Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Your thoughts on Rabbitholes?

2...Next

Comments

• BuildingTheSimsBuildingTheSims Posts: 92 Member
    I dont like rabbitholes because i don't want to imagine or pretend my sim is actually doing things. That might fly for other people, but it doesnt cut it for me. I need gameplay. And i dont want to just send my sims away. Rabbitholes are low effort. Playing with an actual dolls in fake dollhouses, in real life, is more stimulating than that. Thats why i like active careers and want active school for teens/children.
  • SimAlexandriaSimAlexandria Posts: 4,845 Member
    I do't care for them, I make sure to always choose careers that aren't rabbit holes (mostly conservation or detective) but it's nice to have the option. I'd prefer game play to not have so many rabbit holes but keep the toggle that you can send your sim alone for people that want them to go into a rabbit hole
  • CamkatCamkat Posts: 2,329 Member
    I don't mind them. It depends on the situation though. Careers it's fine. Anything else... not so much. I still don't mind but I'd prefer if they weren't.
    Origin ID: Peapod79
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    Rabbit holes are evil. I like seeing my sims going into places and doing their things otherwise it feels like it's the 1990's again and games are a text adventure.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    I never understood the arguement of not wanting active jobs because they get repetitive. You can literally choose if you want to send your sims alone to work or go with them.

I think we should have the option to go with our sims to more places.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • OmairaOmaira Posts: 666 Member
    edited September 2020
    Interesting points all of you! and all valid too! WOW, I have also learned something out of this thread, mainly that it's something I like from the Sims 4 apart from gardening... let's not go there...
    What I like is the choice of sending your sim to work or go with them.
    At present I have two sims, both with that option on my TS4 game, Ukupaniko is a doctor and Jamie Jolina (yes from sims 3! courtesy of Omri123. I think that is the simmer that has recreated some fantastic sims from TS3 to 4 but I can check it in case I am writing the name wrong) anyhow, Jamie is in the scientist career. I alternate so they both get "my help".
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    Boring, because I can't properly play my sim in the rabbit hole.😤
  • DerykDeryk Posts: 9 New Member
    I'm FOR rabbitholes if they are done in moderation and have enough interactivity on some rather mundane tasks. But a lot of gameplay opportunities are too glossed over by the overuse of rabbitholes. And then there's just the basics of home stuff, eat, play, watch tv, homework, cleaning, repairing. That gets a bit old after a while!

I'd like to interact in school for the kids. Maybe have the option to "rabbithole" work for a day or so, or not. I'd like to shop in a store! Eat in a restaurant! Sims 3 took away too much of that especially when it first launched.

Give us Sims 2 open lots, and Sims 3 open world with travel, and the best parts of Sims 4 gameplay, and I think we'd be all set! :)
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,405 Member
    edited September 2020
    AthenaOnyx wrote: »
    I want to pick and choose when I want a rabbithole and when I don't. One thing that annoyed me about Generations (to the point that I no longer use Gen at all) was out of no where there would be a graduation or something similar and all of sudden my sims would vanish into a rabbithole and I just had to find something to do while they were doing their thing. I don't understand how that's fun for anyone.

But, sometimes I just want my sim to go to work and I don't have to be bothered with clicking on stuff until they come home. But, sometimes I want to click on stuff.

But do you really want to sit there for fifteen or twenty minutes while a Sim Valedictorian drones on and on...or the Principal of your Sim's high-school reads out the list of names and the band sits there and plays "Land of Hope and Glory" (aka The Graduation Song) on repeat...? :mrgreen: OH...excuse me...on ENDLESS repeat.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • SimsophoniqueSimsophonique Posts: 1,410 Member
    I hate rabbitholes to say I wish them to disappear forever and having the freedom to play inside :smiley: They does not stop me to enjoy sims 3 of course this is a detail but I really hate them.
    Follow and read Miss V Detective (ts3 story)
    on wordpress: thesimsophonique.wp.com / on dreamwidth: simsophonique.dreamwidth.org
    Follow me on tumblr (sims only)
    simsophonique.tumblr.com (please no triggers I am autistic asperger)
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    I don't mind career rabbit holes for some jobs. However, every thing else has to be open. That's the whole point of leaving the house. :p
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    edited September 2020
    they can be practical but the sims team overuses them
  • cody6268cody6268 Posts: 643 Member
    They allow playability without having to go to the trouble to make it an actual lot. TS3 does this, TS4 really needs it due to the fact there are so many decorative structures with NO real purpose.
  • KaronKaron Posts: 2,332 Member
    ChadSims2 wrote: »
    As long as my stores restaurants bars and nightclubs are open I'm perfectly fine with rabbit holes for things like careers especially for base game. Now if they later on update careers in expansions with things like firefighters and police those lot types should open up and no longer be rabbit holes same goes for school or any other feature that can be made playable but for many things rabbit holes are great because at least your Sim is vanishing on a building in your world and not into nothing like it is now.

also, they should make it so that if it isn't a rabbithole, you can still send your sim to autonomously do their stuff at work even without you. I bet it isn't that hard.
  • the_red_simmerthe_red_simmer Posts: 36 Member
    Rabbit holes are probably one of my least favorite aspects of Sims 4. I personally enjoy interacting with Sims in all aspects of gameplay so the rabbit holes aren't my favorite. If I have one Sim, I only do work from home positions (which can get very repetitive) or I have to play with a family so I can make money AND interact with Sims. It's definitely not great.