Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

I dislike that the game uses my played sims as working NPCs at community lots

It did not happen long ago. I guess it started with ECO Lifestyle, or the pack/patch before.

I have played my little community of 70+ households since TS4 release. That is 6 years, and I know these characters pretty well. My imagination goes into this, too, because in my game there is a lot going on that is not featured in the game. Such as my 5 years election. Recently the 5 Councillors were elected. They are all more or less successful politicians or business ppl, most of them from the higher social level.

It's rather disturbing when my group of UNI students visits the Gibbs Hill bar to celebrate that another term is done. Then to find one of the Councilors serving there as a bartender is breaking all my illusions. Edvin Phlum has run a successful business for many years and has now reached the regional Council, which is top of my community. He would NOT serve any bar. And why on earth should he serve a bar in Britechester while he lives at San Myshuno's Uptown? Would make more sense if the game picked a bartender from Britechester, if it is this important for the game to use played sims.

In my game there is a list of hundreds of NPC sims that was created by the game, never played by me, and never "heart-ed" by me, Why can't the game use one of those? It could in the past. I hope this is a bug and that it will be fixed, because it really harms the game. I never appreciated to see my Duchess walk the streets wearing a silly situation/festival costume, either, but it is in fact worse seeing my played sims as bartenders, vendors at the flee market, etc. Please leave it to me to decide whether any of my played sims shall serve a bar or sell globes at the outdoor market.
Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg

Comments

• logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited September 2020
    Strange, I thought that the game did not do that. I thought it only used sims that were not in your favorite households for NPC roles.
  • Flikka_FlikkaFlikka_Flikka Posts: 435 Member
    And when you actually do put your played Sims in those careers, you'll never see them working while playing other households. Go figure. I just want to be able to hire my own Sims for my businesses.
  • simvasionsimvasion Posts: 110 Member
    Have you made sure that all of the sims that you consider "played" sims are favourited in Manage Households by clicking the heart button? Usually the game will leave sims in this tab alone, while every sim in "Other Households" is considered an unplayed NPC and open to having their skills changed, relationships erased and jobs reassigned.

Also, the game has a ratio set for unemployed sims vs employed sims (which differs by age group). So for adult sims it's something like 80% employed and 20% unemployed. I found that when I had a lot of sims with jobs I had set, one day I found a whole bunch were randomly switching jobs because the game had made them unemployed.

Both of those things has been in the game since way before Eco Lifestyle. One thing I find immersion breaking is the new tendancy in recent packs to re-use sims for pseudo-jobs (it doesn't change their career, but puts them in a role of an NPC temporarily). Like for Eco Lifestyle, that's the NAP Inspector – there's no actual NPC career for that, it just seems to pick a random unemployed sim. In Get Famous, it does the same thing for bouncers guarding VIP doors. In Island Living, it does that a bunch for island events (but those are usually OK story-wise because it uses island sims "volunteering" to do things like run stalls for the community or be a lifeguard).
  • JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    The fix I used was to register them as self employed. I would set Vlad up as a pipe organ composer for example. I haven't done that lately so I don't know if it still works. You could give it a try.
  • keekee53keekee53 Posts: 4,328 Member
    Cynna wrote: »
    I truly despise that feature.

Once, I saw a Sim that I had created, carefully dressed, built a home for, and provided with a career, sleeping on a bench in Willow Creek Park in a ratty old wifebeater and something that looked like house slippers. I could've sworn that there was a stink cloud and flies circling her head. I nearly rage quit on the spot.

It still hurts my Simmy soul to see Sims what I have created parading around town in the most insane outfits and photobombing my screenshots. I shouldn't have to stop and use MCCC to change Sims back into their regular outfits simply so that I can take a picture. But put my Sims into a job that I didn't give them and you're going to tick me off.

One of the first Sims that I created was a singer/entertainer. She was pretty good at it, too. These days, she's hawking chimichangas or something at a food stall in the Spice District instead of continuing her singing career in Windenburg.

TS4 is beautiful to look at, but most days, it can turn a player's carefully laid out game into hot garbage.

LOL
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,447 Member
    I hate this too, it's very backwards. My Sims get selected for random bartending and yoga positions but when I want to hire them in retail or restaurants I'm not allowed.

Makes zero sense.
    #Team Occult
  • EnigmaOFFCEnigmaOFFC Posts: 58 Member
    Sorry, but what is situational outfit?
    Anyway, i really wish they would add a UI to the manage worlds to let us add/remove/edit who we want to be in each npc role and a warning that we can toggle on/off to tell us when one of them is dying so that we can add a new one.
  • DevSims91DevSims91 Posts: 470 Member
    I hope Sims 5 or SOMEONE on the Sims 4 team can fix this... Eventually, like I set a sim up as a bartender and I want to play a different family but I see a random sim instead... and if I see Mortimer Goth in a neighborhood where he doesn’t belong doing townie stuff I’m going to crack!
  • Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    None of my favorited played Sims have ever appeared in NPC roles. However, my own created unplayed but favorited Sims are given NPC roles. Also, favorited premades with real jobs living in their original homes are given NPC roles. I don't think it should happen.

Supposedly Sims favorited by clicking the heart won't be given NPC roles, right? Perhaps I'm mistaken and they're only safe from being culled? Anyway, I rarely see game generated, unplayed, unfavorited townies with interactive NPC roles. They're mostly gardeners, anglers, homeless bench warmers, etc. The only interactive roles I see exclusively for game generated townies is as spellcasters in the Realm.

I'll have to try your suggested fix @jackiejoy Thanks for posting about it. I hope it still works!

I do still have fun playing my vanilla game almost everyday. I try very hard to just ignore it all. But lately, the bugs and basic borked mechanics of the game piling up with no fixes in sight, are pushing me toward using Mods. I shouldn't have to and don't want to do that. But even someone patient and understanding such as myself can only take so much before throwing their hands up to say, "Enough!"

I'm living on the edge as Stephen Tyler would say. :|

Happy Simming anyway... <3
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    Just stopping by to say that I figured why my successful business man suddenly appeared as a bar tender. It turned out I edited his household in CAS to add a genetic relative, and unfortunately, when saving a household in CAS the game randomly will add a copy of that household to the bin of "Other households". The bartender I saw was not the real business man, but a copy. I just deleted that extra copy.

Now, this explains my original episode, but it raises another question - why on earth (or in SimNation) did EA think it was good idea to place a copy of saved households in that "other households" bin? Those sims are used by the game to populate streets and community lots. It's nothing new, and think I started another thread about it earlier. I dislike that as well... Be aware; when you play a sim, and run into someone familiar, it might actually be their copy, not the real sim. That might explain why some relations seem wonky in the relations panel - someone you expected to have a strong relation might turn out not to have met when you switch households.

Thanks for input!
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    Did you use a cheat to edit in CAS? Or how did you do it?
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    JACKIEJOY wrote: »
    The fix I used was to register them as self employed. I would set Vlad up as a pipe organ composer for example. I haven't done that lately so I don't know if it still works. You could give it a try.

This never worked for me. Ever. Maybe they fixed it at some point, idk.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,658 Member
    Did you use a cheat to edit in CAS? Or how did you do it?

I use the "cas.fulleditmode" cheat before entering CAS through shift-clicking a sim. Not sure if the cheat is needed if you use the "manage households" menu, but I would think so.

You can then edit genetics, and also add family relatio to new sims, but it must be a sim that has not been played. Merging two existing sims to edit their relation will not work.
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I've never seen this happening. Do you have the NPCC mod? That's the only way I can think of that makes that happen
  • happyopihappyopi Posts: 1,355 Member
    Once, I saw a Sim that I had created, carefully dressed, built a home for, and provided with a career, sleeping on a bench in Willow Creek Park in a ratty old wifebeater and something that looked like house slippers. I could've sworn that there was a stink cloud and flies circling her head. I nearly rage quit on the spot.
    This happens to erratic sims, always has, another reason the name change to distantiate from real life mental illness was necessary because oof, cold, EAxis.

6+ years, still waiting for a townie job manager so I can assign careers to NPCs *and* they will stick to it ... I know it's possible because you can do it with MCCC freeze career flag and NPCC.
    But giving us tools to play the game our way seems the lowest on the list of priorities.

NPCs seem to have an expiry date, in line with the truly awful culling mechanic to give the appearance of story progression, so if you've disabled culling, sims previously in a townie job will no longer have it, nor be drafted for anything new, and will sit uselessly in your other households tab forever.
    Great coding guys !
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    happyopi wrote: »
    This happens to erratic sims, always has, another reason the name change to distantiate from real life mental illness was necessary because oof, cold, EAxis.

I appreciate your insight. However, in my particular case, I don't think that's the issue. I've never created an erratic Sim.

@Simmerville You may be onto something. I may have changed that Sim a bit by using the CAS cheat. I don't remember, however, it's entirely possible. I'll check my list of "Other" Households to see if there's another Sim that looks like her. Thanks for the lead!

I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited October 2020
    The played Sims are not supposed to get any vendor job (they did last time I played a few years ago) and or any other type job, insane Sims can pick up trash in common areas like at a park bench next to a grill. However, the game was patched several years ago to stop our played Sims from filling NPC (townie) jobs. I guess something broke that patch but to be honest it's been that way since the last time I played two years ago. Doctor Who (not erratic nor insane) wasn't supposed to be in vendor clothes at a festival but he was in my game, so I don't think it's the result of EL. Maybe something else from a long time ago. BTW< Maxis, erratic does not equal insanity. The name change doesn't suffice what is meant by insanity. Erratic would mean something out of character not insanity. It's not erratic if I'm always insane.

Two or three years ago this was happening again, and not result of any mods or cc. Didn't have any.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • shorty943pshorty943p Posts: 252 Member
    I absolutely agree with the sentiments here. EA\Maxis have gone too far now with this.
    "WE own" these computers the code runs on NOT EA. I am not disputing EA's rights regards the code, I AM disputing their rights in MY home and on MY computer.
    As this game now stands, we may as well be watching TV, as we have little to no control over the game and our own sims any more. Personally I haven't bought a pack of any kind since University was released.

And @ Cinebar the problem is how someone merged the patches. they got an older copy of the code and backdated it instead of updating it. Seen it happen in other big projects with complex intertwined code like this. Typical careless sloppy work.
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    Eliza Pancakes had been turning up as the bartender somewhere in every game for me since the first one so using your Sims isn't new. I got so fed up with seeing her I started to delete most of the originals and now, at least, I get some different ones.
  • TriplisTriplis Posts: 3,048 Member
    TS4 is beautiful to look at, but most days, it can turn a player's carefully laid out game into hot garbage.
    This is probably the most consistent problem I've had with the game over the years and why I tend to not last long with a specific save and not get too attached to characters or setups. Seems like every time I try to set things up in my own way, it gets messed with by the game somehow. But the game doesn't mess with things in a consistently interesting enough way for me to let it lead. So I'm caught between the two.
    Mods moved from MTS, now hosted at: https://triplis.github.io
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    shorty943p wrote: »
    I absolutely agree with the sentiments here. EA\Maxis have gone too far now with this.
    "WE own" these computers the code runs on NOT EA. I am not disputing EA's rights regards the code, I AM disputing their rights in MY home and on MY computer.
    As this game now stands, we may as well be watching TV, as we have little to no control over the game and our own sims any more. Personally I haven't bought a pack of any kind since University was released.

And @ Cinebar the problem is how someone merged the patches. they got an older copy of the code and backdated it instead of updating it. Seen it happen in other big projects with complex intertwined code like this. Typical careless sloppy work.

IIRC, this started happening with GT, then they patched it to stop played Sims from taking jobs like cashier etc. And they were never supposed to get vendor jobs at the festivals later. It's so disppointing if I ever want to load my TS4 again, I'm going to have to deal with broken patches and more bugs and glitches than the last time I played this game.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.