Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

EA Play: Do Purchases Transfer?

Hiii! ;)
So I keep seeing that Origin is changing to EA Play, and I'm worried about losing all the games I've bought. You can't buy the Sims games in person, and apparently they no longer make the only kind of Visa I can afford. If our purchased games do not transfer over to EA Play, I'm going to lose everything literally forever. Unless I pay a relative to use their Visa to buy it for me, and....it would just be so much easier if they sold it in stores like every other game. Why are the Sims sold so exclusively anyway? :(
Any comment appreciated! Stay safe!
Be safe.

Comments

• TurjanTurjan Posts: 1,713 Member
    You probably mean EA Desktop, not EA Play. You can read in the FAQ:

"Will I be able to switch back to Origin once I download the beta app?
    Origin will remain live, so you’ll be free to toggle between the apps to continue playing the games you love in either experience.

Where can I find the purchases I made on EA Desktop?
    Purchases made through the beta are tied to your EA Account — they will appear on both Origin and EA Desktop."

Or, in other words, for the time being, nothing changes, and your purchases are tied to your EA Account in general anyway.
  • RiverBlossomRiverBlossom Posts: 255 Member
    Awesome. Thank you.
    Be safe.
  • igazorigazor Posts: 19,330 Member
    edited September 2020
    EA Play is a monthly subscription service and is what Origin Access is changing to. Not regular Origin. The subscription services will have no impact on those who have already purchased or plan to purchase their games in the more traditional ways. Under the subscription services, when you drop a game or walk away from it and stop playing, then you have nothing as you were just "renting" the license to play.

EA Desktop
    is what Origin (the regular kind) is becoming. I believe it's a redo of the programming involved on what is now the regular Origin client and a name change, but the basic idea is that players have purchased a license or provided a key to play their games for as long as they have the means to do so, not by way of some kind of monthly fee rental agreement. Just like the EADM (EA Download Manager) became regular Origin some time in the past, regular Origin will become EA Desktop.

And of course those on Steam or retail disc only (with no Origin involvement) installs do not need to be concerned about any of this.
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    Our new site is at http://nraas.net
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    Don't switch to the beta EA Desktop just yet if you still play older games like Sims 2. Last I heard, older titles aren't showing up yet under EA Desktop but they should once it's out of beta.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
  • GraceyManorGraceyManor Posts: 20,079 Member
    edited September 2020
    So what exactly is EA desktop.
    And what exactly does that mean for us? I don't want
    to have to rebuy the games all over again.
    edited September 2020
    It is the next generation of Origin, and what Origin is slowly in the process of becoming. Not quite sure how else to put this, it's not an evil plot to take players' games away (well, not on purpose anyway). It's the next evolutionary stage of EA's desktop client.
    Post edited by igazor on
    o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
  • SimplyJenSimplyJen Posts: 14,823 Member
    edited September 2020

It's a new client just like Origin but apparently, this one won't be such a resource hog. It's not wiping your game library. A rebranding if you will.
    i7-13700K • 16GB • RTX 4070
    S3 simblr: http://simplysimming.tumblr.com/
    S4 simblr: http://simlogic.tumblr.com/
    edited September 2020
    t's not an evil plot to take player's games away (well, not on purpose anyway)

Uh...that doesn't sound promising... :D The only games I care about is Sims 3 and Dragon Age.
    They can gladly take Sims 4 back.I bought it when it first came out and literally only played 6 hrs of it. :D

Uh...that doesn't sound promising... :D
    Oh, you want guarantees? I think one of us is in the wrong place. >:)

But I mean there isn't much one can do if one's games are tied to Origin. Some day Origin users will be presented with a download or update to EA Desktop and will no longer be able to play their games if they don't accept it. Or some such sequence like that.

o550pjoa47rpxo63g.jpg
    NRaas has moved!
    igazor wrote: »

But I mean there isn't much one can do if one's games are tied to Origin. Some day Origin users will be presented with a download or update to EA Desktop and will no longer be able to play their games if they don't accept it. Or some such sequence like that.

Oh, I'll accept the update...No issues there.Just wasn't sure if it was something that would wipe my game
    library or force a subscription on me like gamefly.XD
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member

It’s just a rebranding of Origin. Like “new look, same great taste!” on a candy bar with new colors on its packaging.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,403 Member
    igazor wrote: »

Oh, I'll accept the update...No issues there.Just wasn't sure if it was something that would wipe my game
    library or force a subscription on me like gamefly.XD

I'm not until they iron out all the bugs.

"Ooops...whoops...I guess we lost your codes to the games you bought... um...no we can't recover them...so sorry. you'll have to buy them again..."
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~