Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Lag after visiting certain lot?

dreamyaridreamyari Posts: 41 Member
Okay. I'm not sure if anybody will be able to help me, this might just be one of those Sims 3 things I have to live with, but I wanted to try anyway.
I had been playing the game for a while at full graphic settings with a small handful of CC. Everything would run absolutely perfectly. Zero issues whatsoever. My sims got invited to a party where I started experiencing a bit of lag. Nothing too crazy, and I put it down to the party lot being bigger than our home lot (which thinking about it now doesn't make sense anyway because I was able to play on larger community lots just fine) and didn't think much of it. My sims went home and I was still experiencing lag, so I figured it was because the world was covered in snow. I was disappaointed but reluctently disabled snow in game anyway, and waited for it to melt. It didn't help. It started hailing so I figured "hey maybe it's the hail and I'm just having bad luck with the weather right now", disabling hail didn't fix anything. At this point I start to panic because I realise I'm going to have to start playing with outside factors if I want my game to work properly. Here is everything I have attempted:
  • Clearing out sims' inventories (I only play with two sims and this seemed to fix it for a brief moment until it didn't)
  • Playing without CC
  • Making a new save and seeing if the lag was present there (it wasn't, but granted I only tested it for a few moments because I was in a rush to figure out the issue)
  • Clearing cache files and other TS3 files that have been confirmed safe for deleting
  • Updating my drivers
  • Lowering the graphics settings
  • Playing without store content enabled
  • Running as admin
  • Playing without other applications running on my PC
To clarify, the lagging is the kind where the game runs fine for a few moments and then the game freezes with the cursor still being able to move, but not interact with the UI/game. This freeze lasts for up to five seconds and then things go back to normal fora few moments, and repeat.
I have NRaas/Overwatch installed to help, have done from the beginning.
The only thing that has changed on my PC since this lag started happening was installing a new game, and I'm not sure how likely it is that files from that game could affect the performance of my Sims 3 save, so I can give more details if anybody feels it's worth it.

As I said before, I'm not really certain I can fix this. My gut is telling me it's just the consequence of having a save file for x amount of time and the game is trying to deal with all the background relationships etc. but I wanted to see if anybody has had a similar issue they were able to fix, or if they can see anything I've missed from my troubleshooting. This game has been a bit of a hyperfixation for me lately, with it being a sole comfort through some rough times and I would hate to have to abandon it without trying everything.
Thanks in advance and I hope you're all having a lovely timezone!
☆ it is only with the heart that one can see rightly ★
❀ advocate + founder of TS3 Renaissance
- they/them -
TS3 username; britishpinkkitty
ʜᴀʀᴘᴇʀ ʟᴇɢᴀᴄʏ; https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/981894/harper-legacy#latest
Post edited by EA_Cade on

Comments

• dreamyaridreamyari Posts: 41 Member
    update: i fixed this! after two days of struggling and trying countless things with zero hope, using the reset all option on nraas fixed everything. just wanted to mention the fix in case anybody else has the same issue in the future, as i didn't find anything while scouring the internet.
    ☆ it is only with the heart that one can see rightly ★
    ❀ advocate + founder of TS3 Renaissance
    - they/them -
    TS3 username; britishpinkkitty
    ʜᴀʀᴘᴇʀ ʟᴇɢᴀᴄʏ; https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/981894/harper-legacy#latest
  • suzsessuzses Posts: 2,433 Member
    edited October 2020
    I'm glad that worked for you. :) I don't usually have lag either, and on the odd occasion I do experience something like you just did, Error Trap usually resets someone (a stuck someone) a short while later, and it goes away. Anytime anything gets a little off that Error Trap doesn't catch, a town reset like you did usually takes care of it for me. You're right that worlds/saves start to have some issues over time, but the nraas mods really do a good job of keeping a lot of that under control. Sometimes people move their households periodically to another world for a fresh start, too, which can be helpful. I was thinking you recently came back to S3 and this is probably a fairly new save for you, though, so I wouldn't expect you to be at point where you'd need to do that.

Edited to add: I realized later it's probably Overwatch that does the unsticking/resetting :D but anyway, both mods have really helped my games over the years.
    Post edited by suzses on
    Ackney-upon-Sherne Collab on the forum here
    My Sims 3 Studio
    My forum builds thread
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top