Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Mow The Lawn!

2...Next

Comments

• Imeffinawesome92Imeffinawesome92 Posts: 1,998 Member
    edited May 2013
    This could be the perfect excuse to finally add a Gardner/landscaper
  • RADONATORRADONATOR Posts: 541 New Member
    edited May 2013
    Oh Great Idea!, and I was just thinking about outside chores...like wash the car, you could have people join, then the childish could spray with the hose others, or throw bucket of water at type actions..
  • TanyaRubiroseTanyaRubirose Posts: 11,033 Member
    edited May 2013
    obeyelisia wrote:
    obeyelisia wrote:
    obeyelisia wrote:
    obeyelisia wrote:
    I think our Sims should be able to mow the lawn. There should be different types of lawn mowers: ones that you push yourself, ones that you ride, and etc. I think after the lawn is mowed your Sims should get a "Mowed Lawn" Moodlet (+25) Also, the grass should be able to grow. (For example, you can actually see over time that the grass is getting higher.)When the grass reaches it's maximum height, the Sims should get a "Lawn Needs to be Mowed" Moodlet (-25)

It's not possible in Sims 3; that's not actually grass you see on the ground, but grass-like paint. In fact, most 3D video games can't support this for that reason, and the few that can have special grass you have to plant that is different from the normal grass you see elsewhere (and, typically, you're mowing that grass to feed it to cattle).

So, this isn't actually technically possible.

Yes well I've already cancelled out that "seeing the grass grow part" Even though the Sims won't actually be cutting the grass, it will basically still have the same outcome. They'll still get the moodlets and the animations, only the actual grass growing won't show.

And what's to stop them from getting the same benefit from mowing the beach, desert sand, random rock, the inside of a tomb, or something like that?

Well maybe it could be limited to a Residential Lot, if that's even possible. :lol: And you know how the sprinkler waters only a certain area? maybe that could be the same with the lawn mower. Then your Sims won't have to spend the entire day mowing the lawn. Also, then players can put the lawn mower to mow a specific area so they won't be mowing rock or whatever.

That solves the problem nicely, to a degree ^^

Just, meh. I know how this will turn out... EA adds it, people will complain because, while mowing on their lawn, the grass doesn't actually grow or they'll complain they can mow off the grass. Not adding this, people complain they can't mow. All adding it would ultimately be doing is trading one set of complaints for another.

That's why I'm hoping they solve the grass issue in Sims 4.

And if they do solve it, maybe there will be lawn mowers? :wink: It is true, people will probably complain about mowing on rocks, sand, and etc. But, I do think it will make the game a bit more realistic, even though it has its ups and downs with the painted terrain. :?

If they solve it, lawnmowers will be necessary :wink:

And, well, you're willing to accept the downs and the ups... so, you have my support ^^
  • AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited May 2013
    I don't think they have to confine them to residental lots they can link them to the terrain type. In other words if you notice the different terrain pants under other tabs.
    They can just code the mower not to work on sand, rocks, and gravel terrain.

Or just code it for only mowing grass.

I am in agreement with JC about the time consumption of this chore. A few other problems. Grass usually doesn't need to be mowed every day but in sims they seem to have a problem with coordinating that properly. Im not saying that they can't but i am saying it's a design problem that's always over looked. An example of that is laundry depending on family size you really don't need to do laundry every single day. Sometimes not even every other day. The more people live in your house of course the more you need to do laundry but sims never seems to adjust like that.

The problem i see is even if this a mow the terrain option how will sims know to mow the lawn since it doesn't grow. I was just wondering if instead what could happen is every 7 sims days you see these dandlions and grass sprouts like you do for the flowers that spawn for the festival events. So it's not a full grass growth but you see these sprouts and know it's time to mow the lawn. When you mow them they disappear and it goes back to the terrain.

Anyway it's not a bad idea it's just that it's mundane chore like cleaning is, which is apart of sims life. It could be something more for outdoor people love to do it's just that i wish the development team would fix the game so that we have more time during the day to do this stuff.
  • obeyelisiaobeyelisia Posts: 29 Member
    edited May 2013
    Anavastia wrote:
    I don't think they have to confine them to residental lots they can link them to the terrain type. In other words if you notice the different terrain pants under other tabs.
    They can just code the mower not to work on sand, rocks, and gravel terrain.

Or just code it for only mowing grass.

I am in agreement with JC about the time consumption of this chore. A few other problems. Grass usually doesn't need to be mowed every day but in sims they seem to have a problem with coordinating that properly. Im not saying that they can't but i am saying it's a design problem that's always over looked. An example of that is laundry depending on family size you really don't need to do laundry every single day. Sometimes not even every other day. The more people live in your house of course the more you need to do laundry but sims never seems to adjust like that.

The problem i see is even if this a mow the terrain option how will sims know to mow the lawn since it doesn't grow. I was just wondering if instead what could happen is every 7 sims days you see these dandlions and grass sprouts like you do for the flowers that spawn for the festival events. So it's not a full grass growth but you see these sprouts and know it's time to mow the lawn. When you mow them they disappear and it goes back to the terrain.

Anyway it's not a bad idea it's just that it's mundane chore like cleaning is, which is apart of sims life. It could be something more for outdoor people love to do it's just that i wish the development team would fix the game so that we have more time during the day to do this stuff.

I like your idea of spawning weeds! Then it would be much easier to tell that it's time to mow the lawn. :mrgreen:
  • AnavastiaAnavastia Posts: 6,515 Member
    edited May 2013
    Glad to contribute an idea. It might be a good idea to mention this to the store team they consider it as a premium content for players. They do read their forums.

There is always some work around for things that make it simple. It the store teams decides it might be a nice content to go with a new map.

I am looking for a larger map that can fit all my stuff and some.
    edited May 2013
    This could be the perfect excuse to finally add a Gardner/landscaper

Yeah a Gardener would be pretty cool to bring back from TS2. It's too bad it couldn't be included in store content for gardening or just landscaping. (like the lawn mowing idea) But if they were to bring it back...it would probably have to be in a patch or even an EP.
    Well I'm getting off topic, aren't I? I made a forum about mowing the lawn, and here I am talking about a Gardener! :lol:
    Anyways...perhaps the Sims 3 Store team could include this with another outdoor set? They already did gardening, so maybe it's time for some landscaping. :wink:
    edited May 2013
    Cinebar wrote:
    I miss the days my Sims had to trim the hedges..loved them for my creepy, snarly looking spooky houses, yards. I miss weeds appearing when water puddles were on the ground.

Remember? When a Sim or dog used the bathroom out side, weeds appeared.. :twisted: A reason to get my lazy Sims up and do something.

You know how someone else posted that weeds should spawn over time? Perhaps also when water puddles appear, weeds could spawn because grass and weeds grow faster when there's water. :D
  • IMeepIMeep Posts: 1,635 Member
    edited May 2013
    obeyelisia wrote:
    obeyelisia wrote:
    I think our Sims should be able to mow the lawn. There should be different types of lawn mowers: ones that you push yourself, ones that you ride, and etc. I think after the lawn is mowed your Sims should get a "Mowed Lawn" Moodlet (+25) Also, the grass should be able to grow. (For example, you can actually see over time that the grass is getting higher.)When the grass reaches it's maximum height, the Sims should get a "Lawn Needs to be Mowed" Moodlet (-25)

It's not possible in Sims 3; that's not actually grass you see on the ground, but grass-like paint. In fact, most 3D video games can't support this for that reason, and the few that can have special grass you have to plant that is different from the normal grass you see elsewhere (and, typically, you're mowing that grass to feed it to cattle).

So, this isn't actually technically possible.

Yes well I've already cancelled out that "seeing the grass grow part" Even though the Sims won't actually be cutting the grass, it will basically still have the same outcome. They'll still get the moodlets and the animations, only the actual grass growing won't show.

And what's to stop them from getting the same benefit from mowing the beach, desert sand, random rock, the inside of a tomb, or something like that?

I'd love to mow the ice pond in winter time.
  • ArtmaneSimsArtmaneSims Posts: 1 New Member
    With a bit of pretending, you could have them so these poses for X amount of time. https://modthesims.info/d/557774

Also, it's a pity no one has cloned and re-tasked the tractor.
  • EA_LeelooEA_Leeloo Posts: 2,019 EA Staff (retired)
    This thread has been inactive for 7 years. I don't believe it's that relevant to the OP anymore to revive it after such a long time.
    So I'm closing it for necroposting.

- Leeloo
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top