Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

To the Sims Team: We don't need an october skin fix if we are getting slider in december.

Comments

• GrynnGrynn Posts: 260 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »
    FlpAmaral wrote: »
    I'm sorry if I'm going to sound too harsh, but I seriously can't believe there's some people against having too many tones. Are we really talking about this addition dragging down systems? If I remember correctly people were complaining about the game being too focused on low-end computers and now that's your concern? I just don't understand...

I agree, its 2020 people, if you at least don't have 4gb of ram and a GTX1080, you shouldn't complain about games not working as they should on your pc. I'm sorry but its the truth, new games need new machines. its always been that way.

I don't know how large skin files are, but that many new skin tones will probably be a huge update that will take forever for people to download if their internet connection is slow.

I live in a rural town in a third-world country and even here we already have optic fiber and copper is being almost completely phased out, by next year we won't have a single copper cable in our city.

This is not a mobile game so it's very likely that if you are playing it you are playing it on a computer with access to optic fiber internet.
  • MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
    This is one of the the only times that the sims 4 team have exceeded my expectations (in a good way that is)!

I'd been expecting maybe 20 more swatches for the skin tones and quality improvements to some of the existing tones. And I was happy about that. But this update is adding lot more which makes me even happier!
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,374 Member
    Grynn wrote: »
    I'm sorry if I'm going to sound too harsh, but I seriously can't believe there's some people against having too many tones. Are we really talking about this addition dragging down systems? If I remember correctly people were complaining about the game being too focused on low-end computers and now that's your concern? I just don't understand...

I agree, its 2020 people, if you at least don't have 4gb of ram and a GTX1080, you shouldn't complain about games not working as they should on your pc. I'm sorry but its the truth, new games need new machines. its always been that way.

I don't know how large skin files are, but that many new skin tones will probably be a huge update that will take forever for people to download if their internet connection is slow.

I live in a rural town in a third-world country and even here we already have optic fiber and copper is being almost completely phased out, by next year we won't have a single copper cable in our city.

This is not a mobile game so it's very likely that if you are playing it you are playing it on a computer with access to optic fiber internet.

I have optic fiber but for some reason it's not as fast as it should be.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    edited September 2020
    Grynn wrote: »

My town doesn’t have fiber-optic internet yet, lol, and I’m in the US. (Actually, I just checked, and only 32% of the US has it now.) But I’m not at all worried about the download. :)
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • justice4bonehildajustice4bonehilda Posts: 185 Member

Some of us come from the 90s internet, just leave your pc on the whole night and download it all.

I used to wait for a whole night to download a videoclip from Kazaa, 20 hours for a 120megabyte avi.
    Actually right now gtx 1080 and 2060 are super cheap due to the gtx30 series release. With a 150$ gtx 1080 you can rock the Sims 4 from here and to the future.
  • BeardedgeekBeardedgeek Posts: 5,520 Member

And?
    Origin ID: A_Bearded_Geek
  • simgravessimgraves Posts: 291 Member

ok but its only skin tones. stuff packs probably have more files than the skin tones we are getting. You're making this sound like a an issue. It's not. I and other simmers haven't been able to represent ourselves properly in this game before, and you're complaining about the file size. please, there are better things to dispute about
  • LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,444 Member
    I think we need to put it in perspective. I suspect that the "over 100" skin tones is a combination of Toddler, Child, and Teen and up tones (no idea about babies). So if the tones match for each life stage, then that would be about thirty-something skin tones for each age range, less if babies are included. But that's also in addition to the tones we already have, isn't it? It's still a lot.

And with sliders, that adds a whole new range of possibilities.
    #Team Occult
    LiELF wrote: »
    I think we need to put it in perspective. I suspect that the "over 100" skin tones is a combination of Toddler, Child, and Teen and up tones (no idea about babies). So if the tones match for each life stage, then that would be about thirty-something skin tones for each age range, less if babies are included. But that's also in addition to the tones we already have, isn't it? It's still a lot.

Don't skin tones actually cover all ages? It's not like the sims change colour when they age up.

Don't skin tones actually cover all ages? It's not like the sims change colour when they age up.

I'm not actually sure exactly how the game design works for that, but I know that with custom content, everything is created separately for age groups so I assume the skin textures have to be modeled specifically for each form size, otherwise the shading and highlighting will be all wrong and the mesh too large and come out looking strange.
    #Team Occult

I'm not actually sure exactly how the game design works for that, but I know that with custom content, everything is created separately for age groups so I assume the skin textures have to be modeled specifically for each form size, otherwise the shading and highlighting will be all wrong and the mesh too large and come out looking strange.

I see what you mean, but still all ages have the same skin tones, don't they? Except for babies which I understand have less colour options with them being objects and what not. We currently have 7 life stages, if they did what you're saying it wouldn't add that many new colour options, it would basically be a few new shades and sliders added to all, so that we can make them a bit lighter or darker. I wonder if the sliders will include the cool, warm, neutral options for the undertones.
  • Pamtastic72Pamtastic72 Posts: 4,545 Member
    edited September 2020
    I am starting to wonder, will it be 100 individual swatches, or will it be say 25 swatches that with the undertones and the light to dark slider end up making 100 different tones. 🤔
  • nerdfashionnerdfashion Posts: 5,947 Member
    As an European I am very aware of the differences between people.
    This is not meant as a flaming attack or an insult, but I (against better judgement) spend a lot of time on Twitter, and a lot of the time I get the impression that Americans sort people according to "White, Black, Latino" and that's it. Maybe "Native / First Nation" gets in there if they think about it.

Because over here... I am Swedish. I can pretty accurately pinpoint if another white person is British, Irish, French, Polish or German. Just from subtle differences in facial shapes and skin color. Heck I can usually pinpoint if a Black person is from Britain, France or America.

Not to mention on a global scale: I mean even on a Macro scale: Northen China, Southern China, Korea, Vietnam, Cambodia, India, Mongolia, Iran are all Asian regions. All have noticeable ethnical differences both in facial structure but also in skin tone. A Cambodian woman and a Korean woman has nowhere near the same skin color (on average).

I'm someone who has lived in the United States my entire lives, and we're not taught any of the differences in people's appearances other than how they happen (via genetics). We're taught that you're either White, Black, Latino, Native American/First Nation, Asian, Polynesian, Indian, or Mixed. That's it. We can't tell the difference between if someone is British or Irish without asking first, nothing like that. This is really putting into perspective just how much I want to move away from this country.
    funny-gifs20.gif

• PlayfulDreamerPlayfulDreamer Posts: 91 Member
    This is not meant as a flaming attack or an insult, but I (against better judgement) spend a lot of time on Twitter, and a lot of the time I get the impression that Americans sort people according to "White, Black, Latino" and that's it. Maybe "Native / First Nation" gets in there if they think about it.

Because over here... I am Swedish. I can pretty accurately pinpoint if another white person is British, Irish, French, Polish or German. Just from subtle differences in facial shapes and skin color. Heck I can usually pinpoint if a Black person is from Britain, France or America.

Not to mention on a global scale: I mean even on a Macro scale: Northen China, Southern China, Korea, Vietnam, Cambodia, India, Mongolia, Iran are all Asian regions. All have noticeable ethnical differences both in facial structure but also in skin tone. A Cambodian woman and a Korean woman has nowhere near the same skin color (on average).

I'm someone who has lived in the United States my entire lives, and we're not taught any of the differences in people's appearances other than how they happen (via genetics). We're taught that you're either White, Black, Latino, Native American/First Nation, Asian, Polynesian, Indian, or Mixed. That's it. We can't tell the difference between if someone is British or Irish without asking first, nothing like that. This is really putting into perspective just how much I want to move away from this country.

What a ridiculous sentiment. It's amazing that anyone can keep up with the rapidly-changing standards at all; when I grew up in the 90s, we were taught to recognize that people are people and to not define them by their skin color or ethnicity. Now, in 2020, we're told that to celebrate our humanity, we have to make sure to apply every possible label someone can divine for themselves.

I'm: gay, Hispanic, male. I'd prefer to just be recognized as a person, however--the same as anyone else. But I'm told that in order for my value to be recognized, I need to make sure everyone sees and pays tribute to my every difference. That's not fair to anyone and it boxes me into being a collection of socially-constructed identities that come with all sorts of preconceptions and stereotypes that do not apply to me. No thanks!

There's an awful lot of virtue-signalling in response to the OP. As far as I can tell, they're really only saying that they'd prefer to have the updates combined into one, avoiding a smaller update in October that will more or less be made irrelevant come December. The OP can correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

Nowhere in the first post nor in the OP's subsequent replies, did they argue or advocate for denying anyone anything at all. And yet instead of discussing their points based on their merits, this community thought it'd be better to grandstand and feign moral superiority earned on social media, completely missing the point.
  • LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    I am starting to wonder, will it be 100 individual swatches, or will it be say 25 swatches that with the undertones and the light to dark slider end up making 100 different tones. 🤔

I’m thinking the 100+ skin tone presets and the slider are going to be pretty much the same thing but one of them is going to be easier and nicer to use (the slider) and the other is going to overwhelming, messy, and time consuming to go through (the 100+ presets). They’re just giving us options.

I’m happy they are fixing the skin tones and giving us the slider but I have hard time believing they are going to be able to make one hundred new skin tones and make them look good in this short amount of time.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • haneulhaneul Posts: 1,953 Member
    edited September 2020

But honestly, it's generally not good to make random guesses about where others are from. If someone needs to know, they should ask politely. I've lived in several wildly different countries and people are always making different guesses based on their own experiences (the guesses are mostly wrong). We need more diverse skintones in the game and many countries are also becoming more diverse so this guessing of nationality based on skintone can be super offensive and inaccurate.
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member

British and Irish sound so different. Once you’re more around people who speak with either accent you’ll be able to tell right away.
    Regardless this thread seems to have derailed

• WaytoomanyUIDsWaytoomanyUIDs Posts: 844 Member
    edited September 2020

If your system only has 4GB RAM and you put a GTX 1080 in it, then you are wasting a GTX 1080, most have 4 GB GDDR graphics RAM or more. You always want at least twice as much system memory as graphic memory, at a bare minimum.
    Post edited by WaytoomanyUIDs on
    Origin/Gallery ID: WaytoomanyUIDs
  • NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member

Where are you living that you are not bring taught those things? I also live in the USA, and remember being taught about different cultures (even multiple caucasian cultures) in the 1980's. Perhaps it is because I have descendants of Norwegian, German, and British in my own background. I knew they are all very different without being taught.

What a ridiculous sentiment. It's amazing that anyone can keep up with the rapidly-changing standards at all; when I grew up in the 90s, we were taught to recognize that people are people and to not define them by their skin color or ethnicity. Now, in 2020, we're told that to celebrate our humanity, we have to make sure to apply every possible label someone can divine for themselves.

I'm: gay, Hispanic, male. I'd prefer to just be recognized as a person, however--the same as anyone else. But I'm told that in order for my value to be recognized, I need to make sure everyone sees and pays tribute to my every difference. That's not fair to anyone and it boxes me into being a collection of socially-constructed identities that come with all sorts of preconceptions and stereotypes that do not apply to me. No thanks!

There's an awful lot of virtue-signalling in response to the OP. As far as I can tell, they're really only saying that they'd prefer to have the updates combined into one, avoiding a smaller update in October that will more or less be made irrelevant come December. The OP can correct me if I'm wrong, of course.

Nowhere in the first post nor in the OP's subsequent replies, did they argue or advocate for denying anyone anything at all. And yet instead of discussing their points based on their merits, this community thought it'd be better to grandstand and feign moral superiority earned on social media, completely missing the point.

Preconceptions and stereotypes work both ways, and under right circumstances can work to your advantage. That's how people's minds work, they try to peg you into a familiar pattern, hence the stereotyping. It's worse to be the odd one who doesn't fit in.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,457 Member
    edited September 2020
    DLTD-OT.
    Post edited by CAPTAIN_NXR7 on

I see what you mean, but still all ages have the same skin tones, don't they? Except for babies which I understand have less colour options with them being objects and what not. We currently have 7 life stages, if they did what you're saying it wouldn't add that many new colour options, it would basically be a few new shades and sliders added to all, so that we can make them a bit lighter or darker. I wonder if the sliders will include the cool, warm, neutral options for the undertones.

Yes, they have the same skin tone colors, but if new ones are added, I believe they still need to be created for each Sim size, not age group. Teen-elder are one size, children are another, and toddlers are another. This is how CC creators usually do it. If they make a new skin tone for teens/young adults/adults/elders and then want to expand it for children and toddlers, they have to do further adjustments and usually offer those files separately.

Anyway, that's why I think the devs might be counting the skin tones in total, including the younger ages. If the 100 tones are split between Teen-elder (as one group), children and toddlers, that's about thirty something new tones for each. If they do include baby tones then that number would be reduced. I hope that made sense.
    #Team Occult
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I think I'm more of a Heinz 57 myself have know idea what all I'm suppose to be :)
    more for sim kids and more drama please

If your system only has 4GB RAM and you put a GTX 1080 in it, then you are wasting a GTX 1080, most have 4 GB GDDR graphics RAM or more. You always want at least twice as much system memory as graphic memory, at a bare minimum.

That's why i say at least, 8gb ram is really popular right now, even the 16 ones.