Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Which household room light option do you mainly use?

2...Next

Comments

• Options
    TheSpotted_CTheSpotted_C Posts: 293 Member
    Auto lights
    I prefer auto lights but lately I've been leaving lights on to try to jack up the meager bills lol.
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,959 Member
    edited September 2020
    Auto lights
    autolights mostly
    but sometimes always on cause i forget or i have specific colored lights thing going on or whatever

I also mostly set the lights so it looks nice and moody at night instead of doing like whole ceiling light extravaganza so I just tend to use table,floor and wall lights instead
    or like candle ones or antiqueish ones

brightly lit houses just don't feel natural to me because i was raised in "no lights on during daytime" household and well night time lights i prefer to have some moods and vibes instead of flat "this is very boring office" lights
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    _natalie_natalie Posts: 582 Member
    Auto lights
    So_Money wrote: »
    Depends on the room. Bedrooms, bathrooms, and offices are set to auto lights. Rooms in the heart of the home that sims pass through all the time (kitchens and living rooms) are always on.

Auto-Lights, but I think I may try this set up out by @So_Money ☝🏻
    She/Her. 👩🏻
    PlayStation. 🎮
    United Kingdom. 🇬🇧
  • Options
    So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    _natalie wrote: »
    So_Money wrote: »
    Depends on the room. Bedrooms, bathrooms, and offices are set to auto lights. Rooms in the heart of the home that sims pass through all the time (kitchens and living rooms) are always on.

Auto-Lights, but I think I may try this set up out by @So_Money ☝🏻

The reason I set it up that way is because it’s silly for sims to switch the lights on and off every time they pass through the living room or kitchen, which is more or less constantly if your house has any sort of open plan.
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Always on
    In real life, I don't use lights during the day, and only use them in the particular room I am in at night. In game, though, I am a full-on wastrel! I keep every single light on all the time, and I use super bright lights so everything is really illuminated. I do sometimes change the light colors, but usually to something weird like bright pink or bright green.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Auto lights
    I have auto lights on all the rooms but some rooms I will maybe keep a table lamp switched on.
  • Options
    elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,549 Member
    Auto lights
    Interesting poll! I have only just started to use auto lights, because it only just hit me that the lights are constantly switched on! Lol... after all these years.

And I hadn't even thought of doing different options either. So now I might try having a few left on always, having some dimmed etc.
  • Options
    BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    Auto lights
    joRN1414 wrote: »
    and I always change them all to cool white to get rid of the yellow tinge. If I use candles I will most times set those to always-on after I set auto lights.

Heh. I am the opposite. I find most houses from the gallery are way too sharply lit. I prefer to have spotted table lights and then floor lamps with a soft glow, so very shadowy rooms with interesting light / dark differences.

I tried that but everything seems just too underlit. You do have a point though, so I'm going to try it. I tend to use a lot of windows too, and that provides some of the same effects in rooms my Sim isn't in. lol.

Part of it, unfortunately, seems to be a graphic card / screen issue; I remember already back in 2014 when people universally yelled at the devs because everything was too dark and I had no issues. I suspect that's because I had (for the time) an high end gaming laptop that could properly render soft lights so it actually made a difference. Proper lighting effects is one of those things that actually take more out of a computer than you think it does.

Another thing is to remember that even if you use spotted lights and soft lights, to pretend it's you living there. Hence yes, a reading spotlight by a couch might have a small spread, but should be very bright over the actual couch. And so on.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • Options
    WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 845 Member
    Auto lights
    Most rooms on Auto Lights except the lamps outside the front and back doors and the kids night light
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • Options
    SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Auto lights
    Auto lights on keeps the bills lower :) I also shut lights off in rooms where babies are and just keep a lamp on.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • Options
    RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Always on
    and I always change them all to cool white to get rid of the yellow tinge. If I use candles I will most times set those to always-on after I set auto lights.

Heh. I am the opposite. I find most houses from the gallery are way too sharply lit. I prefer to have spotted table lights and then floor lamps with a soft glow, so very shadowy rooms with interesting light / dark differences.

I tried that but everything seems just too underlit. You do have a point though, so I'm going to try it. I tend to use a lot of windows too, and that provides some of the same effects in rooms my Sim isn't in. lol.

Part of it, unfortunately, seems to be a graphic card / screen issue; I remember already back in 2014 when people universally yelled at the devs because everything was too dark and I had no issues. I suspect that's because I had (for the time) an high end gaming laptop that could properly render soft lights so it actually made a difference. Proper lighting effects is one of those things that actually take more out of a computer than you think it does.

Another thing is to remember that even if you use spotted lights and soft lights, to pretend it's you living there. Hence yes, a reading spotlight by a couch might have a small spread, but should be very bright over the actual couch. And so on.

Good point. I have an old graphics card, and everything is definitely underlit for me.
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • Options
    auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    Auto lights
    I only auto lights for bedrooms and bathrooms. Kitchens, living/family, and dinning room lights always stay on.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • Options
    lousha_lovelousha_love Posts: 45 Member
    I use auto lights.
  • Options
    SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,129 Member
    Other:
    I use auto-light for bedrooms and bathrooms, and always on for the main living areas. Outdoor lights are always on, as well as the lamps.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • Options
    GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,562 Member
    Auto lights
    I'm frugal by nature, so it makes sense to have the lights only go on when a Sim enters the room and then go off when the room is not occupied. That would be great in a RL house full of children … Trying to teach my kids that power costs real money, but I digress.
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • Options
    MLadyAzzeraMLadyAzzera Posts: 1,174 Member
    edited October 2020
    Other:
    I like to put on auto-lights, but not in main areas, and will leave 1 light on to dimly light a hallway, bathroom, or bedroom for example.

I would like to start trying to turn half of a main room's lights to auto-light, just like if you were still awake and were going to come back at some point, like table lamps being left on.