Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

The reason I'll be harder on Sims than Paralives.

Comments

• MadameLeeMadameLee Posts: 32,748 Member
    there's a disabled survey for paralives
    6adMCGP.gif
  • Horrorgirl6Horrorgirl6 Posts: 3,170 Member
    MadameLee wrote: »
    there's a disabled survey for paralives

Can you link it ?
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    Did you guys see the latest video from Paralives? Awesome fresh ideas!

• KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    Saw it! All things the series has never done! Can't wait for this game!
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif

I saw the video earlier.Oh my gosh zip lining.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    Looks like Sebastian got a little too much sun before taking a dive lol
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member

This is so way cool! I love how objects combine, like a Para can actually understand their contextual environment....be on a roof and understand there is a pool below. Sims don’t really seem aware of their context, they just interact with the object right in front of them.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member

This is so way cool! I love how objects combine, like a Para can actually understand their contextual environment....be on a roof and understand there is a pool below. Sims don’t really seem aware of their context, they just interact with the object right in front of them.

Yeah. Back in the Sims 2 days I thought it would be amazing if we had multilevel platform pool diving boards, but I thought that it would require a lot of context awareness and environment checks. If anything, I feel like the Parateam can pull off something like that
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • KayeStarKayeStar Posts: 6,715 Member
    You should see the comments on the video. Lots of commenters are going crazy for the mere fact Sebastian removes his shoes when he enters the house.

Jeez, are us simmers that deprived? :D
    752d5ef1ccf6be4ae3b2e539a6376fe9ea400d9ar1-320-207_00.gif
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    KayeStar wrote: »

I mean, have you seen the forums or the Sims subreddit lately? 👀

Not only does TS4 lack tiny life details, but it's also missing long-requested quality of life features like the ability to clone makeup and accessories across different outfit categories
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member
    Sims is a AAA game funded by one of the largest video game publishers. The fact that people want to judge a patreon-funded indie game against Sims 4 should give people a pretty good idea of how badly the developers are handling Sims 4. Honesty EA needs to get new staff for the future Sims games because the people they have now are not getting it right. They are probably more suited for less complex games. Not saying that as an insult, just an observation since they really try to keep everything as simple and watered down as possible which has led to a boring gameplay experience that the developers find acceptable.

Yes. If the definition of an AAA game is - a classification term used for games with the highest development budgets and levels of promotion or the highest ratings by a consensus of professional reviewers and gamers alike - well then TS4 does not deserve of being called an AAA game like the sims 1-3.

I so hope Paralives will be great and that they focus on complex and fun gameplay.

EA really needs competition. I’m so tired of waiting for them to end this 6 long years of meh. Makes me wonder what will be different with TS5 if it ever comes out. It’s like they’re not interested in making a true life sims game anymore.
  • simIrrevirresimIrrevirre Posts: 763 Member
    Looks like Sebastian got a little too much sun before taking a dive lol

Lol yes, the tan looks a little bit off though, no tan on his hands or under arms. Maybe he had long gloves on :D

I like how he moves (lifelike) when he opens the secret door.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    edited September 2020
    Saw it! All things the series has never done! Can't wait for this game!

I wouldn’t say ‘all’ things. Zip lining, diving off roofs and taking off shoes were never features in the sims series. True.

Suntans and secret book cases are though.

My main question remains: How will this be a better life simulator than what already exists? For me personally it all comes down to the Ai.
    I’m more curious about their personalities and how they interact with each other and their environment than whether they can zip line or take off their shoes. That part looks good, don’t get me wrong. However, these Parafolk will need to be really, really interesting to win me over. I’m still not a fan of their looks and I hope to see improvements on that front. But that’s my personal opinion and no one can change my mind on that one. ;)
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    You should see the comments on the video. Lots of commenters are going crazy for the mere fact Sebastian removes his shoes when he enters the house.

I don't know about you, as a simmer every little detail animation is appreciated by me and that includes Sebastian taking off his shoes animation
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited September 2020
    @CAPTAIN_NXR7 @izecson I think Simmers in general get very excited when they see anything new and fresh, even if that's just one little detail that doesn't make or break a game like taking off the shoes people get overexcited.
    I think the reason is because the Sims has been giving us the same old for years now, everything that seems like a new "fresh" idea makes everyone go crazy for some reason.

Personally I watched the trailer and though the taking off the shoes thing is awesome I still think that in that particular video Sebastian doesn't look that great, his sunburn looks a bit off and graphically he looks very "indie". Also the water looks worse than Sims 2 water. It's almost completely flat.
    Also some of the animations looked kind of stiff like the one where he's hanging from the wire. Also his face isn't very expressive yet, he looks a bit emotionless.
    Maybe it will get better and hopefully the personalities will be awesome (because that's all that is important to me -this is why I can still play the Sims 2 and don't care about graphics-) however I have to say that even if the details like the shoes are cool, graphically and in terms of animations the game is still very far behind the Sims.
    Sure, it could still change since the game is still in early stages but I just wanted to point out the over-excitement of the community about something fresh.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    edited September 2020
    I think Simmers in general get very excited when they see anything new and fresh, even if that's just one little detail that doesn't make or break a game like taking off the shoes people get overexcited.
    I think the reason is because the Sims has been giving us the same old for years now, everything that seems like a new "fresh" idea makes everyone go crazy for some reason.

@SimmerGeorge Oh yes. I’m fully aware of Simmers being excited for any new update regarding life simulators other than the sims. And I understand why they may feel that way.
    My only comment was regarding a post in which someone said the latest trailer shows all things the (sims) series has never done before. Which isn’t necessarily true.
    The rest was just personal opinion.
    If the game is 100 .00 dollars .I will pay it, it looks so much fun.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member
    @SimmerGeorge I don't even think it's about new and fresh things per se. Ts3 and ts4 both tried to bring fresh innovative ideas regardless of how well it was executed.
    I think simmers are all about the details. Hence people in comments screaming about taking off his shoes instead of the zipline. Some are desperately missing ts2 style details and others who has never played it are still all about the details.
    I was too little to remember playing ts2 so it's not nostalgia for me yet I go crazy for details. I always wished ts4 would bring out a pack just for animations, interactions and details but I know that would never happen.
    Its interesting to see the paralives development but it would take an extreme lot to pull me away from sims personally. I wish them the best though🙂
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    edited September 2020
    @SimmerGeorge I don't even think it's about new and fresh things per se. Ts3 and ts4 both tried to bring fresh innovative ideas regardless of how well it was executed.
    I think simmers are all about the details. Hence people in comments screaming about taking off his shoes instead of the zipline. Some are desperately missing ts2 style details and others who has never played it are still all about the details.
    I was too little to remember playing ts2 so it's not nostalgia for me yet I go crazy for details. I always wished ts4 would bring out a pack just for animations, interactions and details but I know that would never happen.
    Its interesting to see the paralives development but it would take an extreme lot to pull me away from sims personally. I wish them the best though🙂

@Babykittyjade Yes I love details too but it won't sell me the game. I loved the shoe thing but looking at Sebastian's sunburn that doesn't look so great, watching his face be so stiff and watching the water being flat doesn't help. People are taking the shoe thing as "this is everything the Sims doesn't have" but don't care about the water or stiffness in animations?
    I'm excited for Paralives but this is a good example of people overexaggerating. Kind of like with the desks from Nifty Knitting that you could merge to make a bigger one. It was all over the forums and videos, people mentioning it as a primary feature and I'm like "Awesome detail but wait people are only talking about this one thing"
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • EgonVMEgonVM Posts: 4,927 Member
    When I am programming a game, I like to keep this quote from Shigeru Miyamoto in mind:
    "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."

That's what I like about Paralives. They won't rush, but do it in their own pace. If a good game is coming, I'm always willing to wait.

Though I am still thinking if it would be possible to play rotationally in Paralives. I need it! That's why I prefer The Sims 1, 2, and 4 over The Sims 3.
  • BabykittyjadeBabykittyjade Posts: 4,975 Member

@Babykittyjade Yes I love details too but it won't sell me the game. I loved the shoe thing but looking at Sebastian's sunburn that doesn't look so great, watching his face be so stiff and watching the water being flat doesn't help. People are taking the shoe thing as "this is everything the Sims doesn't have" but don't care about the water or stiffness in animations?
    I'm excited for Paralives but this is a good example of people overexaggerating. Kind of like with the desks from Nifty Knitting that you could merge to make a bigger one. It was all over the forums and videos, people mentioning it as a primary feature and I'm like "Awesome detail but wait people are only talking about this one thing"

Lol very true. I notice how people hyper focus on one thing. They are desperately looking for what the sims is missing in this game. They seem to forget it's an indie game so no matter how much detail it might have in one area if will always lack in another.
    And I could be wrong since I'm not a coder but I imagine coding all of these interactions to work together with smart AI, complex personalities and few bugs is where the real challenge lies. And I would be shocked if paralives can pull that off.
    But like I always say, it doesn't have to be a paralives vs sims as many people try to make it. Why not enjoy whichever they choose or both at the same time. 🤷‍♀️
    Zombies, oh please oh please give us zombies!! :'(
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    Obviously, Sims should be scrutinized more since it’s a bigger game company.

I’m kind of meh about Paralives. I am not a fan of the artstyle of the characters, and I’m waiting for more detailed textures of stuff on the final product. It does have a lot of great ideas, though!

I am just... cautious and waiting to see what simulation and gameplay concepts it can actually execute in a final product and how family gameplay and daily simulation is like.

I hope it’s good in the end, though! 🙂👍

I just wish I could be more excited about it. I’ve been watching the videos and still not really impressed for some reason.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • popstarsleypopstarsley Posts: 1,086 Member

@Babykittyjade Yes I love details too but it won't sell me the game. I loved the shoe thing but looking at Sebastian's sunburn that doesn't look so great, watching his face be so stiff and watching the water being flat doesn't help. People are taking the shoe thing as "this is everything the Sims doesn't have" but don't care about the water or stiffness in animations? "

I think the Patreon email that originally accompanied this video before it was released on YouTube included something about how the video includes an older version of the character model and they’ve changed it a lot since. Hopefully they’ll release the most updated character-look soon to give people a view into the progress!
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,777 Member
    So, cartoon character , who looks drawed like Donald Duck takes his shoes away is now a hype?

Where is the gameplay video? Even a start of it?

Or is it the thing he took his shoes off?
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    EgonVM wrote: »
    When I am programming a game, I like to keep this quote from Shigeru Miyamoto in mind:
    "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad."

That's what I like about Paralives. They won't rush, but do it in their own pace. If a good game is coming, I'm always willing to wait.

Though I am still thinking if it would be possible to play rotationally in Paralives. I need it! That's why I prefer The Sims 1, 2, and 4 over The Sims 3.

You can play rotationally in TS3.