Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Six years later: Are you happy with where TS4 is going?

Comments

• halloweenchildhalloweenchild Posts: 1,534 Member
    No, they're lacking in depth
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    OEII1001 wrote: »
    Now if I could only feel as confident about how Bloodlines 2 is going to come out. :D
    So_Money wrote: »
    Yeah, lol, my confidence is plummeting there. It’s a shame too because Bloodlines is one of my all-time favorites. Hopefully they surprise everyone but it ain’t looking good.

What is going on with Bloodlines 2? All I know is that they pushed back the release date on it so that. But Cyperpunk 2077's release date was pushed back too before? Is there something else?

There was a delay in the spring. That's not a big deal; it happens all the time. But a few weeks ago they announced a second delay and then immediately fired both the game director and the lead writer, the latter of which was the lead on the first game. Obviously that's a sign of problems in development, and so I'm pretty apprehensive about what we're going to get. To be fair, I was previously a little concerned that what we were going to get was going to be too action-y and not RPG-y enough for my tastes, but now I think it we'll be fortunate if the game is not a total mess.

Oof, when the lead director and writers are fired you know some serious schniz has gone down. I hope this isn't a sign that the game is going to have "modern day" politics shoved unnecessarily into the game. :-/
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • Destin2016Destin2016 Posts: 568 Member
    I’m done with the Sims 4.
    You like me because I'm a scoundrel. There aren't enough scoundrels in your life.
    Destin2016 wrote: »

At this point, I think almost everyone is.
    Give our Vampires back their fangs!!! Reverse the Nerf!!! Occult simmers should not be shoved aside for the "realism players"! It's time Occult lovers/players started to demand equal treatment. #JusticeForOccults
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    I'm happy that the game is still exists, a lot of new & different gameplay, I can see that the team is trying to embrace diversity in comparison to the past iterations, and many more.

However, I'm unhappy that the gameplay is lack of depth, especially on the Sims personality & interaction. I hope that the coming updates are not only focusing on the appearance of how the Sims should look like or giving us building tools only, but, tackling a better gameplay, better personality, better system, etc.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • SimburianSimburian Posts: 6,913 Member
    xamira99 wrote: »
    I'm happy that the game is still exists, a lot of new & different gameplay, I can see that the team is trying to embrace diversity in comparison to the past iterations, and many more.

However, I'm unhappy that the gameplay is lack of depth, especially on the Sims personality & interaction. I hope that the coming updates are not only focusing on the appearance of how the Sims should look like or giving us building tools only, but, tackling a better gameplay, better personality, better system, etc.

I tend to think that they are going with the rotational play people, especially with Eco Lifestyle where acting in communities is important. By now I expect they hoped that our worlds would be full of Sims. My worlds are completely full of Sims, over 250 of them and it works much better that way.
  • Lady_BalloraLady_Ballora Posts: 786 Member
    Sims 4 is just getting worse...I really think EA needs to pull the plug on S4 soon and give us Sims 5. What's the point of a simulator game if you're only going to be restricted to telling EA's stories and playing EA's way?

I'm really hoping Sims 5 will be more like Sims 1 and Sims 2 with the color wheel from Sims 3 and the easy building tools from Sims 4.
    Why do you hide inside these walls?
  • x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Simburian wrote: »
    xamira99 wrote: »

I tend to think that they are going with the rotational play people, especially with Eco Lifestyle where acting in communities is important. By now I expect they hoped that our worlds would be full of Sims. My worlds are completely full of Sims, over 250 of them and it works much better that way.

I hope so too! I'm playing with a lot of households, but not as big as yours. However, as my Sims generations moving on, I wish that there's something unique, in-depth, or anything that could actually make the gameplay, the interaction or anything can be somewhat memorable not only for us, but for our Sims too.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited September 2020
    SimGuruMrE, Game Designer at Maxis have this post pinned on his twitter.

I feel that because their time and budget is so low, their scope becomes so small for all their packs, and when they want to increase their scope, the quality is getting affected instead with the number of bugs that we have.

I really think that they should increase their budget, maybe even give them more time so they can have larger scopes. I suggested in another thread that they should open a second studio so the first studio is releasing their packs the first year, the second studio is releasing their packs the second year, and then the first studio releases the third year etc... Imagine if they had two years to work on their packs instead of one year.
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    DeafSimmer wrote: »
    (Sims 3 started going downhill toward the last few packs).
    Sims 3 is my favorite, but I do agree about this. What's funny is I remember people saying it was time to end Sims 3 and gives us 4 already. Now, people want 4 to end and for EA to give us Sims 5.

This is why I feel it's time for the whole series to end. If it went downhill with 3, and it's only getting worse with 4, why would 5 be better? It'll only happen all over again.

(Note: Into the Future is one of my favorite packs, though. It was a totally new thing to the series, as far as I remember. Packs like Movie Stuff, Katy Perry Sweet Treats, and Diesel Stuff should've never come to pass!)
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    No, I'm not happy. I assume everyone knows this by now. lol But I gave them the first two or three years to show me what they would do with all that potential everyone kept saying TS4 had. I bought packs and found some things I liked, because I know me and what I will play and accept and what I won't play and accept. There were a few things that were interesting, but the core remained the problem. Toddles were well done, but my goodness how long people waited to see that depth in one life stage.

Vampires was a good pack because they gave depth to the character that the other Sims don't have. It made them unique and that was all up to the player by what type traits (meaningful) you gave a vampire. Lots of choices there. Too bad this sort of depth can't be applied to all Sims, since regular traits don't really matter all that much in TS4 overshadowed by decor buffs and emotional repeats for all.

I remember when TS4 players were upset over that coastal town being so small, they loved the theme of the town but fussed about the size. (C&D). It wasn't me, I didn't buy that pack, lol. That was TS4 players putting down the world sizes. Then they did the same with GF, complaining about world size etc. Again, I didn't get the pack, I know I wouldn't have been happy with only one career, and very scripted and tiny world in a pack that is supposed to out shine SuperStar in The Sims. C'mon, I knew better. I didn't have to be brilliant to know it could never be compared to SuperStar with only one lame career and very non editing studios etc. Funny part, the career steps were broken on day one.

I have recently decided Maxis started making worlds even smaller due to if you have so many more homes to move into you may be tempted to play rotationally and find out that yes, all the Sims are the same with their lackluster traits and not that many choices there, either. If there are only a few then a player may just stick with one family/household and never figure out they all have the same personality. If you don't rotate (because there are very few spots in a new world) you may never see all the bugs and problems with Sims. That way they can keep a lid on how bad it can get and is as far as lack of depth with personalities and Sims awareness and memory or no memory.

I have decided (by observation) that when Maxis feels threatened by too much negativity they bring out some feature that this or that group wants, it's called pandering. The gender patch came out at the time the sales for TS4 were not doing very well, it was sinking, and the skintone patch will come out after the huge backlash for SW.

There have been a few other things they did when sales were not as high as they hoped, but those are some big features that when they pander they can just sweep the rest of this under a rug.

"Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited September 2020
    logion wrote: »

I feel that because their time and budget is so low, their scope becomes so small for all their packs, and when they want to increase their scope, the quality is getting affected instead with the number of bugs that we have.

I really think that they should increase their budget, maybe even give them more time so they can have larger scopes. I suggested in another thread that they should open a second studio so the first studio is releasing their packs the first year, the second studio is releasing their packs the second year, and then the first studio releases the third year etc... Imagine if they had two years to work on their packs instead of one year.

The teams for TS1 through TS3 released packs in a timely manner and the packs were all content-rich and less buggy than TS4 and its packs. They were able to utilize ALL THREE key things mentioned, not just any two.

It should be noted as well, that the SimGuru who had this pinned was never part of any of the previous iterations.

KayeStar wrote: »
    DeafSimmer wrote: »
    (Sims 3 started going downhill toward the last few packs).
    Sims 3 is my favorite, but I do agree about this. What's funny is I remember people saying it was time to end Sims 3 and gives us 4 already. Now, people want 4 to end and for EA to give us Sims 5.

This is why I feel it's time for the whole series to end. If it went downhill with 3, and it's only getting worse with 4, why would 5 be better? It'll only happen all over again.

(Note: Into the Future is one of my favorite packs, though. It was a totally new thing to the series, as far as I remember. Packs like Movie Stuff, Katy Perry Sweet Treats, and Diesel Stuff should've never come to pass!)

I personally don't think TS3 went downhill later in its run. I love all the EPs, even the one I liked least which is Showtime (I have at least one different performance venue in every world I play because I still think ithey're great fun). I even love the stuff packs you don't like because I have found uses for all of them, especially since they are CAStable. I'm glad that they were all made! 🥰

-=<*>=-

They really should put TS4 out of its misery already and move on to TS5. I'm a lot more optimistic about it than TS4's core issues being completely fixed and improved.

• Sigzy05Sigzy05 Posts: 19,406 Member
    Meh.

The sims themselves are still all the same, boring and uninteresting.
    mHdgPlU.jpg?1

[/quote]
    I personally don't think TS3 went downhill later in its run. I love all the EPs, even the one I liked least which is Showtime (I have at least one different performance venue in every world I play). I even love the stuff packs you don't like because I have found uses for all of them, especially since they are CAStable. I'm glad that they were all made! 🥰
    [/quote]

Did you ever play Island Paradise? It was a game-breaking buggy mess. I had Merfolks swim up the terrain, non-funciontal underwater lots where the game would stutter, freeze and but out. And that was on a good day. Most of the time I couldn't even load into Isla Paradisio because the moment I'd open up a save the game would freeze and then crash to desktop. :-/ That's not even mentioning the invasion of Showtime Performers who'd perform until they sunk through the terrain and became impossible to retrieve w/o cheats (or mods) or the supernatural and celebrity invasions that weren't fixed until Supernatural, and even then they were still somewhat broken as there was an invasion of mermaids because they forgot to add a toggle to stop random NPC's from turning into them. :-/

While I love TS3, there was plenty wrong with the game, especially towards the end of its life.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    edited September 2020
    Did you ever play Island Paradise? It was a game-breaking buggy mess. I had Merfolks swim up the terrain, non-funciontal underwater lots where the game would stutter, freeze and but out. And that was on a good day. Most of the time I couldn't even load into Isla Paradisio because the moment I'd open up a save the game would freeze and then crash to desktop. :-/ That's not even mentioning the invasion of Showtime Performers who'd perform until they sunk through the terrain and became impossible to retrieve w/o cheats (or mods) or the supernatural and celebrity invasions that weren't fixed until Supernatural, and even then they were still somewhat broken as there was an invasion of mermaids because they forgot to add a toggle to stop random NPC's from turning into them. :-/

While I love TS3, there was plenty wrong with the game, especially towards the end of its life.

Thats odd, for me the latest few packs of the Sims 3 was of great quality content wise and I have lot of enjoyment playing those packs even today and maybe I'm the fortunate enough not to notice any of those bugs you mentioned except the lag fest on Isla Paradiso but I managed to fix that by bulldozing the troubled lots
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited September 2020

All the things you've mentioned from Showtime and Supernatural I honestly have not encountered and I am all about playing in live mode in TS3.

With Island Paradise which is my most favorite EP ever, it started to lag severely 20 minutes into live mode the first time I played while my sim was windsurfing. But by that time, I loved the world and the features I've already tried out, that I wanted to fix them. And I did and I've never had those problems with it again. I also never had the problems you've mentioned either - all the scuba diving lots always worked whether made by EAxis or fan-made, and Island Paradise never crashed on me.

I think it may have to do with your computer set up because those things you talk about doesn't happen to everyone. You can go to the TS3 section of this forum and get help there. It is worth it! That EP is SO MUCH FUN with so much to do!!!

The Sims 3 Island Paradise Launch Trailer
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BTIGeKpepY

Even with the supposed problems near the end of its run, TS3 EPs and SPs are still packed full of gameplay and useful content to the very last. I really love everything about it! 🥰

• phantasmkissphantasmkiss Posts: 1,520 Member
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    Doesn't the second option go hand in hand with the third?

No matter how many packs they make, it won't make the actual Sims more interesting or unique.

*waves cane at kids* Back in my day, Sims had different reactions to things based on their personality! The brave Sim would put out the fire or fight a burglar, the excitable Sim would clap with glee at every little good thing that happened. *trails off muttering about moodlets*
    4TJdLHA.png
    Tumblr | Sims 4 Gallery | Sims 3 Page
    Baby Darling: My 100 Baby Challenge | Generation 1 | Donors 10 | Adult Children 8 | First Post | Most Recent
    Give Me a Story, I'll Give You a Build | The Bunker Challenge | CowplantSports
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,115 Member
    edited September 2020
    logion wrote: »

These people act like they aren’t paid to do their job. Doing someone’s taxes can be hard, and if you do a poor job you don’t just get to lecture the person who is paying you about how hard your job is or the pressures involved in doing it. Absolute insanity. They need to realize that people aren’t paying them to understand the dynamics of a dysfunctional dev studio they’re being paid to deliver a quality product. Perhaps less time on social media would help, constantly searching for affirmations you’re doing good is unhealthy.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    I'm happy. Doesn't mean I couldn't be happier.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited September 2020
    Destin2016 wrote: »

At this point, I think almost everyone is.

I don’t know if I can say that I’m completely done with the Sims 4 but right now I’m playing the Sims 3 and I can’t really think of a good reason to return to the Sims 4 any time soon other than missing the sims that I got attached to. Sims 3 might not look quite as pretty as the Sims 4 does but it has the better gameplay imho. When I play the Sims 4 it doesn’t hold my attention and play on my iPad at the same time. When I play the Sims 3 I actually play the game. The Sims 3 keeps me busy playing and entertained and I don’t even touch my iPad unless I need to google something about the game. I’m having more fun playing the base game of the Sims 3 right now than I have playing all the packs of the Sims 4, minus the disgusting Star Wars pack cause I’m never buying that. :D
    Post edited by Sharonia on
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    edited September 2020
    I've never been able to relate to when TS3 is called a "buggy mess". If I had an issue with TS3, I usually had a problem with something else on the computer.

TS4 has shut down on me before. The game has frozen and lagged before. Supposedly, an issue with the game clock. At least twice, I had to shut it down through task manager because the darn pointer was frozen too.

My TS4 sims still can't figure out how to use multiple doors simultaneously. I gave up with that one.

No technology is without its bugs.
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,837 Member
    @Sharonia do you have any expansion packs for TS3? If not you're in for a treat. 😊
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    I just uninstalled The Sims 4 ten minutes ago.
    My save file is still there. If they ever go back and make traits matter, undo the ridiculous NAPs, and add some great packs,
    I will install it again, after the game is officially done.
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited September 2020
    @Sharonia do you have any expansion packs for TS3? If not you're in for a treat. 😊

I have a few but I'm holding off installing any for now. I'm wanting to experience the game slow and in the order that things were released originally. I'm setting myself little goals to reach before I will allow myself to install any packs like right now my sims have to save up and buy a new house with at least three bedrooms and have both kids be above the toddler age before I will install world adventures and allow them to go travelling. I'm so excited for when they finally reach this goal.

I'm really enjoying the opportunities and randomness in the Sims 3 and I like that the animations and interactions are slightly more mature. Little details like seeing sims cuddle on a couch when watching tv or cuddling in bed while they sleep, I love that. It makes them seem so much more human.

I can't even get my sims to sit on a couch while watching tv in the Sims 4 and it's infuriating, this is what has driven me away from the Sims 4, it's the lack of functionality and believably that the sims are humans. They don't act human enough, there is no randomness to them and I find that a bit dull. I want to feel like I'm playing people with real personalities when I play the sims.
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,528 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »

I have a few but I'm holding off installing any for now. I'm wanting to experience the game slow and in the order that things were released originally. I'm setting myself little goals to reach before I will allow myself to install any packs like right now my sims have to save up and buy a new house with at least three bedrooms and have both kids be above the toddler age before I will install world adventures and allow them to go travelling. I'm so excited for though when they finally reach this goal.

I'm really enjoying the opportunities and randomness in the Sims 3 and I like that the animations and interactions are slightly more mature. Little details like seeing sims cuddle on a couch when watching tv or cuddling in bed while they sleep, I love that. It makes them seem so much more human.

I can't even get my sims to sit on a couch while watching tv in the Sims 4 and it's infuriating, this is what has driven me away from the Sims 4, it's the lack of functionality and believably that the sims are humans. They don't act human enough, there is no randomness to them and I find that a bit dull. I want to feel like I'm playing people with real personalities when I play the sims.

This is a good way to go. :)
    You could get overwhelmed with so much to do and maybe even miss some features.

The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds