Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why so much hate for the star wars game pack

Comments

• ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member
    edited September 2020
    crocobaura wrote: »
    Scobre wrote: »

Nah. The Star Wars pack is the first pack (expansion or stuff or whatever you want to call it) that introduced having all the gameplay be about a brand.
    The stuff packs don't count since they are about owning stuff but don't feature gameplay.
    To make you understand this better it would be like "instead getting Open for business in the Sims 2, we got a "The Sims 2 open your own IKEA" pack for 20$". That would be a pack with only gameplay about IKEA.
    The Sims Superstar you mentioned just featured celebrities from real life but it was just a small feature and it wasn't about just them. It's pretty much the equivalent of get famous that featured some actual famous people.
    It's frustrating but it was not branded gameplay
    I mean Katy Perry pack was $20, so it was a brand without gameplay. Does kind of hurt that Sims 4 Gamepacks do cost the same as Sims 3 Stuff packs did. But yeah I get it just based on the name of the pack alone, Sims 4 Star Wars was the first GP that was branded with a name. Strangerville was heavily influenced to Stranger Things brand, just wasn't called it that way despite the story being heavily Stranger Things with the gameplay. Supernatural had heavy gameplay influence with Twilight brand. I guess it depends on the perspective.

The gameplay value of game packs is hardly clear. The argument you’re making is that for $20 these packs are better because you get gameplay, but there’s no standard set for what that entails. In Sims 3 you knew $20 would get you a decent chunk of new objects (which had more polygons and a better texture framework) and it was as simple as that. Style was also a non-issue since most items can be recolored.

In Sims 4 that $20 gets you a game pack but the gameplay that’s intended to of value isn’t well defined. Dine Out is $20 and it’s main value is an interactive venue type that you can own and operate, or just visit as a patron. It’s open ended and integrates well into many different types of situations. Now look at Strangerville or Batuu; for $20 the value is literally the quests/the story. I would not consider either one open ended, neither one integrates into any situation other than the story you follow. Forget Sims 3 stuff packs, focus on Sims 4. Are the one-n-done game packs really on equal footing as the more open ended ones? Hate on SP for not having gameplay prior to it being the standard, but at least when it was just stuff there was a standard to reach. A baseline of value for the price.
    Monetary wise yes you get more gameplay with $20 with the Sims 4 over the Sims 3. Whether it is World packs, Store bundles, or Stuff packs. I do think it is something to consider. So yes I rather have more gameplay over more "stuff" and decoration. How I have felt since the Sims 1 and wish they had never introduced stuff packs. Microtransactions have been encouraged since the Sims 2 days and got a lot worst during the Sims 3 days. So yes I would rather just have expansion packs sold and patches instead of content being sliced throughout several packs. But yes it will get grindy playing only one storyline with one Sim regardless of the story. Why I enjoy family play more and supernatural style just adds a bit more flair in gameplay for me too.

Actually, for the same price of a TS4 GP, $20, you can get a whole TS3 EP now with tons of working gameplay, so that's a better value. Everything else for TS3 such as the SPs and Sims 3 Store is just optional. I knew that I didn't need to buy anything of those but I really love what EAxis did and bought nearly everything as my way of showing gratitude for and appreciation of their fine work! 🥰

Whereas, with TS4 GPs, a lot of the gameplay is buggy, doesn't even work at all or is even recycled like in the Star Wars pack. Not as much value really.

I really hope TS5 returns to the formula of what made TS1, TS2 and TS3 great. If TS5 is great that way, then I guarantee that I'll throw all my money at EA and buy everything in that iteration!

I wouldn't say the store was optional when they gave only rabbit holes in the game and all open venues were in the store.

If you didn't want to buy any Sims 3 Store stuff like the bakery, you could still use mods and cc's. I used ani's mods to sell baked goods my sims made from icemunmun's baked desserts collection for example. And there's also a lot of great functional cc. I love Sandy's Around the Sims 3 website. She has so many great things! Here's one of her food shops:

So yeah. You just have to know what's available to you and work with that. For me, that came from not having much when I was growing up. But the library is free and I learned to craft and make my own toys. It's the same thing with anything else including these games. So if you can't set something up because it's only at the store and you can't afford it, there are so many other options instead.

I’m not talking about Sims 3 that game has been dead for 6 years.

Except that this game seems to be more alive than ever...

I‘ve seen a growth in sims 3 threads in the past couple of months, including some in which folks are asking which expansions they should consider buying, because they’re fed up with TS4. Newer machines can run the game better now, so there are fewer reasons not to start expanding again.
    Perhaps it’s not a significant number, but I believe sales for TS3 may have gone up a wee bit this year. Maybe just enough not to call it ‘dead’.

People want to buy TS3 because it's cheaper than TS4 and it's still available.

@crocobaura Which they wouldn't do if they disliked the game. They would just stick with the Sims 4. Also the Sims 4 in my experience is much cheaper due to the sales.
    The Sims 3 and its EPs are still really expensive on Origin and moderate on Steam. The only cheap options are second hand.

We don't know who buys TS3 these days, just because it's still available to buy, doesn't mean that people are rushing out to buy it. There are a few people who are very vocal and praise the game to high heaven, but they have played it from the beginning and have customized it to their liking with mods. Maybe people who buy TS3 buy it because they think it will be easier to play on an older computer than TS4. I wouldn't assume that people who started playing TS4 have suddenly decided to buy TS3 as well, especially as you pointed out, both games are quite expensive.

I find that the people who are buying TS3 or trying it again now are people who have newer computers with faster CPUs and SSDs because they're hearing it works better on those machines.

• crocobauracrocobaura Posts: 7,342 Member

Nah. The Star Wars pack is the first pack (expansion or stuff or whatever you want to call it) that introduced having all the gameplay be about a brand.
    The stuff packs don't count since they are about owning stuff but don't feature gameplay.
    To make you understand this better it would be like "instead getting Open for business in the Sims 2, we got a "The Sims 2 open your own IKEA" pack for 20$". That would be a pack with only gameplay about IKEA.
    The Sims Superstar you mentioned just featured celebrities from real life but it was just a small feature and it wasn't about just them. It's pretty much the equivalent of get famous that featured some actual famous people.
    I mean Katy Perry pack was $20, so it was a brand without gameplay. Does kind of hurt that Sims 4 Gamepacks do cost the same as Sims 3 Stuff packs did. But yeah I get it just based on the name of the pack alone, Sims 4 Star Wars was the first GP that was branded with a name. Strangerville was heavily influenced to Stranger Things brand, just wasn't called it that way despite the story being heavily Stranger Things with the gameplay. Supernatural had heavy gameplay influence with Twilight brand. I guess it depends on the perspective.

The gameplay value of game packs is hardly clear. The argument you’re making is that for $20 these packs are better because you get gameplay, but there’s no standard set for what that entails. In Sims 3 you knew $20 would get you a decent chunk of new objects (which had more polygons and a better texture framework) and it was as simple as that. Style was also a non-issue since most items can be recolored.

In Sims 4 that $20 gets you a game pack but the gameplay that’s intended to of value isn’t well defined. Dine Out is $20 and it’s main value is an interactive venue type that you can own and operate, or just visit as a patron. It’s open ended and integrates well into many different types of situations. Now look at Strangerville or Batuu; for $20 the value is literally the quests/the story. I would not consider either one open ended, neither one integrates into any situation other than the story you follow. Forget Sims 3 stuff packs, focus on Sims 4. Are the one-n-done game packs really on equal footing as the more open ended ones? Hate on SP for not having gameplay prior to it being the standard, but at least when it was just stuff there was a standard to reach. A baseline of value for the price.
    Monetary wise yes you get more gameplay with $20 with the Sims 4 over the Sims 3. Whether it is World packs, Store bundles, or Stuff packs. I do think it is something to consider. So yes I rather have more gameplay over more "stuff" and decoration. How I have felt since the Sims 1 and wish they had never introduced stuff packs. Microtransactions have been encouraged since the Sims 2 days and got a lot worst during the Sims 3 days. So yes I would rather just have expansion packs sold and patches instead of content being sliced throughout several packs. But yes it will get grindy playing only one storyline with one Sim regardless of the story. Why I enjoy family play more and supernatural style just adds a bit more flair in gameplay for me too.

Actually, for the same price of a TS4 GP, $20, you can get a whole TS3 EP now with tons of working gameplay, so that's a better value. Everything else for TS3 such as the SPs and Sims 3 Store is just optional. I knew that I didn't need to buy anything of those but I really love what EAxis did and bought nearly everything as my way of showing gratitude for and appreciation of their fine work! 🥰

Whereas, with TS4 GPs, a lot of the gameplay is buggy, doesn't even work at all or is even recycled like in the Star Wars pack. Not as much value really.

I really hope TS5 returns to the formula of what made TS1, TS2 and TS3 great. If TS5 is great that way, then I guarantee that I'll throw all my money at EA and buy everything in that iteration!

I wouldn't say the store was optional when they gave only rabbit holes in the game and all open venues were in the store.

If you didn't want to buy any Sims 3 Store stuff like the bakery, you could still use mods and cc's. I used ani's mods to sell baked goods my sims made from icemunmun's baked desserts collection for example. And there's also a lot of great functional cc. I love Sandy's Around the Sims 3 website. She has so many great things! Here's one of her food shops:

So yeah. You just have to know what's available to you and work with that. For me, that came from not having much when I was growing up. But the library is free and I learned to craft and make my own toys. It's the same thing with anything else including these games. So if you can't set something up because it's only at the store and you can't afford it, there are so many other options instead.

Not everyone has the time or disposition to hunt around the internet for mods and keep them updated.
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member

Not everyone has the time or disposition to hunt around the internet for mods and keep them updated.

@crocobaura Which is exactly my problem with the Sims 4.
    Where's my Sims 5 squad at?
  • drake_mccartydrake_mccarty Posts: 6,114 Member

I‘ve seen a growth in sims 3 threads in the past couple of months, including some in which folks are asking which expansions they should consider buying, because they’re fed up with TS4. Newer machines can run the game better now, so there are fewer reasons not to start expanding again.
    Perhaps it’s not a significant number, but I believe sales for TS3 may have gone up a wee bit this year. Maybe just enough not to call it ‘dead’.

Development of store content ended in 2014, and there hasn’t been a single update since Jan 2016. It’s dead.
    There is an update planned for the Sims 3 to make it 64-Bit (like the one for the Sims 4 we got recently). It was meant to come out early this year but it was probably delayed due to the pandemic.
    If the team is planning updates like these then I guess the game isn't really dead.
    edited September 2020
    There is an update planned for the Sims 3 to make it 64-Bit (like the one for the Sims 4 we got recently). It was meant to come out early this year but it was probably delayed due to the pandemic.
    If the team is planning updates like these then I guess the game isn't really dead.

Are you talking about the update for Sims 3 on Mac? I was not aware that extended to the PC game. I’ve only read it’s for macOS since the latest OS doesn’t support 32bit apps.

ETA: After some googling and a brief skim of AHQ I’m unable to find anything that says the PC game is getting a 64bit update. The macOS version of Sims 3 is getting an update so it’s compatible with macOS Catalina and metal. So aside from this compatibility update (exclusive to Mac afaik) the game is still dead.
    edited September 2020

Are you talking about the update for Sims 3 on Mac? I was not aware that extended to the PC game. I’ve only read it’s for macOS since the latest OS doesn’t support 32bit apps.

ETA: After some googling and a brief skim of AHQ I’m unable to find anything that says the PC game is getting a 64bit update. The macOS version of Sims 3 is getting an update so it’s compatible with macOS Catalina and metal. So aside from this compatibility update (exclusive to Mac afaik) the game is still dead.

Yes, that's what I mean. I guess if they are willing to update an 11 year old game for modern systems that dropped support for it there might be something behind it. EA wouldn't just do this if people weren't complaining about not being able to play on their Macs. Someone must be buying.
  • ZhakiraPZhakiraP Posts: 1,439 Member

What exactly is your definition of a dead game?
    Is it dead when there are no more updates, no matter if it´s still out there frying graphic cards?

Dead to whom? :|

(And no I am not trying to be confrontational, I am simply curious).

53218870167_a5d450f1db_h.jpg
  • CK213CK213 Posts: 20,525 Member
    ZhakiraP wrote: »

Is it dead when there are no more updates, no matter if it´s still out there frying graphic cards?

It's not dead to EA.
    It's still making money for them. :)
    The%20Goths.png?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds
  • CAPTAIN_NXR7CAPTAIN_NXR7 Posts: 4,451 Member
    edited September 2020
    No matter how much one wants to twist it and turn it, Sims 3 ain’t dead.
    Dead’s like Buffalo Skull in the Desert dead. And that game isn’t. 💰💀💰
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    TS3 may be "dead" by a development stand point, as in they are no longer updating or adding new content. But as far as the simming community goes, it is definitely not dead. Modders and CC creators are still actively cranking out new things, it's still being posted about here on the TS3 forums, twitter, Reddit, etc. I've read several people mention recently about buying from the TS3 store.
  • comicsforlifecomicsforlife Posts: 9,585 Member
    ts3 isn't dead ts2 kind of is because they don't sell it anymore but it wouldn't be if they sell it again there all good games
    more for sim kids and more drama please
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited September 2020

Actually, even with an update the game is still dead if looked at productivity wise, if there was any plans to add an EP or SP then I would agree with you on it still being alive. If this update do go live all they doing is bringing it up to date, after the update there is no plans to add anything further to the game. Update: It appears the rumors to update Sims 3 was false.
    Post edited by Goldmoldar on
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • GoldmoldarGoldmoldar Posts: 11,966 Member
    edited September 2020
    ts3 isn't dead ts2 kind of is because they don't sell it anymore but it wouldn't be if they sell it again there all good games

The productive life for Sims is over as there is no plans to expand Sims 3 beyond what it has now besides an update so on that part yes Sims 3 is dead but there are many games that still are being sold on the market just like Sims 3 their retail life is not over. So there is an difference in how you can say an program is dead. Using GOG as an example some of the games that was made in the eighties are enjoying retail life but not from an productive point of view and patches do not count.
    Omen by HP Intel®️ Core™️ i9- 12900K W/ RGB Liquid Cooler 32GB Nvidia RTX 3080 10Gb ASUS Ultra-Wide 34" Curved Monitor. Omen By HP Intel® Core™ i7-12800HX 32 GB Nvidia 3070 Ti 8 GB 17.3 Screen
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited September 2020

People want to buy TS3 because it's cheaper than TS4 and it's still available.
    It wasn't cheaper because of the Sims 3 Store. That alone was over $1,000. Actually will be interesting to see when the Sims 4 does exceed the Sims 3 base game and DLC and store. I've been keeping track, whole franchise is well over $4K, so I wouldn't call that a cheap hobby. Also I would recommend waiting for the $5 sales on Steam for the Sims 3.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    Yeah I wish they would sell Sims 1 and 2 games again. Sims 2 probably would be easier to do because they gave away the Sims 2 UC when the Sims 4 came out.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    edited September 2020

@crocobaura Which is exactly my problem with the Sims 4.

That's why I prefer TS3 because there is just so much stuff and game play for it that you have so many options for it whether you want to spend money buying packs or shop the Sims 3 store or getting similar stuff free through mods and CC. I really love TS3! 🥰❤😍

Also I agree with both sides. The devs aren't going to add new features or make improvements to TS3, but its community is still very much active, so it keeps receiving fresh new content and gameplay that way!

crocobaura Which is exactly my problem with the Sims 4.
    Probably how I found these sites:
    http://sims4updates.net/

https://sims4downloads.net/
  • EllupelluelluEllupelluellu Posts: 6,775 Member
    ON topic: I do not hate the star wars pack.

Currently this thread is way too off topic, it is comparison of the sims games. So here is mine:

I love my TS2, yes I use default replacements for hair, genetics, and clothing, also for terrains and water texture. I still love it and play daily and as UC is working like a charm now for me (thanks to a friend), I will play as long I can.

After I had a hiatus of simming, I heard TS3 had horses. I was so exited , I have horses IRL.

BUT, I cannot, not even for horses. because of the sims, the jello, budding.. and it needs mods to even run.

I know, "use CC and sliders" .. and "use this and that mod"...
    And the above is said by same people who say: "Game should not relate to mods" when talking at TS4.

I love my TS2, and everyone who says it is perfect at vanilla is wrong or nostalgia speaking.
    My love, my love, my fearless love, I will not say goodbye..
    Sea may rise, sky may fall, My love will never die..
    My heart, my heart, My drowning heart, Oh all the tears I've cried
    Oh I may weep forevermore, My love will never die..

My Story:Villa Catarina
    ON topic: I do not hate the star wars pack.

Currently this thread is way too off topic, it is comparison of the sims games. So here is mine:

I love my TS2, yes I use default replacements for hair, genetics, and clothing, also for terrains and water texture. I still love it and play daily and as UC is working like a charm now for me (thanks to a friend), I will play as long I can.

After I had a hiatus of simming, I heard TS3 had horses. I was so exited , I have horses IRL.

BUT, I cannot, not even for horses. because of the sims, the jello, budding.. and it needs mods to even run.

I know, "use CC and sliders" .. and "use this and that mod"...
    And the above is said by same people who say: "Game should not relate to mods" when talking at TS4.

I love my TS2, and everyone who says it is perfect at vanilla is wrong or nostalgia speaking.

You can use different default skins for TS3 just as with TS2 and TS4 too. How come people who don't like TS3 never mention that?

On topic: I don't think the Star Wars pack wouldn't have gotten so much hate if the devs first made and released packs that people have been requesting for a very long time. Things like farms and happy haunts, and fixes for bugs. The devs are clearly not in tune with the general mood of their customers - and that is disastrous as can be seen by the reaction to this game pack!

Also, I would have preferred if Star Wars was its own separate The Sim spin off game like The Sims 2 Stories were. Then it would have had so many better features and gameplay, it would have more gameplay than just fetch quests. Star Wars deserved better! I also feel that the devs didn't look far ahead enough to see if this was done well, that they could have turned this into its own Star Wars life sim series.

Smh, I'm just tired of their lack of vision and poor work on the franchise. 😔

A game that’s no longer receiving updates or development of any kind. People here LOVE to get super emotional when they hear something they don’t like. Sims 3 IS “dead” and that has absolutely nothing to do with someone’s ability to buy or play it. It’s not getting anymore content, it’s not getting any bug fixes, EA is making it compatible with the newest Apple OS so it doesn’t have to delist it and that’s all. Don’t expect them to go and fix any of the issues with the game, or even any of the issues exclusive to the Mac port.

So while the community might be very much alive and enjoying the game they are NEVER getting any other official content for it. Development is dead on it. For everyone who was crying about what I said here’s some more.
    CK213 wrote: »

It's not dead to EA.
    It's still making money for them. :)

That we can agree on :)

A game that’s no longer receiving updates or development of any kind. People here LOVE to get super emotional when they hear something they don’t like. Sims 3 IS “dead” and that has absolutely nothing to do with someone’s ability to buy or play it. It’s not getting anymore content, it’s not getting any bug fixes, EA is making it compatible with the newest Apple OS so it doesn’t have to delist it and that’s all. Don’t expect them to go and fix any of the issues with the game, or even any of the issues exclusive to the Mac port.

So while the community might be very much alive and enjoying the game they are NEVER getting any other official content for it. Development is dead on it. For everyone who was crying about what I said here’s some more.

If it makes you happy, keep on saying it.

It isn´t dead to me ;)

If it makes you happy, keep on saying it.

It isn´t dead to me ;)

Congrats I guess? I’m just pointing out the obvious. Sims 3 is my favorite game of them all but even I can separate my enjoyment of the game from the fact it hasn’t been touched in over 4 years. For some reason you keep trying to make it out like I’m speaking for you when all I’ve said is that development on the game is dead. Which is 100% factual.