Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Skintones update leak ?? (True!!)

DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
https://simscommunity.info/2020/09/23/the-sims-4-is-getting-new-skin-tones-skin-tone-makeup-sliders-and-more/

I just saw that on sims community. There was a post apparently leaked on an official forum.
We’d get 100 new skin tones, sliders, even makeup sliders.

Do you think this is true ?
Sounds kinda too good to be true, but I hope

Update : It’s true. Yay!!.
Post edited by Dianesims on

Comments

• JustinJustin Posts: 731 Member
    Maybe. But I rather them focus on gameplay depth & other things then representation. That’s just me tho.
  • logionlogion Posts: 4,712 Member
    Hopefully this is true and not the same as all the other fake leaks that we have gotten recently. It's probably for the best to not expect anything until we hear more from Maxis.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    It better be!
    If not a colour wheel, Skintone swatch presets and tone sliders are the best kind of tool to keep a lot of simmers happy.
    I do feel it’s genuine. After the skintone announcement I expected there would be some CAS overhaul because just adding a couple of skintones isn’t going to satisfy everyone. The demand will continue. It would be nice if hair got the same treatment...

All we can do is wait for an official word. Turning on uncompressed skin textures may be a little demanding for potato machines though. I hope folks are prepared not to get what they want if their laptop cannot deal with the texture toggle. :#
  • DianesimsDianesims Posts: 2,867 Member
    edited September 2020
    I have a mac, which, gaming wise, qualifies as a « potato machine » I guess :(

I’ll be very happy if we get more darker skintones and sliders. If they want to add one or two new lighter skin tones as well, I won’t say no. And of course I hope hairs will get an update too.

Makeup sliders would be great too !!
    It better be!
    If not a colour wheel, Skintone swatch presets and tone sliders are the best kind of tool to keep a lot of simmers happy.
    I do feel it’s genuine. After the skintone announcement I expected there would be some CAS overhaul because just adding a couple of skintones isn’t going to satisfy everyone. The demand will continue. It would be nice if hair got the same treatment...

All we can do is wait for an official word. Turning on uncompressed skin textures may be a little demanding for potato machines though. I hope folks are prepared not to get what they want if their laptop cannot deal with the texture toggle. :#

• IsharellIsharell Posts: 1,158 Member
    It sounds very promising. Fingers crossed that it is true.
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    I have a mac, which, gaming wise, qualifies as a « potato machine » I guess :(

Not necessarily. It depends on what kind of graphics card it has. Try turning the toggle on and see how it works.
  • chaccechacce Posts: 49 Member
    I'm 99% sure that this is real. The source is made by an EA community manager from the official EA forums. It only stayed online for around 30 seconds so I think this was put up too early.
  • ohmyohmyohmyohmy Posts: 614 Member
    Good! I hope this is true. I never understand why they got rid of the skintone slider from TS3 like that was such a bad idea. I do not want to stay in the TS2/TS4 days of only having a couple skintones. ,-, hopefully we'll have a skintone slider in TS5 as well.
  • RouensimsRouensims Posts: 4,858 Member
    Oh, wow, I hope this is true! It’s way more than I’d been expecting!
    Ooh Be Gah!! Whipna Choba-Dog? Whipna Choba-Dog!! :smiley:
  • DaWaterRatDaWaterRat Posts: 3,351 Member
    This is good news, though I'm thinking that whoever is managing the websites may need a break/more support/more sleep or something...
  • bixtersbixters Posts: 2,299 Member
    That’s awesome! Looks like it’s true. 100 skin tones sounds amazing :)
    I hope after this they can get to improving our sims personalities..
  • GracieO312GracieO312 Posts: 1,291 Member
    edited September 2020
    I hope they do the same for hair as well.

They said in the blog post that it was only the beginning so maybe...

EDIT: wait, do you think the sliders will apply to occult skintones too?
  • KathMHughesKathMHughes Posts: 439 Member
    It says they'll update 4 base game hair styles - 2 in the October update, 2 in the December update.

We all know 1 style is the base game afro.

What are your guesses for the other 3?
    edited September 2020
    I think the basegame braids maybe ? (I hope, cause they look kinda weird).
    It says they'll update 4 base game hair styles - 2 in the October update, 2 in the December update.

We all know 1 style is the base game afro.

What are your guesses for the other 3?

• KathMHughesKathMHughes Posts: 439 Member
    Ok- big afro, medium afro, short afro-texture (on men only) and braids?
  • bandit5bandit5 Posts: 917 Member
    bixters wrote: »
    That’s awesome! Looks like it’s true. 100 skin tones sounds amazing :)
    I hope after this they can get to improving our sims personalities..
    why would you think it not true if on the offical site?

• bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    good, but it really was necessary a whole national movement to get the company to address something so simple. now, can someone please tell me what should we do to get the rest of the game issues addressed as well?
    edited September 2020
    I did update my post, since it’s true.

@bellagoth_ The thing is, it should have been done from the beginning when the game came out.

It’s great that we get a slider, we’ll now have a real variety of skintones, and more realistic ones :)
    The hairs also needed to be updated, most basegame hairs are bad anyway, but the Afro one looks particularly bad and textureless.
  • SelinaKylesSelinaKyles Posts: 4,337 Member
    Hope that hideous cabbage Afro is one the base game hairs they intend to fix. It’s insulting they based it off a cabbage or was it a cauliflower. It neeeds to go
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    Dianesims wrote: »
    I did update my post, since it’s true.

@bellagoth_ The thing is, it should have been done from the beginning when the game game out.

It’s great that we get a slider, we’ll now have a real variety of skintones, and more realistic ones :)
    The hairs also needed to be updated, most basegame hairs are bad anyway, but the Afro one looks particularly bad and textureless.

exactly, they should've done it from the start, especially given how repetitive they are with the whole representation thing.
    but what they should've done from the very start is to make a game well coded, that instead of hindering and limiting them to add stuff, could make it way easier. imagine all the great content we could've get if the game had a solid base.
  • icmnfrshicmnfrsh Posts: 18,789 Member
    Hope that hideous cabbage Afro is one the base game hairs they intend to fix. It’s insulting they based it off a cabbage or was it a cauliflower. It neeeds to go

The cauliflower fro was the first thing that came to mind. I think that one is a given, haha
    Don't manhandle the urchin. He's not for sale. FIND YOUR OWN! - Xenon the Antiquarian, Dragon Age II

Race Against the Clock: Can your elder sim turn back the clock before their time runs out?
  • IceyJIceyJ Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited September 2020
    Justin wrote: »
    Maybe. But I rather them focus on gameplay depth & other things then representation. That’s just me tho.

Spoken like someone who's already being represented...

They can still work on the other things, too.
  • SimmervilleSimmerville Posts: 11,644 Member
    It's official, see posty on the The Sims 4 Latest News of this very forum :)

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/981779/a-note-from-our-team-how-were-addressing-skin-tone-improvements#latest

There is additional disclaimer that some improvement will require high settings re sim textures.
    Simmerville on Youtube | My blog is updated weekly: Simmerville's Sims<br>a.jpg
  • IvyeyedIvyeyed Posts: 358 Member
    GracieO312 wrote: »
    I hope they do the same for hair as well.

They said in the blog post that it was only the beginning so maybe...

EDIT: wait, do you think the sliders will apply to occult skintones too?

Yeah, adding 100 swatches with sliders is just going to further highlight how bad the hair color selection is unless they plan to follow it up with hair swatch additions as well.

A beautiful brown skintone and improved afro texture aren't gonna help much if the afro still looks blue instead of black.

Sometimes I stream.

This EA account is shared between two longtime roommates. The one most likely to be writing here is me, the taller of the roommates, whose opinions do not always represent the opinions of the shorter roommate.