The latest update for The Sims 4 is now live. Click here to read the latest notes.
Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Recently gone back to sims 3...

AnnaLoo91AnnaLoo91 Posts: 63 Member
And asking myself every second why in the world I ever left it. :D

When I was playing Sims 3, I hadn't collected all the packs (at least not the little ones), and I have to say I probably didn't even do half of the stuff available in this game. When Sims 4 came out I just jumped to it, not realizing at all that it was going to be so...different. But with my new laptop, it's so easy to play Sims 3 on the highest settings, and now that it's not lagging, I'm seeing how (to me) that this game is so much better. Open Worlds, real personality, almost endless customization, so much stuff to do and explore, I feel like it's a game I can play for hours and not get bored. Don't get me wrong, I'm totally attached to my Sims 4 characters and the story I've made for them, but I'm currently only playing with one sim in sims 3 and it's so much fun, and I feel like I have so much stuff to do. It's almost overwhelming, but in a really good way. I don't even need mods, they're just minor enhancements.

I wonder, is there anyone else recently coming back to sims 3 and are loving it?
PromSig.png
Zest Family Spawn: Promise Zest.

Comments

• Nikkei_SimmerNikkei_Simmer Posts: 9,425 Member
    Welcome back, @AnnaLoo91 - There have been a few people coming back to Sims 3. Most of us here haven't left Sims 3. I started playing Sims 3 in 2017 and have never stopped playing Sims 3.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
    Always "River McIrish" ...and maybe some Bebe Hart. ~innocent expression~
  • CororonCororon Posts: 4,276 Member
    Yay, welcome back to Sims 3!

Some mods are more than minor enhancements. Like the NRaas Overwatch and ErrorTrap. They will take care of some bugs in the game that could cause lag over time, fix stuck sims and more. :smile:
    cUrfGkA.gif
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
  • carlystur03carlystur03 Posts: 435 Member
    Don't forget Nraas's Traveler mod, too! It's a big help with World Adventures, Uni, and Into The Future!
  • xsagebabexsagebabe Posts: 1 New Member
    i literally came back to sims 3 a few days ago and i'm loving it
  • ZeeGeeZeeGee Posts: 5,356 Member
    @AnnaLoo91 There have been quite a few posts here lately by simmers coming back to Sims 3. Welcome back!
  • AnnaLoo91AnnaLoo91 Posts: 63 Member
    Thanks for the warm welcome back guys! And yes, that's true, there are some mods like those that make the game much better when it comes to lag. So there is that. Other than that, I'd say those are the only mods I'd highly recommend for anyone. All others are just fun enhancements, which is what I believe is how it should be. <3
    PromSig.png
    Zest Family Spawn: Promise Zest.
  • SweetieWright_84SweetieWright_84 Posts: 4,127 Member
    I spent nearly the whole weekend playing TS3. I haven't played this game the much in years. I'm playing the Goth family, which is something I never did in the past, and rarely do in the present because I've never gotten attached to premades. TS3 was my first Sims game so it's nice to be back to my roots. I don't know how long I'll play it before I go back to TS4, but I'm enjoying the change of scenery while I'm there.
    Gallery ID: SweetieWright_84--Save File Thread--Youtube Channel
  • sketchessketches Posts: 274 Member
    edited September 2020
    Yes! I've recently re-installed most of my Sims 3 expansions (I don't even have all of them) and I couldn't be happier.

I had completely forgotten about the Opportunities tab — which is AWESOME and adds infinite depth — and the gamified loading screens. Those are fun! It only takes my 2015 laptop a couple minutes or less to load, though. I thought it would take a lot longer. Guess technology is just better these days. :)

I missed cars, horses, bikes, and the fact that if you spam the same interaction with a Sim, the Sim gets bored. It's harder to level up relationships than it is in The Sims 4. Gameplay is REWARDING! Lifetime aspirations are actually challenging and they mean something.

I missed Champs Les Sims and nectar; exploring countless tombs and learning cultural songs; and martial arts!! (Selvadorada in TS4 doesn't even compare!)

I missed the huge cities. I missed all the extra venues (and combined venues) like the Movie Theater, Day Spa and Restaurants. (I don't have Dine Out or Movie Hangout Stuff, by the way, so I never got to experience eating at restaurants in The Sims 4 — nor "movies." I do have Spa Day in TS4, though, and now thinking about it, I'm bummed it just didn't come in base game.)

I have barely done much in Build/Buy besides upgrade my pre-furnished house furnishings and change the colors/patterns around. Gosh, it's just amazing. The most gameplay I have in The Sims 4 is build/buy. But not in The Sims 3. I can play my Sim for hours on end.

At the end of the day, it feels like I've really gone to "France," explored pyramids in "Egypt," and befriended a unicorn by the local waterfall, biked around town, and have a fulfilling job — haha.

Again, I didn't even install all my expansion packs yet, and I'm gradually working up to them all — as I re-learn The Sims 3 interface and gameplay — but soon, I will re-install the rest that I own. Also, I've only started this with one Sim, to test the waters, before I move on to 2 Sims and a Sim family. (And pets!)

I am so glad I didn't pay EA for many of The Sims 4 packs. I've probably put in less money into The Sims 3 and resulted in infinitely more fulfilling gameplay. :)
    Origin ID: sketchur
    Sims 3 MyPage: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/sketches

#FixThePersonalities
    Welcome back, @sketches; glad you're having so much fun again. It's a great game when you can get it stable and not prone to Error 12s.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited September 2020
    I can't play the game right now until I buy a new gaming laptop since my old one died, so it's really nice to read about all the wonder and fun people are experiencing playing TS3 for the first time or after a long break.

So glad you're all enjoying it! And welcome to this forum! 🥳

• SharoniaSharonia Posts: 4,853 Member
    I’ve returned to the Sims 3 as well. I really didn’t get to play it much when it was the current game as my computer hated it so it actually feels like a whole new game for me. I’m only playing the base game currently even though I do have a few packs I can install. I want to experience everything slow and get used to the game one pack at a time.

Is it just me or does the base game of TS3 have more fun stuff to do than the entire collection of TS4? I’m kept busy in the game all the time where as in TS4 I would just leave my sims to their business and play on my iPad. I’m not bashing TS4 mind you. I love the game. It’s just I don’t seem to feel as involved in it as I do when playing TS3.
  • MikezumiMikezumi Posts: 49,697 Member
    @Sharonia I can't speak for TS4 since I have never tried it but I remember being able to amuse myself for hours on end each day on just the base game with TS3.
  • izecsonizecson Posts: 2,875 Member
    I left the sims 3 back then because of the lag and clearly it was because of my old computer, I remembered i never quit sims 3 when i want to stop playing, i just alt tabbed out put my computer to sleep and then resume from where i left off (i cant handle 20+ minutes loading screen).

Just reinstalled the game weeks ago and having a blast collecting small pets like birds and turtles, installed this game on nvme m2 ssd and my loading time only 10 secs when loading save, 30 secs when initial game loading. performance wise still decent for a dx9 only game.
    ihavemultiplegamertags
    edited September 2020
    @ClarionOfJoy - I'm stomaching the Error12s and playing off a Asus Vivobook. ;) I need my Sims 3 fix or I turn into...
    0*LXaqE2Jb1EcxmSgO.jpg
    My load time may be counted in tens of minutes; but hell with it. I still get on and I still get to play.
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    @ClarionOfJoy - I'm stomaching the Error12s and playing off a Asus Vivobook. ;) I need my Sims 3 fix or I turn into...
    0*LXaqE2Jb1EcxmSgO.jpg
    My load time may be counted in tens of minutes; but hell with it. I still get on and I still get to play.

My old computer took 10 to 20 minutes depending on if I loaded mods - faster when I moved the game to an SSD (and can load ALL the packs to play!), if you're not ready to buy a new computer, that's an option to consider. Also, I read that using "Save As" to save the game will help to avoid errors. I never got an Error 12, so I think that advice works!

• SilvakristiinaSilvakristiina Posts: 444 Member
    Yeyy, welcome back you all <3 Some of us never left... ;)
  • BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    Sharonia wrote: »
    I’ve returned to the Sims 3 as well. I really didn’t get to play it much when it was the current game as my computer hated it so it actually feels like a whole new game for me. I’m only playing the base game currently even though I do have a few packs I can install. I want to experience everything slow and get used to the game one pack at a time.

Is it just me or does the base game of TS3 have more fun stuff to do than the entire collection of TS4? I’m kept busy in the game all the time where as in TS4 I would just leave my sims to their business and play on my iPad. I’m not bashing TS4 mind you. I love the game. It’s just I don’t seem to feel as involved in it as I do when playing TS3.

@Sharonia ... What is this TS4 thing you keep talking about?
    Are you saying EA came out with a game after Sims 3?

Why the heck did they do that ...
    I've been playing Sims 3 for a decade and still discovering new things ... :p

Happy Simming!

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • DottyKCDottyKC Posts: 19 Member
    I love TS3, and it's WAY cheaper for the content you get, compared to TS4, but I did really try to get into TS4 for a week or 2 and just never got hooked. My sim spent all her time at her house because the community lots just seemed kind of lame compared to wandering around sunset valley, and the loading screens between locations were annoying. I also tried to build a new lot or two, and THAT was a mistake. It felt so limited! I did love the height adjustment options, but it just wasn't worth giving up that color wheel!
  • DottyKCDottyKC Posts: 19 Member
    Oh, and even creating my sim was more difficult. I got stuck with bug eyes and a mismatched bikini!
    edited September 2020
    BlackSand wrote: »
    Sharonia wrote: »

@Sharonia ... What is this TS4 thing you keep talking about?
    Are you saying EA came out with a game after Sims 3?

Why the heck did they do that ...
    I've been playing Sims 3 for a decade and still discovering new things ... :p

Happy Simming!

@BlackSand - I know...there's a whole passel of people who talk about this TS4 thing...never seen it; never heard of it...I mean it's not like my TS3 launcher has any TS4 advertisements when I go to load up my much-loved TS3 game.

What is this TS4 thing? Has anyone heard of it? :p:mrgreen:
    GYZ6Ak9.png
  • BlackSandBlackSand Posts: 2,074 Member
    @BlackSand - I know...there's a whole passel of people who talk about this TS4 thing...never seen it; never heard of it...I mean it's not like my TS3 launcher has any TS4 advertisements when I go to load up my much-loved TS3 game.

What is this TS4 thing? Has anyone heard of it? :p:mrgreen:

Oh ... That's what that is on the Launcher?
    I thought that was just some kind of cheap knock-off Disney World garbage, and never paid it much attention ... B)

Happy Simming!

I eat pickles on my hamburgers ... MWWAHAHAHAHA
  • DuendeDuende Posts: 175 Member
    I returned last week to playing TS3 and feel the same way. It's by far the superior game.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    I still really like sims 3 and it has a lot sims 4 doesn't have but I still can't get in to it the way I can sims 4
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • sketchessketches Posts: 274 Member
    Welcome back, @sketches; glad you're having so much fun again. It's a great game when you can get it stable and not prone to Error 12s.

I haven't encountered Error 12 yet. Or any error, for that matter. Yay. :) Should I be saving my game often, in case?
    Origin ID: sketchur
    Sims 3 MyPage: https://mypage.thesims3.com/mypage/sketches

#FixThePersonalities