Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

To keep or to sell?

MaggieMarleyMaggieMarley Posts: 5,299 Member
For the first time, I have completed the fish collection (all the fish from the base game anyway but not all of the fish from packs - don't think I'll bother with them as you don't need to catch them to officially complete the collection and get the plaque).

I have put one of each kind of fish up on the wall. But now I'm not sure what to do with the extra fish (I mean the duplicates). Should I keep them or sell them? What do you collectors usually do?

To keep or to sell? 71 votes

Keep the extra fish
0%
Sell the extra fish
85%
crocobaurawinkeljohn78Colorist40CamkatshadyladynzTheSpotted_CmcruddIsb917Bloosmooelanorbretonhaneulloubylouloustilljustme2MindofyLizzychicagoKatiardguezsmurf45bluetaydevAlwe1507phantasmkiss 61 votes
Other
14%
BoergeAarg61cmbaker16AnnLee87KathykinsMDianaSimsRavenSpitSERVERFRAamp107HoveraelZora1327 10 votes

Comments

• Options
    keene61keene61 Posts: 259 Member
    Sell the extra fish
    I normally sell them. Normally I only collect to make some cash, so I have no reason to hang onto them other than to use them in cooking.
  • Options
    BoergeAarg61BoergeAarg61 Posts: 955 Member
    Other
    I put them in the refrigerator provided the sims are neither vegetarians nor mersims.
  • Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    Other
    Use them as fertiliser for the garden (anything above 50 simoleons will do). Also, if they're not foul, store a few in the fridge for food. Then sell the really expensive ones and the others you know you won't use.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    I put them in the refrigerator provided the sims are neither vegetarians nor mersims.

@BoergeAarg61 do you keep them for cooking with then?
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    MDianaSims wrote: »
    Use them as fertiliser for the garden (anything above 50 simoleons will do). Also, if they're not foul, store a few in the fridge for food. Then sell the really expensive ones and the others you know you won't use.

@MDianaSims oh keeping them for fertilizer is a really good idea! Can they still make good fertiliser if they are foul?
  • Options
    ohmyohmyohmyohmy Posts: 614 Member
    Sell the extra fish
    I would sell it :)
  • Options
    cmbaker16cmbaker16 Posts: 9,172 Member
    Other
    I keep one of each for display to so my sim can "show off" their collection, with any extra's I'll keep them for cooking or fertilizer but also if I'm playing with a spellcastor some fish can be used as potion ingredients so I keep them for that.
  • Options
    KathykinsKathykins Posts: 1,883 Member
    Other
    I mount one of each and put on a wall in a collection room. Then I usually put some of the nicer looking ones in aquariums and sell the rest. Don't remember if fish go bad when they're in the fridge, but I rarely put them there anyway.
  • Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    edited September 2020
    Other
    I either sell, use them as fertilizer, cook/grill them, as bait for other fish, use some for potions or put some in an aquarium, really depends on the fish and how many I got.
    Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    RavenSpitRavenSpit Posts: 1,387 Member
    edited September 2020
    Other
    oops double post

Gallery ID: ra7orrat

• Options
    MDianaSimsMDianaSims Posts: 4,177 Member
    Other
    MDianaSims wrote: »

@MDianaSims oh keeping them for fertilizer is a really good idea! Can they still make good fertiliser if they are foul?

As far as I know freshness doesn't impact fertiliser strength. As long as it's worth 50 simoleons or more it's the best possible fertiliser.
    Gallery ID: MDianaSims | Simblr
  • Options
    DaepheneDaephene Posts: 1,760 Member
    Sell the extra fish
    I generally eat them if fresh or sell them if foul.
  • Options
    SERVERFRASERVERFRA Posts: 7,127 Member
    Other
    Eat the Fish
    Make Fish Plasma Juice
    Make Fish Mermaid Tails
    Make Fish Omega Vitamins
  • Options
    catmando830catmando830 Posts: 9,117 Member
    Sell the extra fish
    SERVERFRA wrote: »
    Eat the Fish
    Make Fish Plasma Juice
    Make Fish Mermaid Tails
    Make Fish Omega Vitamins

Our Sims can make vitamins out of the fish?
  • Options
    SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    Sell the extra fish
    I would sell the extras.
  • Options
    stilljustme2stilljustme2 Posts: 25,082 Member
    Sell the extra fish
    Never thought about using them for fertilizer.

I think with mounted fish you can enable a focused emotional aura, so if you have a room where your Sim does a lot of programming or plays chess, put a couple of the mounted ones in there as Sims with Focused moodlets gain skills like Programming and Logic faster. And you might want to hang on to the Angelfish since I think that (along with Death Flowers) makes Ambrosia if you have a Sim you want to bring back to life.
    Check out my Gallery! Origin ID: justme22
    Fun must be always -- Tomas Hertl (San Jose Sharks hockey player)
  • Options
    AnnLee87AnnLee87 Posts: 2,475 Member
    Other
    Sell expensive fish that are not eaten. It is a waste to use fish over 30-50 simoleons for fertilizer. Small fish under 30 simoleons don't do much for fertilizer. They can be used but may only move the evolve bar a little.
  • Options
    Karababy52Karababy52 Posts: 5,952 Member
    edited September 2020
    Sell the extra fish
    I sell any extras when working on completing the fish collection, with a few exceptions. If my Sim is a vampire, I'll convert them to plasma packs for any fish worth under 50 simoleans, sell any worth more than that. Even if they're not a vampire, but have increased the vampire skill to the correct level, I'll convert lower priced fish to plasma packs and then sell them. Plasma packs are worth 50 simoleans each so it just makes sense.

Sometimes I'll store fish in aquariums for aesthetics or meal purposes if they're still in 'Good' or 'Excellent' freshness states. I don't store them in a refrigerator for meals though because they'll degrade in freshness unlike an aquarium. Very, very rarely do I keep Angelfish to make ambrosia, but that's a good suggestion.

If my Sim has a retail store, they will be mounted after freshly caught and sold there later. Sims using a yard sale table as their sole source of income store them in the yard sale table, it acts like a refrigerator. Customers don't care about the freshness quality of fish on a yard sale table, they'll buy them even if foul. However, customers will complain about the smell so unless I'm selling them very soon, I'll store them in aquariums (if they can afford them) until sold.

Lastly, I don't use fish for fertilizer anymore, it's too much effort when I can just use Roses or any other plants worth around 20-50 simoleans immediately available from those my Sims have grown. If you just want to get rid of extra fish though, it's a good option to use them for fertilizer. Keep in mind though that it's now a one fish to one plant ratio. You can queue up more than one plant with one fish, but only the first plant will actually be fertilized, the others won't.

So, it doesn't make sense to fertilize one lower priced plant with an expensive fish, especially one worth over 50 simoleans which is the maximum fertilizer value. Anything above that just gives the same benefits as a fish (or plant) worth 50 simoleans. It doesn't increase as one might think. At least according to Carl on his website, and I trust him to know since he tested it. I wish we could still fertilize multiple plants with one fish. I would use sturgeon all the time back in the day and one sturgeon could fertilize up to 7 plants if I paused and queued them up beforehand. :| *sigh*

Anyway, hope this is helpful!

Happy Simming! <3

@stilljustme2 BTW, thanks so much for the info about mounted fish giving off a focused moodlet, somehow I didn't know that! o.O
  • Options
    SimmingalSimmingal Posts: 8,960 Member
    Sell the extra fish
    sell or if still edible eat the extra fish
    ⭐️ AHQ Champion 🦇 Vlad Advocate 🐉 Team Dragons
    🏡 Gallery 📖 Stories 🌍 World Project 🥔 MOD/CC Free
  • Options
    ArcherDKArcherDK Posts: 1,130 Member
    Sell the extra fish
    Sell or convert it to plasma bags if you are playing with vampires.
    GaBDvM2.jpg
    Click the banner to follow the link.
  • Options
    MonaveilMonaveil Posts: 652 Member
    I keep 3 Angel Fish in an aquarium in case I ever need to have a Sim make ambrosia. All fish worth $49 or less get turned into plasma packs which are sold for $50. Fish worth $50 or more are usually sold.
  • Options
    x4m1r4x4m1r4 Posts: 3,901 Member
    Sell the extra fish
    I normally will sell them, if only the value is less than the one that I've mounted. If not, If the value & the size are higher than the mounted fish, I'll sell the old mounted fish & mounted the new fish which will give me a better value. So, I'll sell any extra fish, unless you want to keep them in a fridge and use for cooking later on.
    OID:- x4m1r4
  • Options
    HoveraelHoverael Posts: 1,230 Member
    Other
    Sell, put into a fish tank or two, use as a fertiliser or leave until foul and add as a nasty present when in comes to opening presents in a household during winterfest.