Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Sims 4 has passed 30 million players across all platforms

Congrats to the Sims 4 team. This has been my favorite of the Sims games.

Comments

• Nate_Whiplash1Nate_Whiplash1 Posts: 4,085 Member
    I'm honestly not surprised, it's a great game with wide appeal. It's also very versatile--you can tell the story any way you want to, from mild to wild
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    cool yay :)
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited September 2020
    It’s a wonderful game when it works right and it has gorgeous graphics so I’m not surprised that it has so many players. I will probably return to it again at some point in the future if they ever fix the bugs, improve the gameplay and for the love of god make the sims sit down to watch TV and eat.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    edited September 2020
    I assume that you mean lifetime players, that is not active players and it is since 2014.

I think active players are around 10 million. Which is still, a lot.
  • MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member
    logion wrote: »
    I assume that you mean lifetime players, that is not active players and it is since 2014.

No it is active players... google it. EA reported it in their quater profit call. Well here is a link:

https://twinfinite.net/2020/07/electronic-arts-results-q1-2021/

• Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member
    30 million players is £1,050,000,000 in base games alone (no expansions)
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king
    edited September 2020
    Mendota wrote: »

No it is active players... google it. EA reported it in their quater profit call. Well here is a link:

https://twinfinite.net/2020/07/electronic-arts-results-q1-2021/

It's LTD (Life to Date) amount of players since the game launched. https://s22.q4cdn.com/894350492/files/doc_financials/2021/q1/EA-Transcript.pdf Start of page 4, mentioned as well at the end of page 5.

Active players reached record high, so they still have a lot of active players but they don't say how many they are in that report.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2020
    More interesting (in my opinion) would be for them to tell shareholders how many of the players that received a free copy of base (given away several times) did had they continued to maintain retain (keep buying and playing). That would be interesting to know if those new players kept buying and stuck around and or how they plan on keeping those players as returning customers. Oh, and if by active players they meant that at any given point in time there were x amount of people playing the game or just on the gallery, and or if they meant x amount of players over a running total of months or just at one point in time. I actually don't think it's fair to compare the pc game to the mobile game, and filled with microtransactons like buying recolors, to 'active' players and or within an iteration's lifetime but format to format would be a better breakdown in my opinion. Maybe more people play Sims mobile than the pc game with such vague numbers. How many console players, how many pc gamers, how many Mobile players would be more interesting to me. And did they give away those games away for free several times to reach the numbers. ETA: And if since it's numbers for 'The Sims' does that mean they aren't counting Sims Free Play in there, too? I think they are saying across all platforms which isn't a great reflection on a game but more interesting to know the break down of which type of players stuck with them for several months or years in a row and how many who got games for free dropped out.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited September 2020
    Cinebar wrote: »
    More interesting (in my opinion) would be for them to tell shareholders how many of the players that received a free copy of base (given away several times) did had they continued to maintain retain (keep buying and playing). That would be interesting to know if those new players kept buying and stuck around and or how they plan on keeping those players as returning customers. Oh, and if by active players they meant that at any given point in time there were x amount of people playing the game or just on the gallery, and or if they meant x amount of players over a running total of months or just at one point in time. I actually don't think it's fair to compare the pc game to the mobile game, and filled with microtransactons like buying recolors, to 'active' players and or within a iteration's lifetime but format to format would be a better breakdown in my opinion. Maybe more people play Sims mobile than the pc game with such vague numbers.

It would be interesting to know how many of their lifetime players that are still active today. It's easy to say that the game have a lot of people that have started the game once since 2014. But how many of those people play the the game regularly today? That's why I am more interested in active players, but they don't mention those numbers very often in their reports.
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    More interesting (in my opinion) would be for them to tell shareholders how many of the players that received a free copy of base (given away several times) did had they continued to maintain retain (keep buying and playing). That would be interesting to know if those new players kept buying and stuck around and or how they plan on keeping those players as returning customers. Oh, and if by active players they meant that at any given point in time there were x amount of people playing the game or just on the gallery, and or if they meant x amount of players over a running total of months or just at one point in time. I actually don't think it's fair to compare the pc game to the mobile game, and filled with microtransactons like buying recolors, to 'active' players and or within a iteration's lifetime but format to format would be a better breakdown in my opinion. Maybe more people play Sims mobile than the pc game with such vague numbers.

It would be interesting to know how many of their lifetime players that are still active today. It's easy to say that the game have a lot of people that have started the game once since 2014. But how many of those people play the the game regularly today? That's why I am more interested in active players, but they don't mention those numbers very often in their reports.

If skintones can bring back players then they must have really, really loved TS4 if they waited six years to see the corrections and improvements and or even extra (100) more skintones when they could just get custom content that would be ten times better and or return to older games (skintones of any type in any of these games haven't been all that great) where they could have done this stuff themselves. If people actually return because of this, then I have no idea why they left it when custom skins have always been better tones than Maxis in all the last three games.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    edited September 2020

If skintones can bring back players then they must have really, really loved TS4 if they waited six years to see the corrections and improvements and or even extra (100) more skintones when they could just get custom content that would be ten times better and or return to older games (skintones of any type in any of these games haven't been all that great) where they could have done this stuff themselves. If people actually return because of this, then I have no idea why they left it when custom skins have always been better tones than Maxis in all the last three games.

I think Maxis updates like skin tones, the inventory update etc. can bring some players back because they improve the game significantly for active players while content like spark'd, their celebrity promotions etc. are maybe interesting for new players but I think active players are not that much interested in it because they have played the game for so long already.

Their packs can only keep a player that has played since 2014 interested for so long before they get tired of it.
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    I‘d like to know where all the money is going...
    wow its almost like every time something nice is said about sims 4 the people who don't like it can't take it I mean you don't see
    people going over to sims 3 and 2 threads that are positive and being all negative about them
    edited September 2020
    wow its almost like every time something nice is said about sims 4 the people who don't like it can't take it I mean you don't see
    people going over to sims 3 and 2 threads that are positive and being all negative about them

I apologize, It was not my intention to be mean to the OP. It's just that I have seen a lot of people quote that report thinking that the sims4 have 30 million active players.

I will leave you alone now, Happy Simming.
    edited September 2020
    The Sims 4 Surpasses 30 Million Players After Its Best Quarter Ever

The Sims 4 now has over 30 million players following its most active quarter ever, 10 million of whom started playing the game since January 2020. from screen rant
    edited September 2020

I apologize, It was not my intention to be mean to the OP. It's just that I have seen a lot of people quote that report thinking that the sims4 have 30 million active players.

I will leave you alone now, Happy Simming.

pointing out a mistake is fine I was talking about stuff like this from your post above
    Their packs can only keep a player that has played since 2014 interested for so long before they get tired of it.
  • So_MoneySo_Money Posts: 2,536 Member

Amen.
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    i thought they already passed that amount of players??

same
  • MendotaMendota Posts: 794 Member
    The money is going to pay the developers and the share holders. You know I really don't understand why if people don't care for the game, why not just stop playing it, and leave it alone. I mean I hated Sims 3, and I stopped playing it and left it alone. What I didn't do was go to the forums and complain to those that did enjoy it. And it is not like the previous games did not have issues. All of the games will have issues from time to time because of how complex they are. It is just a fact of life with modern coding. There is not a program out there that is bug free to include all the Sims games. I don't post here often, and it is time for me to go. Happy Simming everyone.
  • babajaynebabajayne Posts: 1,866 Member
    edited September 2020
    It doesn’t surprise me that there was a significant increase in players between April 1, 2020 - June 30, 2020. The Covid-19 lockdown didn’t leave many options for most of the world. It wouldn’t even surprise me to find that many users bought 1-3 DLC, it’s probably more likely IMO they already wanted/needed more content to add to the base game. If EA is doing so well and The Sims 4 is making them so much money I look forward to seeing how that improves the quality of the game. 😏
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    edited September 2020
    Mendota wrote: »
    The money is going to pay the developers and the share holders. You know I really don't understand why if people don't care for the game, why not just stop playing it, and leave it alone.

Because in 6 years it has become a mockery of a game, which technically belongs to a franchise (The Sims) most of us love.
    Personally, I don't care about what they add; if I don't like it, I don't buy it. But TS4 is the only game in the series (and quite frankly I don't have other examples of other games in mind) to RETRACT features during its course.
    So technically I bought a game and some expansions that has now LESS content/features than what it had before the infamous EL patch.
    I paid, so I ain't leaving that alone or silenced.

Asking the real questions here. I'm sure the answer would delight us all.
  • SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    edited September 2020

They really should use it to employ some competent programmers. If it takes them over three months to fix what I would consider to be game breaking bugs and over six years to figure out how to make the sims sit down on a chair to watch TV then it appears to me that they're rather lacking in this area of employment. I'm sorry to be negative but honestly I do love this game and I would just really just like them to fix it so that I can actually enjoy playing it again some day. I miss my TS4 sims but I just can't deal with the issues anymore. :#
    Sharonia wrote: »

They really should use it to employ some competent programmers. If it takes them over three months to fix what I would consider to be game breaking bugs and over six years to figure out how to make the sims sit down on a chair to watch TV then it appears to me that they're rather lacking in this area of employment. I'm sorry to be negative but honestly I do love this game and I would just really just like them to fix it so that I can actually enjoy playing it again some day. I miss my TS4 sims but I just can't deal with the issues anymore. :#

things are slow right now for all game companies don't worry so much things will get fixed :)
    @sharonia
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    Congrats to them!

As for if people got it cheap/onsale... I know I did. Not Free, I waited til it was around $20 though and have gotten lots of packs on sale. I have all the current packs except 3 and play regularly though so I think I'd count in that.

With Sims 3 I waited until it was on sale for $5 and only bought a few $5 sale expansion packs.. And then quit playing soon after trying it. I'd still count as a customer. There's people that did that with either game.

I'm not sure why it matters towards the total active numbers how much you paid for it. THey still made a ton of $ overall when you look at their earnings, regardless of what people paid. And their numbers of players are still extremely high, as is their profit. But I think every game in the world will have peoplle that just try it out and then quit factored into that.

Congrats to them!

As for if people got it cheap/onsale... I know I did. Not Free, I waited til it was around $20 though and have gotten lots of packs on sale. I have all the current packs except 3 and play regularly though so I think I'd count in that.

With Sims 3 I waited until it was on sale for $5 and only bought a few $5 sale expansion packs.. And then quit playing soon after trying it. I'd still count as a customer. There's people that did that with either game.

I'm not sure why it matters towards the total active numbers how much you paid for it. THey still made a ton of $ overall when you look at their earnings, regardless of what people paid. And their numbers of players are still extremely high, as is their profit. But I think every game in the world will have peoplle that just try it out and then quit factored into that.

I agree I mean you cant know if you like it or not unless you try