Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

To the Sims Team: We don't need an october skin fix if we are getting slider in december.

Comments

• DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    edited September 2020
    Well I play on a MacBook Pro, it could be better, but it’s not too bad though.
    I had my laptop before I started playing TS4 and can’t afford to buy a gaming laptop just to play TS4.
    *Please note that the October PC update will, at this point, be visible only to those running the game with the “Uncompressed Sim Textures” graphics settings turned ON. This will not be the default setting on all machines, so follow these steps to check your settings and see the graphic updates. To turn ON “Uncompressed Sim Texture” in the game, go to Options > Game Options > Graphics Tab > Graphics Sections > check “Uncompressed Sim Textures.” If your machine has lower graphics settings and you attempt to run with uncompressed graphics, you may experience a crash; to recover, please re-enable graphic compression. Based on the current specs that default “Uncompressed Sim Textures” to ON, we recommend a graphics card rated medium, high, or ultra and at least 2 GB video RAM.

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/news/october-skin-tones-update?utm_campaign=sims4_hd_ww_ic_soco_twt_skin-tones-update-tw&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&cid=65244&ts=1600883731701

Wait does this mean we have to have a high end machine to fix these skintone issues?

It’s about time folks start playing their game on a more competent machine, not on a grilled cheese sandwich.

• LiELFLiELF Posts: 6,439 Member
    Goodness. That's going to be quite a selection! I have an awful lot of Sims to do over, lol.
    #Team Occult
  • Gemmie12Gemmie12 Posts: 262 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    Well I play on a MacBook Pro, it could be better, but it’s not too bad though.
    I had my laptop before I started playing TS4 and can’t afford to buy a gaming laptop just to play TS4.
    *Please note that the October PC update will, at this point, be visible only to those running the game with the “Uncompressed Sim Textures” graphics settings turned ON. This will not be the default setting on all machines, so follow these steps to check your settings and see the graphic updates. To turn ON “Uncompressed Sim Texture” in the game, go to Options > Game Options > Graphics Tab > Graphics Sections > check “Uncompressed Sim Textures.” If your machine has lower graphics settings and you attempt to run with uncompressed graphics, you may experience a crash; to recover, please re-enable graphic compression. Based on the current specs that default “Uncompressed Sim Textures” to ON, we recommend a graphics card rated medium, high, or ultra and at least 2 GB video RAM.

https://www.ea.com/games/the-sims/the-sims-4/news/october-skin-tones-update?utm_campaign=sims4_hd_ww_ic_soco_twt_skin-tones-update-tw&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&cid=65244&ts=1600883731701

Wait does this mean we have to have a high end machine to fix these skintone issues?

It’s about time folks start playing their game on a more competent machine, not on a grilled cheese sandwich.

I used to play sims 4 on an older laptop, but it's not the reason I upgraded to a newer one. I upgraded to a newer laptop because said old laptop is 8 years old and I was mainly having issues running even basic programs before it freezes then crashes to black screen.
    CJcvgXD.png
    Lein Modded Legacy

OriginID/PSN: Gemmie12
  • mia_noelle97mia_noelle97 Posts: 575 Member
    The October update is to fix how patchy and ashy the existing skin tones look, so yes, we do need it. People have been asking for them to fix those skin tones for years.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    Why cant we have both that are well developed instead of just choosing one over the other?
    ihavemultiplegamertags
  • stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    edited September 2020
    The October patch is to fix the current darker shades -- if there are any issues with some of them even after the fix, they can work on those to release with the mega skin patch in December. B)
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • kristenleighwhitekristenleighwhite Posts: 226 Member
    I don't understand the need for 100+ swatches since we are already getting a slider to make a certain swatch darker/lighter. I think having that many presets is going to be too many different options to look at.
    I understand them adding more undertones and a few presets of each, but then the slider can make an undertone lighter or darker.

You dont have to understand it. So long as EA does, im good :D<3

But besides your disregard for how others play, light and dark doesnt cut it. Theres a lot more to skintones than just being able to scale it lighter or darker.

Hi, I'm actually really looking forward to the update. I just think for a cleaner looking UI, It might be nice to have different undertones, with 5 or so varying levels of light to dark. Then, any skin color could be represented from those bases with the slider. I'm not disregarding anything, and believe, quite frankly, this should have been done from the start.
  • CatzillaCatzilla Posts: 1,181 Member
    This will be great! Warm to cool palettes will be very nice. I hope it allows players to fix color saturations like toning down the red tones in the skin colors.
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    We’re getting 100 skin tones and sliders for makeup and skin tone, I’ll take that in place of a color wheel. While I loved the color wheel for objects and decor in the Sims 3, I think this looks to be good. I don’t think they’d have the energy to make a color wheel for every object in the game.
    bixters wrote: »
    We’re getting 100 skin tones and sliders for makeup and skin tone, I’ll take that in place of a color wheel. While I loved the color wheel for objects and decor in the Sims 3, I think this looks to be good. I don’t think they’d have the energy to make a color wheel for every object in the game.

Are they having a slider for objects and clothes too?
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    we need all the fixes we can get
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • SheriSim57SheriSim57 Posts: 6,934 Member
    As an European I am very aware of the differences between people.
    This is not meant as a flaming attack or an insult, but I (against better judgement) spend a lot of time on Twitter, and a lot of the time I get the impression that Americans sort people according to "White, Black, Latino" and that's it. Maybe "Native / First Nation" gets in there if they think about it.

Because over here... I am Swedish. I can pretty accurately pinpoint if another white person is British, Irish, French, Polish or German. Just from subtle differences in facial shapes and skin color. Heck I can usually pinpoint if a Black person is from Britain, France or America.

Not to mention on a global scale: I mean even on a Macro scale: Northen China, Southern China, Korea, Vietnam, Cambodia, India, Mongolia, Iran are all Asian regions. All have noticeable ethnical differences both in facial structure but also in skin tone. A Cambodian woman and a Korean woman has nowhere near the same skin color (on average).

Interesting.
  • RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    edited September 2020
    Please focus on the december patch and don't waste time giving us a fix for probably 10 dark skin tones, focus on the big thing: the color wheel (Slider).

Update: I made a mistake is not color wheel but a slider.

well, umm, no.
    They need to fix the general look of colors before they can add new ones, it makes total sense.

I also tend to use the same few skin colors, and my main reason is: because most of the others look bad!
    So I am exited for this update, I love variety and since they stated this will only be the start, I am hoping for more and improved haircolors too. More options are good in my book.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• NorthDakotaGamerNorthDakotaGamer Posts: 2,559 Member
    Oh my, I really don't need "100" skintones warm and cold etc in my game. I think thee are plenty skin tones already, I won't benefit from any more. It's fine they improve the ashy looking darker, but aside from that - I feel bad for the political correctness affecting this more than it should. Most who protested did that to be heard, not to improve the game. Unfortunately EA had no choice. But do we REALLY need all this??? How many GB will this add...? Are you all on such fantastic graphics that you will be able to tell a difference between skin tone #76 and #77?

There are ZERO skins with cool undertones. So although you may not need it, to properly make a sim to be similar to myself, I need a a light skin with cool undertones. So, this update will be helpful not only to those with darker skin, but to others who think the light skintones are all too orange.
  • HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    edited September 2020
    If this is a first step towards an adjustable slider on a number of things in CAS, then it must only be a matter of time until the colour wheel figures into it on clothes as well.

I don't really care that much about skin tones or the make up (default are generally good enough as is), but i do care in the direction this entire line of updates is going to take afterwards.
  • dearie_blossomdearie_blossom Posts: 707 Member
    I‘m glad they‘re not half-🐸🐸🐸🐸 it. 100 new skin tones, a skin tone slider, a makeup slider and updated basegame hair sound great and is long overdue.

This is going to break so much cc though. I hope cc creators update them.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member
    DaWaterRat wrote: »

we recommend a graphics card rated medium, high, or ultra and at least 2 GB video RAM

I interpret this as you'll need a decent - though not necessarily all the way to "high end" - machine with a good video card. Otherwise, the artifacting caused by file compression will still be there.

Basically the new skins are probably high-resolution files and need a sufficiently robust system to take advantage of them.

I wonder how large the new patch will be with 100+ new skin tones with sliders and high definitions files. I understand the upcoming October patch will only be noticeable to those with higher end computers and frankly I don't understand what difference it will make, as I read before that currently it is possible to fix the patchy skin tones by clicking the uncompressed textures box.
  • AedanStarfangAedanStarfang Posts: 272 Member
    edited September 2020
    Onverser wrote: »
    They're giving you something to tide you over. Really don't see the point of complaining as they're going above and beyond with this. We've all seen the amount of people whining about skin tones even after they announced they were coming.

At this point people are just looking to complain.

"Above and beyond"
    , for features that should have been in the game at launch. Ok werk.
  • FelicityFelicity Posts: 4,979 Member
    edited September 2020
    by makeup slider, I hope they mean for opacity. I also hope that the skin tone swatches are set up as sliders. (they are) With those two changes, at least the game is getting partially to where Sims 3 was at launch (though Sims 3 had separate color channels on makeup). They can do this, and IMO the game should have been released with these features. I'm glad they're doing this now.

Edit: I honestly am glad they're doing this. The way colors and makeup are handled in Sims 4 was a real step backwards. The more customizable they can make these things, the better. And I certainly don't think 100 skintones are too many.
  • InuMiroLoverInuMiroLover Posts: 1,184 Member
    This is probably the only piece of news Ive looked forward to all year. If the skins are actually good, I might not even need to use my cc skintones anymore.
  • kristenleighwhitekristenleighwhite Posts: 226 Member
    Cinebar wrote: »
    Oh my, I really don't need "100" skintones warm and cold etc in my game. I think thee are plenty skin tones already, I won't benefit from any more. It's fine they improve the ashy looking darker, but aside from that - I feel bad for the political correctness affecting this more than it should. Most who protested did that to be heard, not to improve the game. Unfortunately EA had no choice. But do we REALLY need all this??? How many GB will this add...? Are you all on such fantastic graphics that you will be able to tell a difference between skin tone #76 and #77?

I agree with the no need to have 100 skintones added. What's that about? I know I remove skins in TS2 because they drag down my system even though I can manage over 6GBs of cc. I can't imagine how slow this might make TS4. Nor what I would do with 100 of them. Especially if there is a slider, too, that could improve a tone rather than fifty more.

It's almost like when I download cc hair and see there are fifty other hair colors (pink, green, purple, etc. etc.) that I will never use, and have to deselect installing those. Very bothersome, sometimes, especially if the creator went overboard.
    When I could just take that to Gimp and change the hue if I want a blue hair do. Or mixed, crazy colors.

And wouldn't a slider do the same thing? lol I don't understand it. Wouldn't a slider added being the same as changing a hue so that no one really 'needs' 100 more. I don't know, I don't understand why not fix the bad skintones in TS4, add a slider (and skintones for babies!) and be done with it, all that money for 100 more? When traits need fixed.

This was my thought. They should have fixed the the skin tones they put out long ago. With this update, I would like them to add different undertones, but the sliders from there should work to go from lightest to darkest with each undertone. 100+ presets is redundant with a slider option and will be a lot to look at IMO. The sliders with proper undertones should allow every simmer to create whatever color/race/ etc they should want to make.
  • caliposscaliposs Posts: 320 Member
    I'm sorry if I'm going to sound too harsh, but I seriously can't believe there's some people against having too many tones. Are we really talking about this addition dragging down systems? If I remember correctly people were complaining about the game being too focused on low-end computers and now that's your concern? I just don't understand...
    he/him
  • justice4bonehildajustice4bonehilda Posts: 185 Member
    FlpAmaral wrote: »
    I'm sorry if I'm going to sound too harsh, but I seriously can't believe there's some people against having too many tones. Are we really talking about this addition dragging down systems? If I remember correctly people were complaining about the game being too focused on low-end computers and now that's your concern? I just don't understand...

I agree, its 2020 people, if you at least don't have 4gb of ram and a GTX1080, you shouldn't complain about games not working as they should on your pc. I'm sorry but its the truth, new games need new machines. its always been that way.
  • crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member

I agree, its 2020 people, if you at least don't have 4gb of ram and a GTX1080, you shouldn't complain about games not working as they should on your pc. I'm sorry but its the truth, new games need new machines. its always been that way.

I don't know how large skin files are, but that many new skin tones will probably be a huge update that will take forever for people to download if their internet connection is slow.
  • auroraael14auroraael14 Posts: 988 Member
    I'm actually really excited about this update! I love that we're getting a slider. I wish this applied to furniture as well.
    Check out my gallery for house builds! Username: aejp24
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    crocobaura wrote: »

I don't know how large skin files are, but that many new skin tones will probably be a huge update that will take forever for people to download if their internet connection is slow.

I guess no more than a stuff pack or less. Old processors could slow down download time, but once it’s installed it’s installed. It’s really up to the machine/GPU whether it can display the skin tones properly.