Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Has The Sims increased your interest in arcitecture?

I am studying the 'modern movement' at the moment. I always had an interest in architecture which is one reason why I enjoyed the house building as aspect of The Sims but over the years my interest has grown far beyond housing and towards commercial, social, educational, industrial and leisure buildings.

I think that building is one of the most important parts of a Sims game and should allow the players to build in any style that they want. I am always learning something new about housing or other buildings.

Tonight I shall be reading a PDF focusing on Hertfordshire Local Education Authorities post war school building program.

Anyone here from Herts?

Has The Sims increased your interest in buildings?
Simbourne
screenshot_original.jpg

Comments

• texxx78texxx78 Posts: 5,657 Member
    Not mine but def my sister's. She started building in sims and then she became an architect.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    No, not increased it, I was always a big builder way back when it was TS1. I bought a book of house floor plans just to copy the houses to the best that I could with the limitations of the game. I'm still waiting for them to allow us to have slanted ceilings for a MCM build or vaulted/cathedral ceilings.
  • CynnaCynna Posts: 2,369 Member
    For me, it was the other way around. I was already interested in architecture. Or, more accurately, interior design and creating efficient floor plans. I've still got old sketchbooks full of elevations and room treatments. The Sims series helped me to see my designs in action. Falling in love with the little Sim people was a happy bonus. I enjoy playing with the Sims most of all. Yet, one of my favorite past times is to download a home and to rehab it while maintaining the builder's original intent for the style of the home.
    I3Ml5Om.jpg
  • TS1299TS1299 Posts: 1,604 Member
    You have no Idea how I become an Architect Geek.

I remember in my Art Class and they showed a picture of a house, and I was like That is a Tudor Style and that is Victorian so Cool!!!!!! And everyone was looking at me. My Excitement seeing these things in real life was explainable when I see things that I learned from the sims hahaha
  • CinebarCinebar Posts: 33,618 Member
    Yes, though I think I was always curious about how things are built, how things work in real life. I learned terms I didn't know. What was this called or what was that called etc. Something as simple as a fascia board. lol It has been a good learning experience since TS1.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
  • NushnushganayNushnushganay Posts: 9,418 Member
    Yes. I didn't know what half those things were called (take spandrels, for instance) but now I find myself scrutinizing the old colonials, Victorians, and New Englanders where I live, admiring the spandrels, the columns, the...whatever the roof trims were called again, I forget, and taking note of the porch railings, where and how shoerails are used in real life, that sort of thing. I already knew from experience that certain things in some builds I have seen, make no sense from a realistic perspective, (such as elaborate old Victorians full of fireplaces but not a single chimney, in Forgotten Hollow), but now I understand more about porch railings vs. yard fencing, where shoerails are and aren't generally used in stairs (indoors and out, modern and traditional).
    Racism is EVERYONE's fight #BLM #StopAsianHate
    Let's make Liberty and Justice For All a reality.

xicwqMCm.jpg
  • Cavapoo_KingCavapoo_King Posts: 5,148 Member
    edited September 2020
    I am studying the 'modern movement' at the moment. I always had an interest in architecture which is one reason why I enjoyed the house building as aspect of The Sims but over the years my interest has grown far beyond housing and towards commercial, social, educational, industrial and leisure buildings.

I think that building is one of the most important parts of a Sims game and should allow the players to build in any style that they want. I am always learning something new about housing or other buildings.

Tonight I shall be reading a PDF focusing on Hertfordshire Local Education Authorities post war school building program.

Anyone here from Herts?

It has a but not enough that I would learn to be one

(I live 2 hours away from Herts)
    Gallery ID: cavapoo_king
  • king_of_simcity7king_of_simcity7 Posts: 25,102 Member
    I am following the Facebook group 'modernism in Metroland'

These are some of their recent shares if anyone fancies a build?

(Some Facebook pictures might not show here)

Abbottshall Avenue, Arnos Grove, Enfield

1934-6

Frank and Charles Woodward

119423400_1031809687249985_752887217400759750_o.jpg?_nc_cat=104&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=7JTD15qx-LEAX-mxFPr&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr4-1.fna&oh=6ce05b96d5b1da8171f1ef318e5e9c77&oe=5F90DE1B

Parkleys, Ham Common, Richmond Upon Thames

Eric Lyons & Partners

119961128_1038159806614973_7103654032755185650_o.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=avqxZeVR9gUAX_1Ki3t&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr4-2.fna&oh=f18ba90c68a4b78fb75e3cce3784cee5&oe=5F90BFF2

2 Broadfields Avenue, Edgware

J.E. Newberry

107095153_978432719254349_9170881505005716269_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_sid=8024bb&_nc_ohc=1xpB2Dv6pZsAX_h_ZCj&_nc_ht=scontent.flhr4-2.fna&oh=e628957e8aa963181c1b2d6339c61980&oe=5F8F646B

Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    Love the pics. It's funny how buildings from generations ago look more space/modern designs than things built today. lol I love many of those shapes which seemed to be more popular in the 20's and 30's than they are today in newer designs.
    "Games Are Not The Place To Tell Stories, Games Are Meant To Let People Tell Their Own Stories"...Will Wright.
    @Cinebar wrote: »
    Love the pics. It's funny how buildings from generations ago look more space/modern designs than things built today. lol I love many of those shapes which seemed to be more popular in the 20's and 30's than they are today in newer designs.

I see some styles got he full circle. I have noticed some 30s styles are coming back in my area:

Bourne-View-Sign-Outside.jpg

This is what it would look like if built in The Sims:

65432232226_150319100011.jpg
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
    That's awesome.
  • KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,881 Member
    Wonderful houses, @king_of_simcity7 ! Getting really inspired here :) I kept getting lost when I did a search for them (to get more detailed pictures, maybe even floorplans! :O ) and found more and more builds I want to do :D

I have always been keenly interested in the building part of Sims, ever since my first, feeble attempts at building in TS1 (2001).
  • OldeseadoggeOldeseadogge Posts: 4,973 Member
    Most definitely! Building has always been one of the most fun things in Sims for me, a way to test ideas of style and placement. To make a long story short, while researching for a Sims build I started investigating some Victorian designs. That era is fascinating, and a whole new hobby got launched - Victorian architecture, and the cultural influences that produced it. I've a bookshelf crammed full of books on the subject, happy reading for its own self and for ideas for Sims houses. Rare is the sim of mine that does not 'live' in a Vicky, either built from scratch or a conversion from what EA came up with.
  • smurfy77smurfy77 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Yes it has, i never before thought I was really interested in architecture until I began playing even just Sims 1. I am most definitely not a great builder by any means, but I do love to try, and learn new tricks too. I think I would live to get better at it just so I can make some great builds in Sims game, and decorate bc I really love decorating too. There's just a little satisfaction feeling when I built and decorated something I love to use. I hope to get better.
  • LatinaBunnyLatinaBunny Posts: 4,666 Member
    No, not really. I’m horrible at building and interior design.
    ~*~Occult Family Player player~*~
    (She/her)
  • Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,404 Member
    I'm an ex-realtor... which means for six years out of my life, I lived and breathed nothing but houses. It fascinated me...but I'm more into Vancouver Specials and other stuff that is around my neck of the woods.

5cd74c84240000580079a2ab.jpeg

...and McMansions that seem to permeate our West Side.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
    Modernism in Metroland have a new picture up. Note the 'traditional houses either side. The modernists houses where only seldom built at the time:

'46 Ailsa Road (1935) Couch & Coupland
    3 storey cubist influenced house near the River Thames in Twickenham, designed by the local partnership of William Couch and William Coupland'

Ei_sYp_XkAAANPW?format=jpg&name=medium
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • GalacticGalGalacticGal Posts: 28,290 Member
    edited September 2020
    I have always been interested in architecture. I have a great deal of fun looking at the houses we pass when driving along. From the time of my youth, I have been able to memorize a floor plan from houses I've been in, at least more than once. I started out in Sims2 creating houses I had lived in and houses I always liked. I'm starting to take more notice of landscaping and learning from what others do to make their lot have curb appeal. I also have a long way to go when it comes to roofing, but I'm working on it. :)

One of my favorite builds, strictly from my imagination:
    jogI0yI.jpg
    From the rear:
    Mrx6UWK.jpg
    You can download (free) all three volumes of my Night Whispers Star Trek Fanfiction here: http://galacticgal.deviantart.com/gallery/ You'll need to have a pdf reader. New websites: http://www.trekkiefanfiction.com/st-tos.php
    http://www.getfreeebooks.com/star-trek-original-series-fan-fiction-trilogy/
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    I think I have always had an interest in buildings as I used to play in 3D Home Architect before the Sims. :lol: The Sims is more fun and easier to use. :smile:
  • sketchessketches Posts: 274 Member
    edited September 2020

Anyone here from Herts?

Yes, since Day 1 of playing The Sims.

In high school, during the days of The Sims 2, I had done a class project on designing my dream house in The Sims 2. (So funny... That was before Sims 3 building tools, and long before the incredible innovations of The Sims 4 build mode.)

I went on an architecture shadowing program in high school, too, which was absolutely fueled by my Sims gameplay. I also played in actual architectural programs. Yes... those were my computer games. Ha! :)

(The Sims has also exponentially increased my interest & exposure to interior design!)

I strongly believe The Sims should continue to be a tool for expanding creativity, including expressing yourself via interior design, architecture & landscaping. (But also for fashion design & beauty ... and also in lifestyle and family planning, or just however you want to play The Sims!)

I am not from Herts. Best of luck! Keep us all posted. ♥
    Origin ID: sketchur
    Sims 3 MyPage: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/sketches

#FixThePersonalities
  • sketchessketches Posts: 274 Member
    I have a great deal of fun looking at the houses we pass when driving along. From the time of my youth, I have been able to memorize a floor plan from houses I've been in, at least more than once.

Wow, you're not alone! Even to this day, my mind also still remembers the floorplan of anywhere I've ventured. It's kind of a cool and helpful ability. And yes... looking by at houses. ♥
    Origin ID: sketchur
    Sims 3 MyPage: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/sketches

#FixThePersonalities
  • MsKatieRoseMsKatieRose Posts: 672 Member
    Nope. I've always built more in Sims 4 rather than gameplay. I've also always been a fan of Architecture. My favorite styles are Spanish Revival, Modern Contemporary, Some Art Deco, and I like Gothic Church Buildings. Right now,I live in area with a lot of Franklin Lloyd Wright designed buildings, too.
    Always be your unapologetically and authentic self
    @Kathykins wrote: »
    Wonderful houses, @king_of_simcity7 ! Getting really inspired here :) I kept getting lost when I did a search for them (to get more detailed pictures, maybe even floorplans! :O ) and found more and more builds I want to do :D

I have always been keenly interested in the building part of Sims, ever since my first, feeble attempts at building in TS1 (2001).

I love looking for floor plans :smile:
    Simbourne
    screenshot_original.jpg
  • the_red_simmerthe_red_simmer Posts: 36 Member
    I don’t think Sims has increased my desire to learn about architecture but interior design/color theory has become more of an interest!
  • SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,108 Member
    I've never ever been interested in architecture.
    However, once in a while when I see an interesting shape building I think to myself, "I wonder how I can build that to my game" or when I watch a show or movie I think "How can I make that character's features in CAS".
    Sometimes I think I play Sims 4 way too much. LOL 😆🤣