Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Six years later: Are you happy with where TS4 is going?

1234568...Next

Comments

• logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    No, they're lacking in depth
    logion wrote: »
    SimGuruMrE, Game Designer at Maxis have this post pinned on his twitter.

These people act like they aren’t paid to do their job. Doing someone’s taxes can be hard, and if you do a poor job you don’t just get to lecture the person who is paying you about how hard your job is or the pressures involved in doing it. Absolute insanity. They need to realize that people aren’t paying them to understand the dynamics of a dysfunctional dev studio they’re being paid to deliver a quality product. Perhaps less time on social media would help, constantly searching for affirmations you’re doing good is unhealthy.

I like to believe that the devs are doing their job, I think he posted this just so people can understand why some decisions are made. As for posting on social media, this was posted in January last year.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Ever since playing TS3 for the past weeks I didnt play any other games installed on my pc ( i have 15 installed), ts4 has annoyed me to no end ever since the release of eco living and one can only endure your own sims dropping your interaction queues for so long, not sure if i will be back to ts4 though it isnt just the lack of personality, bugs and glitches that putting me off but it also the loading screens. I also am gonna uninstall ts4 to reserve some space for Cyberpunk 2077
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    Ever since playing TS3 for the past weeks I didnt play any other games installed on my pc ( i have 15 installed), ts4 has annoyed me to no end ever since the release of eco living and one can only endure your own sims dropping your interaction queues for so long, not sure if i will be back to ts4 though it isnt just the lack of personality, bugs and glitches that putting me off but it also the loading screens. I also am gonna uninstall ts4 to reserve some space for Cyberpunk 2077

:D I could have written this.
    My thoughts exactly, and I have uninstalled it, and I am looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077.
    And I did notice the sizeable freeing up of drive space.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,907 Member
    edited September 2020
    I don't find the last couple of expansions worse than the former ones. They are far more complicated and need a lot of explaining on how to play them best. I don't like game-changers' videos much as they go off on their own tangents of interest and Eco Lifestyle badly needs a manual. I don't know enough about how the Community Space Projects work for a start.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    edited September 2020

These people act like they aren’t paid to do their job. Doing someone’s taxes can be hard, and if you do a poor job you don’t just get to lecture the person who is paying you about how hard your job is or the pressures involved in doing it. Absolute insanity. They need to realize that people aren’t paying them to understand the dynamics of a dysfunctional dev studio they’re being paid to deliver a quality product. Perhaps less time on social media would help, constantly searching for affirmations you’re doing good is unhealthy.

I like to believe that the devs are doing their job, I think he posted this just so people can understand why some decisions are made. As for posting on social media, this was posted in January last year.

The half finished ideas, sloppy code, rehashed content and buggy end result suggest otherwise. I get what he’s trying to do and I still say it’s not his job to do that. Remember when they butchered apartments? They didn’t blame that on cost, or time, in fact they think they’re great because all they wanted was for them to look cool. Where does that fit into his breakdown on decision making? See why the people making this game shouldn’t be the source who tells you what quality is? In closing, I don’t care if he posted it a year ago, 2 years ago, or yesterday it’s pinned which means it’s the first thing he wants anyone who visits his page to see.
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Can't confirm as I'm waiting for more DLCs they could make
    The real truth came out as to why Sims 4 is still missing the mark. It's because back in 2013 when the devs were making the game it was supposed to be 100 percent an Online new type of Sim game. When the idea was scratched due to the fact that the New Online Sim game wouldn't work, they used the same engine & program for the PC Sims 4 instead of making a proper engine program. They were unfortunately on a deadline with the head bosses.
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    The real truth came out as to why Sims 4 is still missing the mark. It's because back in 2013 when the devs were making the game it was supposed to be 100 percent an Online new type of Sim game. When the idea was scratched due to the fact that the New Online Sim game wouldn't work, they used the same engine & program for the PC Sims 4 instead of making a proper engine program. They were unfortunately on a deadline with the head bosses.

Yea we knew about this before the game even came out. It’s been out there for at least 7 years now.
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Took over a year off from playing and still having a hard time getting back into it.
  • SimsLovinLycanSimsLovinLycan Posts: 1,910 Member
    Jankey AI, unbalanced emotion system, painfully slow supernatural releases, no burglars or cop NPC's, severe lack of difficulty not imposed by glitches and poor AI, a year of poorly-chosen pack themes, family players derailing the conversation from the really serious core problems to cry about non-portable babies and the lack of a "Generations" pack because ages that aren't Adult or Young Adult apparently don't have enough to do in their opinion, the train wreck that was the series' 20th anniversary, and we don't even at least have paintable ceilings. Yeah, I'd say TS4 has gone pretty darn poorly over the last 6 years in terms of quality.
    There is a song I hear, a melody from the past...
    5MNZlGQ.gif
    When I woke for the first time, when I slept for the last.
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member

I feel that because their time and budget is so low, their scope becomes so small for all their packs, and when they want to increase their scope, the quality is getting affected instead with the number of bugs that we have.

I really think that they should increase their budget, maybe even give them more time so they can have larger scopes. I suggested in another thread that they should open a second studio so the first studio is releasing their packs the first year, the second studio is releasing their packs the second year, and then the first studio releases the third year etc... Imagine if they had two years to work on their packs instead of one year.

ahaha i swear these devs are more creative giving excuses than developing ts4😂 when will they understand that most of the players couldn't care less about this kind of justifications/explanations? they just want to play a good game! ppl know it's possible, past sims games are proof of it.

exactly this is what gives me hope for ts5. they won't have the excuse of wrong coding so they have to do it right. in ts4 cas, build mode and graphics are the only improvements the game has done, but the gameplay and AI hasn't, so it makes sense.
    though, the way these devs are profiting their failure is kinda surprising lmao. hopefully they won't feel as comfortable milking ts5.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited September 2020
    bellagoth_ wrote: »

exactly this is what gives me hope for ts5. they won't have the excuse of wrong coding so they have to do it right. in ts4 cas, build mode and graphics are the only improvements the game has done, but the gameplay and AI hasn't, so it makes sense.
    though, the way these devs are profiting their failure is kinda surprising lmao. hopefully they won't feel as comfortable milking ts5.

The Sims franchise is going to have some competition soon with Paralives and so far from what I've seen of it it's looking very promising for a life simulation game. I'm hoping this games existence alone will be enough to make EA pull their finger out and put some actual effort into making the Sims 5 a good game. This is not a good time for them to do anything but their best effort when it comes to the Sims franchise.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member
    edited September 2020

I feel that because their time and budget is so low, their scope becomes so small for all their packs, and when they want to increase their scope, the quality is getting affected instead with the number of bugs that we have.

I really think that they should increase their budget, maybe even give them more time so they can have larger scopes. I suggested in another thread that they should open a second studio so the first studio is releasing their packs the first year, the second studio is releasing their packs the second year, and then the first studio releases the third year etc... Imagine if they had two years to work on their packs instead of one year.

ahaha i swear these devs are more creative giving excuses than developing ts4😂 when will they understand that most of the players couldn't care less about this kind of justifications/explanations? they just want to play a good game! ppl know it's possible, past sims games are proof of it.

Imagine CD Projekt Red putting out something like this. 😅😆🤣

Or Rockstar.

Or Naughty Dog.

Or any other number of quality developers, small and large.
    Sharonia wrote: »

The Sims franchise is going to have some competition soon with Paralives and so far from what I've seen of it it's looking very promising for a life simulation game. I'm hoping this games existence alone will be enough to make EA pull their finger out and put some actual effort into making the Sims 5 a good game. This is not a good time for them to do anything but their best effort when it comes to the Sims franchise.

i agree! not only paralives, it's rumored that paradox tectonic is working on a life simulation as well, and it has Rod Humble working on it. he also worked in the sims 2 & 3, so it's a guarantee that paradox's game will be great.
    we don't know if more life simulation games are being developed right now, so maxis better start working seriously again.
    So_Money wrote: »

Imagine CD Projekt Red putting out something like this. 😅😆🤣

Or Rockstar.

Or Naughty Dog.

Or any other number of quality developers, small and large.

lol right? it's very unprofessional. successful people don't make excuses.
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    I personally don't think TS3 went downhill later in its run. I love all the EPs, even the one I liked least which is Showtime (I have at least one different performance venue in every world I play). I even love the stuff packs you don't like because I have found uses for all of them, especially since they are CAStable. I'm glad that they were all made! 🥰
    [/quote]

Did you ever play Island Paradise? It was a game-breaking buggy mess. I had Merfolks swim up the terrain, non-funciontal underwater lots where the game would stutter, freeze and but out. And that was on a good day. Most of the time I couldn't even load into Isla Paradisio because the moment I'd open up a save the game would freeze and then crash to desktop. :-/ That's not even mentioning the invasion of Showtime Performers who'd perform until they sunk through the terrain and became impossible to retrieve w/o cheats (or mods) or the supernatural and celebrity invasions that weren't fixed until Supernatural, and even then they were still somewhat broken as there was an invasion of mermaids because they forgot to add a toggle to stop random NPC's from turning into them. :-/

While I love TS3, there was plenty wrong with the game, especially towards the end of its life. [/quote]

Yes, IP should have been great but thanks to the devs they released it in an buggy state and they do not get any kudos from today for almost everything that is wrong with Sims 4 today falls on the Dev.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    izecson wrote: »
    Did you ever play Island Paradise? It was a game-breaking buggy mess. I had Merfolks swim up the terrain, non-funciontal underwater lots where the game would stutter, freeze and but out. And that was on a good day. Most of the time I couldn't even load into Isla Paradisio because the moment I'd open up a save the game would freeze and then crash to desktop. :-/ That's not even mentioning the invasion of Showtime Performers who'd perform until they sunk through the terrain and became impossible to retrieve w/o cheats (or mods) or the supernatural and celebrity invasions that weren't fixed until Supernatural, and even then they were still somewhat broken as there was an invasion of mermaids because they forgot to add a toggle to stop random NPC's from turning into them. :-/

While I love TS3, there was plenty wrong with the game, especially towards the end of its life.

Thats odd, for me the latest few packs of the Sims 3 was of great quality content wise and I have lot of enjoyment playing those packs even today and maybe I'm the fortunate enough not to notice any of those bugs you mentioned except the lag fest on Isla Paradiso but I managed to fix that by bulldozing the troubled lots

Yeah, I've come to the realization that I may have just been terribly unlucky with Island Paradise. My computer at the time was a highend Alienware and it could run the game just fine, but I think IP was just too much for my computer most of the time. Which is a shame because when I did get it to run properly, the world was amazing to play with. Houseboats were a big favourite of mine, even if they were clunky.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    Destin2016 wrote: »
    I’m done with the Sims 4.

At this point, I think almost everyone is.

I don’t know if I can say that I’m completely done with the Sims 4 but right now I’m playing the Sims 3 and I can’t really think of a good reason to return to the Sims 4 any time soon other than missing the sims that I got attached to. Sims 3 might not look quite as pretty as the Sims 4 does but it has the better gameplay imho. When I play the Sims 4 it doesn’t hold my attention and play on my iPad at the same time. When I play the Sims 3 I actually play the game. The Sims 3 keeps me busy playing and entertained and I don’t even touch my iPad unless I need to google something about the game. I’m having more fun playing the base game of the Sims 3 right now than I have playing all the packs of the Sims 4, minus the disgusting Star Wars pack cause I’m never buying that. :D

It's why I said "almost", not everyone is going to feel the same about TS4. I'm personally almost done with TS4, I'm still holding out for more occults because this iteration of the game has just catered to "normal" players, which is fine but it's just a let down since occults were such a big thing in TS2&3.

I agree about the SW pack though, I'm not buying it.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited September 2020

The half finished ideas, sloppy code, rehashed content and buggy end result suggest otherwise. I get what he’s trying to do and I still say it’s not his job to do that. Remember when they butchered apartments? They didn’t blame that on cost, or time, in fact they think they’re great because all they wanted was for them to look cool. Where does that fit into his breakdown on decision making? See why the people making this game shouldn’t be the source who tells you what quality is? In closing, I don’t care if he posted it a year ago, 2 years ago, or yesterday it’s pinned which means it’s the first thing he wants anyone who visits his page to see.

I agree it had nothing to do with cost pertaining to apartments for if the player was allowed to make Apts as we were able to do in Sims 2 and somewhat in Sims 3 (I never built Apts in Sims 3 but did use them.) and also in any neighborhood The EP would have gone over very well with many players as well as with me. However EA/Maxis has now restricted what can be done in each pack and not across the game.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • VeltmanVeltman Posts: 36 Member

Yea we knew about this before the game even came out. It’s been out there for at least 7 years now.

This,this a million times over.

Answering the question: No, I'm not happy with where this game is going, not by a long shot. At this point, I think it would be best if they just ditched this game and started working on a proper game, Sims 5, from the ground up. It's clear that this trainwreck of a game cannot be salvaged at this point, and the worst thing is, it looks like they aren't even trying anymore.

Back in 15-16 when we got the first expansions, the vampires which had a lot of depth...it LOOKED like this game was going to have a comeback, but it all went downhill after that. The magic pack...the star wars pack...all these things no one asked for while the most basic stuff is missing, even the eco and island living expansions...so hollow compared with what we got in Sims 3...

I am absolutely done with Sims 4, I will not spend another dime on this awful game. I'll come back when they make a proper Sims game from the ground up next time, until then, I'll be playing TS3.
  • catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Still way too many bugs. Wish they would fix them all before any more EP's, SP's, etc.
  • lousha_lovelousha_love Posts: 45 Member
    > @FlyingPotato659 said:
    > Hope this poll will help the gurus to rethink this decision

The sims have absolutely no personality and depth.