Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Underwater Lots in Island Living

Comments

• SimyimSimyim Posts: 142 Member
    Hi there, @Metior_Ice!

Wow absolutely love your merman! And so original the idea of creating underwater parties. I agree that aquatic sims could do lots of incredible things under the water! 😁 As for clothing, do you have packs like Get Famous, Realm of Magic or Journey to Batuu? If most of your sims live in Sulani, I agree islander clothes are the best for them (specially the ethnical swim short skirt! :)). But if you have forest/Nordic ones as well, you can dress them up with the apocalyptic pants from get famous (really cool if you combine them with the net top for mermen), realm of magic tall boots and broken sweaters.

As for the buildings, I don’t know, I’ afraid. If it helps, I think twisted mexi has a mod to build basements and pools on the ocean lots. And I discover a cool trick if you want to create a swimmable pool with fish for your story purposes!
    1/ create a pool.
    2/ add an aquarium inside, on the floor (or more, depending on the pool size) from build and buy and stock it with different fish. You can also buy individual fish tanks and place the tropical animals you fish on the sea! When placing the aquarium, reduce its size at maximum with the corresponding shortcut key. You will see a tiny aquarium now with full size fish swimming above it.
    - cover the aquarium glass with rocks and plants and that’s it! :)
  • SimyimSimyim Posts: 142 Member
    If only we could have that on sims, @Scobre! :) Thanks for sharing!
  • Metior_IceMetior_Ice Posts: 3,103 Member
    edited September 2020
    @Simyim Those are some interesting ideas.

As for the merfolk, depending on where they are, they will autonomously change into whatever their swimwear is and seek out water. More often than not, the mermen in my game are almost always shirtless unless I manually change their outfit or they do one of the few things that causes them to autonomously change into a different outfit. I can always add the top for mermen, but it's only one outfit.

Also, I'm a former varsity swimmer, and believe me when I say, the extra clothing will not help anyone in the water. The only tops I would use for mermen include skin tight tops made with nylon or spandex material.

I spent an enormous amount of time creating outfits for my main mermen that they would almost never use if they had access to somewhere they could swim. A lot of the designs have functionality and their automatic behavior in mind.
    Post edited by Metior_Ice on
    Merstyle Gnome Lightning Strike

Merstyle Busking with a Guitar

Merstyle Working on a Project and Sitting on the Ground

Merstyle Homework and Tutoring

Aqua Colored Lights
    These Lights can help create an Underwater Aesthetic. I'd imagine that any tech used by merfolk is waterproof.

50395963443_76b42c09ba_b.jpgb06ba7c0-01f6-11eb-ac73-0a79512fe22e by Metior Ice, on Flickr

MerStyle Handy Skill

MerStyle Karaoke

MerStyle Romance

MerStyle Chess
    edited September 2020
    After some thought, I think more outfits for merfolk would be nice. Given their lower half is a fish tail, outfits that make sense in the water are extremely limited, especially for the mermen.

I admit that most of the mermen in my game are shirtless in their merform, and I do that to avoid repeating the same style. Then again, most male swimwear is shirtless, so guys tend to get away with it.

For the mermaids, I almost always use the scale top that matches their tail.

I have another thread that would be great for this discussion, but in terms of content for a new pack or add one to Sulani, this makes sense here.

I have over 34 different mermaids, mermen and a few merboys saved to my gallery. I have not shared all of them in my new threads.
  • BlkBarbiegalBlkBarbiegal Posts: 7,924 Member
    I have not played with mermaids yet but I really like this thread. I think the one guy (can't spell his super long name) in Sulani is a merman but he told my sim he was in a relationship. I, I mean my sim was pretty bummed out. @Metior_Ice do you know who he's seeing?
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    I've been following this thread. I think if any of your suggestions were implemented it would be absolutely amazing!!😍😍😍 and you're right. .mermaids don't look at that strange doing everyday activities. It think it should be faily easy to give them an underwater lot?
    I LOVE my mermaid. All of this would be a dream come true
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    I wouldn't mind a patch with a mermaid update too. Aquatic outfits and steampunk outfits with an underwater pack would be fun.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    I have not played with mermaids yet but I really like this thread. I think the one guy (can't spell his super long name) in Sulani is a merman but he told my sim he was in a relationship. I, I mean my sim was pretty bummed out. @Metior_Ice do you know who he's seeing?

In my game, he wasn’t in a relationship?

Metior_Ice wrote: »

Interesting. He probably lied to my sim when he found out she was a Landgraab.🤔🤨

Thank you. I’m going to put them together...

Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
    @BlkBarbiegal I was working on updating one of my old households for my current play style. I pulled Ukupanipo from my game. In my current shared save he’s named Panipo, but once I realized that I accidentally gave a shark god the name for a vegan meal, I decided to rename him Mako.

Anyways, my core merfolk household are a little different. They sorta autonomously filled townie roles.

Andria, Fin, and Lyric are a friendly merfamily that would be like an oceanic, Scottish counterpart to the Kealoha Premade Household.

Panipo (I mean Mako) and Adrian are basically beach bums glued to the beach.

Delphin and Nalani are more involved in the Island. Delphin is a conservationist while Nalani is both a Child of the Island and Sea. The trait combination gives her unique involvement with Sulani Events and etc.

Maria Eldora is the odd one out. She was the reason it took too long to update the household. She’s not non-binary, but she’s not a conformist either. None of the skirts feminine or masculine look right with her. In fact, I’d go so far to say that she prefers clothing in the feminine category with just the right amount of masculinity. Needless to say, trying to create an outfit that is functional and reflects the behaviors I expect of my Sims is easier said than done. She is not a sim that makes sense to include the skirt in the design like the others. It breaks the vibe.

This may require rethinking some things. For merfolk, pants of any kind make less sense because of the tail. If I were to imagine clothes for mermen and mermaids, I would start with what can actually be worn while they have a tail, and that article of clothing is a skirt or skirt-like clothing. From there, I would imagine the combination of styles that could work. Unfortunately, a household of 8 with both mermen and mermaids in it will use up most of the good combinations.

I really want to avoid doing too much to have my mersims blend in too much with human sims. Part of it is because I want my mersims to have their own world, and the other part of it is that they are mermen and mermaids from the ocean. How on earth are they supposed to know what I’d normal among humans after spending most of their lives in the sea or living among other merfolk and elemental spirits. I mean, my main sims are twin mermen with a merman father and an Island Elemental Mother. During a trip to the beach, their normal was learning how to summon lava bombs, conjure thunderstorms, and control the weather.

When they weren’t playing with magic and zapping the beach with lightning bolts, they were singing and playing music. Both of them are expert singers, and the non-creative one is competent with playing the guitar.

Dylan and Zephyr grew up living with things that couldn’t be normal for human sims.... breathe...

With a pack that includes underwater lots, I imagine finding the right balance of premades would be a struggle, but I think it can only help the pack if they push through it and find out something that works. Outfits specifically designed for merfolk are sorely needed.
    edited September 2020
    Metior_Ice wrote: »

Interesting. He probably lied to my sim when he found out she was a Landgraab.🤔🤨

Thank you. I’m going to put them together...

Well, it’s possible he lied. I think the Child of the Ocean trait would help you. Sims with that trait prefer the company of Merfolk and Dolphins. Merfolk can be very difficult when it comes to building relationships. I usually always play with that trait, and I never had any issues with any mers, at least, they haven’t used their abilities on my merfolk.

The Darkfins are different. I created the family with the Evil and Mean trait and they specifically show up to lots just to enjoy the misery. They still don’t use their abilities on my merfolk without me making them do it.
    Post edited by Metior_Ice on
    Their friendship was high, but he still dodged the “are you a mermaid” question. lol nice challenge.

Anywho, your merfolks seems fun. As far as occult’s, I have more aliens running around.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,464 Member
    edited September 2020

😂.
    @BlkBarbiegal Just convince him to break up with whoever he’s seeing. I do it all the time. With the lady sims. B)
    Post edited by CAPTAIN_NXR7 on
    @Metior_Ice I just realized that another reason it really bugs me that there’s no underwater gameplay for Merfolk is the fact that it exists in CAS, albeit in a very subtle way. I only thought about it after looking at your profile image. When editing Merfolk in CAS the sunlight coming from above being filtered by water suggests we are in an underwater realm with the mermaid. We’re taken out of that experience once we return to live mode.
    It’s such a missed opportunity.

Also, like others I’m very much enjoying the posts in this thread! 👍🏼

😂.
    @BlkBarbiegal Just convince him to break up with whoever he’s seeing. I do it all the time. With the lady sims. B)
    oh believe you me @CAPTAIN_NXR7 I'ma hook them up whenever I rotate back to her household. lol I want to say I'm convinced but uh my sim is suppose to convince him. I keep wanting to make this about me! :# ahh!

Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie

I keep wanting to make this about me! :# ahh!

I know what you’re saying. I never play as my simself and yet I always play as myself....at the end of the day I don’t care what my sim or anybody else wants. >:)
    Good luck with getting those two hooked up! Keep us posted! :D

I keep wanting to make this about me! :# ahh!

I know what you’re saying. I never play as my simself and yet I always play as myself....at the end of the day I don’t care what my sim or anybody else wants. >:)
    Good luck with getting those two hooked up! Keep us posted! :D
    right lol >:) <~this
    muwahaha

Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
    edited September 2020
    Their friendship was high, but he still dodged the “are you a mermaid” question. lol nice challenge.

Anywho, your merfolks seems fun. As far as occult’s, I have more aliens running around.

Try the “ordinary” conch shell it will not only help with merfolk fishing, but it makes them reveal what they are.
    edited September 2020
    @Metior_Ice I just realized that another reason it really bugs me that there’s no underwater gameplay for Merfolk is the fact that it exists in CAS, albeit in a very subtle way. I only thought about it after looking at your profile image. When editing Merfolk in CAS the sunlight coming from above being filtered by water suggests we are in an underwater realm with the mermaid. We’re taken out of that experience once we return to live mode.
    It’s such a missed opportunity.

Also, like others I’m very much enjoying the posts in this thread! 👍🏼

Yeah, the CAS mode for merfolk is pretty deceptive. I’m still finding it frustrating to find enough variety for Merfolk outfits.

One household has 3 mermaids 4 mermen and 1 merboy (Teen merman)

Another household I created has 8 mermaids

The next household has 4 mermen and 2 merboys (Teen Mermen Twins)

Then, one of my played households has Calum Zalrian, the Father of the Twins Dylan and Zephyr Zalrian. I created Calum with the Child of the Islands Trait which is required to get the Sulani Mana trait from the children of Island Elementals without cheats.

As my Main Sims, Dylan and Zephyr have a number of unique abilities that would be hard to get with auto aging turned on. First, they are both mermen, and I guaranteed that by turning the Island Elemental into a mermaid. Turning a ghost mortal was the hardest part and I had both the Elemental and Calum laugh themselves to death before succeeding. Thank goodness for saves because they sped into marriage so fast that the happy buffs made the slightest joke deadly. Calum also had the Sulani Breeze buff for 2 sim days.

Sulani Breeze is an Island Elemental Judgement that seems to make a sim more like able while also giving them a playful moodlet that overrides other moodlets for 2 days. The other moodlets from elementals can be Sad, Confident, and Flirty.

Because Dylan and Zephyr both possess the Sulani Mana Trait, they can summon Lava Bombs and instantly evolve garden plants. They can also pass judgement on any sim with the Child of the Islands trait. They always deny Nalani’s connection to the Islands and make her sad.

As mermen, they can call rainstorms, thunderstorms, and clear skies. Thanks to one of the Seasons Satisfaction Rewards Traits, they are both Storm Chasers and their ability to call thunderstorms anywhere at anytime makes it very easy for them to get access to the Bring the Lightning ability from getting struck twice. They are immune to death by lightning and get energized after being struck. They are also immune to death by heat and freezing and enjoy the extreme conditions with a happy moodlet during heat waves and freezing temperatures.

They have the Island Living Aspiration reward trait Laid-Back, so they will never get tense.

They have the Sirens Songs to make sims Tense, Sad, Flirty, and Inspired. I wish they could trigger more moodlets in other sims. Might be an opportunity to include a fear Moodlet.

They can summon an Ocean Threat in the water and scare a sim out of the water if they don’t drown. Another opportunity for the fear emotion.

They can sing the Siren’s Call and drag other sims under.

They can enhance the chances of catching rarer fish with a higher quality with aquatic lure.

Thanks to their maxed out Singing Skill, they can stack Charmer’s Lullaby with a Serenade.

Dylan represents creativity and currently has the expressionist trait. When I’m done with him, he will be able to create decor that influences emotions at will and influence emotions with music. He’ll be able to capture life in a Book of Life and write a book that captures any emotion. He is Creatively Gifted.

Zephyr represents logic and reason and currently has the ability to instantly fully upgrade any items. With this ability and the right upgrade parts, he can do things like upgrade a weather machine to change the seasons themselves. He’s very handy with computers, and when I wasn’t watching him he hacked into the Landgrab Systems and successfully stole his money back after trolling the tech forums. He’s a legendary gamer. Zephyr is Mentally Gifted.

They both have all 5 of the positive character value traits and 4 different ways to make a friendly introduction. They are both Socially Gifted. They don’t have the Good Trait, but their character value traits make them nice to have around.

They are immune to death by catching on fire thanks to their Naturalist Trait.

They are immune to death by mortification thanks to their Shameless Trait.

They are physically gifted and are very able swimming in the water.

I’m still developing Dylan and Zephyr, and I have more aspirations and traits to unlock. They are extremely powerful sims, and thanks to growing up in a happy family, they get a boost from being near each other.

Needless to say, the right combination of traits can give merfolk sims a lot of fun things they can do. However, a lot of what they can do is not uniquely because they are mermen, and that’s what I would love to seek them improve with the inclusion of underwater venues and residential lots.

They need more merfolk outfits too. I don’t like having merfolk that look too much the same because they have the same limited number of things to wear in their merform. I definitely think the variety starts to run out after 3 full households.
    edited September 2020
    I play on the Playstation 4, so even if these mods interest me, I'm not able to make use of them. Also, trying to mess around with mods and custom content is not something I want to attempt. I'm not exactly great with working on computers or messing with software and hardware. I'm better at writing and using features provided in programs rather than modifying the programs themselves.

Spinning Plumbob has some mods for merfolk that I think would be a major step in the right direction for merfolk.

https://modthesims.info/m/5443668

The biggest reason I want children and toddlers to have a merform is because it would make the most sense for an underwater merfolk household. The form would allow them to be a part of the underwater world without it being too strange. Land dwellings could still exist for merfolk that have kids with a human sim. Toddlers would develop their swimming similar to walking on land. A trait system similar to Character Values in parenthood could exist for Toddlers and Children as a substitute for mermadic powers.

Merfolk that prefer to be underwater would be very at home underwater and in the water. This could result in a powerful positive moodlet while underwater. Merfolk that prefer to be in the water might get dehydrated faster and receive a powerful negative moodlet from spending too much time on land. The moodlet would go away after returning to an underwater lot. This might be similar to the Aspiration Trait from Location Aspirations. This trait could simply be called Sea Dweller.

Merfolk that prefer to be on land would be more at home in their human form and be comfortable living on land. This could also result in a powerful positive moodlet while on land. Merfolk that prefer to be on land might get dehydrated slower and receive a powerful negative moodlet from spending too much time underwater. This moodlet could be like the Child of the Ocean's "Marooned Moodlet". The moodlet would go away after returning to a lot on land. This might be similar to the Aspiration Trait from Location Aspirations. This trait could simply be called Land Dweller.

Merfolk fresh out of CAS and merchildren that balance their life between land and sea will age up to teens without the Sea Dweller or Land Dweller trait. They won't get a boost from being on land or in the water, but they also won't be harmed from being in one place or the other.

Whether or not a trait is gained would depend on whether or not they spend enough time in one area to bring the gauge within range for a trait.

As for developing play a style like this, it would depend on the Merchildren to actually have a merform they can learn to prefer or not. And before anyone asks, Disney's Ariel is a perfect example of a merchild that develops a preference for the human world in spite of what they are.

Merman Simmer has some cool designs, but I'd be content with a smaller version of the existing designs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCIMzjstrec

Merfolk could benefit from new tail designs, but a variety of tails exist in the game. In my own writing, mermen would wear things like the netting or a kind of waistband around where their torso transitions into a tail, something like a belt. Mermen would wear less than the mermaids, but they would still have more options. On the other side of things, mermaids in CAS have a lot more to work with. Multiple different tops exist without the island living content added on. So, going into details about what mermaids can wear is less of an issue than figuring out what a merman will wear. Based on my experience as a swimmer, real life merman with a silicone merman tail, and my frequent visits to the beach, there are only two tops that make any sense for a merman, the island living rash guard and the netting. Other than that, it makes more sense for them to wear nothing, but a bracelet or necklace. People might not think about it, but if people wore most of their clothes in a pool, they might run the risk of drowning. A lot of clothing has material that absorbs water without drying quickly. Clothes people wear can become extremely heavy and difficult to swim in. For a merman, the choice between struggling with a weighted shirt and being shirtless is obvious. Depending on the material, this can change. I can always imagine that the clothing is made from something that ignores the effects of absorbing water, but that's a taxing way to make sense of things.

"Merfolk Fishing"

I have a Vampire Sim with more abilities than he should without cheats. He's more than capable of murdering other Sims, and it required cheating his needs 3 times twice to enrage Dylan and Zephyr long enough to trigger an Emotional Death. Dylan and Zephyr have the emotional control trait. Dylan can play almost any instrument to bring his emotions under control, and Zephyr can manage his anger by ranting logically. The twins simply wouldn't get tipped over the edge easily and resurrecting them to restore Sulani was the theme for the Legacy. Anyways, Damion's vampiric weaknesses causes his thirst need to decay faster and requires drinking plasma multiple times to satisfy his thirst. On the other side of things, I play rotational, and even with the burrowed time while I play another household for a few sim hours, it has been over a week since Reef was supposed to die. The house is set up for him to spend time in his merform more often, and the vampire bite reverted his hair color back to normal. I'm assuming that Elder Merfolk can't die while they are in merform at this point. I'm about to turn back the clock on the parents and move them out and turn them into townies because they might outlive their sons if the sons don't turn out to be immortal mermen too. This isn't working well for a legacy. I was partly hoping to place their Urns in a shrine, but I might have to straight up murder them at this point. Maybe they can swim around until they are dangerously exhausted, but that might take a while because Reef, an elder merman, was frolicking around in the ocean in the middle of a thunderstorm with no signs of fatigue, and he can just sleep in the ocean to recover before frolicking again.

Anyways, Damion will demonstrate how to properly use an "Ordinary" Conch Shell to hunt the fishies. It literally brought the meal to him.

First Calum

Kylen's Thoughts: "Oh Crinky!"

Kylen pulled the old switcheroo with his twin brother Rylan.

Next he attacked Reef who proceed to joyfully swim around despite low energy... Actually, when I reloaded the household immediately after recovered energy sleeping in the water.

I still hunting every family member, Kylen is swimming in the distance. When the household isn't merwoke, the mersims look like Olympic Gold Medal swimmers in the pool.

Damion had to use the "Ordinary" Conch Shell to catch Kylen. Kylen would even stare at Damion in the water where he couldn't bite him. The little guppy was difficult to catch.
    Damion: "Get out of the water so I can drink you plasma."

Kylen: "No."

Damion: "Get out of the water so I can drink your plasma, please."

Kylen: "Let me think about it... No."

50401496963_7c1a0a3c81_b.jpg6d0d59e0-02c0-11eb-b220-066dca9f8100 by Metior Ice, on Flickr

Damion: "Okay, you leave me no choice."

50401867976_65509972f2_w.jpg6d0d59e0-02c0-11eb-b220-066dca9f8100 by Metior Ice, on Flickr

50401170968_c600bca4b7_k.jpg4efb23b0-02c0-11eb-a55a-0a2714755afa by Metior Ice, on Flickr

50402023887_b07ec18568_k.jpg8ddbf0f0-02c0-11eb-9f49-0a8426b3333e by Metior Ice, on Flickr

50402023822_740fb13995_k.jpga827a940-02c0-11eb-9fe9-029c91a3edee by Metior Ice, on Flickr

50401868046_95ff9dc98a_k.jpg3dacdfb0-02c3-11eb-b58c-0ad899c8d0ea by Metior Ice, on Flickr

This wasn't the intended result...

Froliking...

MerStyle Running

MerStyle Passing Out

Terrible Storytime with Neighbors and a Haunted Book

More Merstyle Karaoke
  • SofieSimsxSofieSimsx Posts: 38 Member
    Great thread! Thank you for sharing all your ideas.
    Scobre wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind a patch with a mermaid update too. Aquatic outfits and steampunk outfits with an underwater pack would be fun.

What's the name of that book, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea? Let me do a quick google search... Yes, Captain Nemo and the Nautilus. It kinda scares me how I know the name, but haven't seen the movie or read the book.
    edited October 2020
    Are there foods/drinks you won't allow your mersims to have?

I have a household of The 3 Bears with Goldilocks. It might be interesting seeing "kelpies" roam around in my game and also have the cheat, if there is one to unlock hidden CAS assets.
    Me on:
    Twitch jovi_jov
    Twitter BarbieSimmy
    Origin SimsBarbie
    edited October 2020
    Are there foods/drinks you won't allow your mersims to have?

I have a household of The 3 Bears with Goldilocks. It might be interesting seeing "kelpies" roam around in my game and also have the cheat, if there is one to unlock hidden CAS assets.

My sims are vegetarians. I actively try to make them eat vegetarian meals. The way I see it, there are two types of merfolk diets. Merfolk that eat sea plants and merfolk that eat smaller fish.

Because my mersims are more like Children of the Ocean that are friends with fish, I have them avoid eating meat.

Granted, in my game, every lot has the cursed trait and cooking on a stove would almost always result in a fire. So, to avoid that, they eat harvestables, various salads, and various sandwiches. A well cared for garden can produce plenty of food with a high enough quality for a solid moodlet boost.