Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Give the People What They Want

Comments

• Options
    izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I dont think she needs to mention each one of the players who dont want something or everything from the list, we can use "Players" or "Us" for this kind of request topic because it represents the majority of the players or at least the players whose voices are loud enough in the community(they want freed babies, farms, and generations packs etc), if you dont want anything or something from the list feel free to voice your opinion without calling each other names like selfish and etc.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • Options
    alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,405 Member
    g01denswan wrote: »
    g01denswan wrote: »
    Perhaps you shouldn’t generalize. Most of the things on your list are things I don’t want. Babies are fine as objects. I don’t want more occult’s. In fact, I wish there were no ghosts in the base game or aliens in GTW so I don’t need to tolerate them.

I don’t want farm animals, or a generations pack, or a school pack, or super heroes, or Create-a-World. I don’t mind painted ceilings, but they are not at the top of my priority list.

I like Tiny Living and Eco Lifestyle so they are creating things that players want. Just because some people aren’t happy, doesn’t mean that all are unhappy.

🧐🧐🧐 I don’t think she is generalizing. There’s a lot of things on the list that appeal to a wide spectrum of player interests. There’s some things I really am looking forward to, and some not so much. But I still find it frustrating when things large groups are requesting (whether I’m in that group or not) are ignored by EA. If they add werewolves or farms, I won’t throw a party, but I’d be thrilled that EA was finally listening to some big requests from the fanbase.

In this case, it’s not all that constructive to argue semantics on whether “the people” includes every last person.

Add: I like EL and IL and TL but I wouldn’t say they contain features that fans have been rabidly clamoring for. I think the point of this post is more so that huge requests are ignored.

I don’t think huge requests are being ignored. I think simmers are unreasonably impatient. There is no way that they can create everything simmers want at the same time. Some things need to be added before others anyway. Just like building a house, builders cannot add windows or a roof before the walls are up. Also, if they are going to free babies, other team members that aren’t involved cannot sit idle until the babies are freed so they continue working on other packs.

If I pay more than 500 € for a game and 30 % of the features are affected by bugs I am not unreasonably impatient. If Maxis produced (real life) cars we would all be in hospital. This team has to improve quality now.
  • Options
    AyKooChaoAyKooChao Posts: 676 Member
    edited October 2020
    I just want my aliens fixed. One year of that is bad enough; can’t imagine how annoying it must be for everyone who was playing in 2015 (2016?) :/

(And yeah, I probably talk about this too much, but if there’s any chance that EA will listen...)
    #ConsistencyForAliensTS4
  • Options
    IlyIly Posts: 17 Member
    > @Chicklet453681 said:
    >" Very well said! And I agree 100% with everything that's needed to be added and/or fixed. But, I also feel like at this date and time, that we'll likely never see many of those improvements or additions happen.
    >
    > A lot of it is fixes of bugs and upgrades to the core base game, which won't make EA money.
    >
    > I feel like their only concern is cranking out more and more packs with minimal assets, very little new gameplay and the least amount of effort possible for quick sales. They also need to seriously improve their QA protocol and thoroughly test everything before release to not conflict and break other aspects of the game. Playtesting needs to be done with every single pack installed (not just the basegame). TS4's team is very sloppy, IMO."

Yes we don't have a decent game of peace. The clock is running, the game design is suffering.
  • Options
    catitude5catitude5 Posts: 2,537 Member
    Did anyone see that new mod called Brookheights? It's open world, cars, a lot of things that EA said they can't do.
  • Options
    SchmoloopSchmoloop Posts: 116 Member
    @g01denswan Not many people are "bullying" others, and if they are, I don't support that. I don't see how EAxis is catering towards the majority if they aren't even listening to the majority of people. A majority of people did not want a Star wars pack, a majority of people want things like better babies, which we don't have.
    。゚゚・。・゚゚。
    .~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~..~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'
     ゚・。・
  • Options
    Dragon_KweenDragon_Kween Posts: 43 Member
    I'm just someone who wants more occult gameplay at the end of the day, but I agree that the bugs should be a big priority. I'm not a game developer, but if I was, I'd be looking to fix the things that can impact players because bugs can be frustrating. EA's priority list seems incredibly shotty from what I've seen...
    Cool story, needs more dragons - Cries in baguette

• Options
    Cemason001Cemason001 Posts: 6 New Member
    The movie thing doesn't really apply. I think it's something we would like to think applies but it doesn't. I think everyone is looking for a different movie for different emotions yes. But I will never watch a scary movie and those keep coming out no matter how much I complain about them. And I know it's because I'm not the 9nly audience. Sometimes I'll feel like a drama movie and others I won't watch a drama for months on end. But they didn't stop making dramas in that time frame. I just stopped looking for them. Turned a blind eye on that area of movies. Which is what it sounds like you do too.

Sims 4 creators can create whatever they want at this point because they already have so many packs and games where if you don't like one you can play with another. (Kinda like movies). And if you are giving them money on anything EA games they still get paid.

If you have ever worked retail. You would know ""the customer isn't always right". Karen ain't getting her products if she doesn't pay the tax. And Bill isn't getting a refund because he didn't read the fine print.
  • Options
    KironideKironide Posts: 804 Member

Firstly, I'd like to say that I agree with almost everything that the original poster states about the Sims 4 being entertainment and subject to the entertainers credo of, "give them what they want!" I would, however, like to play devils advocate for a moment and raise some points for discussion on this very interesting topic.

First, is that the makers/producers of any form of entertainment (e.g. books, movies, television, theatre, etc.) is about essentially two things: making money and creative expression.

EA/Maxis is a business and like any business, they want to make money. That is their bottom line. All businesses will do everything they can to maximise their profits for every product they produce, otherwise they become vulnerable to their market competitors. Maximising profits often means reducing the quality and quantity of their products. They do this by cutting the costs of game production. This is a core business philosophy that includes all businesses including those in the entertainment field.

People usually vote with their feet, i.e. they walk if they don't like a new game, film or tv series, but millions of people worldwide are still buying the Sims 4 game and its expansion packs. EA has reportedly been recording record profits each quarter in recent years, so it would seem that there is very little incentive for them to spend their profits to improve game quality, or attempt to correct the technical issues in a timely fashion, since apparently millions of people worldwide do find the game to be sufficiently entertaining.

That doesn't mean that I think our voice is unimportant, I believe we should exercise our right to complain that EA is giving us considerably less quality gameplay and content for more money on each pack they produce, but imo it is worth noting that quite some time has passed since the last two iterations of the game and game prices have increased steeply during that time. I am currently considering buying a game that costs £60.00, equivalent to about $85.00. Sadly, the good old days are gone and likely will never return.

Traditionally, the one thing that does change this indifferent corporate attitude is healthy competition, but up until recently the Sims have had very little competition to challenge it. We all know that there are no other games quite like it on the market, which is why perhaps, we feel so strongly about it.

With Paralives on the horizon, EA may eventually change its tune, but realistically, Paralives may not come out in time to change current practices, particularly since there is speculation that the Sims 5 will be announced sometime soon. In any case, I truly hope that Paralives does add some pressure to EA's bottom line because, imo they have become very complacent about the quality of their product and that doesn't give me much hope for the future of the Sims 5, no matter what upgrades and technical improvements are made.

With regards to my second point, creative expression:

I sincerely believe the artists and producers on the Sims are trying (within the the bounds of corporate policy and the limited resources allotted to them for each pack) to provide us with an entertaining gaming experience.

Satisfying simmers is likely to be a very difficult task, because as we have seen in the many posts in this thread, opinions on what is actually wanted from the game seems to vary greatly. It can't be easy for the Devs to meet everyone's expectations, especially when they know they will be criticised for their decisions, no matter what they choose and particularly when they're likely not the one's responsible for making the corporate decisions.

In my experience, creative people need to be happy, inspired and engaged in a project to do their best work. Dev's can't make exactly the same thing in the same way, year after year and still remain fresh. Repetition inevitably leads to burnout, which is why they choose in part to re-imagine previous packs. Yet, many people on the forums seem to want exactly the same pack and content as they've had in previous versions of the game with little or no variance. The Devs are never going to be happy if they're forced to be automatons churning out the same thing time after time, while constantly being criticised for making difficult decisions.

Having said that, it is clear that many expected features are still missing from the game. I personally feel deeply aggrieved that so much was excluded from the base game at launch (compared to earlier versions of the game). It was a foolish, egregious decision to remove so much, whatever their reasons were, but it didn't stop me from buying the game and presumably it didn't stop many of you from buying it either.

Furthermore, I contend that the Dev's are listening to us. Many old features have been reintroduced and many more items may yet be pending. It just isn't happening quickly enough.

I know that people are deeply frustrated, because they have been waiting for a long time, for things like active babies to arrive, something that should have been a fundamental base game feature, but I think that it comes back to profits again.

If they give us one thing, they can't give us something else. Its the old time-money equation. How much time does it take to produce a particular item, like bunk beds, if it takes too long, then the cost of that pack, in terms of production time, will go up, so less content can be produced in the pack, which they know people hate, so they push back the development of difficult items, hoping we'll forget about them.

Take cars, for instance, I would love to see cars in the game, but I know that with the loading screens it won't be a very fulfilling gameplaying experience. For that reason, many people may feel that the money for a car stuff or game pack, simply isn't worth the cost.

The devs have to make decision about issues like this all the time. It is logical to assume that they will choose items that they believe will please as many people as possible and for these reasons, some items may never get produced. Finally, from what I've read about the limitations of the Sims 4 game platform, it may not even be possible for them to produce some of the things that are frequently requested, like horses and other farm animals. Even in the Sims 3 cows and chickens were added as items as I recall.

• Options
    LeaselmaryLeaselmary Posts: 108 Member
    edited October 2020
    Every time I read something like this I feel like someone trying to gaslight me.

As far as I remember EA added in free updates a lot of things players asked for, like gardeners, firefighters, landscape tool (it was VERY wanted, ok?), clepto trait, ladders, stacked windows, we are getting plaatforms pretty soon. It is a fair point to say that all of this should have been in the basegame. But it wasn't. So people had to ask and demand. And clearly EA was listening. We would never get ladders if it wasn't.

The themes of the packs are usually something that was requested again and again in the community (Batoo is the sad exeption). But ppl asked for vampires. And restaraunts. And spas. And apartments, Uni, Season and Pets. And Latin culture. I do remember a healthy amount of players asking for ecology like since... sims 2 actually. People were asking for ecology features since sims 2. And Snow Vacation is also something a lot of players asked for.

There are lot of players, a lot of demands, there is no way ALL of them will be satisfied. But some will be. So the vibe I'm getting from letters like this is not "why EA isn't listening to players", but "why EA has listened to the next player and not me."
  • Options
    CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Leaselmary wrote: »
    Every time I read something like this I feel like someone trying to gaslight me.

As far as I remember EA added in free updates a lot of things players asked for, like gardeners, firefighters, landscape tool (it was VERY wanted, ok?), clepto trait, ladders, stacked windows, we are getting plaatforms pretty soon. It is a fair point to say that all of this should have been in the basegame. But it wasn't. So people had to ask and demand. And clearly EA was listening. We would never get ladders if it wasn't.

The themes of the packs are usually something that was requested again and again in the community (Batoo is the sad exeption). But ppl asked for vampires. And restaraunts. And spas. And apartments, Uni, Season and Pets. And Latin culture. I do remember a healthy amount of players asking for ecology like since... sims 2 actually. People were asking for ecology features since sims 2. And Snow Vacation is also something a lot of players asked for.

There are lot of players, a lot of demands, there is no way ALL of them will be satisfied. But some will be. So the vibe I'm getting from letters like this is not "why EA isn't listening to players", but "why EA has listened to the next player and not me."

The free updates could have been more productive, instead of Maxis doing what they wanted, such as competitions and so called challenges, they could have had most of that stuff done in the first year.

We were told there would be free content each month, it's a deal Maxis has with EA as part of Live Service, but for many months at a time over many years, there were no free updates from month to month. But we see articles where both Rachel and even Lyndsay, when she took over, went through a list of things they had done for players....just dismissing they charged players $60-$80 the first couple of years..so there was nothing 'free' about any of it. Defensive is my thoughts. Not only has Maxis failed the fanbase but the Live Service agreement.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Options
    @Leaselmary It's possible for EA to listen to some requests, yes, but they haven't listened to all of them. A majority of players have wanted babies for a long time (6 years), but we still have bassinet-bound babies. Are they getting better at listening? Yes. While it wasn't a good move to exclude so many things from the base game, if they can make up for it and add things back, I'm sure the amount of people complaining/criticizing the game will decrease significantly.

If they were truly listening, I don't think so many people would be upset.
    。゚゚・。・゚゚。
    .~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~..~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'♥'~•.,,.•~'
     ゚・。・
  • Options
    @Cinebar I went and look at the list of content. It's an intresting reading. Shows what was not in the base game and came with an update.

I'm ok with ppl complaining about the game, but I'm not ok with ppl making false claims about it. "EA never gives players what they ask" is a false claim.

@Schmoloop as I was saying it is literally impossible to satisfy every request.
  • Options
    @Leaselmary I'm aware it's impossible to satisfy every request, what I meant to say is they should listen to what a majority of the community says, not every person. Like with my baby example, not everyone wants that, but a majority of the community does.
    。゚゚・。・゚゚。
     ゚・。・
  • Options
    Ray_TraceRay_Trace Posts: 509 Member
    My biggest beef with how The Sims 4 is is how ridiculously pricey some of these extra packs can get, such as Get to Work or Eco Lifestyle. 40 dollars a pop for them, as I currently check their prices on Steam? I know many of us like Seasons or Get Together, I do too, but even I don't think they change up gameplay to an extent that they're worth the same MSRP the base game itself, and as much as other, smaller full-priced games out there that give you the entire experience for that price. Granted, I'm pretty ignorant of how often they go on sale and the extent of how much they get their price dropped, but I really don't think their MSRP should be that much to begin with.

I think all of the suggested content is good and would add extra fun to the game, but I also think of how much EA will charge us if they do decide to add every commonly requested feature: the full game may even end up in the thousands range at some point.
    A1hnP0t.png
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    @Schmoloop it's not so obvious what the majority want. Even with the baby thing.

Does the majority wants babies to change or would it like babies to stay that way? It's hard to tell. People don't comment under every youtube video how much they want something to STAY the way it is.

For example, I am happy with babies. Would I go to comment under Snowy Escape trailer to shout out "Hooray! I love Sims 4 babies! Great JOB EA! Keep this babies where they belong! No more babies on the floor, yes, Sims 4, yes, you got it so right!" No. I wouldn't. That would be silly. On the other hand, people who are not happy would go and tell just how much they are frustrated about babies. You can count their comments. But how do you count ppl who don't write anything about babies because they are fine with them?

The majority of players don't go to forums to take part in discussions. The majority is silent. It votes with the money. As long as sales go up, EA has every right to assume it's doing great job and simmers are happy and have a lot of fun playing the game. Not buying something is the best feedback you can give.
  • Options
    @Leaselmary While that is true, simmers are very vocal about what they want changed on platforms like Reddit, Twitter, here, and the comment section of the Journey To Batuu trailer. It is not normal for so many players to be upset with how the game is. It's hard to tell what the majority is, but the best way I know of is comparing the amount of positive comments to the negative. Since The Sims 4 has been getting so much criticism, I'd expect the people who like the game to defend it, or speak up and say they like the game. It's also possible for people to dislike The Sims 4 but not leave any comments, too.
    。゚゚・。・゚゚。
     ゚・。・
  • Options
    @Schmoloop there were a lot of negative comments about sims 2&3 as well. I am an old simmer, I do remember that. And I do speak up a lot of times, because I like the game. But mostly I vote with the money, meaning buying packs I want for the game I love. The only pack I haven't purchased is Batoo, and I can survive 1 of 35 pack not beeing something I want. But I did had a lot of fun with Eco Living, creating "bad hoods", putting my low income sims in it and enjoying the chaos with everyone fighting, drinking and stealing :D
  • Options
    DragonCat159DragonCat159 Posts: 1,896 Member
    edited October 2020
    Sindocat wrote: »
    Please do not present requests as "things we all want", or even "things many of us want". I am fine with babies as furniture. I don't miss cars. I don't care for Superheroes. Eco Lifestyle DID include off-grid tools I had wanted. I DO like a Star Wars themed vacation world. I do NOT want a bar or massage table I place in a generic lot to spawn an attendant until I ask for one.
    What? That's fine you don't want, but why are trying to put someone's request down. I can just ask the same to stop expressing what you and people of your interest don't want. Why get fussy over the fact that many, which factually is true, that overwhelming number of ppl do want improved babies and functional cars?

NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2020
    @Schmoloop it's not so obvious what the majority want. Even with the baby thing.

Does the majority wants babies to change or would it like babies to stay that way? It's hard to tell. People don't comment under every youtube video how much they want something to STAY the way it is.
    How is it hard to tell when it's HIGHLY and very FREQUENTLY demanded/suggested request/complaint on the forums?? Tons of simmers want babies to be free. It isn't obvious why developers/gurus dont act upon suggestions when spend magority of their work-time on TWITTER, oppose to... you know.... respond whether they are or not (which they aren't) really are sure to check every so often THE FORUM and collect the feedback from here oppose to stupid that they seem to be throwing those dum b voting polls a gazillion times per year. I repeat, they make them too many of them needed per year? Doesn't that arise you suspicion that Maxis is just playing du mb?
    NNpYlHF.jpg
  • Options
    @Schmoloop there were a lot of negative comments about sims 2&3 as well. I am an old simmer, I do remember that. And I do speak up a lot of times, because I like the game. But mostly I vote with the money, meaning buying packs I want for the game I love. The only pack I haven't purchased is Batoo, and I can survive 1 of 35 pack not beeing something I want. But I did had a lot of fun with Eco Living, creating "bad hoods", putting my low income sims in it and enjoying the chaos with everyone fighting, drinking and stealing :D

Maybe there were so many comments because people actually found a problem with the game? Neither Sims 2 or 3 are without their flaws, there are things that may annoy simmers like the lagginess in Sims 3 or the time glitch when changing lots.
    。゚゚・。・゚゚。
     ゚・。・
  • Options
    DoodlyDoofusDoodlyDoofus Posts: 1,183 Member
    The problem with "Give the people what they want" is I don't want half the packs you mentioned in your post. Now you know what the Sims team feels.
  • Options
    @DragonCat159 you completely missed the point, did you? Ton of ppl demanding free babies doesn't mean that this ton is in fact the majority.
  • Options
    BMSOBMSO Posts: 3,273 Member
    Honestly there are a few things that I would love to see but sometimes ya can't have your cake and eat it too, you only get a slice. Though I'm probably one of the majority that would actually want to see a few of the play features improved like the spell casters and more pranks to be added. That's just how it is for me but I'm not demanding it I'd just like to see it happen at some point and if not, oh well.
    The problem with "Give the people what they want" is I don't want half the packs you mentioned in your post. Now you know what the Sims team feels.

Same and pretty much.
    catitude5 wrote: »
    Did anyone see that new mod called Brookheights? It's open world, cars, a lot of things that EA said they can't do.

Sure have, waiting for the public release.
    Bmso85's emporium - mysims4studios

• Options
    edited October 2020
    @DragonCat159 you completely missed the point, did you? Ton of ppl demanding free babies doesn't mean that this ton is in fact the majority.

But a TON didn't ask for babies to be reverted back to TS1 for TS2 and TS3. Probably few, but not a lot. And for TS4 it hardly comes off as a "thank you" how babies are in positive feedback threads if you just look them up. Conclusion? TS4 do indeed suck for magority.
    NNpYlHF.jpg