Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The Blackwell Chronicles (On Hiatus)

Comments

• MonaSolstraaleMonaSolstraale Posts: 1,374 Member
    Oh no! Now the melancholy hit me again :heartbreak:
    I need @_sims_Yimi gnome army
    FFSvjDTm.png
    The only animal I spotted was this ... Cordelia's sweet and vulnerable creature.
  • ThePlumbobThePlumbob Posts: 4,971 Member
    edited September 2020
    @MonaSolstraale
    D'aww, that is so adorable! She is clueless like that, yep.

@DeafSimmer
    I'm not sure if there's a point Cordelia's ever "unfallen" for Morgyn. :) She may be trying (poorly) to resist, but those feelings never really went away. The shop creeped her out for sure! Yes, we can only hope Morgyn has it all so under control as they claim.
    Post edited by ThePlumbob on
  • candycottonchucandycottonchu Posts: 906 Member
    Okay now that I'm caught up, it's wild theory time 😆
    I've always wondered why Cory likes Morgyn so much. From the very first moment, they treat her awful. They show interest, but it is more curiosity than real sympathy, and it does not change during the story.
    They constantly use their power over her, disregard her wishes and achievements, neglect her, and occasionally throw her tiny crumbs of sings of affection, like that ridiculously huge fireplace - to keep her attention towards them.
    Actually, not enough that Morgyn is awfully neglectful towards Cory's needs, they're also the least approachable of the whole cast.
    And Cory is not unaware of that, on the contrary, she's very hurt. She may lash out on them occasionally, (bc honestly, who could take all this and stay quiet? ) but still, she stays attracted to Morgyn and regularly is a puddle of goo around them.
    Now when you consider how she grew up, I start to understand why. Cory is literally the archetype of "battered wife"- we don't see her childhood except from that tiny peek where her mother died. And she blames herself for that. After that, we only read that she was handed from one foster family to the next, bullied, neglected and abused, until she ran far, far away to start all over.
    Then look at who are the people she surrounds herself with. There's Grace, her coworker. She's nice, sort of helpful, and easy to be around, but Grace does not care about Cory at all. On the contrary, when Cory confides in her, Grace's reaction is to use Cory's traumatizing experience as a great story to tell the next best person- who does not even know Cory so far. Still, Cory is not even slightly mad at Grace.
    Then there's Darrel, who Cory is constantly afraid of.
    There is Emilia, who is kind and compassionate, and Emilia offered Cory her friendship and support. And what happened? Cory never talked to her again....
    And then there's Dandy. He's childish, and very likely refusing to dig any deeper than the very surface of anything (like the "belly aches" when Cory wants to move out, or Faba's "friendship") - an odd behavior for someone that may be centuries old. I could only explain that he may have gone through some very traumatizing experiences himself. Faba mentioning that she is responsible for him still being alive and safe, and also the fact that he spends most of his life alone in Sylvan Glade, that no one without a pure heart can enter, suggests that also.
    Anyway, Dandy is the only person that truly cares for Cory, up to the point that he risks his own life to save hers. But Cory is not capable to build a solid and trusting relationship to the elf. Not only does she keep her inner self to herself, but all her thoughts regarding him feel like she's watching someone precious from the outside. She's not invested in him. She runs to him when she feels miserable and lonely, and she wants to see him happy, and is even sort of protective to him. But she does not seem to really care much how he thinks and feels about her. She keeps her distance. As if she's not capable to understand that someone truly could love her (romantic or not, does not make a difference here).
    Now Micah, there has been too little interaction so far to say something for sure, but even here she choses to rather stay afraid of him and avoid him than to get to know him, even though she's definitely intrigued.

Regarding all this, I fully understand why she's so into Morgyn. She picked Morgyn for her affection exactly because Morgyn is so unapproachable and abusive. Her self-perception is so ridiculously low, that she is incapable to let anyone close that could truly like her. And Morgyn's continuing abuse towards her keeps confirming her low self-perception over and over again.
    All the "nice" people around her do not care for her very much, and that is exactly why she feels comfortable around them. They are not cruel to her, but they are also not fond enough of her to be able to grow colder.

I'm very convinced that as soon as Morgyn would start treating Cory with respect, she'd start to lose her interest in them, and probably push them away, like she does with Dandy.

Okay, she has made the first step of realizing that something's wrong with her (in that heart-breaking Dandy POV chapter 😭) but if she'll grow from that is a different question.

Now I have started to ship her with Micah, but after giving it a second thought, I'm not so convinced anymore. Micah has his own demons to fight (I could write another tome here xD), and I doubt Cory would do him any good. I also doubt Micah could make her feel any better, actually no one would be able to, because she would keep deflecting it! She'll break already Dandy's heart, and honestly I don't want her to break Micah's too.

Now, Morgyn I want to see crash and burn, because they are neglectful, abusive and narcissistic, and no kind of childhood sob story will ever justify that. That said, I love to have them around bc they are a very entertaining character xD

Oh this has grown... I hope it is clear enough :D
    @candycottonchu Holy guacamole, thank you so much for taking the time to write all of this <3

I really want to write you an essay back, but I'm terrible at gauging what is considered a spoiler or not, especially since there's likely to still be some unanswered questions even when we get to the end of this/season one. (Don't worry though, there are layers that definitely will be uncovered as the story goes on!) So with that in mind, my response might be fairly vague/brief - but I love your views and musings!
    You make some really great points about Cordelia! Yes, as far as we know, she's been dealt pretty crappy cards throughout her childhood/teenage years and has not really had any meaningful relationships since her mother's passing - not necessarily just romantic ones, but even friendships. Which definitely affects how she handles relationships now, and what she might seek in people, and as you point out, it would inevitably have some impact on her self-worth. I don't think I will say much more about this, but I really like your analysis!

I could definitely give you an answer on Dandy, but there's a lot more we have to learn about him (and one other aspect that might never be explicitly stated but will likely become more obvious as the story goes on), so I won't really delve into that here, but yes, he's unable to go particularly deep, but does care about Cordelia a great deal. Maybe at the end of season one I'll revisit this subject :)

Morgyn's childhood backstory is not really intended to justify their behaviour, though it has had a lot of impact on shaping the way they are now. There is something else as well, but I would say that what we have already seen has had a more major formative impact than the bits we're still missing. Which again, is not intended to be a justification of their behaviour, just a correlation.

I like having parallels in stories, so there are some overarching similarities when it comes to Cordelia's, Micah's and Morgyn's past (I don't think I need to explicitly point out what they are), and this has definitely shaped the way each of the three sees themselves, other people, relationships and just life in general. But in spite of the similarities, they are very different people who have dealt with possibly somewhat similar events very differently.

Oh, and I'm glad you like Micah - though you're right, his demons could definitely take up a tome to sum up :D
  • _sims_Yimi_sims_Yimi Posts: 1,751 Member
    edited September 2020
    Oh no! Now the melancholy hit me again :heartbreak:
    I need @_sims_Yimi gnome army

I've got a few reaper gnomes I can send your way. You and I really need to contact Verena for some Magic HQ raiding plans. :D
    I just cannot wrap my head around why Morgyn thinks it’s a good idea to take Cordelia to a dangerous tomb when she’s already freaking out over a magic shop and a guy in reaper clothes. On another note – I would love to run around in that creepy magic shop poking and prodding at things. I’ll take @SnuffyBucket for protection.
    You’re having a lot of fun dressing Morgyn in skimpy outfits, aren’t you? :D
    “Cordelia, you do realise that whatever awaits in the jungle, and especially in the Ominscan ruins, will be far creepier than that shop yesterday, right?”
    YOU. BLOODY. HYPOCRITE. You’re the one that made this whole adventure sound like a romantic getaway! Cordelia came along because you gave her hope of romance and helping her with her sprites, and “having fun, just the two of us”! How dare you call her out on being scared! Of course she’s scared! Ooooh you egocentric, pathetic excuse for- *angry rant* :rage::rage:

Woops. Looks like I'm back to ranting about Morgyn. Predictable, I know. :sweat_smile:
    Post edited by _sims_Yimi on
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
  • SnuffyBucketSnuffyBucket Posts: 569 Member
    edited September 2020
    @_sims_Yimi
    I don't know why you think I'd be any good at protecting you in a shop full of curios... I'd be too busy buying random things to stuff into my demon filled attic to notice you being turned into a gnome.

Sorry for derailing, Plumbob. AARGH MORGYN AND YOUR LACY UNDIES. There we go. back on topic. <3
    Post edited by SnuffyBucket on
    Banner-2-with-filters.jpg
    Almost Eternal
    @_sims_Yimi
    Why does Morgyn think it's a good idea? *crickets* They probably have reasons. Maybe it's just an excuse to show off their lacy underwear (which I think is perfectly tame and not skimpy at all :D ) to Cordelia.

Oh, if you and @SnuffyBucket are headed to the magic shop, count me in! I'm sure you two will cause enough havoc for me to wander around like a weirdo safely.

Weeelll, at least they're trying to adjust her expectations now and not in the middle of the jungle, right? Right? Right? Ok, I'll go hide so that I'm not privy to the imminent gnome attack.
    ThePlumbob wrote: »
    @candycottonchu Holy guacamole, thank you so much for taking the time to write all of this <3

I really want to write you an essay back, but I'm terrible at gauging what is considered a spoiler or not, especially since there's likely to still be some unanswered questions even when we get to the end of this/season one. (Don't worry though, there are layers that definitely will be uncovered as the story goes on!) So with that in mind, my response might be fairly vague/brief - but I love your views and musings!
    You make some really great points about Cordelia! Yes, as far as we know, she's been dealt pretty 🌺🌺🌺🌺 cards throughout her childhood/teenage years and has not really had any meaningful relationships since her mother's passing - not necessarily just romantic ones, but even friendships. Which definitely affects how she handles relationships now, and what she might seek in people, and as you point out, it would inevitably have some impact on her self-worth. I don't think I will say much more about this, but I really like your analysis!

I could definitely give you an answer on Dandy, but there's a lot more we have to learn about him (and one other aspect that might never be explicitly stated but will likely become more obvious as the story goes on), so I won't really delve into that here, but yes, he's unable to go particularly deep, but does care about Cordelia a great deal. Maybe at the end of season one I'll revisit this subject :)

Morgyn's childhood backstory is not really intended to justify their behaviour, though it has had a lot of impact on shaping the way they are now. There is something else as well, but I would say that what we have already seen has had a more major formative impact than the bits we're still missing. Which again, is not intended to be a justification of their behaviour, just a correlation.

I like having parallels in stories, so there are some overarching similarities when it comes to Cordelia's, Micah's and Morgyn's past (I don't think I need to explicitly point out what they are), and this has definitely shaped the way each of the three sees themselves, other people, relationships and just life in general. But in spite of the similarities, they are very different people who have dealt with possibly somewhat similar events very differently.

Oh, and I'm glad you like Micah - though you're right, his demons could definitely take up a tome to sum up :D

Ha, I'm glad you enjoyed :D
    As for spoiler, I know this is always hard to estimate, but I do not mind getting spoilers. So whenever you're unsure about sharing it here, I'd be glad if you would like to tell me more in dm's :)
    Honestly I'm more and more intrigued for Dandy. He's so child-like, but given his age and his peculiar relationship to Faba there must be so much more behind this. Now if you write he's "unable to go particularly deep", for some reason I have to think about memory/mind-blocking spells 😂

Ah, we've seen some of Cory's and Morgyn's childhood, but not so much about Micah's. (or did I just forget? 🤔) Now ofc I wonder if Micah also lost his mother to a magical power.
    edited September 2020
    @candycottonchu
    Do we really know how old Dandy is though? The only person who's age was explicitly stated was Cordelia, and we can kind of gather Micah, because we know he was fairly young when we got turned and has been a vampire for 13 years. But beyond that, everybody's age is a big unknown :)

I don't know if we'll see Micah's childhood, because it's not that relevant in my head (though I do have a whole family background for him in my mind haha), but he will have at least one flashback :)

I should probably not be posting a new chapter, because I'm behind on writing and on reading, but it's been a manic day, so I've decided to reward myself.
    Let's see what Micah's up to while Morgyn and Cordelia are away...

Chapter 43: Only the Pure of Heart

F0jTxjr.jpg
    Well done getting through a manic day! You deserve a nice evening of rest. :mrgreen:

Chapter 43
    AAAAH HE ACTUALLY DID GET BONDING TIME WITH DANDY ERMAGEWDDDDDDD

*cough* okay. Fangirling over. Lemme read the actual chapter now.

Oh, Micah… you poor lost soul. No wonder he’s able to travel through the tree. His vampiric curse got the better of him and caused Carys’s death, and he’s been in agony ever since, to the point where he won’t even allow himself to consider happiness. That is so incredibly sad. If only he hadn’t been found by Verena and had just been able to stay a human.
    I loved this chapter. It was wonderfully written, especially Micah’s sadness towards the end. “And all that his pathetic shell was capable of in response was to drop to its knees and weep.” Haunting.
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    Hosting D&D sessions on the side. Interested in playing through some fantasy-themed shenanigans? Send me a message 😘
  • lone_catlone_cat Posts: 417 Member
    Haha, no worries, you deserve a treat. :)
    Aw, this was a nice chapter and a nice look into Micah's thought process. Poor guy, he has so much guilt that he feels like he doesn't deserve happiness. I'm glad Micah and Dandy finally got to chat, I love how chill they both are. And Dandy is the only one that is trying to fix the vampire problem by growing plasma fruit, he's such a great guy. Maybe discovering the glade will be good for Micah, he can have some peace and quiet and paint some pretty scenery.
    @DeafSimmer Thank you! :)

@_sims_Yimi
    I thought you would be pleased haha. Not sure if it gave you enough to work with to set sail on your Mindy ship, but it was nice to have them interact.

Yeah. Carys sort of represents a wider guilt, she was not the only one that fell victim to the vampire curse, but she is that all encompassing symbol, because he knew her and cared for her. And yeah, shame Verena picked him, but I guess if it wasn't him it would have been someone else. She was after a specific "type," an introspective artist artist, more specifically. She probably should have added questionable morals into the mix, but then, would someone like that be able to paint soulful paintings?

Thank you so much! The end part was actually what I was the most unsure about, so I'm glad you liked it!

@lone_cat
    Yeah, who knows if Micah will ever be able to let go of his guilt, he carries a lot of it. He definitely doesn't want to allow himself to be happy, that's for sure.

Dandy might not be one for deep philosophical questions, but he does try to help, and like you said, is the only one that's actually achieved something meaningful on the vampire front (and the spirte front!) so far.

This is true. If nothing else, the glade definitely makes for good painting inspiration!
    @ThePlumbob
    I think somewhere it is mentioned in the story that Dandy is def a lot older than he looks like :D so that's where I got it from lol

and yay, a new chapter, and more of my fav boi Micah <3
    /off to read
    @candycottonchu
    I think I may have mentioned something about Dandy's age in the comments, though no concrete numbers that I recall. I guess he did tell Cordelia that he's spent so many years in Sylvan Glade that he stopped counting them, so there is that.
    @ThePlumbob
    okay that could be why I interpreted him being very old xD
    edited September 2020
    I thought it was a good time to hear from Morgyn again. Don't you all cheer at once, lol.

Chapter 44
    I really like Cordelia's jungle outfit! It suits her very well. :mrgreen: It's giving me tomb raider vibes, like she just needs a machete and some rope and she'll be plundering tombs with the best of them. Bonus points if she grabs the golden statue that causes the place to collapse and has to run out at the last second. Though I suppose Morgyn would just teleport them out, instead, now that I think about it. :D
    J6AKQqX.jpg
    @DeafSimmer
    That she did! Well, they did say they're almost by the temple, so jungle critters may not be their biggest concenr now :)

@_sims_Yimi
    She's got the tomb raider look down! Not sure if that comes along with Lara Croft skillset mind :D
    About time we finally delved into the temple...

• SnuffyBucketSnuffyBucket Posts: 569 Member
    edited September 2020
    @ThePlumbob

I hate you.
    Banner-2-with-filters.jpg
    Almost Eternal