Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Phantasmal Reading Circle III: Newness Returns!

Comments

• lone_catlone_cat Posts: 417 Member
    @katrinasforest @lilypadmeulin @Firande I didn't realize I had so many chapters since the last time. Please don't feel pressured to get caught up on all of them. If you just want to chat about one or two chapters, that's totally fine. I don't want anyone to feel stressed out reading all those chapters. :)

@Firande That's crummy, sorry to hear your week isn't going so well. And don't feel bad if you don't get to my chapters or discussion. I don't want to stress you out further since it sounds like it's been a stressful week already. Sending you well wishes. :)
  • lilypadmeulinlilypadmeulin Posts: 1,655 Member
    @lone_cat

I ended up reading the latest chapter, and it was so excellently done.

I loved the reunion - Nancy was so obviously affected, while Malcolm is trying to use this opportunity to grab his mother's favouritism. I bet he's either involved or so nasty he blatantly doesn't care about his brother. I can't decide which. But this is amazing.
  • katrinasforestkatrinasforest Posts: 1,002 Member
    @lilypanmeulin I felt the same way! She tries to put on this cold and uncaring front (and I don't blame her with everyone around her always trying to get something out of her.) But when it comes down to it, she's still a mom, and those emotions came out really strong. I suspect
    Malcolm is jealous about his mother's attention going elsewhere at the very least, but you're right that he could easily be involved, too!

@lone_cat It was no stress reading. I went on a nice, relaxing walk and read off my tablet. You were having a creative sprint. That's a good thing. :) I enjoyed it, and I was surprised by the turn the story took. Right when it seemed like
    everything was focused on the mermaids, vampires came into the plot.
    I like how that twisted everything, and the original threat still isn't totally over. Was that a twist you planned a while back or something that came to you while you were writing?

@Firande I'm sorry to hear about all the stress you're under. That sounds like a lot of pressure. Take it easy and jump back in whenever you're ready. Feel free to chat up general Sims or writing stuff here, too. (Sometimes a good "Why Star Wars? WHY?" rant is just the thing. ^_^ )
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
    @lilypadmeulin @katrinasforest
    Thanks for reading and commenting. :)
    I am glad Nancy came off a little more sympathetic in this chapter. I try to give all of my characters strengths and weaknesses. Nancy is a mother, and she cares a lot about both of her sons, and this is one of her strengths. But she also comes off as a nasty woman throughout; she throws around her wealth, and she thinks she can boss people around. She's not the nicest person. But Vern, Luke and Ian kind of messed up, and it was Hailey that was the one that figured out the merman was her son and she was just going off of a hunch. So I can sympathize with Nancy for being frustrated with people trying to find her son. And Vern just showed up with Barnes and Hailey and started demanding things, and it's no surprise Nancy threw her off the yacht and doesn't like Barnes and Hailey because she associates them with Vern.

The vampire thing kind of got thrown in last minute. Willa was originally going to make an appearance, but it was going to be very short. But I changed some things, and I felt I needed to explain more about vampires. I still am not happy that it derailed my mermaid plot, and I feel like I've thrown way too much into the ending of the story, but I've already written the last couple chapters and I can't go back and change them. Originally, I wasn't going to have Hailey get injected with the mermaid making stuff, but I decided I wanted my villain to succeed in some way. And I had already decided Willa was going to show up and bite Luke and Ian. I didn't plan on Hailey getting bitten. That got changed, and that led to some extra vampire stuff and the dream sequence (which is one of my favorite chapters). My first story I didn't change too much, I added a few chapters, but nothing that completely changed some of my plot. I've definitely learned there is a fine balance when it comes to changing things, and I think I went a little overboard with story 2, but I'm also learning as I go. But this is just me being nitpicky about my own writing.
    edited September 2020
    Sorry I've been slow today. It's posted on the previous page, but if anyone needs the link again, here's the latest Not So Charmed from @lilypadmeulin, which we'll be discussing this week:
    https://charmeddescendants.blogspot.com/2020/08/chapter-9-autumn-breezes-and-tween.html

@Firande If you're able to join in, that's awesome, but no stress if you can't. :)

@lone_cat I forgot to add last week, but if you ever did an alternate universe fic where Hailey's a mystery-solving mermaid, I wouldn't complain. ^_^
    Watch me mash together Sims and Pokémon to tell a story about battling glitches in Penny Saves Paldea. Updated every other Thursday.
    @lilypadmeulin Chapter 9 discussion :)
    I liked the interaction between Maranda and Rhea. It's nice to see the sisters playing together, and it really highlights their personalities. Rhea very much wants to go along with fads and trends. And she wants to stick to the story and not change things. I like that Maranda used her imagination and tried to change the story a little or add another outcome to what would happen. And I liked how this got Rhea questioning whether or not something like that would happen.
    @lilypadmeulin At the risk of making a terrible pun, that was a charming chapter. And so relatable! It's such a frustrating age the girls are at--still wanting to hang onto things they love but worried they might be perceived as childish. I remember being in school and seeing weird fads come and go. (At one point, neon-color smiley face stickers sold at our school store were a massive craze...beats me why. But I think the pink and green ones were the most valuable.)

I've also tutored middle schoolers who explained to me how they were "too old" for kids' stuff like, say, Mario. I struggled to keep a straight face as I told them I still played Mario Kart as an adult and so did most of my friends. (We all know we're adults, and we're past caring if we look immature or not.)

Even Rhea and Maranda's game felt like it was in between teenage interests (making love potions) and childish ones (playing pretend). I'm wondering...is their imaginary story a hint of something coming up? (Totally okay if you don't want to say one way or another.)

@Firande @lone_cat
    I know we've been using spoiler tags, which makes sense in a larger group, but since we're a smaller crew here, I think we can safely go without them. Just don't read past the first post of week listing the new chapters if you're not caught up yet. :)

Off-topic, I'm just about done the first chapter of my new story, so I should be able to join in the next rotation. It's going to mostly be a narration of my "Kids of Straud Mansion" challenge, but hopefully with enough added story to make it fun.

@lone_cat @katrinasforest

Yep, I love having the girls interact! Rhea and Marcus are going to age up after Chapter 10, so I really wanted to work in this time of confusion and things feeling chaotic. I know some stories switch off aging, but I want this one to kind of feel...more natural? I don't know, I'm trying it and if it doesn't work I can always slow down the pace.

And while love potions WILL NOT be involved in my story, I do intend to have Maranda's predictions factor in a little bit!
    @lilypadmeulin I agree with you; I like stories that include aging. (Though turning it off makes sense for stories that are taking place over a relatively short period of time.) Can't wait to read more.

@Firande @lone_cat

I know we had some quiet weeks, so my preemptive apologies if I get this off, but I believe the Xaos chapters up for discussion this week are:

#69: https://donaeis.home.blog/2020/08/07/69-the-stars-above-us/

#70 https://donaeis.home.blog/2020/08/09/70-carousel/

and #71: https://donaeis.home.blog/2020/08/16/71-the-little-mermaid/

I'm going to get to reading and hope to have some comments/questions ready by tomorrow.
  • FirandeFirande Posts: 816 Member
    edited September 2020
    @lilypadmeulin I agree with you; I like stories that include aging. (Though turning it off makes sense for stories that are taking place over a relatively short period of time.) Can't wait to read more.

@Firande @lone_cat

I know we had some quiet weeks, so my preemptive apologies if I get this off, but I believe the Xaos chapters up for discussion this week are:

#69: https://donaeis.home.blog/2020/08/07/69-the-stars-above-us/

#70 https://donaeis.home.blog/2020/08/09/70-carousel/

and #71: https://donaeis.home.blog/2020/08/16/71-the-little-mermaid/

I'm going to get to reading and hope to have some comments/questions ready by tomorrow.

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it a lot. I also had a 72nd chapter, Preganante , that I published sometime in late August haha, but you guys just feel free to read whatever you can and if you don't have any time, that's completely fine too. I'm in that same boat myself, but I'm trying to get caught back up starting with @lone_cat's story, which I'm so sorry to have missed your week but I will still be leaving comments on your blog as always!

In the meantime, I hope everyone is staying safe and sound. I know times are still very tough and it's hard not to become demoralized - there's this somberness affecting, I feel, pretty much everyone at the moment so I hope you're all taking good care of yourselves and trying to make the best out of these sad, sad times as you can. 🌹

Edit: Also, I do actually have one question for @lone_cat that actually extends to the rest of you (@lilypadmeulin, @katrinasforest, and @NyteRose) as well... I feel bad missing others' weeks but this is also something I've been wondering so here goes: do you guys actually play the characters in your stories on a more "casual" level too, and if so, do you play them casually in the same save you use for your story or do you have separate saves for the more casual Sims gameplay? :blush:
    Origin ID: Fierande | Simlit | Tumblr

fgQIHTb.png
    edited September 2020
    @Firande Don't know how I missed your latest chapter; sorry about that. And no worries about missing any weeks. We're here to relax and share our love of Sims over the interwebs, not to add stress to anybody. :)

Here's my thoughts after reading your latest chapters, though I'm certainly happy to answer any questions you want to ask later:

First off, I love the nod to Sims 2 in chapter 69 with Kaleb mistakenly calling Strangerville "Strangetown."

I get Tika's reasoning for not telling Emil everything that's happened, but I'm with Fenne. I feel like it can't do anything but backfire. He's clearly getting suspicious by chapter 70.

As for chapter 71--yes, mermaids are back! I love the dynamic between Laka and Poema. I mean, I admire the fact that Laka really wants to protect people, but Poema makes pretty strong arguments against them. And I have the feeling that if she manages to totally win him to her side, he's going to be just as ruthless as she is, if not moreso.

I did read up through chapter 72 as well. Calo certainly has his delusional moments. ("After all, he’d told the judge how great of a father he was planning to become.") I both felt (a teeny, tiny bit) bad for him and wanted to congratulate the judge on a wise decision. And then the UFO showing up? Looks like he's getting another chance at fatherhood and a little torture mixed in there. I agree that it can be tricky to decide exactly what to do with the more villainous characters. I never seem to be able to completely leave mine alone. Even when they're down, they always manage to find a way back. I'm very curious what happens to Calo next.
    Firande wrote: »
    In the meantime, I hope everyone is staying safe and sound. I know times are still very tough and it's hard not to become demoralized - there's this somberness affecting, I feel, pretty much everyone at the moment so I hope you're all taking good care of yourselves and trying to make the best out of these sad, sad times as you can. 🌹

Thank you. Hope you're taking good care of yourself as well. My spouse and I are very fortunate, both in our work and in the fact that I'm pretty sure if we were Sims, we'd both have the loner trait. We've moved our friends' weekly board game/D&D nights online, and the social distancing hasn't hit us nearly as hard as it has some of our more outgoing family members.
    Firande wrote: »
    Also, I do actually have one question for @lone_cat that actually extends to the rest of you (@lilypadmeulin, @katrinasforest, and @NyteRose) as well... I feel bad missing others' weeks but this is also something I've been wondering so here goes: do you guys actually play the characters in your stories on a more "casual" level too, and if so, do you play them casually in the same save you use for your story or do you have separate saves for the more casual Sims gameplay? :blush:

While I was working on Clanbuilding for Dummies, that had its own file that I didn't play at all. Now that it's completed, all bets are off, and it's actually my main save file. Elliot and Miss V have a son now. Vlad, having lost his vampire powers, became a spellcaster instead and converted his mansion into Straud's School of Villainy, where Miss H's son is now attending along with Vlad's kids. I don't know if anyone remembers Ellie from my monthly Simlit challenge, but Vlad started flirting with her and convinced her to leave her husband. Kyle technically joined the politician career when he did "Free TVs!" protest. He changed his cause to fight for the plants when he got possessed. Even now that he's cured, he's liked the career well enough to stay in it. I like to play with aging on slow for both played and unplayed Sims, so playing while working on a story isn't totally practical if I don't want them aging up when I don't plan to. But I've been really enjoying playing it after the fact.
    @Firande No worries, take as much time as you need to get caught up. :)

Thoughts on the newest chapters.

I really liked the bonding moment that Tika and Fenne shared and how she expressed her thoughts on being an alien. She really didn't consider herself much of an alien and just accepts her human side as who she is. Fenne has always been pretty confident in herself, and I think that is one of her biggest strengths. I think Tika could learn a lot from her. Part of his problem is that he feels like everyone is out to get him and that it's him against the world. I do think that Cortez has a good influence on him and makes him feel accepted.

I'm happy to see Laka and Poema again. I have a feeling that Laka is eventually going to join Poema and I agree with @katrinasforest that he is going to be ruthless once he joins Poema.

And Tori is going to get herself into trouble with the spellcasters of Glimmerbrook. She's putting a lot of trust in Amanita, and I don't think Amanita necessarily has Tori's best interests in mind. Tori is so drawn to power that it blinds her to what is really going on. I think this might be her downfall in the end, and her end might come from the hands of the spellcasters.

I thought what happened to Calo was perfect. He got what he really wanted, just not how he expected it. Though, I do feel bad for his unborn kid. Calo is a terrible parent, and he's too narcissistic to realize how horrible he is and that he needs to change. He's so much like Tori.

Thank you. :) Hope everything is going well with you and you are taking care of yourself too. :)
    do you guys actually play the characters in your stories on a more "casual" level too, and if so, do you play them casually in the same save you use for your story or do you have separate saves for the more casual Sims gameplay? :blush:

I rarely play my characters on a casual level. Sometimes I'll let them have little dance parties or build sandcastles or swim, but I usually don't do a full-blown game-play with them. Occasionally I'll turn autonomy on and see what happens. Hailey and Ian have a pretty high romance relationship because they flirt with each other and like to woohoo in the waterfall. It's also really funny because Ivan, from the last story, constantly calls Ian and asks to hang out. I have no idea why, he doesn't have a high relationship with Ian (they are acquaintances like everyone else) but the game is weird like that. Oh yes, and Brian calls Barnes a lot and asks to go on dates (they are boyfriends in my game, but Brian isn't in my current household). But that's the extent of my gameplay, with them. I mostly just use them as my "actors" for my story.

If I want to play the game I usually make a totally different save with other characters. I also have a generational household from when I first started playing Sims 4. It culled my past generations (these were before I had MC Command Center) and I only have ten generations showing up right now, but if I was to tally it, I think it is actually up to like 25 generations. I don't play it very often, usually only with new packs. It gets way too confusing with all the different households and who is related to who, lol.
    @lone_cat

I feel like in all the excitement of talking about the latest twists in Supernatural Misadventures a few weeks ago, we kind of skimmed over chatting about chapters 15 and 16. How do you feel about focusing on those chapters this week?
    @Firande

Just to say I completely loved the latest chapter, especially with Morgyn sussing Tori and Calo getting an Extreme Comeuppance. I do hope that his kid-to-be at least gets a home before things go further south, because it's not the kid's fault, but I also can't believe the nerve of him taking those two to court like any sane judge would hand him a child just because 'familyyyyyy'.
    @lilypadmeulin @Firande Morgyn was awesome. I especially loved when he called himself "just another spellcaster."

I don't think any judge would hand over custody, either. I think it just showed how delusional Calo was to consider it would actually work.
    @katrinasforest Sorry to get back to you so late. Oh yes, that would be a good topic of discussion. Whatever you feel like talking about is fine with me. :)
    edited October 2020
    @lone_cat No worries! ^_^

I joked about it last time your story was up, but now I'm actually curious...was there ever a point when you thought about making Hailey a mermaid or was it always meant to be just part of her dream?
    @katrinasforest

No, I never really thought of making her a mermaid, and I just came up with on it a whim for the dream sequence. I also had not planned on that dream sequence or the fact that she would wind up in the hospital and came up with that last minute. I've always known from the beginning that Hailey was going to be an ordinary human (well, besides the fact that she has a not so ordinary job) and probably would never get turned into a supernatural creature.
    @lone_cat Ah, cool. I was just curious. I can never seem to keep my humans Sims, well...human for very long. But I imagine Hailey would have a tough time bringing an unbiased view to her paranormal investigations if she was a magical creature herself.

FYI, everyone, the next chapter of @lilypadmeulin's Not So Charmed can be found here:
    https://charmeddescendants.blogspot.com/2020/09/chapter-10-as-time-goes-by.html

We'll chat about it this week. :)
    @Firande @lone_cat

Hi, everyone! Just checking in. Thread went quiet this week. (Which I know I contributed to...sorry about that. Time just got away from me, I guess.)

Anyway, we'll do Not So Charmed *this* week. Hope everyone's October is going well so far.

@lilypadmeulin

This chapter was really sweet. Ciara's confusion around everyone's obsession with Calliope Ward (and makeup, for that matter) was so me as a kid. And I loved the line you ended on about her sister's journal. I think you've really captured that childhood logic perfectly. Somehow when we're kids, we always think our problems are totally unique and no one else in the history of time could possibly relate to them.

Of course, add magic into the family, and that's a whole different set of issues. ^_^

I was also excited to see Candy Behr...she's a fun character who always stands out. (I think in my game, I remove Yuki and gave her a brother instead. I don't remember what the plot logic was, but it made sense at the time.) And I can't get over how cute Abbey is! (How did this game function before toddlers were added?)
    @katrinasforest Sorry, I was planning on commenting on the thread this weekend but got really busy. I'm totally fine with doing Not So Charmed this week, it gives me some more time to get caught up and reply. :)
    @lilypadmeulin

Abbey is really adorable. Candy seems to be missing her sister, It's understandable since they lived together and now she's probably lonely because she isn't around. I also never really played the Behrs (this isn't saying much because I don't really play townies) but I've always thought the two of them were adorable, so it's nice to see them in the story.

Ciara and Chanel are so different in personalities. Chanel is into all the new trends and keeping up on fads whereas Ciara couldn't care less. I wonder if Chanel will read her journal? It sounds like Ciara has a crush on Marcus, and I'm not sure what Chanel would do if she knew about it.
    @katrinasforest

It always weirded me out when fully grown children leapt from the crib! I'm currently focusing on another story (Amazon challenge based) while I try to figure out the teenagers. I don't know what Marcus will be like as a teenager, though. And yes, Abbey is ADORABLE. Thank you for all the compliments, I'm smiling.

@lone_cat

Candy does miss Yuki - Morgyn has a lot of responsibility and the girls are at school, so it's a big change for her. She enjoys sitting her niece, though. Ciara and Chanel are definitely going to come into conflict again over Marcus, let's just say that much...
    @lilypadmeulin Interesting. Well, stories wouldn't be stories without a healthy dose of conflict. ^_^

@lone_cat I don't know what it is, but I seem to forget every single week that I'm usually busier on weekends than weekdays. (Or at least, I have less time in front of my computer on weekends.)
    edited October 2020
    @Firande @lilypadmeulin @lone_cat

Hi, everyone! I know I've been perpetually caught behind a day in switching to the new story of the week, and I wanted to apologize for that. I do have the first chapter of "Kids of Straud Mansion" I planned to post tomorrow. If you guys want, I can give myself the rest of this "short" week, and we can start chatting about Xaos this upcoming Sunday. (I don't believe there are any new chapters since our last discussion, but that doesn't mean we can't speculate about what happens next!)

Let me know how you guys feel, and I'll try to be more on top of things.