise are not featured in the base game, such as seasons and pets.
  • LeanneStrong57LeanneStrong57 Posts: 66 Member
    If we do have a Sims 5, I would like the creators to focus more on things that really matter. Sims 4 seems to have placed too much focus on partying and other fun things. I would also like to see traits such as, "determined," "intelligent," "energetic," "strong-willed," "compliant," "independent minded," "fun-loving," "gamer," "girly-girl," "tomboy," "polite," "rude," "hard-working," "lazy," "likes animals," "dislikes animals," "easy going," "gassy," "musical," "dislikes music," , "tone deaf," "creative," "dislikes art," "kind-hearted," "honest," "genuine," "dishonest," "sociable," "reserved," "extroverted," "introverted," among many others.

Another thing I would like to see is more options in the neighborhood when it comes to education. I would like to see public schools, charter schools, private day schools, private boarding schools, schools and classes for sims with disabilities, schools and classes for the highly intelligent sims, among many different school models.

I would also like to see career options such as aviation, special education (this can even be a special branch of the education career), farming, farmhand, veterinary, dental, nursing, psychology, psychiatry, counseling, occupational therapy, speech therapy, gifted education, dance, gymnastics, swimming (these can be special branches of the athletic career), entrepreneurship, social skills therapy, physical therapy, wildlife, hunting (self-employed), forestry (self-employed), conservation, music, art, among many others. Sims can also work as a school bus driver or taxi driver.

It would be nice if sims could take classes such as flying (this may even be a requirement for joining the aviation career), art, music, farming, entrepreneurship, childcare, hunting, forestry, among many other skills necessary for certain careers. Maybe schools can also offer driving classes for teenagers.
  • playermarko456playermarko456 Posts: 4,972 Member
    To add, it would be neat if for Sims 5, they can get people from every iteration to create this ultimate sims game provided they have more freedom and less restrictive deadlines by EA.
    I honestly don't see the point of a Sims 5 if things that are already well established within the franchise are not featured in the base game, such as seasons and pets.

more complete base game= less EP material thus less $$$. EA will never go for this idea even though ity makes total sense. EA's insatiable greed is the main reason why the series went downhill

• EcaEca Posts: 155 Member
    #SaveThePlasticLifelessWorld
    giphy.gif
    Crystal Cover from Tumblr