Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Can people mod the open world for the Sims 4?

2...Next

Comments

• FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited September 2015
    I would say if someone is willing to make the hardware commitment to playing the Sims and build a gaming PC and play it a lot, they could be called a hardcore gamer. However, if they basically play Zynga games and want Sims to run on their Chromebook, not so much so. And this is the problem -- they want the casual players to spend money like the hardcore gamers. That won't happen.

Edit: The people who have gaming as their passion and hobby are the audience that will lay out the large investments. The people who want it to run in a browser are the ones more likely to spend a dollar on a microtransaction. If they want the former, they need to make a robust game which may actually shut some casual players out completely. If they want the latter, they need to be prepared to lose their bigger, but perhaps less frequent, spenders.
  • EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    @Erpe if you look at your own link about casuals players you gonna see which casual player have 2 types, casual players are not just peoples playing in low machines or don't care fore quality
    "The term "casual gamer" is often used for gamers who primarily play casual games, but can also refer to gamers who play less frequently than other gamers.[3] Casual gamers may play games designed for ease of gameplay, or play more involved games in short sessions, or at a slower pace than hardcore gamers.
    not all the casual players like to play low quality games or have low ending game machines

that is the problem in the same way you can have peoples which like to play in low end game or low quality game you can find casual gamers which actually like to have good games or good machines but they don't play in the same ritmy as harcore
    i'm a hardcore gamer i play like 12 to 16h almost every day(excluding when i need to some works and help my mother) but everytime i have free time i like to play.

i have a friend which is casual but he have a much strong machine than me a top game machine and have all top games but he only play like 2 to 4 hours per day he is a casual player but prefer to expend more of his time with others things.

then ea/maxis is not really targeting the whole "casual player" with sims series they are targeting the ones which play in low endmachines and are not too much into quality.
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • sam123sam123 Posts: 4,539 Member
    Hopeinen wrote: »
    Would open neighborhoods be possible? Not for modders but for the developers, as the "world" in Sims 4 consists of several different sections its impossible to have a completely open world.

Anything's possible, they wouldn't do it though. Too much time and money.
  • ErpeErpe Posts: 5,872 Member
    @Ellessarr Nobody prefer to play on low-end hardware. But casual gamers will only buy expensive hardware for their gaming if they have a lot of money because obviously other things are more important for them to buy.

Anyway I am sure that there are a lot of hardcore gamers in this forum because casual gamers would rarely or never use so much money for their gaming as many people here do.

But even this doesn't prove EA wrong in their assumption that the Sims games are played more by casual gamers than EA's other games because only about 1% of the people who buy Sims games ever visit this forum. A lot of Sims games are probably bought as presents for birthdays or Christmas to casual gamers who often don't play them very much. Many of those simmers probably don't have a special gaming computer and they would often never buy it. So EA may be right in keeping the minimum requirements low to avoid losing a lot of customers.

So to get back on topic: EA chose to omit the open world to keep the minimum requirements low enough for people still being able to buy the game as a present to a casual gamer who only had a cheap computer for her school work. I actually think that EA could be right here even though we didn't like it and would have preferred TS4 to have been a 64 bit game for high end computers.
  • Renamed1712212219Renamed1712212219 Posts: 19 New Member
    I bet the community could if EAMaxis would just start giving them all the programs they used for creating the game but oh no that is their biggest nightmare.
  • EllessarrEllessarr Posts: 2,795 Member
    Erpe wrote: »
    @Ellessarr Nobody prefer to play on low-end hardware. But casual gamers will only buy expensive hardware for their gaming if they have a lot of money because obviously other things are more important for them to buy.

Anyway I am sure that there are a lot of hardcore gamers in this forum because casual gamers would rarely or never use so much money for their gaming as many people here do.

But even this doesn't prove EA wrong in their assumption that the Sims games are played more by casual gamers than EA's other games because only about 1% of the people who buy Sims games ever visit this forum. A lot of Sims games are probably bought as presents for birthdays or Christmas to casual gamers who often don't play them very much. Many of those simmers probably don't have a special gaming computer and they would often never buy it. So EA may be right in keeping the minimum requirements low to avoid losing a lot of customers.

So to get back on topic: EA chose to omit the open world to keep the minimum requirements low enough for people still being able to buy the game as a present to a casual gamer who only had a cheap computer for her school work. I actually think that EA could be right here even though we didn't like it and would have preferred TS4 to have been a 64 bit game for high end computers.

again not really i know a lot of casual which even not being rich to have top end machines, they still make some efforts to have "medium scope machines" specially in my country is very common even peoples don't have large money but keep buying medium to high expensive things cuz we learn which aways try to have the most expensive possible and only really peoples which are no interested at all are the ones which don't expend the money, again casual gamers have a large scope.

in the same way i have friends which are rich but they only play in mobiles, because they just don't want expend money in buy games but prefer to expend money in free games with micro transations,

you can find many type of players which different taste.

from you point could be right, but for a really good game develop not was right because game market is a big money grab and gamers are avid costumers which if you give them what they wants or at last is good enough to mask the game with awesome graphics you can get a huge ammount of money, then make a game targeting "low ending machines" will make gamers not look to sims and only low ending machines get interest on it, any person which was waiting for a awesome game will eventually leave what is happening now, we get a lot of youtubers get tired of the game, more and more peoples get anger not only in forum but twitter facebook, the game is being handled about "sales" and lies to keep it selling, that show how bad things are in market for sims 4, they are not getting the oney they expecating and more customers get anger less sales.
    tumblr_mfiuwmQOLI1qgap4ho1_500.gif
  • phoebebebe13phoebebebe13 Posts: 19,400 Member
    edited September 2015
    @Earp I will tell you this forum is a mix of casual gamer on low end computers, med or high ones. The casual gamer does not have specific hardware that is only low end.

Im in the tech thread most of the time. There are some people dont want to spend more than $500 for a computer. We have a lot of children in this forum who can't afford $800-1000. Gaming is an expensive hobby. These are people that want to buy expensive games but not buy a computer that plays those games. These are people that only want to play on laptop. The games requirements are for desktop not laptop.

These people with low end specs can no longer play the game even though they bought the game. EA does loose sales from this if those people cant continue to play or buy extensions of the game and will not go out and buy a new computer to play the game. Not only does EA loose money in sales but the person who bought the game they cant play losses money too

People need to stop thinking and stating the sims 4 was designed for low end machines. It was not. The specs are the same for sims 3 and 4 complete game only the games are programmed differently.

Again I will state the minimum requirements are for base game only and should be ignored if someone wants to play this game. There are several in here would just make the minimum requirements but can no longer pay since the game has added more.

The sims 3 minimum requirements are really low end but for all of us that know the sims 3 again ignore the minimum requirements they are for base game only and own a computer that meets the recommended requirements

This means to play these games you need a med level gaming desktop or higher end gaming laptop to equal the specs of a med level gaming desktop

If EA wanted to cater to low end , that is what sims apps and ds versions are for. This game is not an app or is it for low end

Add: to stay on topic all the more reason we should have open world
    Post edited by phoebebebe13 on
  • ENolanENolan Posts: 2,735 Member
    The open neighborhood overhaul was something I was looking into since launch actually... Granted, I'm extremely new to modding and fair with coding so I didn't get too far.
  • HagfisherHagfisher Posts: 950 Member
    Hmm, it wouldn't really be possible to have the WHOLE neighborhood open, but my dad says that opening up the little neighborhoods would be more than possible, but is it practical?

You'd have to be very talented and willing to go in the very "brains" of the game to edit this; the developers at EA would know more, and people who have programmed for years would be the best fit to change the coding. I can see sims moving around in their house across the streets; I know this is a very possible thing to change.

Obviously, the loading screens are doing something while we transfer to another lot. You'd have to figure that part out and do more computer... stuffy... stuff... things....

Our best bet is that EA decides to open up the small neighborhood sections of the world, but I don't see that happening. That would be difficult and would be expensive.

But surely they'd take the time for us loyal fans?

The lots are different cells, I guess. You'd have to change the small sections to be one big cell like in Sims 3, but these things are decided when the game is in its early stages.

I asked my dad if he'd help but he said "LOL get EA to do that...." so....
    125722018d2ffda673d70ee3796940a120b51e40.png

• Alex JordanAlex Jordan Posts: 2 New Member
    Thx all for posting, u guys talk way 2 smart for me (in a good way, im kinda dumXD) Anyway today is the day I actually play the Sims 4! Can't wait!!!
  • 31331f31331f Posts: 6 New Member
    if you want open world mod i think i found one barely: https://twitter.com/KawaiiStacie/status/1205267424150511618
  • EA_JozEA_Joz Posts: 3,164 EA Staff (retired)
    Hello everyone, please remember that necroposting is against the rules. I've gone ahead and closed the thread.

Please review our Posting Rules & Guidelines here:

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/forum-rules

~EA_Joz
This discussion has been closed.
Return to top