Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Simmer Erin explains everything that went wrong with Sims 4

BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
edited September 2020 in The Sims 4 Game Feedback
Serously, I knew they had to in a panic change things after Sim City bombed, but having like 0 budget on top of it??
Also... no wonder the skin tones for non-white people are bad. The "Oprah" and "Feisty Latina" (cringe for the names in itself!) explains the concept artist had no clue what PoC actually look like.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=74VNX5BwG-Q
Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
Post edited by EA_Joz on

Comments

• DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    🐸🐸🐸🐸 I love the concept arts they went with though. Right between TS3 and what ultimately became TS4.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,718 Member
    edited September 2020
    I remember looking at some early concept art from Monsoo Lee a couple of years ago and I thought it looked okay, but that was mostly the teen rock star and some other pictures. I did not see that Oprah picture.

It definitely feels like Lee's designs are what they used to create how the base game sims look like in they do in the sims4 today. I think they look good, but I think they should have given them more budget so they would look less cartoony. It doesn't really feel like that was the look Lee was going for. Lee has a lot more attention to detail and it looks like the different heights did not make it into the final game either.

If they will make a sims5 I hope that they will have a larger budget and go for something a bit more realistic with more detail.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member
    logion wrote: »
    I remember looking at some early concept art from Monsoo Lee a couple of years ago and I thought it looked okay, but that was mostly the teen rock star and some other pictures. I did not see that Oprah picture.

It definitely feels like Lee's designs are what they used to create how the base game sims look like in they do in the sims4 today. I think they look good, but I think they should have given them more budget so they would look less cartoony. It doesn't really feel like that was the look like Lee was going for.

If they will make a sims5 I hope that they will have a larger budget and go for something a bit more realistic, I am not a fan of the clay hair design.

The art style is amazing, I think but i have always liked this (I don't even play WoW but I have always loved that art style and even more so in Overwatch that has a very similar style to Sims 4) but the problem with a small budget are the things she mentions that skimping on different renders and stuff. Thus, I imagine, problems with the weird defects and effects on skin colors etc.
    edited September 2020

It definitely feels like Lee's designs are what they used to create how the base game sims look like in they do in the sims4 today. I think they look good, but I think they should have given them more budget so they would look less cartoony. It doesn't really feel like that was the look like Lee was going for.

If they will make a sims5 I hope that they will have a larger budget and go for something a bit more realistic, I am not a fan of the clay hair design.

The art style is amazing, I think but i have always liked this (I don't even play WoW but I have always loved that art style and even more so in Overwatch that has a very similar style to Sims 4) but the problem with a small budget are the things she mentions that skimping on different renders and stuff. Thus, I imagine, problems with the weird defects and effects on skin colors etc.

Yeah I love that art style too, I think Overwatch did a better job capturing that art style. Probably because they had a different budget and it was more what they were going for.

tfw-it-is-sequel-time.jpg
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    edited September 2020
    I gotta admit that I always have a hard time picking any vanilla non-white skintone due to what you explain about effects, which never has been a problem in previous iterations.
    The irony being that TS4 team is making it obvious, blatant even (regards to the covers of MANY gp/eps) that they are targeting black teens, whilst not giving them the proper shades.
    Part of me is looking forward to the new skintones they're gonna add, while the other is anxious regards to the potential CC break it might induce.
    edited September 2020
    @logion Overwatch also probably had four times the budget and came out three years later.
    Post edited by Beardedgeek on
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member
    edited September 2020

Yeah I love that art style too, I think Overwatch did a better job capturing that art style. Probably because they had a different budget and it was more what they were going for.

You're also comparing an animated short to in-game graphics. That's not what Overwatch or Overwatch 2 look like.
    OEII1001 wrote: »

You're also comparing an animated short to in-game graphics. That's not what Overwatch or Overwatch 2 look like.

That's still kinda the art style they went for though? I will admit that the game has more simpler graphics.
  • OEII1001OEII1001 Posts: 3,682 Member

That's still kinda the art style they went for though? I will admit that the game has more simpler graphics.

The in-game textures in Overwatch are comparable to The Sims 4. The game is designed to be run on low and mid-range desktops.

If you want in-game Overwatch I engine graphics watch the Junkertown short on the tube. It is done in-engine completely (except the 2D animated intro, of course).
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    Also... no wonder the skin tones for non-white people are bad. The "Oprah" and "Feisty Latina" (cringe for the names in itself!) explains the concept artist had no clue what PoC actually look like.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=74VNX5BwG-Q
    Gross. Just gross.

This brings into question how much diversity is among the Sims team. I'm guessing very little.

752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • JACKIEJOYJACKIEJOY Posts: 802 Member
    The fact that they had no money after the millions of dollars that 3 raked in Wes shifted to Titanfall is the part that tics me off.