Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Best Build Mode

2...Next

Comments

• BatmanFanGirlBatmanFanGirl Posts: 1,298 Member
    edited September 2020
    I'm not sure how to answer this.... I don't build and just download buildings off the gallery or in the case of sims 2/3 off other websites. Should I answer it based on which houses I feel I like more?
    heartstopper-couple.gif
  • ChadSims2ChadSims2 Posts: 5,090 Member
    The Sims 4
    Build mode is one of the few things Sims 4 has going for it though no water tool is a huge downfall for me.
    Sims 4 went from "You Rule" to "One of the stories we want you to tell"
  • QueenMercyQueenMercy Posts: 1,680 Member
    The Sims 4
    I was really bad at building in the sims 3 and not having to switch between build/buy mode is extremely useful. The roof and stair tools are really neat too.
  • DeKayDeKay Posts: 81,472 Member
    The Sims 4
    The Sims 4 Build mode is hands down, the best. It's not perfect like, it's terrain tool might not be as customizable as TS2's or TS3's but the main bulk of the mode like building a house is really good and so intuitive.
    My Top Song of the Day: Fancy Footwork by Chromeo
    FwDXXd5.gif
  • DaraviDaravi Posts: 1,135 Member
    edited September 2020
    The Sims 4
    I voted for Sims 4, because it's easier. But as far as I remember (too long ago) in Sims 2 there was a function of platforms (splitlevel) within the room which I had used to build with the stairs along the corners and another function to create lakes. Both things would be nice to have in my sims4 too.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Hard to vote! I like both TS3's and TS4's build mode!

I hope TS5 will have all the build mode features of both!

• alanmichael1alanmichael1 Posts: 5,384 Member
    The Sims 3
    I like about TS3 that we can simply build pieces of floor in the air. Balconies and galleries are so tricky in TS4.
  • HSDevHSDev Posts: 17 Member
    edited November 2021
    The Sims 4
    ‎‎‎‎‎
    Post edited by HSDev on
  • ManakoHimeManakoHime Posts: 285 Member
    The Sims 4
    While TS4 build mode is the best one for me, I still miss the colour wheel, making ponds and putting on ceiling tiles.
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    The Sims 3
    I tried to go into tS4 and build... it's annoying. It's so annoying. I just wanted to build a simple, little house. I know I haven't been growing with this iteration but its got soo much annoyiness to it. I loved to build in 2 and 3 but I don't have the want to learn in TS4.
    I remember thinking how easy it would be for beginners when it was first released and it was. Now with placing and moving rooms around, my 8 year old granddaughter has fun doing that. She just forgets to connect rooms. :lol:
  • Vivi_WillowTreeVivi_WillowTree Posts: 451 Member
    The Sims 4
    Ponds, basement doors, and the auto roof features are missing.
  • Bettyboop55Bettyboop55 Posts: 2,646 Member
    The Sims 3
    I don't think I am delusional nor do I think I am an exceptional builder. I do know that it takes a little time and patience to use build mode effectively. Just as it does for CAS and CAW. It can be very frustrating at times but at least you have CASt which gives you so much more than a few colour palettes.

Fenbury is a world I am currently testing.

wnUa8bw.png

bat7HWr.png
    I no longer use Origin or My Page. You can find me on YouTube or Twitter as Bettyboop711000. You are welcome to contact me as I explore options for a PC sandbox life simulation game.
    Wherever I am friends call me Betty

Sim enim est vita
  • AyradyssAyradyss Posts: 910 Member
    The Sims 3
    For overall ease of use, sure TS4's build mode is very user friendly. But I love all the things you can do in TS3 that simply aren't there in TS4. Pools/water, Create-A-Style (a very big thing for me), Create-A-World, and all the crazy and cool things you could do with advanced techniques using 'constrainFloorElevations true|false' -- that took some learning and could really mess up a lot if you didn't know what you were doing, but it was great when you did.
    Pay for product -- not potential!
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    edited September 2020
    The Sims 2
    I can not agree TS4 has the best build mode. Because frankly there are too many steps you have to do to put a roof on building. You have to pick a flat roof box before you can even finish a building. That is not necessary in TS2. Also, double walls. If you don't watch what you are doing sometimes you can have inside double walls. I saw this mistake often on the gallery after I downloaded some builds. When you drag a box in TS2, (yes it has that feature) to build a room it auto becomes part of an existing wall, not a separate box such as in TS4. Therefore, causing double inside/inner walls which does cause lag in TS4. Bet some don't know that.

I can't lawd any build system that doesn't allow me to just extend a roof without having to add another flat roof box etc. When in TS2 I can just extend it with one floor tile. I can not lawd a build system that doesn't allow for dug out basements, just no. The black abyss is a big fat no.
    I can't lawd a build system that doesn't allow me to terraform all the way up to the side of a building without a huge gap, no. Ponds? dig water? TS4 is so simplistic I'm not surprised many like it.

That's not even a tenth of what I don't like about TS4's build mode, but I did enjoy different wall sizes, but annoyed those all had to be used per floor level. boo.

I didn't mention TS3 because it has the same type build system as in TS2 so no, TS4 is not the best just because it's the most simplistic. You can't see out a basement window just below street level...what kind of build system is that. Also, I particularly disliked the build/buy combination because often it was like I'm trying to pick up this chair, no, stop it, I'm not trying to strech the room. :s Annoying.

Don't even get me started about wanting to just remove a few tile upstairs around a staircase, only to see the entire floor deleted.... what the heck type system is that. First you have to section that off with walls then delete...too many extra steps taken, so no , it's not all that improved is it when I can just click the floor tile I want removed in TS2 and TS3.

Balconies, need boxes, boo, when a few floor tile extend in TS2 then put a rail around it, done. New doesn't mean easier and or better. How many years did we wait to remove foundations on the same lot? How is that better? lol It's so simplistic in some ways (as in less features) it's like Build A Lot games...silly, simple.
    Post edited by Cinebar on
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,404 Member
    edited September 2020
    The Sims 3
    Wulfsimmer wrote: »
    Anyone who doesn't vote The Sims 4 is delusional honestly.

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY? >:) ~low snarling growl~

Call me delusional, but I preferred the TS3 build mode. It may be trickier to use, but it certainly had a lot more flexibility in what I could use and what I could create. Building isn't just about building house. Terrain and the ability to build terrain features such as ponds is a must in any Sims game.

I don't care about push/pull. Anything that is done in Sims 4; I can do with Sims 3 with the minor exception of variable height. In 3, I had two options: 1) leave the wall as is at ground level. 2) to drag a wall up. put a section with a foundation...go CFE on, floor level tool and make the wall the equal height to the wall+foundation. Other than that...I see no other thing that can't be done with a little effort in TS3.

Everything seems to be catering to the Easier to do...it's bleeding into game development too which pretty much chaps my craw.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    The Sims 4
    Was a hard one between a few games. Sims 3 has more tools especially with CAST and world editing, while Sims 4 has a more easier or accesible way with the more easier expanding of rooms and the premade rooms that you can just plop in or move around/edit, and some other features.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    The Sims 4
    Sims 4 is great for building almost anything. I have built Star Trek Enterprise & Voyager, Battlestar Galactica, Stargate SG1 & Atlantis, TARDIS, Underground Domes, Sky Domes,
    Heaven & Hades, Cavehouse, Treehouse, Apocalypse Shelter, Very Tall Tower,
    A Star Shaped house, Teepees, tiny Cottages,
    tiny cabins,
    Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice Manor,
    And thousands of homes throughout the years.

Sims 3 is very good for colors & textures. Unfortunately, you can't have unusual builds it lacks the necessary building tools.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    The Sims 3
    It's easier to build lot in Sims 4 than in Sims 3 but somehow I enjoying making lot in The Sims 3 much more than in Sims 4, especially building houseboat
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    The Sims 3

Call me delusional, but I preferred the TS3 build mode. It may be trickier to use, but it certainly had a lot more flexibility in what I could use and what I could create. Building isn't just about building house. Terrain and the ability to build terrain features such as ponds is a must in any Sims game.

I don't care about push/pull. Anything that is done in Sims 4; I can do with Sims 3 with the minor exception of variable height. In 3, I had two options: 1) leave the wall as is at ground level. 2) to drag a wall up. put a section with a foundation...go CFE on, floor level tool and make the wall the equal height to the wall+foundation. Other than that...I see no other thing that can't be done with a little effort in TS3.

Everything seems to be catering to the Easier to do...it's bleeding into game development too which pretty much chaps my craw.

::standing ovation::
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,404 Member
    The Sims 3
    Cynna wrote: »

::standing ovation::

@Cynna Everything about TS4 seems to be chafing my craw lately and the lacklustre way that things are thrown out...while cutting out everything that they can cut out. It's not worth my money and I'm definitely skipping this iteration. I'll use my money to pick up what I'm missing with Sims 3.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • Rflong7Rflong7 Posts: 36,584 Member
    edited September 2020
    The Sims 3

Yay! I'm delusional. :dances: :heart::kissing_smiling_eyes:

L7dd6La.png

*Heehee - I actually danced a bit in my chair. :lol:
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    The Sims 4
    I hate building in general, but if I HAVE to build, I'd rather go with TS4 any day. I like that it's easier for beginners. :) Although I HATE the no autoroofing.
  • dreamyaridreamyari Posts: 41 Member
    The Sims 4
    This has probably already been said but.. just give me TS4 build mode, CAS (+colour wheel), and graphic style in with TS3 gameplay and worlds etc and I would never sleep ever again.
    ☆ it is only with the heart that one can see rightly ★
    ❀ advocate + founder of TS3 Renaissance
    - they/them -
    TS3 username; britishpinkkitty
    ʜᴀʀᴘᴇʀ ʟᴇɢᴀᴄʏ; https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/981894/harper-legacy#latest
  • DijktafoneDijktafone Posts: 775 Member
    edited September 2020
    The Sims 4
    I'm a terrible builder. TS4 intuitive buld mode allows me to fail said builds faster.
    Post edited by Dijktafone on
  • davina1221davina1221 Posts: 3,656 Member
    edited September 2020
    The Sims 4
    One of the very few times that Sims4 beats Sims3 for me. Moving fences, putting rooms down anywhere you want, moving the whole house, roof tops, and flat ground everywhere unless you fix it otherwise, so no more not being able to place due to unequal ground. Also finished rooms in build or the gallery to use.

CAS is another with easily removed items vs taking them off desperate. Also faster loading and getting back to the game.

Another is ability to find Sims not in your house and copy or do what you want with them, unlike befriending them before you can do what you want to with them in the Sims3.