Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Great Career Imbalance

So... I was going through every household in my game to note down what jobs and careers all the sims have (OCD moment lol).

What I noticed, of course, is that most pre-made sims are set with a base game career (for obvious reasons) - but this means that there are an awful lot of sims in the culinary career, business etc, but nobody in the newer careers.

I was curious whether you peeps do anything to change that?

The Great Career Imbalance 108 votes

I go through and change a lot of the sims jobs for more variety
9%
verlainemSimburianelanorbretonstilljustme2taydevadduapinaPamtastic72_natalieSimyimSimsLady2000 10 votes
I change some sims jobs because I think they are more suited to something else
9%
BloosmooMeteoraStormBeardedgeekfruitsbasket101deedles64SAEldarinsarabeth2984RouensimsAngeliqueAdelaideSimmerSavannah010 10 votes
I only change a sims job if I want them to interact with my played sim(s) in their current career
12%
Mariefoxprice83CyazuraiAquariusMomAnnLee87MaggieMarleySummerStreakRedShoe7j1z1thenightcourtJasonschick80PenguinBudgieafternoonbaboonLeilatha 13 votes
I don't change any because I don't care what jobs unplayed sims have
56%
auroraael14winkeljohn78CamkatPlayerSinger2010Mi9shaoscarTheSpotted_CIsb917shokorosebabajayneSageRainWillowhaneulAnmirlasimgirl1010SirenLuminoscmbaker16LizzychicagoMirichasmurf45blueKhrisstynephantasmkiss 61 votes
Other (please do tell!)
12%
friendlysimmersJestTruCAPTAIN_NXR7ScobreMDianaSimsfilipomelHopeyStarrsmurfy77AmandèleSERVERFRAAuroraskiesDaWaterRatArcherDKNate_Whiplash1 14 votes

Comments

• DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    I keep a balance among my played sims, and when a premade marries into a family I'll change their career to keep the balance, but I don't mess with them otherwise.
  • _natalie_natalie Posts: 582 Member
    I change base game sims to jobs I think they would have (following lore) and make sure their skills match up.

I dont touch DLC sims much... maybe match their skills up to their pre-existing careers.
    She/Her. 👩🏻
    PlayStation. 🎮
    United Kingdom. 🇬🇧
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    I don't care what pre-mades and townies do, unless they somehow make it into my rotation/families. My own sims have had many jobs, I like to try them all at least once.
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    Other (please do tell!)
    I don't often change NPC jobs because I don't usually want to take the time to do it, but I'm in the process of setting up a personal Save File that I'll use for future saves (once it's set up) and I plan to make a lot of changes in that, both to jobs and relationships.
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    Other (please do tell!)
    Sometimes I make them work from home, go to college, or just not work at all. Nice to have them run a business sometimes too.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
  • JestTruJestTru Posts: 1,761 Member
    Other (please do tell!)
    I do change some sims careers but not a bunch of them. The ones that I do change, is to fill careers for story telling purposes. When I'm playing in general I dont care what the NPC careers are.
    WbUrFQm.png
  • MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,175 Member
    Other (please do tell!)
    I never really bother with the premades, they end up as bartenders or vendors most of the time anyway.
    But, in the save I'm building, I try to have an even spread between all jobs (for housed sims) and balance the male-female ratio as well. I'll have a bunch of homeless sims take on the NPC jobs once I start setting things up (and add some mods that help with that).
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    Other (please do tell!)
    Great question.

When I buy a new pack I evict all the premades that does not interest me and let them be 'filling' in the world, and used by the game in whatever way needed, placed in the Other Households tab.

My created sims, and the ones of the premades that I want to play, I decide all things for, choosing and changing any career choice not to my liking. I only need to set up one sim per career path (there can be more of course but I am not that far), and the rest I register with the Employment Office, giving them a proper job title and description according to their occupation, thoughtfully decided by me to fit my world.
    I plan to fill the world with sims suitable for the service jobs as well.
  • ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    Other (please do tell!)
    I don't do anything because it would make perfect sense that some Sims are working less lucrative jobs. It adds to the world.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I only keep a note on my played Sims. Once they become played, I either randomise their career or I choose one depending on their aspiration.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Atreya33Atreya33 Posts: 4,411 Member
    I am generally not interested in the premade sims. I generally only change things when I move a sim in. I might change the job of unplayed sims if I want them to be a co worker for my played sims but so far I have not bothered to do this.
  • Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,085 Member
    Other (please do tell!)
    I motherlode every Sim I have, no careers for them. And I don't care what the townies do for a living
  • elanorbretonelanorbreton Posts: 14,518 Member
    edited September 2020
    Great question.

When I buy a new pack I evict all the premades that does not interest me and let them be 'filling' in the world, and used by the game in whatever way needed, placed in the Other Households tab.

My created sims, and the ones of the premades that I want to play, I decide all things for, choosing and changing any career choice not to my liking. I only need to set up one sim per career path (there can be more of course but I am not that far), and the rest I register with the Employment Office, giving them a proper job title and description according to their occupation, thoughtfully decided by me to fit my world.
    I plan to fill the world with sims suitable for the service jobs as well.

So, you play rotationally? Does the employment office registration stick? I used to do this with some of my sims a while ago, but when I rotated back to them they would just show as being unemployed. I wondered if it had been fixed now.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    Other (please do tell!)
    I honestly never thought of it. I don’t touch pre mades, other than deleting them if I don’t feel they should exist in a particular save.
    In my game their live is their own.
    Sure, I have my sims interact with them and ask what kind of jobs they have, sometimes even date one, but other than that I go nowhere near the pre mades’ set traits, aspirations or careers.
    I will always create my own sims if I need them to be in a specific job or have distinctive traits for story telling purposes.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    My sims all have different careers or have split into different tiers at the top, except I have more sims in the culinary career because I tend to use that Master Chef aspiration a lot. I don’t care what the premades do. It would matter in past Sims games when they needed to befriend coworkers as part of their job performance, but in TS4 it doesn’t matter, unless we’re talking about the acting career, maybe.
  • friendlysimmersfriendlysimmers Posts: 7,542 Member
    Other (please do tell!)
    most of my sims are stay at home sims no carer or job since i use the money cheat in the game
    If you went the sims5 to remain offline feel free to sign this petition http://chng.it/gtfHPhHK please note that it is also to keep the gallery

Repose en paix mamie tu va me manquer :

1923-2016 mamie :'(
  • OnverserOnverser Posts: 3,364 Member
    I don't care for premades that much, their jobs don't impact my gameplay in any way shape or form. When I place sims in my world I never bother to assign them jobs. I have the NPCC mod though so sometimes townies get assigned jobs like bartenders and chefs autonomously which is pretty neat. I saw the other day that the pancakes were both working together at one of the restaurants I placed which was pretty sweet.

Picture in the spoiler:
    RveFg5I.png
  • SimsLady2000SimsLady2000 Posts: 1,236 Member
    In the event one of my played sims enters a relationship with the unplayed ones, I like to make sure they a variety of backgrounds, careers, skills etc.
    The Sims is NOT a game, it's a lifestyle choice.

My Plumbob is GREEN today :D
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I don't change their jobs. Usually I have to look up what their original job is meant to be because for some reason my game likes to make them work in bars or food stands even though they already had better jobs assigned to them. I usually give them their original job back.
  • AuroraskiesAuroraskies Posts: 1,834 Member
    edited September 2020
    Other (please do tell!)
    @elanorbreton Yes, I play rotationally.

The point of registering my sims with the Employment Office, is partly for immersion, giving them titles and job descriptions that make me laugh or feel happy about; and partly because I do not want to see them in service jobs, but have other plans for their occupation than the game careers. I think the fact that they are played once at least, and in the My Households tab, might convince the game not to choose them for service, I just want to be sure; my crazy kahuna Keala does not sell coffee in a stand.

I regularly come back to my 'broker/fixer' sim, that I upgrade new house appliances with and that works as my handy person; and that sim have had their job description for a long time, and I have never seen them in a service job, when having other households active. They're in the My Households tab as well; but have had their 'job' for longer than the Hoapili household, which took me awhile to load for the first time.

I am not in game right now but can check during the weekend how it fares with the others.
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I had considered changing some, but then I figured all of my sims doing basically all but the base game careers balances it.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    I change some sims jobs because I think they are more suited to something else
    I change a very few Sims because... they should be. And because somewhere along the ride Maxis stopped. Bella has a job for example. Vlad has not. I have in my starter save made him a high-ranking local politician; seems suitable to be a behind the scenes person who has ran the same town for hundreds of years. For example.
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • JackOnYourBackJackOnYourBack Posts: 1,261 Member
    I don't really care what job the premades have. But I do keep track of what jobs and level my sims have in my biggest save because they are too many to remember :)

I was just thinking of something related to this the other day actually, although it had more to do with townies than premades - and the opposite, but there are so many single household sims created by the game that just run around unemployed, like what's the point of that? If they all got a job within a little while then maybe but there are so many elder townies my sims have known since they where YA's and they never were assigned a job in the game.
    There is simply no need for that many unemployed unplayed sims.

I wonder what the ratio between unemployment and employment is among the townies. Staggering in my saves, that's for sure.

Gallery ID: JackOnYourBack
  • SindocatSindocat Posts: 5,622 Member
    It has never occurred to me to alter Sims that I don't play, in regards to career. Maybe I should. I might play Criminal more, if Nancy Landgraab isn't ringing my doorbell every other day.