Forum Announcement, Click Here to Read More From EA_Cade.

Why The Sims 4 was a downgrade (and why the Sims 5 might be better)

Hey guys,

So I guess most of you already know that the Sims 4 used to be called The Sims Olympus and was an online Sims game. After the release and failure of SimCity in 2013, which was also an online game, the team scrapped Olympus and half-made a game called the Sims 4 by 2014.
The fountation of the game never really changed since they didn't have time to redo the whole thing and this is how we ended up with the limitation and restriction of the Sims 4 (no, it was not the team trying to make the game more accesible to low end PCs and reduce lag, that's just an excuse they came up with later, to cover things up.

This is a great analysis video on this topic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epxTbdLxc7o

Personally I think the Sims 5 will be a better game because hopefully there will be no scrapping the game last minute and trying to develop somthing just to meet the deadline.
Even if the Sims 5 is an online game, I'm sure they have decided this for a long time and will stick with the idea. What destroyed the Sims 4 was that they changed things last minute and hopefully this won't happen with the Sims 5. One can only hope.

What do you guys think about the Sims Olympus?
Where's my Sims 5 squad at?

Comments

• SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    @simgirl1010 I just found this new video and wanted to share it without necroposting
    Also I really started to think that the Sims 5 might be better if it's development goes without issues that the Sims 4 had and wanted to mention that too since a lot of people have lost their faith in a good new Sims game.

At the end of the day only time will tell but this video kind of made me believe the next one will be better
  • bella_gothbella_goth Posts: 1,770 Member
    You probably weren't around in the Sims 4's early days when every other thread was about Olympus. :p

https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/803256/what-is-sims-olympus/p1

someone there said "Usually when I scrap something I start over, I don't try - as my grandmother liked to say - make a silk purse out of a pigs ear. EA should have started over with Sims 4."
    and i agree. ea had no need to rush the sims 4 launch. we could be enjoying a way better game now.

personally i hope ts5 doesn't share ts4 devs...
  • SimmerGeorgeSimmerGeorge Posts: 2,724 Member
    bellagoth_ wrote: »

Amen, me too. Those guys are really tone deaf sometimes.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    You probably weren't around in the Sims 4's early days when every other thread was about Olympus. :p

someone there said "Usually when I scrap something I start over, I don't try - as my grandmother liked to say - make a silk purse out of a pigs ear. EA should have started over with Sims 4."
    and i agree. ea had no need to rush the sims 4 launch. we could be enjoying a way better game now.

How do you mean? You want them to fire every TS4 employee?

i'm talking about the ones that are responsible for what the sims 4 ended up being like. some of them don't seem to care about the franchise at all, just for the money from the position they are. some of them pretty much look like they want to be working somewhere else.

how about ea hiring people that is in needing of a job as well and that could make it even better, who put not only their skills, but also the passion for what they're doing? choosing your right career is very important. money isn't everything in this world.
    plus, you have to earn your job, you can't expect a business to hire you for charity.
  • ClarionOfJoyClarionOfJoy Posts: 1,945 Member

i'm talking about the ones that are responsible for what the sims 4 ended up being like. some of them don't seem to care about the franchise at all, just for the money from the position they are. some of them pretty much look like they want to be working somewhere else.

how about ea hiring people that is in needing of a job as well and that could make it even better, who put not only their skills, but also the passion for what they're doing? choosing your right career is very important. money isn't everything in this world.
    plus, you have to earn your job, you can't expect a business to hire you for charity.

I agree. I think this is why the game is so buggy and features not implemented even though modders were able to figure out ways to do them. Hire people with the proper educational credentials.

• LoveMcQueen5683LoveMcQueen5683 Posts: 3,689 Member
    That’s what I hope too.

I hope their game engine is better this time around and can handle open world and Create a style without any of the issues that Sims 3 had.

I hope the base game doesn’t launch with missing features that are crucial for the game like toddlers, ghosts, pools, etc.

I hope the Sims have traits that actually make them unique and and that they actually react to the world around them and when important things happen (like getting cheated on right in front of you)

I hope that the emotion feature doesn’t return.

I hope for a lot but somehow I feel like that they’ll improve in a lot of areas that will make us happy but they’ll end up taking a big risk and ruining the game in another way like making it all online multiplayer or by making the gameplay so bare or so different than what the life simulation genre is suppose to be that it won’t even be the Sims anymore.
    LR3g0ni.jpg
  • ScobreScobre Posts: 20,665 Member
    edited September 2020

That would be Lucy and Rachel. They are no longer working for the game but they set up the base of the Sims 4 and its showtime direction. They are working on a VR Facebook program now. There was a whole video about it here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOiYMtwINXI
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    edited September 2020
    @SimmerGeorge Yes it was confirmed by a Guru I talked to about the Sims 4 being initially an online game. What was weird is that it wasn't supposed to be public knowledge for I don't know what reason. But yes SimCity 2013 happened which caused the Sims 4 to turn into an offline game last minute. I know the CEO of EA wants to try again with the Sims 5.

https://www.devdiscourse.com/article/entertainment/890611-the-sims-5-update-eas-ceo-andrew-wilson-on-single-player-multiplayer-components
    "As Maxis continues to think about The Sims for a new generation across platforms and a cloud-enabled world, you should imagine that while we will always stay true to our inspiration, escape, creation, self-improvement motivation, that this notion of social interaction and competition – like the kind of things that were actually present in The Sims Online many years ago – will start to become part of the ongoing The Sims experience in the years to come"

So why I don't have that much hope with the Sims 5. End of the day, top dog CEO decides the direction of the Sims franchise.
    More about the Sims Olympus:
    https://sims.fandom.com/wiki/The_Sims_Olympus

I remember seeing trailers about it.
    Fun video Iron Seagull did about it too:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYFmkKNc7DM

If the Sims 4 had ended up being an online game like that, I would not have played it. So if it goes that route again, I will not be continuing with the Sims 5 and will return to the franchise when it goes offline again. I did the whole Gaiaonline thing, that was enough and that site ended up being outdated because the expenses overweighed its worth and site is suffering over inflation issues now.
    “Although the world is full of suffering, it is full also of the overcoming of it.” –Helen Keller
    @Scobre hmm they work somewhere else, that's good news i guess lol. though, i was also referring to the devs that are taking the major decisions for the future of the game as of now, like the lady that gave us the apologize letter.
    anyways i don't like to say names because no one actually knows what is going on inside the department, but see the game and its flaws? the person who thought of sparkd? the reason for the marketing, for the high prices, for the lack of content, etc...?
    be it from ea or maxis, please don't allow them to take part in ts5.
  • AedanStarfangAedanStarfang Posts: 272 Member
    If the Sims 5 contains the same people in charge as the Sims 4 and continues making the same poor decisions, it will at least be as bad as the Sims 4.
  • Chicklet453681Chicklet453681 Posts: 2,431 Member
    While I don't think they'd be stupid enough to make TS5 totally online (as in multiplayer) I do think there will some form of multiplayer, which will again mean a limited engine so TS5 will be nothing more than Sims 4.5.
  • PlayerSinger2010PlayerSinger2010 Posts: 3,267 Member
    edited September 2020
    @Scobre hmm they work somewhere else, that's good news i guess lol. though, i was also referring to the devs that are taking the major decisions for the future of the game as of now, like the lady that gave us the apologize letter.
    anyways i don't like to say names because no one actually knows what is going on inside the department, but see the game and its flaws? the person who thought of sparkd? the reason for the marketing, for the high prices, for the lack of content, etc...?

So SimGuruLyndsay, who has been with the series since The Sims 1? Why on earth wouldn't you want a veteran like her to be on the team?
  • bookish_sammybookish_sammy Posts: 223 Member
    edited September 2020
    It's clear that EA doesn't understand what people like about this game. Why would I want other people in my game? It would restrict my freedom to build the world I want. There's already enough preventing me from doing that now. I remember The Sims Online. It was a game that I skipped because my internet connection was slow, and I didn't want to pay a monthly subscription fee. The idea of paying either a subscription fee or having to do micro transactions is something I will never support. Very few people want an online Sims game, so I hope EA is listening before it's too late to turn back. I want a Sims game with the level of detail of Hogwarts Legacy.

https://youtu.be/eJxDDZDgvaM

So SimGuruLyndsay, who has been with the series since The Sims 1? Why on earth wouldn't you want a veteran like her to be on the team?

i said "like" and i also said "i don't like to say names because no one actually knows what is going on inside the department, but see the game and its flaws? the person who thought of sparkd? the reason for the marketing, for the high prices, for the lack of content, etc...?
    be it from ea or maxis, please don't allow them to take part in ts5."

i don't know for sure if she's the most responsible person but if she happens to be, the "she was in sims 1" argument carries no weight, what i see NOW in the sims 4 is what matters.
    the sims 1 also had other amazing devs and the creator himself, so because one of the devs was also back then is no excuse.
  • SimsBroSimsBro Posts: 134 Member
    edited September 2020
    Honestly, this is something that always needs to be remembered. I know quite a lot of people still buy EA's nonsense excuse that we are missing features from older games because they wanted Sims 4 to run better and run on every computer possible, when in reality it is due to their own bad management and garbage decisions.

The reason we are stuck with the loathsome and utterly limited engine of TS4 is simply because they had to scrape whatever Olympus was and suddenly repurpose it into a "normal" Sims game while on a rushed deadline. Mind you certain features like Create a World and World Customization were already present in freaking TS2, a game that was already a DECADE old by the time 4 released, and certainly is not remembered for having many optimization issues like TS3 is. So yeah, don't tell me something like that, alongside non 2D mobile game tier World Screens are too much for a lot of computers to handle etc.

On the whole multiplayer thing, I'd actually enjoy if there was an OPTIONAL, co-op tier multiplayer, that is, being able to visit or be visited and play with a known friend and such.
  • netney52netney52 Posts: 1,214 Member
    I do think those who feel sims 4 is a downgrade will be disappointed with sims 5. If the rumours are true and it’s multi/online player plus with a lot of the community feeling the game has downgraded so much I’m worried a lot of simmers have set their sights too high. For me personally sims 3 was the best and sims 4 isn’t too bad it has its good and bad points and I prefer it over sims 1 and feel it gets a bit too much hate on here. However I appreciate everyone has their opinion and I do hope for those of you who want sims 5 it is everything you want but I’m not convinced it will and the same debates will be had about it as sims 4
  • flowersspringflowersspring Posts: 27 Member
    i just want the sims 5 to be fun. i don't want to get bored after 10 minutes of playing. i don't want to spend so much time complaining about what we don't have or speculating about a new pack only a week after the last one was released. i want the base game to already be a lot of fun so i don't even care how long it takes for them to release an expansion.
  • GrynnGrynn Posts: 260 Member
    edited September 2020
    Scobre wrote: »

That would be Lucy and Rachel. They are no longer working for the game but they set up the base of the Sims 4 and its showtime direction. They are working on a VR Facebook program now. There was a whole video about it here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOiYMtwINXI

I don't think it was just them, just look at this interview from last year:

https://www.digitalspy.com/tech/a30265434/sims-4-expansion-packs-2020/

Yup, we all know how that went...

We have devs who constantly complain about working on "obvious stuff" and find it annoying that fans "keep demanding the same old stuff", that interview wasn't even the first time we heard devs use the term "lighthouse themes", they have been doing that for a while and it's became apparent that people at Maxis actively dislike working on certain things and they'd rather be working on what THEY want personally instead.

Thing is, The Sims is a SIMULATION game and the reason why certain things are asked for so often is because they are part of what this game is trying to Simulate, LIFE. Even if there's supernatural elements those elements were always supposed to be in addition to the core of the gameplay and not the focus.

It's pretty clear that Maxis does not want to give what fans ask for intentionally, instead they think the best course of action is to "subvert expectations" and "surprise fans", the lack of communication about future packs is completely intentional, Maxis thinks surprising fans is the best way to go, even though time and time again has proven that only leads to disappointment because it leads to people speculating about certain stuff and it's just impossible to appease everyone.

The SIms 4's devs do not like The Sims, they think everyday stuff is boring and people want to play Star Wars instead, they don't even believe in the game, they don't think a life simulation could be financially succesful even though we had 3 previous The Sims games which were huge hits, in fact, breaking sales records. By instance, when Laundry Day was chosen by the community we had devs go out of their way to criticize the community's choice and state that they "had no idea why people would want such a pack".

It's clear that a lot of people there don't even want to work on The Sims, they'd rather be developing something else and it shows.

So yes, the entire The Sims 4 team NEEDS to go, I don't say fire them, but move them to other departments, let them work on other titles, and hire people who actually like the game instead.

i said "like" and i also said "i don't like to say names because no one actually knows what is going on inside the department, but see the game and its flaws? the person who thought of sparkd? the reason for the marketing, for the high prices, for the lack of content, etc...?

i don't know for sure if she's the most responsible person but if she happens to be, the "she was in sims 1" argument carries no weight, what i see NOW in the sims 4 is what matters.
    the sims 1 also had other amazing devs and the creator himself, so because one of the devs was also back then is no excuse.
    Person who is running Spark'd was actually a Simmer like you and I who built many of the challenges that Simmers play today HollieBB. So yes in they did ask a Sims fan for feedback about the show. Fans hold more responsibility for the Sims' future than I think they give themselves credit for. This year proves that feedback was met, just wasn't delivered in the same way probably imagined in someone's brain.
    Scobre wrote: »

Person who is running Spark'd was actually a Simmer like you and I who built many of the challenges that Simmers play today HollieBB. So yes in they did ask a Sims fan for feedback about the show. Fans hold more responsibility for the Sims' future than I think they give themselves credit for. This year proves that feedback was met, just wasn't delivered in the same way probably imagined in someone's brain.

what?
    the only feedback met was skintones and because of the whole black lives matter movement, let's be honest here. and all those apologize letters by devs were done due to the amount of backlash from the latest packs.

it doesn't matter if it was a fan who had the sparkd idea, it's not what the game needs right now. devs should know the sims priorities, and i can assure you that a fake dramatic tv show was not needed at all.
    there's a thing called popular requests, which are a thing because they're features that were previously made in past sims games and because they're basic content to have in a life simulator videogame. sparkd show is not a basic content for a life simulator. making such show is basically making a circus out of the game, especially as poorly done as it was.
    besides, it did not need to spare so much money in such a meaningless way, especially when devs sometimes complain about the lack of budget.

though, i don't understand what you meant with your comment? my point still stands. we don't know for sure who makes these decisions inside the department but whoever they are i'm just begging for them to not take part in the sims 5, be it ea, maxis, a fan, or the president, unless it's a professional developer just please stay out of the sims 5 development PLEASE. allow us to have another amazing sims game.
    edited September 2020
    what?
    the only feedback met was skintones and because of the whole black lives matter movement, let's be honest here. and all those apologize letters by devs were done due to the amount of backlash from the latest packs.

it doesn't matter if it was a fan who had the sparkd idea, it's not what the game needs right now. devs should know the sims priorities, and i can assure you that a fake dramatic tv show was not needed at all.
    there's a thing called popular requests, which are a thing because they're features that were previously made in past sims games and because they're basic content to have in a life simulator videogame. sparkd show is not a basic content for a life simulator. making such show is basically making a circus out of the game, especially as poorly done as it was.
    besides, it did not need to spare so much money in such a meaningless way, especially when devs sometimes complain about the lack of budget.

though, i don't understand what you meant with your comment? my point still stands. we don't know for sure who makes these decisions inside the department but whoever they are i'm just begging for them to not take part in the sims 5, be it ea, maxis, a fan, or the president, unless it's a professional developer just please stay out of the sims 5 development PLEASE. allow us to have another amazing sims game.
    Toddler feedback and basement and pool and ghost feedback was met too. We got firefighters this year too and some other NPC. We got terrain tool too.

Anyways in the middle of writing this:
    There is a lot of misinformation spread about this pack:
    Only made for younger Simmers, clearly it wasn't as shown with this forum poll.
    "https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/comment/17635106"

For those that said no one asked for it, they did ask for a more modern and trendy take on the middle east which they did with the Star Wars pack and this idea was supported by many against the very idea they supported here:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/965492/i-think-muslim-inspired-clothing-was-either-made-or-introduced-wrong/
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discussion/965570/my-take-on-the-whole-muslim-inspired-clothing-thing/

On forums some did ask for a Star Wars expansion pack back in 2015 too.

We also had community surveys and two community stuff packs so far too. One of the surveys done was what brands would we like represented in the Sims 4.

Community survey:
    https://simscommunity.info/2020/04/28/the-sims-4-survey-vote-for-potential-new-features-and-improvements/

Community pack section:
    https://forums.thesims.com/en_US/categories/community-sp-proj-2

First community pack voting:
    https://kotaku.com/the-sims-4-community-is-fighting-about-laundry-1796721946

There was also an independent poll and 2.5K people did pick Star Wars as a pack theme:
    https://extratime.media/2020/08/28/sims-4-star-wars-game-pack-last-thing-players-wanted/
    Star Wars pack does have rabbit hole hotels, so two opposites I guess won and lost the poll. LOL
    @Scobre okay then i'll ask for a shrek pack and then when it's done i'll say seee?? I asked for it guys stop complaining!!
    anyways you're right. we should praise the devs for taking our feedback! they gave us pool and basements! oh my god! who would've thought?? we got firefighters too omg yes. and they are so well done so fleshed out soo well done amazingly beautiful. devs really hears us and listens to us. what was i doing complaining all this time?? (sarcasm for if it wasn't understood).

sorry it's just i don't know what kind of reaction are you expecting. my point still stands. the fact that some people asked for something means nothing. because all the other people that asked for more generic, basic and popular things are still being ignored. it's been SIX years.
    the sims were conceived from an idea, but ts4 keeps getting further away from it. i'm not even talking about the star wars pack, i'm talking about the game in general. you can't ignore all the flaws and focus on the rainbows because all that's gotten us is less and less quality. because people settles with anything. sorry i care too much about this game but it has so much potential and kinda upsets me how it's being wasted.
    besides, if the game was well done from the start, i can assure you an star wars pack wouldn't have had so much backlash.
    so, how many times do i have to mention priorities?
    @Scobre okay then i'll ask for a shrek pack and then when it's done i'll say seee?? I asked for it guys stop complaining!!
    anyways you're right. we should praise the devs for taking our feedback! they gave us pool and basements! oh my god! who would've thought?? we got firefighters too omg yes. and they are so well done so fleshed out soo well done amazingly beautiful. devs really hears us and listens to us. what was i doing complaining all this time?? (sarcasm for if it wasn't understood).

sorry it's just i don't know what kind of reaction are you expecting. my point still stands. the fact that some people asked for something means nothing. because all the other people that asked for more generic, basic and popular things are still being ignored. it's been SIX years.
    the sims were conceived from an idea, but ts4 keeps getting further away from it. i'm not even talking about the star wars pack, i'm talking about the game in general. you can't ignore all the flaws and focus on the rainbows because all that's gotten us is less and less quality. because people settles with anything. sorry i care too much about this game but it has so much potential and kinda upsets me how it's being wasted.
    besides, if the game was well done from the start, i can assure you an star wars pack wouldn't have had so much backlash.
    so, how many times do i have to mention priorities?
    No worries. I know if it had not been designed to be an MMO game initially, it wouldn't have had this much backlash. It is like SimCity all over again. Why I worry when the CEO wants to push the Sims 5 to MMO direction too. I worry history is going to repeat itself. So I am starting to think the Sims 4 might be the last offline game for awhile from this franchise. Why I am kind of glad like with SimCity competition is coming into the market for more options for players. I just figure no matter what happens, the life simulation genre will still continue, just might not be with Maxis.