Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Sims 5 in Development - Exciting Clues!

Comments

• NationalPokedexNationalPokedex Posts: 829 Member
    edited September 2020
    I'm still like...is new IP TS5 or is new IP like...a spin-off game? I think it could be either, but what new IP would Maxis make up?

Isn't new IP a completely new title that has no connection to any other of their products?

From my understanding, yes. But I could have a flawed understanding of the nuances of IP.
    For example, the book series A Song of Ice and Fire is IP, but I bet HBO’s Game of Thrones series is its own IP that allows for HBO specific’s aesthetic IP (like using the images from the show or modeling stuff off the actors likenesses for things like merchandise). Which means one IP relies on the existence of another IP (GOT relies on ASOIAF).

Which means...lol..technically TS5 could be considered its own IP existing under the larger umbrella of The Sims IP. And again, I could have all of this wrong and that not be the case at all as I’ve not looked this up, but that is something I would assume could be possible.

Which is why it makes sense to me that it could be TS5 just as much as it could be a completely new game we’ve not seen before.

I guess to your question also, in my previous post where I posed the question of IP, either way I am (perphaps foolishly) assuming that The Sims operates as an umbrella IP and allows for new IPs to exist under it. There is also the possibility that the game is not related to The Sims at all. Hope this all makes sense.

ETA: I looked it up and IP has four types: patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets.

The Sims is trademarked, but I would assume The Sims 4 is copyrighted because it falls under the grouping of computer programs, as defined here:
    wrote:
    Copyright (or author’s right) is a legal term used to describe the rights that creators have over their literary and artistic works. Works covered by copyright range from books, music, paintings, sculpture, and films, to computer programs, databases, advertisements, maps, and technical drawings. [\quote]
    https://www.wipo.int/copyright/en/

Which means TS5 could technically fall under new IP because it would be copyrighted.
  • simgirl1010simgirl1010 Posts: 35,701 Member
    I'm still like...is new IP TS5 or is new IP like...a spin-off game? I think it could be either, but what new IP would Maxis make up?

Isn't new IP a completely new title that has no connection to any other of their products?

Yep.

Basically an intellectual property is classified as any individual franchise or series. And the position specifies a new IP.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited September 2020

From my understanding, yes. But I could have a flawed understanding of the nuances of IP.
    For example, the book series A Song of Ice and Fire is IP, but I bet HBO’s Game of Thrones series is its own IP that allows for HBO specific’s aesthetic IP (like using the images from the show or modeling stuff off the actors likenesses for things like merchandise). Which means one IP relies on the existence of another IP (GOT relies on ASOIAF).

Which means...lol..technically TS5 could be considered its own IP existing under the larger umbrella of The Sims IP. And again, I could have all of this wrong and that not be the case at all as I’ve not looked this up, but that is something I would assume could be possible.

Which is why it makes sense to me that it could be TS5 just as much as it could be a completely new game we’ve not seen before.

I guess to your question also, in my previous post where I posed the question of IP, either way I am (perphaps foolishly) assuming that The Sims operates as an umbrella IP and allows for new IPs to exist under it. There is also the possibility that the game is not related to The Sims at all. Hope this all makes sense.

ETA: I looked it up and IP has four types: patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets.

The Sims is trademarked, but I would assume The Sims 4 is copyrighted because it falls under the grouping of computer programs, as defined here:

Which means TS5 could technically fall under new IP because it would be copyrighted.

I agree with you. The Sims 5 can be considered a new IP because though it's a new iteration in the franchise with its own base game and subsequent EPs and other packs , they can only be played in that game system and no other. Meaning you can't mix packs from other iterations with base games of other iterations, etc., making it a totally unique game in itself.

• LeGardePourpreLeGardePourpre Posts: 15,175 Member
    edited September 2020
    For EA, a new IP is a new franchise, something which doesn't exist yet.

BioWare's Anthem is a new IP, Mass Effect Andromeda isn't a new IP.
    Need For Speed games aren't new IPs.

EA Motive is developing new IP.

"Later in the call, Chief Financial Officer Blake Jorgensen mentioned that the bulk of dollar investment for the publisher is focused on new IP, alongside building new studios and hiring new developers to create those new IP."

EA wants new franchises in their catalog.
    APEX Legends is a new IP

"To say that the launch of Apex Legends exceeded our expectations would be an understatement. 50 million players in the first month (and more since) is staggering for any game, let alone a new IP from a relatively small team who were taking their first swing at a free-to-play game."
  • YamsisimsYamsisims Posts: 111 Member

I agree with you. The Sims 5 can be considered a new IP because though it's a new iteration in the franchise with its own base game and subsequent EPs and other packs , they can only be played in that game system and no other. Meaning you can't mix packs from other iterations with base games of other iterations, etc., making it a totally unique game in itself.

An IP is usually a new franchise. I commend the OP for all of the speculation that has been read into this, but the fact remains that Sims 5 has not been mentioned anywhere. Because it is Maxis doesn't mean necessarily the Sims franchise. What we have here is a lot of blank filling based on hopes and wants. I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade but until I see proof of the Sims 5, I am not counting my chickens. The facts do not support the speculation.

In the words of Sherlock Holmes (paraphrasing): When you come up with a theory before you have facts, you invariably twist the facts to fit the theory instead of changing the theory to fit the facts.
  • luthienrisingluthienrising Posts: 37,617 Member
    edited September 2020
    From a copyright perspective, every add-on to Sims 4 is also technically a new intellectual property. Every "work" under copyright law is an intellectual property. (Source: Me. I used to teach copyright and trademark law as a nonlawyer to nonlawyers, but have read more IP law than your average law student.)
    EA CREATOR NETWORK MEMBER — Want to be notified of patches, new Broken Mods threads, and urgent Sims 4 news? Follow me at https://www.patreon.com/luthienrising.
    I actually had a thought today that it would be really good if Maxis did create new non-The Sims™️ IP because then they would have multiple sources of revenue which would mean maybe they wouldn’t feel the need to have so many packs for The Sims (fingers crossed some day) to generate comparable revenue. Like, the more different games you have the more sources of varied revenue which takes the pressure off of one individual source. Does that make sense?
    edited September 2020
    When I see how an action RPG like Cyberpunk 2077 will "simulate" the life in Night City I begin to wish the next generation of life simulation become life action RPG.
    edited September 2020
    Yamsisims wrote: »

An IP is usually a new franchise. I commend the OP for all of the speculation that has been read into this, but the fact remains that Sims 5 has not been mentioned anywhere. Because it is Maxis doesn't mean necessarily the Sims franchise. What we have here is a lot of blank filling based on hopes and wants. I am not trying to rain on anyone's parade but until I see proof of the Sims 5, I am not counting my chickens. The facts do not support the speculation.

In the words of Sherlock Holmes (paraphrasing): When you come up with a theory before you have facts, you invariably twist the facts to fit the theory instead of changing the theory to fit the facts.

We are in the speculation section are we not? How come people are allowed to speculate about new packs for TS4 but discouraged to speculate about TS5? Because a lot of us have given up on TS4 and want nothing more to do with it, aren't we allowed to hope for better things in the next iteration?

What a killjoy. So let's all of us who no longer play TS4 move on to the competition then, right?

From a copyright perspective, every add-on to Sims 4 is also technically a new intellectual property. Every "work" under copyright law is an intellectual property. (Source: Me. I used to teach copyright and trademark law as a nonlawyer to nonlawyers, but have read more IP law than your average law student.)

Yes, this is what I was trying to explain in my posts (to support that it could technically be TS5, but I understand that it could also be TS4).
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member
    edited September 2020

Maxis is synonymous with Sims for one reason and that being they only make Sims games. The only reason they rebranded The Sims Studio in 2012 back to Maxis was to hype up the idea that the Maxis brand produces quality Sims products (ala SIMCity 2013 and The SIMS 4). It’s harder to actually believe it’s anything but Sims lol. Maxis has released 2 games in the last 10 years and both were critically panned at launch, the first being outright cancelled, and the second being propped up on discount life support until they could figure out how to make money on it. The chances that they secured funding for an entirely new IP are super low. They can barely get funding for Sims 4.

So I’ll give you that Sims 5 hasn’t been explicitly mentioned, but there’s plenty of facts you’re ignoring because you don’t see the one you want to see. Not sure if loosely paraphrasing Sherlock Holmes was a great way to end your discussion on the importance of facts.
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member

We are in the speculation section are we not? How come people are allowed to speculate about new packs for TS4 but discouraged to speculate about TS5? Because a lot of us have given up on TS4 and want nothing more to do with it, aren't we allowed to hope for better things in the next iteration?

What a killjoy. So let's all of us who no longer play TS4 move on to the competition then, right?

This is actually "The Sims 4 Speculation & Rumor" section. Sims 5 talk belongs in Off Topic.
    IceyJ wrote: »

This is actually "The Sims 4 Speculation & Rumor" section. Sims 5 talk belongs in Off Topic.

As long as the mods are fine with it, it should stay in the TS4 Speculation section where it won't get buried.

Unless.....if the mods would like to create a THE SIMS 5 secton of its own, that would be even better! 🥰

• IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    IceyJ wrote: »

As long as the mods are fine with it, it should stay in the TS4 Speculation section where it won't get buried.

Unless.....if the mods would like to create a THE SIMS 5 secton of its own, that would be even better! 🥰

People have been asking for a TS5 section for a long time. But they won't do it because that would be like confirming it exists. I don't know why these threads stopped getting moved to off topic, but they used to get moved.
  • MareahMareah Posts: 792 Member
    They said it was alright to keep ts5 threads in this section unless they state otherwise. They cant make a sims 5 section, that might make people assume it is coming soon, or that it is confirmed. I think some of the sims 5 speculation can be looked at as related to sims 4 since its development/release date also ties with speculation about the lifespan of ts4.
    TS5 is at the very least already confirmed for PS5 so they SHOULD create a TS5 section already.

• comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    Scobre wrote: »

Well, it’s only a shame for those who do not enjoy or have never enjoyed the game and therefore feel they wasted their money.

Even for those who do enjoy the game but insist in buying every pack out there it's going to be hard after having spent a fortune. This is the first time there are soooooo many packs people are getting very attached.
    With the Sims 3 we got a lot of packs but there was a healthier feeling of being attached and ready to move on.

This time around it's a fortune in extra content people refuse to separate themselves from.
    Totally. I think it will be the hardest for people to move on too.
    who says anyone has to move on I still play sims 3 and 2 as well as 4
    also sims 3 still has more stuff you forgot the online store
    more for sim kids and more drama please
    TS5 is at the very least already confirmed for PS5 so they SHOULD create a TS5 section already.

it wasn't confirmed the people at the magazine were just guessing

it wasn't confirmed the people at the magazine were just guessing

No, TS5 is officially on the PS5 list.

• ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    For EA, a new IP is a new franchise, something which doesn't exist yet.

BioWare's Anthem is a new IP, Mass Effect Andromeda isn't a new IP.
    Need For Speed games aren't new IPs.

EA Motive is developing new IP.

"Later in the call, Chief Financial Officer Blake Jorgensen mentioned that the bulk of dollar investment for the publisher is focused on new IP, alongside building new studios and hiring new developers to create those new IP."

EA wants new franchises in their catalog.
    Maxis did open up a new studio in Texas, so who knows maybe they'll bring back SimCity?
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    edited September 2020

Well, it’s only a shame for those who do not enjoy or have never enjoyed the game and therefore feel they wasted their money.

Even for those who do enjoy the game but insist in buying every pack out there it's going to be hard after having spent a fortune. This is the first time there are soooooo many packs people are getting very attached.
    With the Sims 3 we got a lot of packs but there was a healthier feeling of being attached and ready to move on.

This time around it's a fortune in extra content people refuse to separate themselves from.
    Yeah nice for now, but every Sims game has a life. They haven't updated the Sims 2 and and the Sims 1 to be sold on Origin. Sims 1 doesn't even run on Windows 10 legally. Eventually Simmers won't be able to play the older games. :( Thankfully Nintendo at least is bringing back many of their original games for the Switch. EA kind of dumps and forgets about their older games. They are no Nintendo, but then again Nintendo is a much older company too and has more experience with gaming.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    edited September 2020

Yeah nice for now, but every Sims game has a life. They haven't updated the Sims 2 and and the Sims 1 to be sold on Origin. Sims 1 doesn't even run on Windows 10 legally. Eventually Simmers won't be able to play the older games. :( Thankfully Nintendo at least is bringing back many of their original games for the Switch. EA kind of dumps and forgets about their older games. They are no Nintendo, but then again Nintendo is a much older company too and has more experience with gaming.

and that is why you keep an older pc if you can also I like what Nintendo is doing with there older games maybe ea will
    see how well there doing and do the smart thing and update there older games

and that is why you keep an older pc if you can also I like what Nintendo is doing with there older games maybe ea will
    see how well there doing and do the smart thing and update there older games
    I hope so, I have been begging them enough about it. XD I can play the Sims on my parents' computers if I need to. It just doesn't run on this one since I've upgraded. But there are so many cool games I play on it and nice I can swap it out like car parts to upgrade if I need to since it is a custom built desktop. I still have my NES that runs well and I can still play the original Duck Hunt/Mario game that got me started in gaming.
  • gnelso1239gnelso1239 Posts: 190 Member
    Years folks, YEARS, that's how far away ANY potential Sims5 game is.